Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New VISA Debit cards in new york

Options
  • 20-01-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all
    I am heading to new york in march and i need a question answered, I have the hotel sorted. Its my first time there am I right in saying that they will need a credit card on time of check-in, if so i have no credit card but only the VISA debit cards from the ulsterbank and the TSB has anyone used these cards in NYC before for this purpose, I am sure i can use it while shopping and what not but i just want to know if the hotel requires a credit card and not a debit card. If I nedd a credit card i will have to apply for one soon. Any help will be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

alan2009 wrote: »
    Hi all
    I am heading to new york in march and i need a question answered, I have the hotel sorted. Its my first time there am I right in saying that they will need a credit card on time of check-in, if so i have no credit card but only the VISA debit cards from the ulsterbank and the TSB has anyone used these cards in NYC before for this purpose, I am sure i can use it while shopping and what not but i just want to know if the hotel requires a credit card and not a debit card. If I nedd a credit card i will have to apply for one soon. Any help will be much appreciated

I used my debit card the last time that I stayed in a hotel. But, I also pre-paid my hotel through priceline.com.

Previously, they would require a certain amount of money to be held on your card for security. This could be between $50 to $200 depending on the chain. If you know what place you will be staying at, you should either call them directly or go to their website and see if they have a FAQ section that will address debit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

I've generally found us hotels (most hotels actually) require credit cards

More info about debt cards being used at hotels:

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/use-debit-card-hotels-1471.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32 alan2009

Thanks killerwrench I think ill head the road of getting credit card just because I don't like the sound of hotels putting a holding charge into my ac and then coming home and maybe it not being refunded or some thing alot of hassle methinks but hopefully it'll work out I don't wanna spend to much on cards I am bringing as much cash as I can thanks for the article though.

P.S any tips for NYC

Sorry friend, wrong coast. :D

I ain't never been and ain't itching to, either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

There is also the option of visa travel cards.....which have been introduced to replace travellers checks......in effect it's a credit card that you can pre-load, at my bank it costs $4.95 to load the card and you can put up to $5000 on it.....they are also reloadable.

The advantage of them over the previous form of pre-paid cards, is that the bank you purchase it from inputs your details when you load it, so when it's swiped the hotel system will be shown the name of the owner just like if you had a credit card in your name.

Advertisement