Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding: songs (as Gaeilge) and tune suggestions?

Options
  • 20-01-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Could some of you cultured people help us out with wedding suggestions? The mass will all be in the Irish. Most of the tunes which I like tend to be sad like Dónal Lunny's Declan or The Lonesome Boatman (I'd be second to none at finding funeral music!).

I was thinking of Ó Cearbhalláin tunes but, with the exception of Tabhair dom do lámh and Sí bheag, Sí Mhór, I don't know any more. Both of us have strong north Meath/southwest Bréifne connections and the wedding is in this area, so Ó Cearbhalláin would be a good choice in terms of tradition in this area.

What tunes and instruments would you suggest for those tunes? What songs would you suggest? I love Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh's Slán le Máigh and Mícheál Ó Domhnaill's Casadh an tSúgáin, but again both are probably too mournful for a wedding. Any recommendation for happy or more appropriate songs?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

For tunes by Ó Cearbhalláin what about his Welcome and his Concerto.

For songs if your name is John this should fit the bill perfectly.

http://youtu.be/-pa1Qbq0A_U

I was going to suggest Bean Pháidín until I read a translation of the lyrics
    http://www.celticlyricscorner.net/chonaola/bean.htm

Suitable tune "Haste to the Wedding" followed by "Banish Misfortune"

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

will you have musicians to play these or some on CD?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 mmanners

Hi there, it all really depends on if you are going for an instrumenal group of musicians or want a singer. Here are some of my suggestions. I have played all of these at weddings. What's appropriate also depends really very much on your priest and what type of music he might allow. Most are fine. Pieces of music that are associated with funeral masses can be lovely pieces of music and are played regularly at weddings.

Ag criost an siol
    carrickfergus
    mo ghr'sa mo dhia
    roisin dubh
    the cliffs of dooneen

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The wedding march from "Island Wedding" by Charlie Lennon
    Inis Oirr
    Sliabh geal gcua all instrumental
    For songs/hyymns Some of the Molaise mass by Liam lawton would be lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

We had An Coolin for the offerings and Fanny Power during the lighting of the candles

• Advertisement
Advertisement