Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etta James RIP

Options
  • 20-01-2012 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭

Sad news, she was one of the greats.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/01/20/showbiz/etta-james-obit/?hpt=hp_t1
    Etta James, whose assertive, earthy voice lit up such hits as "The Wallflower," "Something's Got a Hold on Me" and the wedding favorite "At Last," has died, according to her longtime friend and manager, Lupe De Leon. She was 73.
    She died from complications from leukemia with her husband, Artis Mills, and her sons by her side, De Leon said.
    She was diagnosed with leukemia in 2010, and also suffered from dementia and hepatitis C. James died at a hospital in Riverside, California. She would have turned 74 Wednesday.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Very sad news.

RIP Etta.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

At Last

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Sad news.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,878 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

A sad end to a great life and voice. One of my all-time favourite singers and one of the most iconic female voices ever. There is no one else who could have done her songs justice. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

The really sad thing is that most people of a younger generation haven't a clue who she is...

A true legend RIP...

Keyzer wrote: »
    The really sad thing is that most people of a younger generation haven't a clue who she is...

A true legend RIP...

Adele sounds almost exactly like her and cites her as an inspiration, so hopefully she'll bring some more young people to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Adele sounds almost exactly like her and cites her as an inspiration, so hopefully she'll bring some more young people to her.

Not to sound condescending but Adele sounds nothing like Etta James and couldn't hold a candle to her...

Not to sound condescending but Adele sounds nothing like Etta James and couldn't hold a candle to her...

I didn't say she was as good as Etta James, but she definitely sounds somewhat like her. It's very obvious that she takes inspiration from her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Maybe they have their own true legends to look up to.

Advertisement