Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICB Credit Report

• 20-01-2012 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

I didn't want to derail the "Meteor Nightmare" thread so thought I would ask the question here...

This link - http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Accessing_Your_Personal_Information/14.htm - states that you have a right to find out, free of charge, if a person (an individual or an organisation) holds information about you. You also have a right to be given a description of the information and to be told the purpose(s) for holding your information.

If I'm reading that correctly an individual has a right to find out if 1. an organisation has information on me, 2. a description of the information and 3. the purpose of holding the information. Is there a right to the actual information that they hold?

The reason I ask is the ICB change 6 euro for a credit report. From the ICB front page Under Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003, you are entitled to receive a full copy of any data held in your respect on ICB's database. There is a 6.00 Euro fee per application.

So if I wrote to the ICB looking for their information on me I could expect to receive a stock reply something along the lines of "1. yes we have your information, 2. it is a record of credits etc. that you have with banks, 3. it is used to determine credit scores", but the not the credit information itself.

Is that correct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

padraig.od wrote: »
    I didn't want to derail the "Meteor Nightmare" thread so thought I would ask the question here...

This link - http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Accessing_Your_Personal_Information/14.htm - states that you have a right to find out, free of charge, if a person (an individual or an organisation) holds information about you. You also have a right to be given a description of the information and to be told the purpose(s) for holding your information.

If I'm reading that correctly an individual has a right to find out if 1. an organisation has information on me, 2. a description of the information and 3. the purpose of holding the information. Is there a right to the actual information that they hold?

The reason I ask is the ICB change 6 euro for a credit report. From the ICB front page Under Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003, you are entitled to receive a full copy of any data held in your respect on ICB's database. There is a 6.00 Euro fee per application.

So if I wrote to the ICB looking for their information on me I could expect to receive a stock reply something along the lines of "1. yes we have your information, 2. it is a record of credits etc. that you have with banks, 3. it is used to determine credit scores", but the not the credit information itself.

Is that correct?
    Yes that would be the information that would have to be given to you free but remember that the ICB do not hold information on you as such unless you have loans or have had loans in the past which were drawn from institutions registered with the ICB

If you wanted this basic information any company holds then it must be given to you free of charge but to obtain a copy of all files and information a company or organisation holds on you they may ask for a fee of no more than €6.35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Yes that would be the information that would have to be given to you free but remember that the ICB do not hold information on you as such unless you have loans or have had loans in the past which were drawn from institutions registered with the ICB

If you wanted this basic information any company holds then it must be given to you free of charge but to obtain a copy of all files and information a company or organisation holds on you they may ask for a fee of no more than €6.35.

Ok thanks for the information, was just curious. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Can I ask for information directly from a bank that would cover more than my bank statement.

Information such as notes on my account, memos concerning my account and any loans, ect.

Advertisement