Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is going on with UCDSU??

Options
  • 20-01-2012 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

First of all, I'll say this. I am no longer a student here, graduating a few years ago. But I still feel an attachment to the old place, and I go out there to play football once a week.

Without getting into personal details or anything like that, can someone tell me what is going on with the Students Union? I heard about the closure of the photocopying centre in December and felt it was extremely bad form to sack people just before Christmas, ruining a happy Christmas for them and their families.

I have heard this story today http://www.collegetribune.ie/index.php/2012/01/student-outrage-over-books-dumped/

14-18k worth of books thrown away. What on earth is happening there?

If mods want to close this, that's fine. I can understand that.I dont want people ranting and raving and saying unsubstantiated things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Without getting into personal details or anything like that, can someone tell me what is going on with the Students Union? I heard about the closure of the photocopying centre in December and felt it was extremely bad form to sack people just before Christmas, ruining a happy Christmas for them and their families.

I have heard this story today http://www.collegetribune.ie/index.php/2012/01/student-outrage-over-books-dumped/

14-18k worth of books thrown away. What on earth is happening there?

Closure is poorly timed, I can agree with that much, but I cannot understand how people get outraged about a service that only helps a limited chunk of the student body.... Printing off lecture notes really isn't that hard, blackboard exists for a reason, if lecturers dont know that/refuse to use it, it is a seperate issue for the education officer to try and deal with.... I dont understand how it'll affect anyone's education tbh :/

As for that valuation, I would imagine it is wildly out of proportion....

I went through those books looking for some actually useful ones, sure if I wanted a book on Java SE4, it'd be great, but the vast majority are worthless and old, if people took them, fair play, but I would imagine most of them are fairly redundant tbh.

I like ragging on the SU as much as the next person, but these two issues are just not that major...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

The SU is also a million euro in debt (see here), I can't really get my head around how it could manage to find itself that far in debt without somebody questioning it a few years before this and altering the whole union however I suppose that is pretty endemic of the country as a whole.

You'll generally find that people who stick up for the SU on this forum will be financial beneficiaries of the SU themselves, through societies etc. It seems, to an outsider such as myself, like the most abhorrent of organisations. Massive waste. Cúnts at every level with their grubby little hands out willing to stick up for it. I could be totally wrong of course.

I struggle to think of even one single benefit that I've received from my roughly €300 paid directly to the SU so far. I'd love to be enlightened though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    You'll generally find that people who stick up for the SU on this forum will be financial beneficiaries of the SU themselves, through societies etc. It seems, to an outsider such as myself, like the most abhorrent of organisations. Massive waste. Cúnts at every level with their grubby little hands out willing to stick up for it. I could be totally wrong of course.

I struggle to think of even one single benefit that I've received from my roughly €300 paid directly to the SU so far. I'd love to be enlightened though!

Societies are completely independent from the SU. A lot of them are older then the SU. They are economically independent from the SU. Only Belfield FM and The Observer are SU supported.

As for this number of 300? Fairly sure you made it up. Your contribution is something like 27 euro a year. I am as anti SU as the next man, and I think the book throwing out was moronic, but its good value. If you want to have this argument have it in another thread.

If you want to bash SU officers go ahead. I also disagree with a lot of work they do. But I never for a second doubt they're doing work worthy of the relatively **** amount of pay they actually receive.

thats fantastic that you feel like you're getting such value from the su. Personally i define an organisation as being fundamentally flawed when my only interaction with it is when i'm being asked to pay at the start of the year. And as for the services they provide? Well i paid quite a lot whenever i used the copy place, its not like it was free.

• Advertisement

whats the relatively **** amount of money? The only figure i've seen was roughly 50k pa. They dont deserve a third of that!

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    The SU is also a million euro in debt (see here), I can't really get my head around how it could manage to find itself that far in debt without somebody questioning it a few years before this and altering the whole union however I suppose that is pretty endemic of the country as a whole.

Accounts were never public, no one really knew.

I'll defend the SU for schemes they run that are legitimately helpful/whatever (Like pretty much anything run by the welfare end of things), I think the vast majority of ents is just wasteful (New constitution will likely sort that tbh), campaigns is just a non-position and so on.

I am unwilling to get into specifics for a variety of reasons.
    errlloyd wrote: »
    Societies are completely independent from the SU. A lot of them are older then the SU. They are economically independent from the SU. Only Belfield FM and The Observer are SU supported.

As for this number of 300? Fairly sure you made it up. Your contribution is something like 27 euro a year. I am as anti SU as the next man, and I think the book throwing out was moronic, but its good value. If you want to have this argument have it in another thread.

If you want to bash SU officers go ahead. I also disagree with a lot of work they do. But I never for a second doubt they're doing work worthy of the relatively **** amount of pay they actually receive.

Yeah, there's seems to be some chronic misinformation regarding how much the SU gets from different people.

I disagree with the last sentence though..... some of them are doing work blah blah blah.....

fad, i would have zero problem if every cent i gave the su was spent on student welfare, mental health etc. You know, equipping people with the tools they meed to live a fuller life while at a supposedly world class center of learning!

whats the relatively **** amount of money? The only figure i've seen was roughly 50k pa. They dont deserve a third of that!

Its about 18-20 tax free.

Think most of us would be hoping thats not far off our starting salaries when we leave?

As for doing work Fad. I'd say the Welfare officer this year has done on average about 11 hours a weekday, and 5 hours a day most weekends. Now she's a workaholic, but thats another issue.

I guess the office you're in mostly is a **** load closer to them then the office I am mostly. We're fairly insulated up in Roebuck.

As for doing work Fad. I'd say the Welfare officer this year has done on average about 11 hours a weekday, and 5 hours a day most weekends. Now she's a workaholic, but thats another issue.

I guess the office you're in mostly is a **** load closer to them then the office I am mostly. We're fairly insulated up in Roebuck.

She's mental.

I tend to ignore whatever SU stuff is going on around me (Because I generally dont care), becoming increasingly jaded as I go on in the year... I hear things, and oddly I see things, like particular sabbats being absent a lot. Anyway, I care care about one end of the union, ents can get to fúck.

• Advertisement

Its about 18-20 tax free.

Think most of us would be hoping thats not far off our starting salaries when we leave?

do you mean after tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

Fad wrote: »
    Accounts were never public, no one really knew.

Whats the rational behind this? Surely it couldnt hurt to have the accounts be public, let people see where exactly their money is going. If its mostly on useful things (welfare services etc) rather than things like class rep party trips then I cant see it being a problem.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Whats the rational behind this? Surely it couldnt hurt to have the accounts be public, let people see where exactly their money is going. If its mostly on useful things (welfare services etc) rather than things like class rep party trips then I cant see it being a problem.

I have absolutely no idea, I'm of the opinion weekly accounts should be done out and published.... And by that I mean, serious accounts, like how much each ents affiliated night takes in (How much the signature group makes would be interesting to know, keeping people honest too.....).

do you mean after tax?

Their position is required by the government so it isn't taxed. Or something similar to that.

No idea about the accounts tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It appears to be run by morons is all I can discern who don't really know what it is an su is for. One in particular seems a complete tool.but I shant name them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I don't think the sabats are immune from paying income tax anymore. Some have earned their 22k, while others absolutely have not. I'm sure you know exactly who I'm referring to.

Last year's ball ran at a loss... to be honest, it seems to be well known that Ents runs at a loss. It seems that the SU thinks it's redundant, judging by reports on a the new SU Constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Fad wrote: »
    Closure is poorly timed, I can agree with that much, but I cannot understand how people get outraged about a service that only helps a limited chunk of the student body.... Printing off lecture notes really isn't that hard, blackboard exists for a reason, if lecturers dont know that/refuse to use it, it is a seperate issue for the education officer to try and deal with.... I dont understand how it'll affect anyone's education tbh :/

When I did Arts, not that long ago mind you I found it a great resource, in tandem with online stuff like blackboard and JSTOR. Also the lecturers used to put in book chapters of out of print books, and with all the books in the library always taken when you look for them for your essays it was vital, and still would be even in a more modern world.

Also even if they were to close the place, they could shuffle the staff into another area to provide a service for the students. Some of the staff were there over 20 years and were treated like something you'd step on.

Anyway, thanks for the answers folks. Seems to be that the apathy I witnessed in college towards the SU has gotten even worse. Such a shame as Universities should be highly politicised and radical, when UCD seems to be the opposite. The spirit of 1968 is dead and gone, it's with Hugh Brady in the grave.

**Disclaimer, I wish no harm upon Hugh Brady, it just rhymed with the Yeats poem

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

When I did Arts, not that long ago mind you I found it a great resource
    Great, that's one person.

I guess those rumors of there not being enough people using it to support the service weren't true after all because this guy who used to do arts in UCD said he used it!
    Those damn Liars, I bet they just closed it down for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I pretty much said all of this three years ago. No one listened to me then no one gave a ****e. I doubt anyone will give a ****e this year either.

I asked for reform of the union and went to my rep who was too afraid to propose a motion in council. She didnt want to rock the boat. I asked about funding for pens and stupid events and the mismanagement of funds and was told to shut up. 1m in debt. Cant say I am entire suprised but on the other hand

OMGWTF SWIMMING POOOL !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Did I read somewhere that they spent 8,000 on stationary last year? You could virtually fund the radio station for that amount!

• Advertisement

wow. Makes you wonder if there are any personal relationships involved in these transactions. The su invites this kind of scrutiny by not making accounts public.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

The accounts will be public in about 2-3 weeks time dont worry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

._. wrote: »
    Great, that's one person.

I guess those rumors of there not being enough people using it to support the service weren't true after all because this guy who used to do arts in UCD said he used it!
    Those damn Liars, I bet they just closed it down for fun.

LoL good one.

I also made us of the copy print to get notes while it was open, and often when I went in, there would be a decent few people ahead of me. It most definitely was used by a substantial amount of students.

The accounts will be public in about 2-3 weeks time dont worry :)

Is this a new thing or was it a straw-man when it was presented to me in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

LoL good one.

I also made us of the copy print to get notes while it was open, and often when I went in, there would be a decent few people ahead of me. It most definitely was used by a substantial amount of students.

...Why did they close it down then? To improve their public image?

In any case, anecdotal evidence like you just posted isn't evidence at all.

Is this a new thing or was it a straw-man when it was presented to me in the first place?

Pat announced (Last week at SU council iirc, I was there taking notes as a favour to someone) that they accounting firm that's going through all the accounts is nearly done and that the accounts will be released in two or three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The welfare officer is a star. I hope shes reading this becuase I know a lot of people in very difficult circumstances she went above the call of duty for. Having said that theres others in the su that should give a credible explanation about the 100,000 debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

Students should not have to pay for the Union fee up front. It should be voluntary.

That'll but pressure of the UCDSU to perform so that they can get students can sign up and pay voluntarily for their "services".

A sizable amount of the Union's budget goes to the UCD Ball. I don't pay a Union fee for a stupid low-grade concert/piss-up - in fact I've never gone to anything that Ents has organised. The UCD Ball should be cancelled and UCD Ents should be irradiated. A waste of bloody money if you ask me and I'd say a majority of UCD students don't benefit from it. These sort of social events should be left to societies. I'd rather money from UCD Ents going into more photocopying service/ SUAS computers (especially around the science block).

UCDSU officers' salaries should also be cut (big time). Some Sabbats don't deserve ~€20,000 a year for the amount of "work" they do.

Also, term limits should be introduced. Two years max (maybe less!!) for any sabbatical officer.

Another idea would be to have two "union" bodies competing against each other to provide better services.

Finally, UCDSU NEEDS TO BE TAUGHT ABOUT THE MERITS OF FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Students should not have to pay for the Union fee up front. It should be voluntary.

That'll but pressure of the UCDSU to perform so that they can get students can sign up and pay voluntarily for their "services".

A sizable amount of the Union's budget goes to the UCD Ball. I don't pay a Union fee for a stupid low-grade concert/piss-up - in fact I've never gone to anything that Ents has organised. The UCD Ball should be cancelled and UCD Ents should be irradiated. A waste of bloody money if you ask me and I'd say a majority of UCD students don't benefit from it. These sort of social events should be left to societies. I'd rather money from UCD Ents going into more photocopying service/ SUAS computers (especially around the science block).

UCDSU officers' salaries should also be cut (big time). Some Sabbats don't deserve ~€20,000 a year for the amount of "work" they do.

Also, term limits should be introduced. Two years max (maybe less!!) for any sabbatical officer.

Another idea would be to have two "union" bodies competing against each other to provide better services.

Finally, UCDSU NEEDS TO BE TAUGHT ABOUT THE MERITS OF FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY!!

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

To be fair, Ents, when run by a competent sabbat, is a great asset to UCD. Some fantastic acts have played the student bar over the last 5 years; these have no doubt enriched the college experiences of thousands of students. The problem is that when its run by someone incompetent its allowed to operate at a massive loss.

A bit more oversight of Ents by the general SU (someone should really have rubbished the more grandiose UCD Ball plans of certain recent years that ended up as abject failures - 40e to see some has been boy bands? Really?) and a bit more oversight of the general SU's budget (through public accounts) by the students would help massively in solving this.

Advertisement