Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is going on with UCDSU??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I dont accept that the su got into that debt unless something dodgy was going on.

I agree with with you. There's a full audit of the accounts going to be published soon. We'll see what happened then hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Fad wrote: »
    I agree with with you. There's a full audit of the accounts going to be published soon. We'll see what happened then hopefully.

Cool Ill also add that Im not the type of person to berate the su with despicable personal comments like some people do. All im saying is if some members of the su were engaged in whatever it would be for the benifit of the hardworking members of the su for it to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Cool Ill also add that Im not the type of person to berate the su with despicable personal comments like some people do. All im saying is if some members of the su were engaged in whatever it would be for the benifit of the hardworking members of the su for it to come out.

Hardworking? Ahhh here now....

BX 19 wrote: »
    Hardworking? Ahhh here now....

Well as I commented earlier the welfare officer is a star and I hear good things about pat de brun.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gradlife

I feel bad for Pat de Brun, I feel like he's stuck in a horrible situation and is handling it much better than previous presidents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

gradlife wrote: »
    I feel bad for Pat de Brun, I feel like he's stuck in a horrible situation and is handling it much better than previous presidents.

Yup completely agree. Hes had to make some tough decisions and people are acting as if hes been in charge for 10 years and gotten the union in the mess its in.

gradlife wrote: »

Yup completely agree. Hes had to make some tough decisions and people are acting as if hes been in charge for 10 years and gotten the union in the mess its in.

+10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I like Pat. But let's not be so disingenuous as to suggest that he got into the Union, and UCD politics in general, safe in the knowledge that they were making loads of money. Come on lads, get real!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If it's true that these officers are paid around the 30k mark it's something of a disgrace, in particular that Ents guy whom I believe to be a complete buffoon.

Talented graduate's are struggling to get anything other than internships that don't pay close to that. Some brilliant students are struggling to pay fees and probably suffering as a result. Maybe they should could the wages, have the officers engage in classes that would perhaps aide them in their work and if they perform to a good enough standard reward them with some credit for final year and maybe a partial waiver of the final year fee.

They get something on their CV that looks great, it will attract people who care about the university and its students and those who are looking to get something rewarding out their own degree instead of what seem to be folk who are there merely to have a good time.

They get paid between 20k and 22k, which I still think is a bit high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

They get paid between 20k and 22k, which I still think is a bit high.
    As a PhD student getting 18k funding a year, I'm inclined to agree.

I'm open to correction on this but I think the Ents sabbat is paid 20k and the rest are paid 22k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm open to correction on this but I think the Ents sabbat is paid 20k and the rest are paid 22k.

Consider yourself corrected. All on around 20

errlloyd wrote: »
    Consider yourself corrected. All on around 20

20,800 if we want to be correct. However, I have reason to believe that the figure for all, bar the Ents officer, is about 1k more than that.

If the ents sabbat is only taking his base salary away at the end of the month I'll eat my hat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

Fad wrote: »
    If the ents sabbat is only taking his base salary away at the end of the month I'll eat my hat

The Ents officer (if hes not completely incompetent) is probably taking home something close to his salary again in promotional kickbacks. Not to mention the fact that it also sets them up for a few years of doing so in future.

The Ents salary could easily be slashed by 50% and people would still be queing up to do it for the networking (not to mention social status) it provides.

Blut2 wrote: »
    The Ents officer (if hes not completely incompetent) is probably taking home something close to his salary again in promotional kickbacks. Not to mention the fact that it also sets them up for a few years of doing so in future.

The Ents salary could easily be slashed by 50% and people would still be queing up to do it for the networking (not to mention social status) it provides.

+ 1

Come on lads, the Ents management is going over to a company, which the present Ents Sabbat is involved with, next year. That position is all about networking.

On an aside, have all the sabbats completed degrees? I know Gary Redmond's degree is no longer available, due to the fact that the classes have changed during his (prolonged) absence.

Blut2 wrote: »
    The Ents officer (if hes not completely incompetent) is probably taking home something close to his salary again in promotional kickbacks. Not to mention the fact that it also sets them up for a few years of doing so in future. The Ents salary could easily be slashed by 50% and people would still be queing up to do it for the networking (not to mention social status) it provides.
    + 1
    Come on lads, the Ents management is going over to a company, which the present Ents Sabbat is involved with, next year. That position is all about networking.
    On an aside, have all the sabbats completed degrees? I know Gary Redmond's degree is no longer available, due to the fact that the classes have changed during his (prolonged) absence.

I would have thought that the contracting of a private company, for what is probably no small amount, would require the input of the entire student body. Entirely self serving group looking out for their own future interests rather than for the good of the other 20000+ students currently enrolled.and the many future students too

Dont think so.

School of CS are continuing to support CS through arts students afaik though. There's a few still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

As much as I hate to admit it (Not because of any personal feelings towards him just because of my general anti-union stance :p), I am actually quite impressed with how Pat de Brun has handled the last few weeks.

I'm not sure how much he instigated as I imagine the banks were pretty insistent that the finances get sorted but at least he seems to be taking the bull by the horns.

I've been in UCD nearly five years now and the only time I've gone near that Bureau was to get a travelcard. Clearly had to be closed although it could potentially have been handled better.

As for Ents it seems to be going quite well. Virtually impossible to prevent those involved from cashing in with various clubs although you'd like to think the money should go back to the students!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Can't believe no one's even mentioned USI!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

gubbie wrote: »

The new constitution is going to require a referendum on membership every four years. Couple this with Trinity SU pondering their withdrawal USI mightn't be around much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

gubbie wrote: »

Why? What do USI have to do with UCDSU being €1m in debt and firing staff members the week before xmas? It's an internal issue, and USI would have no power over the actual internal operations of UCDSU on a 'business operations' level.
    pljudge321 wrote: »
    The new constitution is going to require a referendum on membership every four years. Couple this with Trinity SU pondering their withdrawal USI mightn't be around much longer.

Why would USI cease to exist just because trinity and ucd might pull out? There are dozens of other member unions that are affiliated even if they do! It may have to downsize its operations in that instance, but it would take a lot more than that to do away with USI!

Dwaegon wrote: »
    Why would USI cease to exist just because trinity and ucd might pull out? There are dozens of other member unions that are affiliated even if they do! It may have to downsize its operations in that instance, but it would take a lot more than that to do away with USI!

Now considering UCD and TCD have nearly 40,000 students between them, that would be an awful lot for them to lose representation of. DCU and UL are not members as far as I know (unless they've rejoined in the last year) and that accounts for another 20,000 students. Maynooth did in the past 2 years rejoin after a near 10 year absence.

The USI claims to represent 250,000 students. there are around 190,000 students according to the HEA, though that does not include those pursuing PLC courses or doing access courses. Either way, I find it difficult to believe that they are representing as many as they say they are, if they lose that 40,000, that's a substantial hit. If any of the otehr Unis or bigger IoTs see them jumping ship they may decide it's not worthwhile themselves.

Either way, it's wide open what will happen I say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Dwaegon wrote: »
    Why? What do USI have to do with UCDSU being €1m in debt and firing staff members the week before xmas? It's an internal issue, and USI would have no power over the actual internal operations of UCDSU on a 'business operations' level.

Because it is €125,000 of ill spent money we can no longer afford to spend every year. If UCD and Trinity both pull out that leaves them without any of the three Dublin universities, as well as down circa €240,000 in revenue stream each year. Its easy to see other colleges pulling out of what would essentially be a lame duck union.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Because it is €125,000 of ill spent money we can no longer afford to spend every year. If UCD and Trinity both pull out that leaves them without any of the three Dublin universities, as well as down circa €240,000 in revenue stream each year. Its easy to see other colleges pulling out of what would essentially be a lame duck union.

I don't think it's ill spent! I think it's vastly important that I, as a student, am represented by a large organisation on a national level! I think that without USI in this country, there would be no remotely united student movement!

And I'll tell you one thing that's assured! As soon as there's wind of a new budget, or any government decision coming that will harm students, those colleges that may have chosen to disaffiliate will be crashing every USI demonstration they can, in order to get media attention, because they as an individual union will have found themselves wholly incompetent on a national scale!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

http://www.collegetribune.ie/index.php/2012/02/proposed-ucd-su-constitution/
    New consitution just released..
    Also Trib editor Ryan Cullen got the comeback of the year on Lacey earlier on facebok

Just had a quick glance, and I see no mention of Ents which im guessing as to do with the private company coming in. Now I don't really care, it's probably the least important of the position that was there. Societies could effectively team together to organise events, and for maybe one or 2 bigger events a committee could have looked over it.

But there's probably some role reserved for the current ents if he is involved with bringing the private promotions company, and if there is, there'd better be outrage.

Anyway, i'll look over the more important stuff when I have no work to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jazzmatazz90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

That put-down is just heroic.

Advertisement