Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rdf waiting time

• 20-01-2012 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

i put my name down to join the reserves about 10 months ago now and still have heard anyone else hae that sort of waiting time or is it just me have rang the barracks and the unit but havent been told much than call back again next week:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Which unit is it and have you been to the barracks on a parade night at all during this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭u got banned

Which unit is it and have you been to the barracks on a parade night at all during this time?
    its the 62nd mps up in cathal brugha my father knows lads out of the un it so im been getting him to ask but its the same have been up the barracks about 4 to 5 times since i applied

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

its the 62nd mps up in cathal brugha my father knows lads out of the un it so im been getting him to ask but its the same have been up the barracks about 4 to 5 times since i applied

Keep turning up for every parade to show your interest and at least annoy them into quickining your swearing in. There is probably a huge waiting list and recruitment for 2012 I don't think has been sanctioned yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Well fair play, you're doing all you can. All I can say is keep on to them the way you have been and at a guess I'd say you're looking at another month or two before anything might happen, but no one's really sure of exactly when or how much recruitment there will be.

Have you completed a Garda vetting application form or medical yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

i put my name down to join the reserves about 10 months ago now and still have heard anyone else hae that sort of waiting time or is it just me have rang the barracks and the unit but havent been told much than call back again next week:confused:
    I would agree with ruserious turn up for every parade so they dont for get you, i applied in 2009 and still waiting, they had lost me in the book :( put me at the top of the list tho :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

Current waiting time in my unit is 16 months.

Then again, they could have easily lost your paperwork or couldn't really care less - they have so many applicants that they are only looking for an excuse to get you off the list. Keep trying to contact them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

theres a recruitment ban service wide on the RDF which includes the Naval Service Reserve. it has been in effect for over a year. there will be no further recruitment until the VFM report on the Defence Forces is complete. At this stage the DOD will make decisions on the future of the Defence Forces of which the Reserve Defence Forces is currently a component. There is no set date on this VFM report being completed as it was due in august last year and has repeatedly slipped and until then you will hear nothing regarding reserves as there is no recruitment, you will see periodic limited recruitment in the permanent defence forces to keep numbers up at 9500, but nothing for reserves.

Morphéus wrote: »
    theres a recruitment ban service wide on the RDF which includes the Naval Service Reserve. it has been in effect for over a year.

I think some cadre is yanking your chain. 20 recruits taken on in S Bde in last 2/3 months - 20 more due in the next few weeks. Recruits have already started training in module 2. It isn't much but there is definitely no recruitment ban. I know there is a hold on security checks but any that were processed prior to the hold (Nov 2011) are still being progressed.

And I have all that info in writing - I don't believe anything cadre tell me unless I see it in writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Doctor14 wrote: »
    I think some cadre is yanking your chain. 20 recruits taken on in S Bde in last 2/3 months - 20 more due in the next few weeks. Recruits have already started training in module 2. It isn't much but there is definitely no recruitment ban. I know there is a hold on security checks but any that were processed prior to the hold (Nov 2011) are still being progressed.

And I have all that info in writing - I don't believe anything cadre tell me unless I see it in writing.

What guarantee is there that any of these new entrants will be attested? Nothing and I mean NOTHING has been approved for the RDF in 2012. Not even mandays.

What guarantee is there that any of these new entrants will be attested? Nothing and I mean NOTHING has been approved for the RDF in 2012. Not even mandays.
    Already attested, uniformed and begun training with the BTCs.

• Advertisement

what proof have you of this and if this is the case then why is every other brigade and corps unit being told that there is no recruitment for the last 6 months at least? If you have info that you can share which will help your comrades in the other brigades, we'd appreciate more info on the matter, maybe a PM? our units are dying around us corporals are the new 3 stars at the minute, its a pretty dismal outlook due to lack of recruits and privates.

Morphéus wrote: »
    what proof have you of this and if this is the case then why is every other brigade and corps unit being told that there is no recruitment for the last 6 months at least? If you have info that you can share which will help your comrades in the other brigades, we'd appreciate more info on the matter, maybe a PM? our units are dying around us corporals are the new 3 stars at the minute, its a pretty dismal outlook due to lack of recruits and privates.
    What proof is there of what you have said? I've asked around and no one knows anything about this recruitment ban that you are talking about. Recruitment continues as it has - slow and limited but happening.
    The proof I have is that there is nearly 40 recruits being trained in the south - mentioned on
    http://www.1bderdf.com/apps/calendar/showEvent?calID=498486&eventID=158919246
    One of my units recruits was sworn in just before the last weekends training and got his uniform. You are the one with the false info as far as I can see - as I have always said, don't listen to the crap that your cadre are spouting- or the others who are passing on what their cadre are saying. Anything to get out of work.

What proof is there of what you have said? I've asked around and no one knows anything about this recruitment ban that you are talking about. Recruitment continues as it has - slow and limited but happening.
    The proof I have is that there is nearly 40 recruits being trained in the south - mentioned on
    http://www.1bderdf.com/apps/calendar/showEvent?calID=498486&eventID=158919246
    One of my units recruits was sworn in just before the last weekends training and got his uniform. You are the one with the false info as far as I can see - as I have always said, don't listen to the crap that your cadre are spouting- or the others who are passing on what their cadre are saying. Anything to get out of work.

They are being trained. They did not commence training this year. No recruits are being taken.

They are being trained. They did not commence training this year. No recruits are being taken.

:eek::eek::eek:

Ok - In English

Recruits taken on THIS year (2012). Sworn in AFTER 1 Jan 2012 Commenced training THIS year (2012). Got their uniform THIS year (2012). Recruits STILL being sworn in.

Can't say it any simpler than that.

Impossible.
    I hope the minister does not find out.

who approved the intake of recruits for you southies? If the PDF find out - nevermind the minister - then there'll be hell to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

Must get onto my old unit see what the sceál is.
    Perhaps they were sworn in at the start of last year and only called now when courses and uniform etc became available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Impossible.
    I hope the minister does not find out.

It might be alot of things but impossible is not one of them, four new recruites in my Company this year, they were sworn in two weeks ago by our comanding officer.
    They have had their paper work sorted, medicals passed, getting their uniforms in limerick next week.

There is also a training program set out for them, several weekends and a summer camp. The first training weekend has already taken place.

The training weekends were not organised by your unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

The training weekends were not organised by your unit.

I dident say they were, just that they are happening for new recruits in the southern brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭u got banned

got told by a lad today that there will definatly be recruiting this year in the eastern brigade anyway dont know about the rest and that there should be a good intake of troops before april or march

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Brutus.

I'm a 2star in 34th battalion in cork. My Captain has been telling a few of our recruits for this year that there garda vetting has been cleared and they are trying to organise a night to get the medical and hearing test done before they will be attested. just a weekend or two ago the btc were up in kilkenny waiting for this years new recruits to show up for training but when asked to comment how many showed up he had no comment.. Raging no doubt.
    Apparently the btc were informed months ago that the recruits wud be ready for training sometime this month but as always it was not gonna happen. just be patient coz it seems there recruiting in my local area anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 29 62 Reserve Battalion

Brutus. wrote: »
    just a weekend or two ago the btc were up in kilkenny waiting for this years new recruits to show up for training but when asked to comment how many showed up he had no comment.. Raging no doubt.
    Apparently the btc were informed months ago that the recruits wud be ready for training sometime this month but as always it was not gonna happen. just be patient coz it seems there recruiting in my local area anyway

22 Recruits showed up that weekend - 40 expected the next weekend. Any recruits who do not present themselves before Feb 15 will unlikely to be on this years course and will have to wait to 2013. All recruits will also be required to pass the DF Fitness test.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

22 Recruits showed up that weekend - 40 expected the next weekend. Any recruits who do not present themselves before Feb 15 will unlikely to be on this years course and will have to wait to 2013. All recruits will also be required to pass the DF Fitness test.

Are you still talking about S. Bde now, or E. Bde recruits as well?

Maoltuile wrote: »
    Are you still talking about S. Bde now, or E. Bde recruits as well?
    Sorry, was answering a Q in relation to S Bde. Cannot provide any info on E Bde at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

Sorry, was answering a Q in relation to S Bde. Cannot provide any info on E Bde at the moment.

Very interested in the answer on this one, as there are a number of recruits still waiting on training in at least two E. Bde units. Chances of there being such a course, do you know?

Cheers.

Maoltuile wrote: »
    Very interested in the answer on this one, as there are a number of recruits still waiting on training in at least two E. Bde units. Chances of there being such a course, do you know?

Cheers.
    Training must follow the current (new) training syllabus. This is the one the S Bde are using. E Bde should follow the same syllabus. Seeing as E Bde BTC are conducting a PNCOs Cse this year, they may not have the resources to run 2 courses.
    I'm not sure what is being planned.

Advertisement