Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to pay?

Options
  • 20-01-2012 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Looking for some advice here, I gave my Landlord my 1 month notice yesterday (19th). My rent is paid on the 7th of every month which is €825, my question is how much will I have to pay this month as I will only be in the property till the 19th of feb (12 days) I assume it to be 2 weeks would that be correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

You should pay up to the 19th from the 7th, ie 12 days.

If your rent is 825/month, then it's 9900 per annum and 12 days is
    12 / 365 x 9900 = 325 so pay €325.

By working it out on an annual basis, you eliminate the differences in months where there are different numbers of days.

Before you pay it, I'd suggest you make an arrangement for the landlord to meet you and return your deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

exaisle wrote: »
    You should pay up to the 19th from the 7th, ie 12 days.

If your rent is 825/month, then it's 9900 per annum and 12 days is
    12 / 365 x 9900 = 325 so pay €325.

By working it out on an annual basis, you eliminate the differences in months where there are different numbers of days.

Before you pay it, I'd suggest you make an arrangement for the landlord to meet you and return your deposit.

Provided, of course, that you are legally allowed to break your lease. If it is a fixed term lease, you cannot break it just by giving the landlord the "required notice". If you have a break clause, you may do so under the conditions of that clause. Or are you at the end of the lease?

Also, any notice of Termination, to be legal, must be in writing and specify certain things - sample NoT with help notes on the PRTB website (google it!!)

You can only break your lease if you have a Part 4 or Periodic tenancy. And the amount of notice is depends on how long you were in occupancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

odds_on wrote: »
    Provided, of course, that you are legally allowed to break your lease. If it is a fixed term lease, you cannot break it just by giving the landlord the "required notice". If you have a break clause, you may do so under the conditions of that clause. Or are you at the end of the lease?

Also, any notice of Termination, to be legal, must be in writing and specify certain things - sample NoT with help notes on the PRTB website (google it!!)

You can only break your lease if you have a Part 4 or Periodic tenancy. And the amount of notice is depends on how long you were in occupancy.

I'm not breaking the lease, this is my second year, when the first year was up I discussed with the landlord that I wouldn't be staying for another full year, so she asked to just give her a months notice before I leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

well then it's pretty clear, you had no actual physical lease in place, pay her for the 12 days and let that be an end to it

Advertisement