Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

A complete series of shocking decisions made by that driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

A complete series of shocking decisions made by that driver.

1. He decided to overtake
    2. He decided not to come back to the right after passing skoda
    3. He decided not to come back to the right after passing mitsubishi
    4. He decided to move to left hard (or soft) shoulder while oncoming truck was making space for him by doing same.
    5. On left soft shoulder, he decided instead slowing down, to return to the road and skidded and rolled.

Is that it?
    All were crazy, but if any of those decisions was omitted he would have probably end up unharmed.

CiniO wrote: »
    1. He decided to overtake
    2. He decided not to come back to the right after passing skoda
    3. He decided not to come back to the right after passing mitsubishi
    4. He decided to move to left hard (or soft) shoulder while oncoming truck was making space for him by doing same.
    5. On left soft shoulder, he decided instead slowing down, to return to the road and skidded and rolled.

Is that it?
    All were crazy, but if any of those decisions was omitted he would have probably end up unharmed.
    And this is precisely why there are so many "Dash Cam Crash Russia" videos on youtube.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

To be fair the Russians are not afraid to upload the vids even when they are the ones that are completely to blame. Or maybe the insurance companies stick them up.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    To be fair the Russians are not afraid to upload the vids even when they are the ones that are completely to blame. Or maybe the insurance companies stick them up.
    Trying to make a bit of money on the number of views more likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Jesus that cyclist was lucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

^ Fup sake, what bad luck to be involved and how blessed was he to miss that by what looks like inches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

The real wheels of that truck must have missed the cyclist by inches when they came down :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Here is one for you ye all.

Tail end bump, that was harmless.

I know it is 100% the blue cars fault.

The dope in the car in front, kept 20 cars waiting through a two light changes, and her hesitant driving caught the blue car out.

The road was clear. In fact there is a bit of a slip road there where one drives hard and fast to merge.

It seems unfair that the blue car should be held 100% in blame when there is an issue with hesitant bad driving from the car in front.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I hate over-hesitant drivers as much as the next person, but that's inexcusable from the blue car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I hate over-hesitant drivers as much as the next person, but that's inexcusable from the blue car.
    I know it's easy to say afterwards, but I never take my eyes off the car in front in that situation until it actually moves away. You can look to your right all you want, but you can't go anywhere 'till the car in front of you does. I was a passenger in a friends car years ago where the very same thing happened to him. In his case, there was pedestrian traffic lights a few metres around the corner which had just turned red, and he just didn't expect the car in front of him to stop. Even with me shouting "watch, watch, WATCH!":eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Why didn't she join to the left lane, but tried to get into middle lane straight away instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Why didn't she join to the left lane, but tried to get into middle lane straight away instead?

Bad drivers, bad drivers everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Happens on that junction at Old Bawn all the time. Drivers don't realise they should pull out and then merge with traffic, they just wait ages for a point they can pull out straight into traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Good question? It looks like a perfectly safe lane to begin to get up to the speed of the other traffic however it would appear that blue car also wanted to go straight into the 2nd lane as well, going by the direction it was going.

Either way, the front cars brake lights were on for a good 3 seconds before the blue car hit it....way too long not to be paying attention to what is front of you especially when you know there is a car in front.

Blue cars fault 100%....simply not paying attention to everything around. I stop dead at the stop line of every stop line whether there is something coming or not. They're the rules and if someone drives into back of me because they are looking to the right whilst I have come to a full stop in front of me, that's their problem. I'm not breaking the rules of the road simply to accommodate another driver who wishes to break them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Not a typical dashcam video:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

SteM wrote: »
    Happens on that junction at Old Bawn all the time. Drivers don't realise they should pull out and then merge with traffic...

Easier said than done (for less than competent drivers) especially if they must to get to the nearest entrance to the Square as is their right!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Easier said than done (for less than competent drivers) especially if they must to get to the nearest entrance to the Square as is their right!:rolleyes:

They have over 200 meters to move from that junction to the turn off to the Square - not that difficult really. Even if they miss that turn they can turn off to the Square at the next junction which is another 600+ meters further up the road - surely even 'less than competent' drivers can manage that. 'Their right' on the road is to drive safely and to the rules surely, not to ensure that they can get the the shops asap.

Either way, I don't like the fact that there are 'less than competent' drivers around me on the roads and there were 2 of them in that clip. 'Competent' should the very basic level that should be allowed on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Caliden wrote: »
    Bad drivers, bad drivers everywhere.

bad-drivers-bad.jpg

Either way, I don't like the fact that there are 'less than competent' drivers around me on the roads and there were 2 of them in that clip. 'Competent' should the very basic level that should be allowed on the roads.

You have to take it all into account when getting into your car.

There is not much we can do about other people driving really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭b318isp

Utter clutz drifts onto the M50, with a safe merge a few metres later:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭b318isp

This wombat forces his way in, and 100m later goes back to the same lane:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

b318isp wrote: »
    This wombat forces his way in, and 100m later goes back to the same lane

Mustn't have fancied the Hummer.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

b318isp wrote: »
    This wombat forces his way in, and 100m later goes back to the same lane:

You're a nicer person than me, I would've attempted to re-educate the offender on how to merge properly.

In M50 rush hour traffic, no amount of lane changes will make you any sort of worthwhile gains, it's best to sit in it and go with the flow.

Day after day I see people (mainly men) thinking they're in a race and dart in and out of lanes only to meet them 5 minutes later.

Happens on that junction at Old Bawn all the time. Drivers don't realise they should pull out and then merge with traffic, they just wait ages for a point they can pull out straight into traffic.
    Misleading road markings tbh, there should not have that line across the road there as people treat it as a stop line.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Brian Larkin

They are a handy yoke to have,got one two years ago "smart cam" the motion detector is handy for parking at busy supermarkets,had a couple of cars hit my car while I was shopping ,reg plates recorded clear as a bell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Caliden wrote: »
    Day after day I see people (mainly men) thinking they're in a race.
    Funny I see mainly women doing it on the M50. And tailgating while on the mobile. But I'd be called sexist if I said it.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Clip 1. Car in front waits for the traffic to start moving and stops then does something dumb.

Clip 2. Driver drives through yield sign at speed and puts her indicators on so I slowed to let her in, Also there is a person at the bus stop sitting on the kerb with their legs on the road, Lots of silly people around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Clip 1. Car in front waits for the traffic to start moving and stops then does something dumb.

Clip 2. Driver drives through yield sign at speed and puts her indicators on so I slowed to let her in, Also there is a person at the bus stop sitting on the kerb with their legs on the road, Lots of silly people around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nQarFECe3A&feature=youtu.be

Why is there a Yield marking in the bus lane at 0:17? Are buses supposed to yield to left-turning traffic? I thought bus lanes were meant to prioritise buses...

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Why is there a Yield marking in the bus lane at 0:17? Are buses supposed to yield to left-turning traffic? I thought bus lanes were meant to prioritise buses...

AFAIK all bus lanes have a yield at their end when traffic comes back onto its lane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Iwannahurl wrote: »

The bus lane is ending, so there's a yield sign at the end of it, as with other bus lanes. The same thing happens here (also on the Nangor Road, as it happens).

That left turn is very busy at peak hours - if two buses were stopped at the lights, blocking the left turn, it would, in turn, block traffic including buses a lot further back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Taking bets on what colour her hair was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

What an idiot
    I'd say her eyes were focused on the set of lights just a bit further ahead which had turned green.
    I doubt she was stupid enough to deliberately break the lights with a motorbike cop just beside her although you never know.........:pac:

Why its a good idea to leave space for learner drivers ...

Because if I hadn't this eejit speeding down the hard shoulder would have ploughed right into me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Because if I hadn't this eejit speeding down the hard shoulder would have ploughed right into me!

Well hello Mr. 06CN565. Let me introduce you to Mr. 1890 205 805.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

What an utter ****tard.
    All someone had to do was pull into the hard shoulder and that would have been a nice smash.
    To echo what someone said before, if it were me driving the dashcam car there is no way I'd be letting them join the road.
    Get the fook back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Isle of Wight waste services and Hampshire police release footage showing just how determined some drivers are to get past rubbish lorries.
    The video clearly shows some of the dangerous or impatient driving currently being reported such cars being driven on pavements, driving too close, cars hitting collection vehicles or staff and threatening, abusive or insulting behavior, will be reported formally to local police who have committed to investigate such incidents.

Offenders could face fines, community service or court prosecution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Wow - just wow!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

What's worse is for the most part the workers are completely unfazed by it, suggesting that this really does happen all the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

Isle of Wight waste services and Hampshire police release footage showing just how determined some drivers are to get past rubbish lorries.

Wellll, there are two sides to this too.

Some of the binmen round my way make a point of blocking the entire road even though they don't need to. They need to share the road, too. You can easily be stuck behind them for 5+ minutes, they should pull in the odd time to let cars pass.

If binmen want to have the street to themselves let them do their rounds in the early hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

deandean wrote: »
    Wellll, there are two sides to this too.

Some of the binmen round my way make a point of blocking the entire road even though they don't need to. They need to share the road, too. You can easily be stuck behind them for 5+ minutes, they should pull in the odd time to let cars pass.

If binmen want to have the street to themselves let them do their rounds in the early hours.

What side allows you to drive on the footpath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Agreed.....if it deemed ok to use the footpath to pass the trucks in what is obviously an extremely dangerous manner in almost all cases, then it could be argued that it's ok to use the footpath as another lane for road vehicles if they are being held up because traffic is heavy in general.

"Ah damn, the traffic is heavy so I'll just use the footpath instead because I'm an impatient w*$&er"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'm not trying to defend the driving in the video, but is it as clear cut as "Never drive on the footpath"?
    In a lot of those clips it seems like the streets are narrow and the bin lorry has taken up a position very much in the centre of the road, perhaps due to parked cars. eg. at 0:27 Although the oncoming van should have driven more carefully, it looks like there wasn't enough room for both of them on the road and one of them was going to have to go on the footpath in order to avoid an impasse.

What are these arrows on the hard shoulder for:confused:
    The way Irish road are painted suggests they have no idea what they paint and where.

For those who missed these arrows:

323341.jpg

323342.jpg

323343.jpg

The first picture shows how misleading the road markings can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

wonski wrote: »
    What are these arrows on the hard shoulder for:confused:
    The way Irish road are painted suggests they have no idea what they paint and where.

The first picture shows how misleading the road markings can be.

Those are not genuine road markings.

These types of marks are usually put down by people organising road races (cycling usually) and IMO the practice should be met with large fines.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement