Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Those are not genuine road markings.

These types of marks are usually put down by people organising road races (cycling usually) and IMO the practice should be met with large fines.

Don't get me started on these guys, please;)

Some time ago a guy with a flag tried to "allow" me to join a roundabout. Guess what - I joined it anyway, no need for a self promoted flag man to dictate whether I can or cannot join the road I want.

The summer is over, fortunately. Painting a road like that should be penalized.

These types of marks are usually put down by people organising road races (cycling usually) and IMO the practice should be met with large fines.
    At the very least they should be compelled to remove them after the event!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

wonski wrote: »
    Don't get me started on these guys, please;)

Some time ago a guy with a flag tried to "allow" me to join a roundabout. Guess what - I joined it anyway, no need for a self promoted flag man to dictate whether I can or cannot join the road I want.

The summer is over, fortunately. Painting a road like that should be penalized.

Technically...
    PART V. ANIMALS ON ROADS.
    Driver's duty when passing animals

30. A driver meeting or overtaking an animal on a road shall either reduce speed or halt the vehicle, if requested to do so (whether by signal or otherwise) by a person in charge of the animal.
    Just saying like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

josip wrote: »
    Technically...

Just saying like...
    Would other workers be classed as animals? :D

Technically...

Just saying like...

I do stop for animals, supervised or not;)

The problem I had with that particular situation was that there was no signs on approach - just a guy with a little red flag waving it on the drivers.

We went OT again and I do apologize.

My point is that these arrows look like temporary ones (roadworks etc) but some drivers may follow them. This should not be allowed. If you organize an event - organize it properly. Gardai could do with some money these days - ask them to assist you and pay the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Missed a good one today, app on my phone messed it up so getting a proper one now.
    On the n3 at Phoenix park inbound and where it goes to one lane some eejit overtakes me doing at least 100 way past the end of the merging lane then undertakes approaching the roundabout at the halfway house all to get about three cars ahead a mile up the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Shhhhhhhhhhh, say nothin, I'm actually over here :D

ardle1 wrote: »

Why didn't he kill his lights as well?
    Was he really the target of the police car?

Looks like he pulled over for no reason to me.

They had bigger fish to catch that night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

That'd be one for the bad parking thread too . . . if we still had one :(

Ken

judging by the time lapse between him stopping and the police car passing, quite unlikely, but the police car did turn at the next left!

judging by the time lapse between him stopping and the police car passing, quite unlikely, but the police car did turn at the next left!

Similar thing happened to me 20 years ago. I was driving home from town Sunday morning at 4am after a night working in the chipper. Not much traffic on the road at that time and in those days many would be over the limit. Leaving town under the streetlights, I could see in my rearview that the squad car was following me a couple of hundred metres back.
    A couple of miles out from town I turned off the main road towards home.
    It's a medium length straight after the turn off and I could see their lights before I went around the next bend. After the bend was a longer straight, but my house was early on in the straight and our closed gate was a few car lengths in from the road. When I pulled in off the road, the squad car still hadn't come around the bend, so I switched off the lights for "divilment" when I got out to open the gates. When the squad car came around the bend my car which had been 250m ahead of them before the bend was nowhere to be seen on a 500m straight. They dropped a gear, turned on the flashers and "gave chase". It was a couple of minutes befrore I could stop laughing and open the gates that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

ardle1 wrote: »

I pulled into that spot only yesterday to answer the phone. The road the cam car was driving up would have been in sight of the Garda car all the way up, he didn't look like he was the target of them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

ZENER wrote: »
    That'd be one for the bad parking thread too . . . if we still had one :(

Ken

And for the Bad parking thread Thread....

wonski wrote: »
    Looks like he pulled over for no reason to me.

They had bigger fish to catch that night.
    I watched it again and there appeared to be a PMR radio squawking in the background so it could have been a taxi, perhaps he stopped to get the call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

I was in by the port tunnel last week at lunch time and saw something that made me wish id had a dashcam.
    Looked like an older couple ether had no money for the toll or made a wrong turn as they reversed back from the toll,done a u turn and drove back towards the port narrowly missing a truck :eek:

Is there no way to do a legal u turn there ? I thought they could move bollards like they use to on the old M50 ?

Wounder would there be camera footage from the toll booth forwarded to the Garda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Nice U Turn on Gardiner St..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I've seen them directing traffic like Mick Wallace on speed. No authority to do so yet the gardai seem uninterested. One chap at this marshalling was run over by a lorry and killed this year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭skibum

I've seen them directing traffic like Mick Wallace on speed.
    :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Cocoon wrote: »
    Nice U Turn on Gardiner St..

Don't see the issue here.

Used an indicator with plenty of time, not exactly sure why you would accelerate towards someone with their right indicator on. :confused:

• Advertisement

Traffic seems to be moving quite quickly also.

Is Gardiner Street just inside or just outside the 30 k/h zone?

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-general-traffic-measures/speed-limits-your-area

NB: Dutchman speaking what sounds like colloquial English at 0:42. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Not even close to 235kph barley 160kph I'd say.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    Not even close to 235kph barley 160kph I'd say.

I'd say the Dutchman is closer to the truth than you are.

Obviously YouTube does not allow us to accurately calculate elapsed time (eg fractions of a second) but there are some clues in the video that permit an educated guess regarding speed.

Anyone else like to have a go at estimating the BMW driver's speed? No prizes, but it could be fun. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Camera car says he was doing 108 so I'd say 180.

Imagine if you were standing still on the side of the road and a car passed you going 80kmh how quick it would seem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I'd say the Dutchman is closer to the truth than you are.

Obviously YouTube does not allow us to accurately calculate elapsed time (eg fractions of a second) but there are some clues in the video that permit an educated guess regarding speed.

Anyone else like to have a go at estimating the BMW driver's speed? No prizes, but it could be fun. :)

Look at the markers on the RHS, assuming they are evenly spaced, the BMW covers well over 2 segments in the time the camera car covers 1, I guess the cam car is doing about 100 kmph, so that would put the BMW driver at well north of 200, I'd say 230-240kmph isn't far off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Caliden wrote: »
    Don't see the issue here.

Used an indicator with plenty of time, not exactly sure why you would accelerate towards someone with their right indicator on. :confused:

I said it was a nice U turn, I liked the way he swung left to get it in one. He didn't hold anybody up or anything.

Caliden wrote: »
    Camera car says he was doing 108 so I'd say 180.

Imagine if you were standing still on the side of the road and a car passed you going 80kmh how quick it would seem.

I don't trust perception.

Actually, I've only just realised that the Dutchman, in his notes on the video, provides the information needed to calculate -- rather than guess -- the speed of the white BMW: "I've estimated the speed to be somewhere between 235 and 250 km/h (using the 50 meter markers and counting frames)."

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Look at the markers on the RHS, assuming they are evenly spaced, the BMW covers well over 2 segments in the time the camera car covers 1, I guess the cam car is doing about 100 kmph, so that would put the BMW driver at well north of 200, I'd say 230-240kmph isn't far off.

The black & white posts beside the crash barrier are spaced 50 metres apart. If you estimate the time it takes the BMW to pass those markers you will see that it's travelling significantly faster than 160 or even 180 km/h.

I said it was a nice U turn, I liked the way he swung left to get it in one. He didn't hold anybody up or anything.

We misunderstood you.

Here is what I would call a nice U-turn;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

A close one from today, I don't know which of these idiots is worse, The bus driver who pulls out without indicating or the car driver that's on the phone...

• Advertisement

I think it's fake.
    Everyone knows the French don't holiday outside of France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

dickwod1 wrote: »
    A close one from today, I don't know which of these idiots is worse, The bus driver who pulls out without indicating or the car driver that's on the phone...

Ignoring the phone, I'd blame that one solely on bus driver. Drives me insane when they do that.

Absolutely no reason why that car driver could not have hung back for a few seconds and let both the bus driver and the camera car driver proceed.

In some countries (eg Germany) motorists are required by law to let buses pull out, and rightly so imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Absolutely no reason why that car driver could not have hung back for a few seconds and let both the bus driver and the camera car driver proceed.

In some countries (eg Germany, afaik) motorists are required by law to let buses pull out, and rightly so imo.

Agree, but you can only let a bus pull out, if you know the bus is going to pull out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Agree, but you can only let a bus pull out, if you know the bus is going to pull out.

The bus is ahead of you, and it's at a bus stop. There's a strong chance it will pull out.

Here in Ireland we'll even enter a yellow box regardless of whether it obstructs a bus trying to leave the bus lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

In some countries (eg Germany) motorists are required by law to let buses pull out, and rightly so imo.

It is like that on the Continent, and I agree - rightly so.
    The bus is ahead of you, and it's at a bus stop. There's a strong chance it will pull out.

The problem is that bus might be for a minute or two on the bus stop.
    No reason to wait behind it unless it's indicating to pull over.
    In all those countries you mentioned that buses have right of way when pulling off the bus stop, they only do if they indicate.
    No one is going to wait behind a bus on bus stop which is not indicating to pull out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Simple answer to car overtaking, it was not safe to do so and they should have waited.
    From what I see on the video very difficult to make out if bus indicated or not.

The car driver should not have overtaken as you were coming head on.

I think we can all agree driving standards are terrible and whatever the reason when people get behind the wheel they behave disgustingly.

I very rarely get let out of bus stops or junctions and the answer seems to be nobody wantsto get stuck behind a bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Simple answer to car overtaking, it was not safe to do so and they should have waited.
    Well it most likely would have been safe to do so, if bus didn't suddenly pull out.
    The car driver should not have overtaken as you were coming head on.
    But OP was far enough for the car to finish maneuver safely if bus didn't pull out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

CiniO wrote: »
    Well it most likely would have been safe to do so, if bus didn't suddenly pull out.

But OP was far enough for the car to finish maneuver safely if bus didn't pull out.

The car was on wrong side not poster or bus....

The video doesn't show enough from what I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Or it might sit there for 10-15 minutes if it's at the end of its route.
    I very rarely get let out of bus stops or junctions and the answer seems to be nobody wantsto get stuck behind a bus.

I don't get that (I understand it happens). In Dublin city traffic, things are usually moving so slowly that if you let the bus out, you don't lose any time, and you'll probably pass it the next time it stops anyway (provided it actually pulls in to the bus stop, as opposed to just stopping in the middle of the lane as a very rare few do).

Is that camera loose or something?

I don't have it in for Cyclists, eh I really don't!?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Saw a Taxi v Pedestrian today.

The pedestrian stepped out and got swatted back onto the pavement, he was curled up in a ball.
    One man who was walking with a buggy was standing feet away from him when it happened and was first to his side.

When I looked back a few seconds later the injured guy looked to be convulsing and the samaritan was leaning over him phoning for help.
    It happened right beside a manned fire station so I saw another man run over to the gate and get the attention of a fireman in the yard.

The dash cam captured it but its just a blur really as it was pretty far away and the sun was directly ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

What are those 2 videos supposed to show? Other than the first cyclist mounting the footpath to stop I'm not sure what you or the cyclists did wrong :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Is that camera loose or something?

No. I used that thing on youtube that detects shaking,

As you can see. It really works well.

There was no shaking before. Now there is loads!

ba_barabus wrote: »
    What are those 2 videos supposed to show? Other than the first cyclist mounting the footpath to stop I'm not sure what you or the cyclists did wrong :confused:

Ah ya had to be there.. Seen both of them at the last second, the one at the round-about got an awful fright altogether.. He even fcuked me off.:eek:

One from last month since we're on a cycling theme,

Some Deja vu for me at this Junction,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

How not to enter a garage from a three lane duel carriageway ...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement