Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Chinese dashcam for a change doesn't look too good for the SUV driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Not working ^^^^

Fixed it :o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not good for that driver at all :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Trying to find some news on that video to see if the person survived but nothing is coming up. But, I'd be guessing no :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

"Ders nuttin for da kidz in dis area - all dey hav is der horses!" ...to let wander into the road :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

bear1 wrote: »
    Trying to find some news on that video to see if the person survived but nothing is coming up. But, I'd be guessing no :(
    Hazards come on automatically? :confused:

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Hazards come on automatically? :confused:

On newer cars the moment a crash has happened the hazards come on automatically as a warning to others.
    I think it happens if the airbags deploy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

On newer cars the moment a crash has happened the hazards come on automatically as a warning to others.
    I think it happens if the airbags deploy.

They come on under heavy breaking and would remain on if air bags deployed

Shane_ef wrote: »
    They come on under heavy breaking and would remain on if air bags deployed

True regarding the heavy braking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wow scary stull the 4x4 imbedded in trailer and even with all the trucks trying to stop the driver he just keeps her lit.

The rear could be hanging off for all he knew and didn't give a sh1t.

Some cars also have a system where brake lights keep flashing onoff quickly when braking hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Testing my new dashcam. I hadn't even taken the protective film off the lens, never mind set the date and time. :p

Young man doesn't need no steenkin' white lines. :D

http://youtu.be/Xqm4n_eWzag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Some cars also have a system where brake lights keep flashing onoff quickly when braking hard.

I think that's a mistaken thought based on the fact that LED lights can appear to flash when caught on camera.

rizzodun wrote: »
    I think that's a mistaken thought based on the fact that LED lights can appear to flash when caught on camera.

No fact not talking about any on camera but yes you are right that led lights appear to flash on some cameras.

Some Opels and BMW have the rear brake lights flash have seen in action myself.

Even was behind one last week which was faulty as any time they braked it would keep flashing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Gosub wrote: »
    Testing my new dashcam. I hadn't even taken the protective film off the lens, never mind set the date and time. :p

Young man doesn't need no steenkin' white lines. :D

http://youtu.be/Xqm4n_eWzag

If that car coming the other way was there 10 seconds earlier it would have been fairly nasty, what is it with some drivers that they have put lives at risk in order to take a minute off their journey, do they not think of the potential consequences of their actions or do they just not care, I see a lot of those brain donors on the road.

Most cars that have ABS will flash the brake lights when it's activated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

No fact not talking about any on camera but yes you are right that led lights appear to flash on some cameras.

Some Opels and BMW have the rear brake lights flash have seen in action myself.

Even was behind one last week which was faulty as any time they braked it would keep flashing.
    Most cars that have ABS will flash the brake lights when it's activated.

I wasn't disagreeing as such, just saying that people think many more cars do it after seeing them do it on camera, I myself haven't come across any cars on the road do it, although with lack of ABS I wouldn't want to be stuck behind a car and suddenly seeing their brake lights flash! It's good I keep a safe distance.

I wasn't disagreeing as such, just saying that people think many more cars do it after seeing them do it on camera, I myself haven't come across any cars on the road do it, although with lack of ABS I wouldn't want to be stuck behind a car and suddenly seeing their brake lights flash! It's good I keep a safe distance.

I understand ;)

I have been well experienced as with driving 7 days a week and countless km's done I have seen a lot and been in a nice few tips also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I posted a similar video to this one before on the yootoob thread, interesting to watch in light of that earlier clip.

I doubt underride protection is a major concern of the heavy haulage industry in China.

Chinese car makers are no better.

• Advertisement

When I was in Germany on Saturday I saw my first Chinese car. A Brilliance.
    Not bad looking tbh but then I checked the crash test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbe5ILICT4M

It was this same car I saw. Unbelievable for a 2007 car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

When I was in Germany on Saturday I saw my first Chinese car. A Brilliance.
    Not bad looking tbh but then I checked the crash test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbe5ILICT4M

It was this same car I saw. Unbelievable for a 2007 car.

I was about to say after dolanbaker's vid, that I would guess things have progressed in the last 10 years....christ on a bike that is shocking!

I was about to say after dolanbaker's vid, that I would guess things have progressed in the last 10 years....christ on a bike that is shocking!

After seeing that I don't think I'd ever get into one. Unless the top speed was 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Those Chinese ones remind me of the old vs new car videos that you see. Bad when a new Chinese car doesn't seem to fare much better than an American one that's 50 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just collected my 0801 from PMotel. Has anyone got one where they hard wired it in? I'm not sure if the cable is long enough to go down the A pillar to the centre console. I was hoping to tap into the power for the radio. I would use the courtesy light but already using that for an auto dimming mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

Hal1 wrote: »
    Just collected my 0801 from PMotel. Has anyone got one where they hard wired it in? I'm not sure if the cable is long enough to go down the A pillar to the centre console. I was hoping to tap into the power for the radio. I would use the courtesy light but already using that for an auto dimming mirror.

You could use a live from the 12 power supply / Cig lighter. It would come on with the ignition. I Used a radio earth for something else before and ended up with funny faults ( Cat overheating light flickering etc.. ). Depends on the car, the newer cars with can bus systems really don't react well to robbing power from places. Can lead to sporadic issues down the line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The cig lighter option sounds like the way to go. Just have to find my haynes and see which one is the live. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

Hal1 wrote: »
    The cig lighter option sounds like the way to go. Just have to find my haynes and see which one is the live. Thanks.

Good luck with the cam!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

^^ I'd say there's bit of liquid lunch had by that one !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

franksm wrote: »
    ^^ I'd say there's bit of liquid lunch had by that one !

Either that or he was posting on boards -:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

gutteruu wrote: »

Would the guards in Mountbellew or Ballinasloe be interested in that?

• Advertisement

Difficult to see.
    The lorry and cars following had to brake sharply as an oncoming car overtook a line of slower cars, the overtaker got in at the very last moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I spotted it.
    What's wrong with the cyclist?

CiniO wrote: »
    I spotted it.
    What's wrong with the cyclist?
    No lights and wearing black!

No lights and wearing black!

Well, maybe it's just your camera which shows everything that bright, but from what I can see it's a daytime, so no need for cyclist to have lights or reflective clothin. (at least not required by law).

Well, maybe it's just your camera which shows everything that bright, but from what I can see it's a daytime, so no need for cyclist to have lights or reflective clothin. (at least not required by law).
    It was very late into the twilight zone, long after road vehicles need lights to be seen, it actually looks lighter on the video than it was in reality.

• Advertisement

It was very late into the twilight zone, long after road vehicles need lights to be seen, it actually looks lighter on the video than it was in reality.

It looks fairly bright on the video.

Lighting up hours start half an hour after sunset, and that's the time from which vehicles (including bicycles) are required to use lights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Cinio, are you having a laugh? You spent half an hour yesterday lecturing me on the virtues of driving with your lights on all day!

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

Jesus. wrote: »
    Cinio, are you having a laugh? You spent half an hour yesterday lecturing me on the virtues of driving with your lights on all day!

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

But that was on cars, not on bicycles.

I was trying to convince you, that having your lights on your car, will increase your safety (and people around you).
    Having lights (and reflective clothing) on your bike, will increase biker's safety, but no one else's really.

If I was the biker, I would most likely have the lights in that conditions, but riding there without light, possibly wasn't illegal.

I'm trying to teach my son that it is a good idea to "be seen, be safe(er)", that video proves what a difference lights make, you can clearly see the cars and only see the bike when you replay the video looking for it!

If I had posted that video without a comment, how many of you could honestly say that you saw the bike?

But that was on cars, not on bicycles.I was trying to convince you, that having your lights on your car, will increase your safety (and people around you).
    Having lights (and reflective clothing) on your bike, will increase biker's safety, but no one else's really.

Indeed but you said to the poster "whats wrong with the cyclist?" This from a guy who drives with his lights on all the time so people can see him!

Sorry Cinio but that's dreadfully inconsistent

Jesus. wrote: »
    Indeed but you said to the poster "whats wrong with the cyclist?" This from a guy who drives with his lights on all the time so people can see him!

Sorry Cinio but that's dreadfully inconsistent

No it's not inconsistent, you just didn't get my point.
    I do drive with lights on at all times, because I think it's safer for me.
    I never said there was something wrong with people who don't do it, and I never said that lights at daytime should be compulsory.
    You were trying to convince me yesterday, that having lights at daytime is no beneficial at all. I don't agree with it, and that's why I use lights.
    But nothing wrong with people who don't use them at daytime. Especially on a bicycle.

And now for something completely different ;)

No it's not inconsistent, you just didn't get my point.
    I do drive with lights on at all times, because I think it's safer for me.
    I never said there was something wrong with people who don't do it, and I never said that lights at daytime should be compulsory.
    You were trying to convince me yesterday, that having lights at daytime is no beneficial at all. I don't agree with it, and that's why I use lights.
    But nothing wrong with people who don't use them at daytime. Especially on a bicycle.

Sorry but that makes no sense. You say you drive all the time with lights on so people will be better able to see you yet you say "what's wrong with the cyclist" even though he didn't have any reflective gear, let alone any lights, in very dull conditions.

Totally inconsistent

And now for something completely different ;)

Camera man seems to be 100% convinced of scooter rider's fault.

But to be honest, I can see the biker indicate right and is positioned within right side of his lane. Then suddenly changes indicator to left and turns left without checking his mirror.
    I'd say 50/50 would be more correct, even with stipulating more fault on the side of the biker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

That thinking is why nanny states exist. People unable to look after themselves.

Lights on a bike are required by law, high viz, reflective clothing and helmets are not, but you would want to be stupid to ride a bike with just the minimum...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement