Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

joujoujou wrote: »
    Maybe they were too scared to say a word? ;)

Out of 40,000 (only estimated) I'm sure there'd be at least a few who opened their mouth if they felt there was something to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

joujoujou wrote: »
    Maybe they were too scared to say a word? ;)

Probably so shocked went home and didn't know how they got there:D:pac:

I have many complaints in so don't know how carrying the public you can get away with none.

I have had complaints for smiling :):rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

CiniO wrote: »
    Out of 40,000 (only estimated) I'm sure there'd be at least a few who opened their mouth if they felt there was something to say.
    You aware I'm joking, don't you? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

That scooter video is hilarious! It shouldn't be funny but it is, the scooter doesn't even have rear view mirrors?!

bladebrew wrote: »
    That scooter video is hilarious! It shouldn't be funny but it is, the scooter doesn't even have rear view mirrors?!

I know i was crying really with laughter and made the missus look and she actually laughed...:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

They shouldn't be funny but some of the crashes in those Russian videos have me in stitches!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

RainyDay wrote: »
    I think you'll find that what many cyclists (and others) argued against was compulsory hi-vis, which is a different story all together.

Do you have hi-vis on your car? Are you only looking to be hit?

No they were downright against hiviz and claimed on many occasions that wearing black clothing in the night while cycling made no difference what so ever as long as they had a light.

Yes, my car does have reflectors like all cars do, and all service vehicles, lorries etc have reflector strips on the rear and side.

I am aware some bikes have reflectors too, but its simply not adequate due to the tiny size of them. Similar story with the lights on bikes. I see week in week out tiny little lights in the distance and its impossible to make out what it is until you get very close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

hairybelly wrote: »
    I see week in week out tiny little lights in the distance and its impossible to make out what it is until you get very close.

You're not driving to suit the conditions so.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    You're not driving to suit the conditions so.
    Are you advocating that everyone drives at below 50kmh after dark!

Are you advocating that everyone drives at below 50kmh after dark!

Not even for a second (for me anyway :P), we have to drive to our ability, if you cannot make out what's in front of you you either need glasses or to rethink your approach speed.

• Advertisement

Not even for a second (for me anyway :P), we have to drive to our ability, if you cannot make out what's in front of you you either need glasses or to rethink your approach speed.
    The point is that if an object is unlit, you will NOT see it until it is in the beam of your lights.

In the real world all motorists drive with a bit of hope that a black hole hasn't made an appearance in front of them!

Op mentions seeing small lights but not being able to make out what they're on until they're very close, nothing about cyclists being unlit.

Op mentions seeing small lights but not being able to make out what they're on until they're very close, nothing about cyclists being unlit.
    He is referring to dim lights that are not visible until the driver is only a few metres away from it.

Anyway final comment on a video page!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Does anyone know what the smallest dash cam available is, ideally something like my toll tag.

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Genuine question to the bikers out there.
    I'm a motorist/cyclist but have never ridden a mo-bike.
    Back to the scooter-biker crash video (Uh-oh)
    If I was a car driver in the lead biker's position, I usually would have given a glance in my left mirror for undertakers (bikers, scooters, mobikers, Ron Massey, etc)
    In a similar incident in the past, I've had to brake and stop when confronted with a rapidly approaching undertaker. This gave the undertaker room to avoid me on the left.
    But from cycling I appreciate that once you start a turning maneuver, you can't abort it as immediately as a car due to the change of balance.
    But I don't have mirrors on the bike and don't tend to get undertaken :)

My question for bikers is, if the lead biker had looked in his left mirror and seen the approaching idiot, could he have done anything to avoid closing the door or was he already fully committed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

6 pages and 3 days of discussion and not a single video posted.

Must be new low for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Just as well I always keep a proper eye on cars indicators in other lanes. Managed to see this indicator straight away. I jammed on but doesn't look like I did. Camera makes it not as bad as it was. Have no idea how the hell they managed to avoid the Yaris.

irishmover wrote: »
    Just as well I always keep a proper eye on cars indicators in other lanes. Managed to see this indicator straight away. I jammed on but doesn't look like I did. Camera makes it not as bad as it was. Have no idea how the hell they managed to avoid the Yaris.

FYP;)

Private video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

wonski wrote: »
    FYP;)

Private video.

Working now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

josip wrote: »
    My question for bikers is, if the lead biker had looked in his left mirror and seen the approaching idiot, could he have done anything to avoid closing the door or was he already fully committed?

If he had checked again possibly. All bikers should do a mirror check then a shoulder check before committing to a turn. If lucky he could have stopped before the turn but generally once you commit to a turn it's hard to uncommit without dropping the bike. However even if he had stopped there was such a small gap between him and the curb that the moped driver might have clipped him just going past.

Although as a motorbiker in the centre of a normal lane you do not expect anyone to undertake you. Ever. If there was a bicycle then you would have passed it out and known to double check for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

TBi wrote: »
    If he had checked again possibly. All bikers should do a mirror check then a shoulder check before committing to a turn. If lucky he could have stopped before the turn but generally once you commit to a turn it's hard to uncommit without dropping the bike. However even if he had stopped there was such a small gap between him and the curb that the moped driver might have clipped him just going past.

Although as a motorbiker in the centre of a normal lane you do not expect anyone to undertake you. Ever. If there was a bicycle then you would have passed it out and known to double check for it.

Lets drop this discussion here. More vids, less chit chat, this thread is turning into a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

What's this?? A video?? In the dashcam thread?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ej7rsl8zFo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I very rarely capture anything interesting these days. When I was driving the ex's car (little yellow MG) people would cut me up, almost drive into me and nearly cause accidents every other day. Strange that ;)

Tragedy wrote: »
    I very rarely capture anything interesting these days. When I was driving the ex's car (little yellow MG) people would cut me up, almost drive into me and nearly cause accidents every other day. Strange that ;)

Maybe they thought it was your ex ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I nearly drove into a deer carcass last night. A quick brake and skid around the poor crater. Although I think I drove over it's hoof's (hooves). I wasn't going the move it either it smelled really bad and my windows were closed. Of course I had to delete the first eventful thing I captured on my cam :|.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

@ bear1

very good, but I don't see how that saved your ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

Tragedy wrote: »
    I very rarely capture anything interesting these days.

I had a few videos earlier in the year, was getting about one note worthy video a week and all of a sudden they just stopped coming. Weird, like everyone collectively started driving better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's the opposite here, at the start I was saving all these clips, but then I was seeing so many, it just got tiresome. Still though, I feel naked driving without a camera now!

corktina wrote: »
    @ bear1

very good, but I don't see how that saved your ass.

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Just to keep things dashcam oriented, albeit slightly light hearted.

Keep watching to the unexpected plot twist at 2:01 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Road rage - great calm down in action.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Hal1 wrote: »
    the poor crater

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Oh man that is brilliant!

Oh man that is brilliant!

I thought he was going to take out a minnie me of himself to take the other guy out:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Staged obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

bear1 wrote: »
    What's this?? A video?? In the dashcam thread?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ej7rsl8zFo

EXACTLY..
    Down with this sort of thing.
    Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Staged obviously

Ye Think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Staged obviously

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

• Advertisement

I love how he/she legged it after it :D the sheer embarrassment of it I suppose.
    Lucky no one was coming the opposite way as he'd/she'd have cleared them out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

I believe this is as close as someone has come to hitting me without hitting me if you know what I mean! I don't know what the guy was thinking?

Apologies for the jumping at the start only happens when I use windows movie maker for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Can anyone recommend a dash cam that is discrete and won't cost the earth?

Also... I guess there aren't cam's that cover the rear window simultaneously? Do you guys cover that yourselves?

Unregistered Users

Doesn't even give a flick of the hazards as an apology.

Cant really make out much in video due to quality but I'll post it anyhow.

Saw a third light appear close behind a car in the distance, couldnt figure out what it was. At first thought the car was towing another vehicle, then I thought maybe it was a motorbike following close behind.

Only at the last second as it past me did I realise it was a cyclist in the middle of the road beside an oncoming car.

passes me at 0:13 in the video.

And this is why I argue hi-viz is very important. I hadnt a clue what it was. Shortly up the road I met 2 cyclists wearing hi-viz and I could see and identify they were cyclists from a mile off.

It looks to me like the cyclist was overtaking the car:eek:

Never seen that. I agree about the vests, though. Same with runners - there are dozens of them around the entrance to work and I had few nervous moment when almost didn't see them when looking at the road to see if it is clear. Some of them wear handy black / grey clothes to make them safer:rolleyes:

wonski wrote: »
    It looks to me like the cyclist was overtaking the car:eek:

Never seen that. I agree about the vests, though. Same with runners - there are dozens of them around the entrance to work and I had few nervous moment when almost didn't see them when looking at the road to see if it is clear. Some of them wear handy black / grey clothes to make them safer:rolleyes:

I honestly havent a clue what he was doing, maybe they knew each other and were arsing around?

When I looked in my rear view mirror the cyclist abrupty swung out into the hatched central median.

Either way, thats one sure way to be killed on a 100km/h speed limit, busy road. I was doing 80km/h at the time. You can even see the car infront got a fright as the brake lights came on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

crazy stuff from the cyclist, it's defo a cyclist though?

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    crazy stuff from the cyclist, it's defo a cyclist though?

Yep, 100%. Made out what it was at the last second as he passed me. He seemed to be peddalling really hard like he was trying to race the car or something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement