Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Two more today.

Here's the first one:

Second one:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The cause of this morning's tailback on the M1.

Thankfully it seems no one was hurt........I don't understand why people don't move the vehicles over to the side instead of blocking everything up......it didn't look as if the collision had immobilised them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

IP freely wrote: »
    I believe this is as close as someone has come to hitting me without hitting me if you know what I mean! I don't know what the guy was thinking?

Apologies for the jumping at the start only happens when I use windows movie maker for some reason.

Off topic, but what do you drive? Sounds like a flat four

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

irishmover wrote: »
    Two more today.

Second one:

What am I missing in the 2nd one?
    He pulls in front early in the vid, is that it?

Two more today.

Second one:

What am I missing in the 2nd one?
    He pulls in front early in the vid, is that it?

He cuts across a centre median, which came pretty close to the concrete line along it. Then cuts over a continuous white line. Also hits about 80km in a 60 zone then jams on as there's a speed camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

He cuts across a centre median, which came pretty close to the concrete line along it. Then cuts over a continuous white line. Also hits about 80km in a 60 zone then jams on as there's a speed camera.

not only that, typical Irish drivers are all on the wrong side of the road :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Looks like the chap didn't know where he was and was in the wrong lane. Not like none of us have ever had to switch lanes quickly.
    Tbh, I cant make out the jamming on the brakes, but hard to see with the strong sunlight.

80k in a 60k zone, alright though yea, that's Michael Schumacher territory :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

M50 so far this week,

Why can they put in these to stop it happening?
    Bollard.pngBollardinuse.png

M1 yesterday evening,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

celticbest wrote: »
    M1 yesterday evening,

Ya should tweet the Garda Twitter page with that video and see if they have any comment!

How do you know that it was an unmarked Garda car?

• Advertisement

Pedro K wrote: »
    Ya should tweet the Garda Twitter page with that video and see if they have any comment!

Will do that later
    How do you know that it was an unmarked Garda car?

It's aerials & I could also see it blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

garda car video is nitpicking tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The cops could be on a job, following someone, checking on something many many things I wouldn't be worried about them using hard shoulder as it is for break downs or emergency vehicles.

Plenty that use it dangerously and skipping queues also.

If they were driving reckless then report but not for what you have on video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

@irishmover: about the 2nd video - how is that dangerous driving? Did you see him pose any danger at any given situation?
    tbh, I know of plenty people who drive much more aggresively than this and they never had problems with the cops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Will do that later

I'll eagerly await the tribunal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

hairybelly wrote: »

Nitpicking on here? Never!

Sobanek wrote: »
    @irishmover: about the 2nd video - how is that dangerous driving? Did you see him pose any danger at any given situation?
    tbh, I know of plenty people who drive much more aggresively than this and they never had problems with the cops.

What are line markings for? He accelerated to well over the speed limit. Cut across a centre median, which if you look has concrete in the middle and he came close to hitting it. If he did he would have lost control. All to just get into a lane he could have got into further up if he just stayed in the lane he was in. Why can't people slow down if they want to change lane? Why do they have to accelerate to well over the speed limit? Also I did brake once they started to move across so the person appears further away than they would have been.

hairybelly wrote: »

Nitpicking :confused:
    The cops could be on a job, following someone, checking on something many many things I wouldn't be worried about them using hard shoulder as it is for break downs or emergency vehicles.

Plenty that use it dangerously and skipping queues also.

If they were driving reckless then report but not for what you have on video.

The same rules of the road apply to them unless they are on a call & they certainly were not, as you can see from the video they drove down the Hard Shoulder just to skip traffic then they went straight into & stayed in lane two of the Dual carriageway and cruised down it about 60km/h....

They where IMO reckless and I have reported them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

cancelled emergency call? How can you know they were Gards anyway?

corktina wrote: »
    cancelled emergency call? How can you know they were Gards anyway?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92912607&postcount=6023

I'm sure I'll receive an explanation why they reply to my email...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The same rules of the road apply to them unless they are on a call & they certainly were not, a

Actually the law states "in pursuit of their duties", or similar, I think its the reason they give for cycling on the pavement. Its more a pedant thing but if they are on duty, how can you prove that they weren't working basically.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Actually the law states "in pursuit of their duties", or similar, I think its the reason they give for cycling on the pavement. Its more a pedant thing but if they are on duty, how can you prove that they weren't working basically.

"in pursuit of their duties" this to me reads 'on a call'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That vid isn't even all that interesting...can we just drop the chat on that one, and get more vids?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What the hell? Seen it on google

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

It's from Reddit. Iirc state police arrested two men who were involved in a spate of robberies. Driver was in a lowered subaru which is why he didn't just go over the cones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Below one of few examples where camera actually saved driver ass.
    Not in Ireland though - Poland.
    Cyclists was saying he had a green light.
    Without camera it would be fairly hard to prove he didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

Tragedy wrote: »
    It's from Reddit. Iirc state police arrested two men who were involved in a spate of robberies. Driver was in a lowered subaru which is why he didn't just go over the cones.

First thing that came to mind was an American was driving a manual :eek: makes sense now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I've heard that in Croatia it is quite popular for that sort of roadblock to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭birchtree

Anyone knows are there any legal implications for using dash cam? Any privacy / data protection issues? I'm sure it's legal to film traffic (just like with any camera), but are there any legal restrictions on how/where it may used? What about Irish courts, Garda, insurance companies, do they accept it as evidence?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

CramCycle wrote: »

What the hell? Seen it on google

Dick Turpin 2014!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

bear1 wrote: »
    I've heard that in Croatia it is quite popular for that sort of roadblock to happen.

I came across one down in Sherrif St many years ago, before the IFSC landed. Had to reverse swiftly and GTFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

RainyDay wrote: »
    I came across one down in Sherrif St many years ago, before the IFSC landed. Had to reverse swiftly and GTFO.

Similar story with our family in the early 1980's near Fatima Mansions when we took a wrong turn and found a barrier made of planks and milk crates across the street and several youths making for our car. We did a tyre squealing reverse out of there as fast as we could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

birchtree wrote: »
    Anyone knows are there any legal implications for using dash cam? Any privacy / data protection issues? I'm sure it's legal to film traffic (just like with any camera), but are there any legal restrictions on how/where it may used? What about Irish courts, Garda, insurance companies, do they accept it as evidence?

You can film or take photos in any public place.

If it is un edited then cops insurance may like to have it if you offer it to them.

Don't worry the way things are going you wont be able to sneeze without been fined.

Seen in the random videos thread, but more at home here. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

birchtree wrote: »

My gf works for a broker and they're getting sent more and more dash cam footage. It's sent as part of a claim and is used to corroborate the person's story. Not sure if it can be used on it's own as evidence, may require the Gardai in those instances.

• Advertisement

Caliden wrote: »
    My gf works for a broker and they're getting sent more and more dash cam footage. It's sent as part of a claim and is used to corroborate the person's story. Not sure if it can be used on it's own as evidence, may require the Gardai in those instances.
    The Gardaí won't be involved in a damage only collision, the video is likely to be the only solid evidence the insurance company will have available.
    They're used to the "the tree jumped out in front of me" types of claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Seen in the random videos thread, but more at home here. ;)

Can't quite hear the language as the sound is bad, but pretty sure that's in Brazil. The car is a VW Gol; this year's model too!

Dord wrote: »
    Can't quite hear the language as the sound is bad, but pretty sure that's in Brazil. The car is a VW Gol; this year's model too!
    One of the youtube comments also places it in Brazil.

Small element of "speed cameraitis" but still the other driver's fault!

"I'm not a dancer, I'm just drunk!"

Smart cop!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ECastle

Theres a dvr camera on dealrush at the min, i cant post the url coz im a new user 😬 can anyone tell me if its a good one for a truck driver? Im thinking of it as an xmas present. I also found the same camera on i-esale.com but dont trust that site as it has worldwide free shipping and only excepts paypal, has anyone used that site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Ambulance within 2mins. That's impressive.....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Ambulance within 2mins. That's impressive.....!

Very impressive. You can hear the poor lad go into shock.

Had a couple of bone breaking spills on a bike also. You don't really know what damage is done till later when you calm down and the pain is no longer masked with shock. I broke my wrist, 3 fingers and 5 ribs and got up straight away to see if my bike was ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

got up straight away to see if my bike was ok.

Sign of a true biker :cool:

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I wonder, do big cities put ambulances on patrols over certain parts of the city to cut down on response times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

"I'll go at 4000 revs in 6th gear again, straight through here."

If the motorbike rider was paying more attention to his driving, to traffic conditions, and to the behaviour of other drivers, he'd be a lot better off.

Clearly his attention was on making a video (with running commentary) rather on driving defensively.

Hopefully in 10 or 20 year's time, when he's thirty of forty, he'll have a lot more sense. Sooner than that, preferably, for his own sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Iwannahurl wrote: »

If the motorbike rider was paying more attention to his driving, to traffic conditions, and to the behaviour of other drivers, he'd be a lot better off.

Clearly his attention was on making a video (with running commentary) rather on driving defensively.

Hopefully in 10 or 20 year's time, when he's thirty of forty, he'll have a lot more sense. Sooner than that, preferably, for his own sake.

In all fairness I don't see how any of that would/could have altered his plight, the car drove straight into him, very little he could do, it's the type of scenario every biker dreads and encounters on a near daily basis.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Very impressive. You can hear the poor lad go into shock.

Had a couple of bone breaking spills on a bike also. You don't really know what damage is done till later when you calm down and the pain is no longer masked with shock. I broke my wrist, 3 fingers and 5 ribs and got up straight away to see if my bike was ok.

Seeing him go into shock reminds me of the countless times it's happened to me either through push bike incidents or just carelessly injuring myself.

Your mind and legs just go to jelly and you end up doing almost child like things. First thing he thought of was to stand up and go over to his bike and turn it off. Bizarre.
    I remember I was knocked from my bike years ago, cracking my collarbone in half. Got myself up in agony out of the middle of the road and the first thing I thought to do was get my phone out and tell them I probably wouldn't be into work later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Iwannahurl wrote: »

In all fairness there is nothing he could have done, the car turned into him....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement