Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Sherfin

Hi guys, just in from work, sorry, didn't think it would start a debate.
    @IrishMover, yes N2 at Balrath
    Both the Yaris and I had just joined the N2 from Kentstown only about a minute before this. Limit 100 Yaris is doing about 80.
    There's a bit of a rise coming up followed by a long straight, where I was going to pass when I was 100% sure it was safe
    (Yes, I might be a bit careful sometimes) Don't think I was tailgating, maybe just the cam
    The car overtaking was already on the N2 before we joined and due to the Yaris they soon caught up.
    They also overtook at least one car behind me (maybe 2), I pulled left so that the car just behind me would see that the Yaris is turning in, and in case the Yaris didn't check their side mirrors before crossing
    It's not a side road btw.
    All in all it wasn't a huge deal.

There has to be some sort of razor pun in here.
    When you cut in late that could be a called a close shave. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Sherfin wrote: »
    Hi guys, just in from work, sorry, didn't think it would start a debate.
    @IrishMover, yes N2 at Balrath
    Both the Yaris and I had just joined the N2 from Kentstown only about a minute before this. Limit 100 Yaris is doing about 80.
    There's a bit of a rise coming up followed by a long straight, where I was going to pass when I was 100% sure it was safe
    (Yes, I might be a bit careful sometimes) Don't think I was tailgating, maybe just the cam
    The car overtaking was already on the N2 before we joined and due to the Yaris they soon caught up.
    They also overtook at least one car behind me (maybe 2), I pulled left so that the car just behind me would see that the Yaris is turning in, and in case the Yaris didn't check their side mirrors before crossing
    It's not a side road btw.
    All in all it wasn't a huge deal.

Very inconsiderate to be doing 80 on a road rated at 100 and not pulling in to the hard shoulder where it is obviously safe to do so and let drivers behind overtake.

Edit: Not you OP, Mavis in the Yaris

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

josip wrote: »
    Very inconsiderate to be doing 80 on a road rated at 100 and not pulling in to the hard shoulder where it is obviously safe to do so and let drivers behind overtake.

LOL :pac:

I've seen country roads marked 100 that are like chicanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

What's the legal situation on this btw, I always used to do this, now I just drive really fast. :pac: I would have thought it could be dangerous in some situations (although isn;t everything)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

What's the legal situation on this btw, I always used to do this, now I just drive really fast. :pac: I would have thought it could be dangerous in some situations (although isn;t everything)

My understanding is that if anything happens while you're being courteous, you're by the short and curlys.
    So I never do it at night and usually only if I've a good line of sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Sherfin

So, hopefully not as controversial :P :(
    Saw this a couple of weeks ago on my way home

Looks like she tried to pull a u-turn and ended up stuck perpendicular to the road, at night in a black car.:eek:

Was going to see if she needed help but she got the car in gear just as the video ended and went on her way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Think this guy used up all his 9 lives! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Why would you pull into the hard shoulder when you are about to turn right? If the Yaris was only on the road for a minute it cant have been that much of a tailback and if the driver pulled in and then had to get back out to turn right it would have just complicated the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Sherfin wrote: »
    So, hopefully not as controversial :P :(
    Saw this a couple of weeks ago on my way home

Looks like she tried to pull a u-turn and ended up stuck perpendicular to the road, at night in a black car.:eek:

Was going to see if she needed help but she got the car in gear just as the video ended and went on her way

I can't believe it took her so long to stick on the hazards. She's very lucky she wasn't hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

vibe666 wrote: »

And at least one pair of undies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Maybe the wrong thread but even the discount chain Euro General are selling dashcams, I couldn't get a good look at it due to somebody balancing Xmas decorations on it but it was priced @ €20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

And at least one pair of undies.

i'm pretty sure after that episode he has pre-skidded every pair of undies he has ever, or will ever own! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

That lad is like the Ready Brek kid with a forcefield around him..:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Here's some stuff from Poland:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Coming through .....................................!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

If in doubt flat out :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Remind Me Tomorrow

Not sure if there is a separate thread for this somewhere. Looking to get a decent dash cam. Happy to spend €300ish. Must have good low light quality. 1080p if possible to ensure catching reg plates. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Not sure if there is a separate thread for this somewhere. Looking to get a decent dash cam. Happy to spend €300ish. Must have good low light quality. 1080p if possible to ensure catching reg plates. Any ideas?

€300?! I have this one and it works absolutely fine in night or day. Its a great camera for $65 USD.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-Original-Dashboard-Dash/dp/B00FONBG1A

Edit: Wrong one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

West Midlands Police in the UK have released CCTV footage of a lorry driver doing a u-turn on the motorway. It's far less dramatic to watch than it sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Vojera wrote: »
    West Midlands Police in the UK have released CCTV footage of a lorry driver doing a u-turn on the motorway. It's far less dramatic to watch than it sounds.

driver got a suspended prison sentance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Looked like it wasn't intentional and that he was about to reverse but decided to spin back onto the motorway instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

*Video of outside lane hogger getting done in UK*
    bladespin wrote: »
    Brilliant, just brilliant - probs top of my all time dash cam list :cool:

Witnessed this this morning on my way to work between Naas and Toughers roundabout, fella in a black honda civic, (nearly always passes me every morning and stays in outside lane), didn't cop the marked ARU Volvo behind him for over a mile until they put the lights and sirens on and pulled him over!

I was in the UK last week, did a lot of driving and never had a problem with lane hoggers but arrived back in Ireland and it really strikes you how many people can't use the lanes properly over here. It's frustrating to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Remind Me Tomorrow

Are there any dash cams good enough to read reg plates? Don't see the point in most of these as reg can only be seen when right behind the car. Is the technology just not there yet or is it a YouTube compression issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Are there any dash cams good enough to read reg plates? Don't see the point in most of these as reg can only be seen when right behind the car. Is the technology just not there yet or is it a YouTube compression issue?

Most are good enough to read reg plates, but by the time we edit, convert to a different format then upload to youtube the quality is halved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Nice big puddle this morning and some cars driving on the path to avoid it.. I couldn't tell if the guy was telling us to drive around him because the road was still flooded on the left hand side like it was last night.. or if the road was closed! His reaction when the car drove around him = :confused: :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Not sure if there is a separate thread for this somewhere. [...]

Yes, it is.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056815237

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Who needs the road, when there's a handy footpath nearby ;)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Title says - driver skillfully avoids crashing.
    Indeed he avoids crashing, but hardly skillfully.
    He swerves and looses control - that's all what's happening.

CiniO wrote: »
    Title says - driver skillfully avoids crashing.
    Indeed he avoids crashing, but hardly skillfully.
    He swerves and looses control - that's all what's happening.
    True, his handling was very loose, so loose that he nearly lost it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

It would be true to say that "The Stigs" job is dead safe..:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

What was he driving, a fcukin tuk-tuk!?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tk123 wrote: »
    Nice big puddle this morning and some cars driving on the path to avoid it.. I couldn't tell if the guy was telling us to drive around him because the road was still flooded on the left hand side like it was last night.. or if the road was closed! His reaction when the car drove around him = :confused: :P

why the hell is the 4x4 on the footpath? :confused:

Some people driving vehicles they don't even know what they are capable of
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Some people on here would argue that the man did absolutely nothing wrong there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Cabaal wrote: »
    why the hell is the 4x4 on the footpath? :confused:

Some people driving vehicles they don't even know what they are capable of
    :rolleyes:

And I can imagine they have damaged the footpath, lazy .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

This guy yesterday evening on the N7 Naas road.
    Dark Ford Fiesta in the middle lane. 08 D 27312
    Maybe drunk, maybe stoned. Guy was a Muppet.

Love the fingers at the end. 720p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I hope you called trafficwatch?

I did not. What is traffic watch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Traffic Watch

Thanks. Done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

What is traffic watch?

Its a facility for do-gooders to use and abuse whenever they feel a "moral obligation" coming over them.

(Oh and perhaps the odd genuinely serious case every 200 or so...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Fresh Pots wrote: »

I'd be more inclined to go 999 for this. If the guy is drunk, and is clearly a danger to himself or others, they need to get him off the road urgently. TrafficWatch is great for after the fact or less serious situations, but for urgent stuff, go with 999.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I don't like the idea of it at all (and I know that's like a red rag to a bull to a lot of posters on here).

There's something uncomfortable about people driving around filming other people driving and then anonymously contacting the authorities to tell them of who they seen doing what. Its not a kind of activity that sits well with me to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

This post has been deleted.

It's not, I've called it twice and both times it's been followed up on.
    Jesus. wrote: »
    I don't like the idea of it at all (and I know that's like a red rag to a bull to a lot of posters on here).

There's something uncomfortable about people driving around filming other people driving and then anonymously contacting the authorities to tell them of who they seen doing what. Its not a kind of activity that sits well with me to be honest.

Sure let people drive drunk and do what they want, they might not crash into anyone innocent...ya know, just so as not to be a do-gooder :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Its a facility for do-gooders to use and abuse whenever they feel a "moral obligation" coming over them.

(Oh and perhaps the odd genuinely serious case every 200 or so...)
    How is Traffic Watch 'abused'?

Gardai don't do anything with anonymous reports. If you want them to take action, you need to identify yourself and give a formal statement, just like with any other Garda matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

i know where you're coming from, but its not like we're all driving around looking for things to film people doing. For the vast majority of us its just driving normally and having for insurance purposes. If anything interesting happens in the meantime sure we'll throw it up on youtube for interest.
    RainyDay wrote: »
    How is Traffic Watch 'abused'?

Gardai don't do anything with anonymous reports. If you want them to take action, you need to identify yourself and give a formal statement, just like with any other Garda matter.

Traffic Watch can and will forward on reports to the local stations sometimes and the driver may receive a caution.

Also, going to the garda station yourself and reporting an incident to the garda at the desk will also result in a caution being given to the driver. The garda will ask for your name and basic details but "giving a formal statement" is far from what most people think it is.

Its not like you have to sit down and have a big criminal investigation. The driver at the other end doesnt even find out who you are.

source: have gone to the station before after a road rage incident where I was threatened wrongfully.

hairybelly wrote: »
    i know where you're coming from, but its not like we're all driving around looking for things to film people doing. For the vast majority of us its just driving normally and having for insurance purposes. If anything interesting happens in the meantime sure we'll throw it up on youtube for interest.

Absolutely, I've nothing against that at all. Dashcam's are a great idea when used for that purpose and this is a very good thread to log into and look at the videos. There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. They're just open to abuse from the usual cranks that are out there, you know yourself.

No harm done really I suppose because if the Cops were getting inundated with trivial nonsense from the same people all the time, I'm sure they'd just disregard it without even looking at it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement