Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Gosub wrote: »
    *More home-grown video needed in this thread*

Take a dashcam on the M50 during rush hour, you're sure to get something.
    I was nearly crushed by a fecken tipper truck this morning...

He didn't merge in "like a zipper" allowing one car per lane to proceed, even though my lane had the right of way.
    Just blindly followed the car in front of him, then mustn't have see me in his blind spot and I couldn't see his indicators as I was parallel to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I think you're being very generous there; there where points you were in front of him and it's bleedin' obvious in that traffic the lane is going to be busy. Still no harm etc. and at least he gets the embarrassment of being shown up for being an eejit on boards :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

When something tells you to hold back for a moment..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

K.Flyer wrote: »
    When something tells you to hold back for a moment..

Yer man on the other carriageway just saunters over for a bit of rubbernecking..... unreal.

Staying with HGVs for a moment. Wannabe Drifters take notes at 01.56

Some great saves in this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Yikes!!

that first vid is just crazy, it flipped the truck like it was a bike...

Incidentally, whats the purpose of the driver facing dash-cam (other than for hilarity)? I suppose I can see the reason for commercial drivers but they don't seem to serve much purpose in domestic cars. A failed attempt at a front and rear covering solution in on mount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Incidentally, whats the purpose of the driver facing dash-cam (other than for hilarity)? I suppose I can see the reason for commercial drivers but they don't seem to serve much purpose in domestic cars. A failed attempt at a front and rear covering solution in on mount?

I can only imagine its for one of 3 things.

1. proof in the event of an accident that the driver didn't nod off.
    2. Proof of who was driving the car if points need to go on a licence.
    3. The least tenable, proof the car was stolen and by who but seeing as a thief would most likely steal/disable the camera I'd go with the other 2 first.

ken wrote: »
    I can only imagine its for one of 3 things.

1. proof in the event of an accident that the driver didn't nod off.
    2. Proof of who was driving the car if points need to go on a licence.
    3. The least tenable, proof the car was stolen and by who but seeing as a thief would most likely steal/disable the camera I'd go with the other 2 first.
    and proof that the driver was/was not using a phone or doing something else that would be a distraction.

and proof that the driver was/was not using a phone or doing something else that would be a distraction.

Forgot about phone or other stuff.

• Advertisement

That's the nutter on the A14 in Kettering from a few days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I must have missed that one, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Here exactly:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93145156#post93145156

Also, beeps are not present. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Apologies for the quality, window was a bit fogged up this morning.

Pedestrian takes a gamble running between the van and myself. Not what I was expecting after only just setting off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

He didn't merge in "like a zipper" allowing one car per lane to proceed, even though my lane had the right of way.
    Just blindly followed the car in front of him, then mustn't have see me in his blind spot and I couldn't see his indicators as I was parallel to him.

Doesn't justify the maneuvre, but in fairness to the driver he did acknowledge how decent you were to let him in, with a double indicate at 0:35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Gosub wrote: »
    Ah here, chew over this one for a while. What happened here? The GTI seems to throw a wobbly in the merge. It's not like he was in a hurry, he settled down to just below the speed limit.

He thought 'Gosub' was D feds innit!?:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Nahhh, why didn't you let him in, instead of stressing yourself.. Two yokes in front of you had already fcuked off and you had only just let the VW in,, Relax man.. you need jiu jitsu :D...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

ardle1 wrote: »
    Nahhh, why didn't you let him in, instead of stressing yourself.. Two yokes in front of you had already fcuked off and you had only just let the VW in,,

He was parallel/behind me and I couldn't see his indicators, couldn't tell whether he was going straight or merging.
    There's a quarry/cement type place just off the Tallaght bypass, he could've been staying in that lane to go to that.
    For that length of vehicle, he really should have side indicators that I could've seen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not me driving, just popped up on YT:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Either drunk/hungover or seriously tired. The way he/she just strays into other lanes.

bear1 wrote: »
    Either drunk/hungover or seriously tired. The way he/she just strays into other lanes.

More than likely on the phone.

Caliden wrote: »
    More than likely on the phone.

What's the fine these days? 2k wasn't it? You'd think that would be enough to stop you from using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

What's the fine these days? 2k wasn't it? You'd think that would be enough to stop you from using it.

hah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Hah hah - something between 1/5 and 1/10 drivers have a phone in their hand by my observation in Dublin traffic (non-motorway).

RainyDay wrote: »
    Hah hah - something between 1/5 and 1/10 drivers have a phone in their hand by my observation in Dublin traffic (non-motorway).

I'd agree with that estimate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

You can't be fined if there isn't anybody out there to catch you on the phone,speeding,dangerous driving,no lights on when needed,hogging the overtaking lane,weaving between lanes and generally acting the bollox on the road,now can you.?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Since the big fine came in I am convinced the number of users while driving has gone up. Its as if they believe the fine is to high for a Garda to actually issue it, or some other rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bar32

Just outside Monasterevin today. (Timestamp is wrong.) Don't know how to put youtube video directly into post, sorry! Just add the h to the url.

ttp://youtu.be/PXOK6EbLS54

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

bar32 wrote: »
    Just outside Monasterevin today. (Timestamp is wrong.) Don't know how to put youtube video directly into post, sorry! Just add the h to the url.

ttp://youtu.be/PXOK6EbLS54

Jayyysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

bar32 wrote: »

There you go:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bar32

Mick55 wrote: »
    Jayyysus

Person she was overtaking veered into the hardshoulder when they saw what was happening. Would have been a v tight squeeze if they didn't. Pretty stupid move from Passat lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

At least she had her lights on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

wonski wrote: »
    At least she had her lights on.

yup, looked like the silver car that turned right had no lights on,
    or they probably had drl's on and thought that grand.

why dont drl's include rears?

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

The amount of woman driving MPVs full of kids today without lights was scary.

The amount of woman driving MPVs full of kids today without lights was scary.
    There are far too many motorists who believe that lights are only for seeing with and forget that are also for others to see you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

em02o.jpg:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

rameire wrote: »
    why dont drl's include rears?

Beacuse DRL's are designed for use at daytime during good visibility, and in such conditions there's no point in having rear tails lights on.

When visibility is restricted (fog, rain, snow, darkness, etc) normal dipped lights should be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Drove to Donegal the other day in very thick fog and passed hundreds of gob$hites with no lights on. Coming into Mullaghmore near Sligo a cop had a checkpoint and pulled over cars with no lights on (fair play to him). He had a queue of cars pulled in on opposite side and I had to wait and watch him absolutely fight with people to put them on.

One old woman in a silver mondeo :eek: with a dog jumping on her lap was refusing to put any lights on and told the cop to f**k off she can do what she wants. Eventually cop gave up, reached in, turned her lights on and told her to f**k off. Most Irish thing I've seen in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

gutteruu wrote: »
    Drove to Donegal the other day in very thick fog and passed hundreds of gob$hites with no lights on. Coming into Mullaghmore near Sligo a cop had a checkpoint and pulled over cars with no lights on (fair play to him). He had a queue of cars pulled in on opposite side and I had to wait and watch him absolutely fight with people to put them on.

One old woman in a silver mondeo :eek: with a dog jumping on her lap was refusing to put any lights on and told the cop to f**k off she can do what she wants. Eventually cop gave up, reached in, turned her lights on and told her to f**k off. Most Irish thing I've seen in years.

full dipped and full rears should be auto on all the time. ( My opinion )

was in the NCT this year, was sitting down watching my car go through its paces, when an old woman came up sat beside me, got chatting, acknowledged my car in front of us and she went off on one saying I should march round to the tester and get him to turn off my lights as he was wasting them.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    full dipped and full rears should be auto on all the time. ( My opinion )

was in the NCT this year, was sitting down watching my car go through its paces, when an old woman came up sat beside me, got chatting, acknowledged my car in front of us and she went off on one saying I should march round to the tester and get him to turn off my lights as he was wasting them.
    The same generation that refused to leave on the immersion! :pac:

anyway enough chat, more videos..
    This is the dramatic moment a number a of motorists escaped injury when a car clipped a lorry and bounced across the motorway before hitting a luxury BMW. The driver of a HGV was driving in the middle lane of a busy M6 during grim weather conditions. Travelling at around 35mph he approaches a motorists in a blue Nissan Note who isn't paying attention. The Nissan driver forgets to check its mirrors and pulls out, clipping the lorry and losing control before bouncing across three lanes of busy traffic.

• Advertisement

My neighbour drives a lorry for a quarry and he was telling me the other day that his boss went out an got 26 dash cams for the lorries. Boss assured them it wasn't for spying on them and if at the end of the day there was no incidents they could delete the info or download it to a home computer and wipe the sd card. He was a bit dubious but I showed him some lorry dash cam vids on youtube and now he is looking for a cam that'll work outside the lorry on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

gutteruu wrote: »

Fair play for the gard for at least doing something.
    Lack of prescribed heavy fines for such offences is the reason people completely don't obey it.

If this gard was allowed to fine every single driver with no lights in dense fog 200 euro and 3 penalty points, this would be highlighted in tv and papers, with information that dipped lights are required by law in fog, rain, snow, etc then maybe there would be some effect.

For now it's not just driver's which don't care. It's worse - they don't understand why lights are needed in the fog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The same generation that refused to leave on the immersion! :pac:

anyway enough chat, more videos..
    <snipped>

I suspect the cause of the crash was more to do with the white paint being removed where the lanes were being pushed left for the road works reflecting the sky and thus still being more visible than the temporary markings, driver was following the lane as they saw it

2h2fmmh.jpg

Mick55 wrote: »
    Jayyysus

Sure though wasn't the woman in the Passat FORCED, FORCED I say, into that maneuver by the car she was following driving under the speed limit not withstanding the road conditions. :pac:

I don't think the Note touched that BMW. Still though, lack of concentration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

A bit too close for comfort by the Meganne driver :o

Classic case of MIM (Manoeuvre Indicate Mirror).

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Just for those of you uploading your own videos to youtube. If you're going to describe what happens, keep it to a minimum and try not to use words that describe road traffic offences. If the driver sees these videos, there are a number of ways they can go legal on you and for the sake of posting videos here, it's really not worth it. I just go with date and location for video names and an equally bland description to avoid problems such as having my videos removed/account closed by youtube or something more serious.

A side issue: if you have the radio on in your car and it's audible on the video, youtube may automatically make the video unavailable in certain places due to copyright - I had this happen on my last video because you can hear Jeremih Don't tell em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Just for those of you uploading your own videos to youtube. If you're going to describe what happens, keep it to a minimum and try not to use words that describe road traffic offences. If the driver sees these videos, there are a number of ways they can go legal on you and for the sake of posting videos here, it's really not worth it.
    I'm sure you're right in theory, but has this ever happened in practice? Has a driver every 'gone legal' against a YouTube poster? Has anything worse that YouTube removing the video ever happened?

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote: »
    I'm sure you're right in theory, but has this ever happened in practice? Has a driver every 'gone legal' against a YouTube poster? Has anything worse that YouTube removing the video ever happened?

The problem is it would be two people resident in the state who are relatively easy to identify. If someone wants to take a defamation action it's colourable; frankly I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of even the most poorly drafted, half arsed complaint.

There's nothing to stop you posting but +1 on being careful about the narrative.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement