Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

PerrDub wrote: »
    How's this for car mounted cameras! Spotted this Merc today with what look like Go-Pro camera's proffesionally mounted on each wing mirror and rear window, possibly on the dash as well, could not see though...

Anyone seen this before?

vr4tox.jpg
    Saw him pull into the Croke Park Hotel today. Very odd setup. Everything sticks out a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Looks like a taxi/limo with the plate on the rear screen too (can't tell if it's black or dark green, although a 3.2 Merc would suggest limo, i.e., black). Can't think why he'd be filming day to day runs? :confused:

Thought I'd throw this up here. Just some test footage from a Samsung Galaxy S3.

App is Dailyroads Voyager. Sorry for bad shake, it's due to crap holder. Waiting for another one to arrive.

I have the app set to 1280x720. It could do full 1080p, but I think 720p is fine.

When my new holder arrives, I'll do a test with that too.

Edit: When uploading the video, youtube asked me if I wanted them to remove the shake. This is why is looks very strange. I will upload the original again now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Thought I'd throw this up here. Just some test footage from a Samsung Galaxy S3.

Makes it look like your going 100mph , how is that?

Makes it look like your going 100mph , how is that?
    Because I was going 100mph ;)

:pac:

My brother said the same thing you said when I showed him the vid on phone. I haven't got a clue why it does it. I pretty sure it was in or around speed limit.

Youtube probably has something to do with it.

When I get another mount, I'll enable GPS to overlay the speed etc when using the app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Because I was going 100mph ;)

:pac:

My brother said the same thing you said when I showed him he vid on phone. I haven't got a clue why it does it. I pretty sure it was in or around speed limit.

Youtube probably has something to do with it.

When I get another mount, I'll enable GPS to overlay the speed etc when using the app.

Probably dropped frames or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Thought I'd throw this up here. Just some test footage from a Samsung Galaxy S3 right before it exploded into flames!
    FYP! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

One from the other day, I had all my own dogs in the van and this dog had a very narrow escape.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

half expected to see blood stains smear the cam..:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

One from the other day, I had all my own dogs in the van and this dog had a very narrow escape.

Is that some mad German techno music or is it a woman talking and one of the dogs barking???

• Advertisement

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Is that some mad German techno music or is it a woman talking and one of the dogs barking???

That's Mrs Nissan Doctor giving out to our dogs because they won't stop barking(I had just picked them up from the kennels). They all shut up after I jammed on:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Luky there wasn't a car coming against you!

Most dogs that do that are more than capable of avoiding cars, being well used to it.

i would slam my breaks for an animal, but i'd never swerve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

It's instinct though - see a flash coming at you from the side of the road, some people will jam on the brakes instinctively without waiting to see if it's a kid on a trike, or a dog with a taste for Bridgestones. Others will just roll on through without even blinking.

Dashcam in that situation is good for showing that it wasn't a random out-of-control event if there did happen to be a crunch into a parked car, etc.

Luky there wasn't a car coming against you!

Most dogs that do that are more than capable of avoiding cars, being well used to it.

i would slam my breaks for an animal, but i'd never swerve.

Its an automatic response based on the circumstances IMO, I turned because I had room to with no danger, I wouldn't have swerved if the circumstances didn't allow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

We have neighbours who moved from Galway city that have an old terrier that does that every morning when i pass the house, they have had 2 puppies/younger terriers who used to do it too both both who got run over(one by my uncle who was very upset after it as he loves dogs), i swear if they lose another dog or if i hit one im gonna have a freakbout on their doorstep, so easy to train a dog not to do this.

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    We have neighbours who moved from Galway city that have an old terrier that does that every morning when i pass the house, they have had 2 puppies/younger terriers who used to do it too both both who got run over(one by my uncle who was very upset after it as he loves dogs), i swear if they lose another dog or if i hit one im gonna have a freakbout on their doorstep, so easy to train a dog not to do this.

People like this getting a knock on the door from the local SPCA often does the trick.

Too many people out there with no notion of how to look after or control their dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

People like this getting a knock on the door from the local SPCA often does the trick.

Too many people out there with no notion of how to look after or control their dogs.

You were more forgiving than most would be Doc.

MugMugs wrote: »
    You were more forgiving than most would be Doc.

Well the owner is a neighbour of a friend of ours so they'll be hearing about it.

The Astra often acts an ambulance for the LSPCA and DSPCA so people not looking after their dogs properly is very much a grind of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Another camera review from Techmoan

This is a bullet / action cam which might be more suitable for a motorbike but it could be used in a car as well.

Quite expensive : 200 - 250 euro but high quality.

Download samples:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?xqzjgaxvgd6x7

On the road review starts at about 17.30

Here's one from the other day. Torrential rain with serious spray and this truck was flying. Not only that, he started changing lanes for no reason, forcing a van to jam on by pulling out in front of them, weaving all over the place.
    I go to overtake at the very end and he pulls straight out in front of me with no indicator(the actual pulling out is on the start of the next recorded section)

Its a bit of a long clip..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Here's one from the other day. Torrential rain with serious spray and this truck was flying. Not only that, he started changing lanes for no reason, forcing a van to jam on by pulling out in front of them, weaving all over the place.

I had a BE coach do that to me before christmas just before J7 N'bound on the M50. The coach was in the merging lane coming from the naas road and I was in the 2nd lane. I indicated into the 1st lane with the intention to merge in front of the bus. That was until the bus suddenly decided that it wanted to be in a different land and looms towards me. Evasive maneuvers needed (thank god the road was dry :eek:). I was not a happy camper at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Maybe he was a European truck driver who kept getting confused and believed he was in the overtaking lane, and people were undertaking him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Came across this TWAT on Friday evening, reversing back up the on-ramp to the M1 at Dundalk. Video doesn't show her actually reversing back around the bend, spotted her reversing light hundreds of metres ahead.

Incredible...

No sound to block out the expletives.

What set up was that and how much is it?

Standard Roadhawk, can't remember how much, €200ish 2 years ago maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

What set up was that and how much is it?

Thats a UB1, Roadhawk RH-1, XDriven DSR1110 they are all the one..

I've one for sale on adverts if you are interested ;)

Came across this TWAT on Friday evening, reversing back up the on-ramp to the M1 at Dundalk. Video doesn't show her actually reversing back around the bend, spotted her reversing light hundreds of metres ahead.

Incredible...

No sound to block out the expletives.

LOL @ the no-sound thing, I have done that myself. Must figure out how to use the censorship bleep in Moviemaker.

Good job the opposite side of the road was clear as there was a gobsh1te in an A4 driving up my ar5e:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Beep Beep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

A black cat runs out under the car around the 28 second mark

^^^warning to animal lovers:eek:

Did you do the auto fix thing on youtube? It seems to make the camera float around like that.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

^^^warning to animal lovers:eek:

Did you do the auto fix thing on youtube? It seems to make the camera float around like that.:confused:

Yep- thats the youtube auto fix -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

did your dashcam save it's ass, or were you just posting it as a kitty a snuff movie? :pac:

Good job the opposite side of the road was clear as there was a gobsh1te in an A4 driving up my ar5e:rolleyes:

Could you see the road behind the van before you swerved out onto the wrong side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Could you see the road behind the van before you swerved out onto the wrong side?
    It looks like he could according to what I see. I think the van driver was partially missighted by the artic which drove ahead. Seems like a fast stretch of road and this added some drama. Not a good situation.

Of course:eek: Given the situation I figured just driving around the van was the best option to avoid any issues from behind me if I braked hard.

If there had been traffic coming the other way it would certainly have been a bit more dramatic.

Of course:eek: Given the situation I figured just driving around the van was the best option to avoid any issues from behind me if I braked hard.

If there had been traffic coming the other way it would certainly have been a bit more dramatic.

It's either a dash cam or a front grill for the Jag...

Hmmm

It's either a dash cam or a front grill for the Jag...

Hmmm

Damn... and we know that chrome always wins.

Okay, how about this:

[man maths]
    if you spend EUR300 on a proper dash cam, and EUR50 on a 32gb card, and you get 5 years out of the thing. That equals 20 cents per day. Surely you can afford that (and the chrome upgrade)
    [/man maths]

I'll start putting away the 20 cent now ;)

• Advertisement

Speaking of retards... what do you make of this Fiesta in Chapelizod ?

Uses the buslane to undertake one car immediately before traffic lights, then moves to the right-turn-only lane, sits across the white line at the red light and tears through against the red as soon as he can (barely).#

**BTW can't seem to ever upload to Youtube in HD

Can't get over the quality of that Frank, truly amazing, might upgrade myself at some stage!

It's worth it the extra €€

That vid ^ doesn't do the Blackvue justice, the original vid is pin-sharp. I just can get Youtube to upload and display it properly, even with the 1080p settings enable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I've being on the prowl for one of these until i got a smartphone and downloaded daily road app

https://www.adverts.ie/car-parts-accessories/road-hawk-rh-2-in-car-camera-system/1285229

but yer man here seems to be having trouble shifting this yoke even though its great value
    if i didnt have the phone id have this :eek:

I've being on the prowl for one of these until i got a smartphone and downloaded daily road app

https://www.adverts.ie/car-parts-accessories/road-hawk-rh-2-in-car-camera-system/1285229

but yer man here seems to be having trouble shifting this yoke even though its great value
    if i didnt have the phone id have this :eek:

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I posted this before but have been testing out Torque for a while now, seems pretty good and logs the GPS data too.

That youtube anti shake thing is annoying !

I'd worry long term about the battery in the phone though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

How are you recording video with the Torque overlay? I've used Torque for a while, but never knew this was possible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

How are you recording video with the Torque overlay? I've used Torque for a while, but never knew this was possible...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.recorder&hl=en

Install that and you'll get the option in Torque ;)

Supposedly for Track days but works fine as a Dash cam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.recorder&hl=en

Install that and you'll get the option in Torque ;)

Supposedly for Track days but works fine as a Dash cam.

Excellent. Thanks. :D

This evening just after work I came across this.

Description of what happened is in the Audio...I work with the guy in the red Focus.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement