Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

There is a lane for the city centre further on up the road. It's a bit of a mess so you really need to pay attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

bladebrew wrote: »
    The cyclist is heading for the m50 aswell which is a bit worrying! Where was he heading?

Could be heading off the slip to Monastery Road direction...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hal1 wrote: »
    I could see him from a distance back, but not discernible in the vid due to low light conditions.

You can see his light from a good bit back on the vid, can't see him swerving though.

I don't see what the problem is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

If there had been more traffic there could have been a problem. He wasn't exactly keeping left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Kramer wrote: »
    Why have you described the cyclist as a wanker? Was cycling prohibited on that stretch of road at that time or was he doing something untoward?
    In your video his rear light is visible 6 seconds before you pass him. Dashcam footage is always poor in low light so he would have been even more visible in reality.
    I didn't see any cycle lanes & he was cycling well out into the lane but the biggest problem I would have with your footage is the poor visibility caused by work-site floodlights pointing towards oncoming traffic.
    Is this the new RSA safety initiative - blinding drivers with floodlights?

Obviously, if I'm incorrect, please disregard my comments :D

I would describe anyone as a wanker cycling on the busiest dual carriageway in the country in the middle of a lane with black clothes on a black bike with just a reflector on the rear.

That constitutes a wanker. Does this person not have family they want to return to?

Absolute tool moron and you would be sure its someone elses fault for barely making him out in the dark.

That idiot needs to see that footage then go and purchase himself some appropriate safety gear if he chooses to cycle on this stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Hal1 wrote: »
    If there had been more traffic there could have been a problem. He wasn't exactly keeping left.

Possibly because he didn't want motorists to pass him too closely. Unfortunately due to the current design of the road, he doesn't seem to many options other than to share a busy lane with motorised traffic. By taking the lane he forced you to go around him giving plenty of space rather than pass him more closely. It is widely acknowledged as good cycling practice to cycle in such a defensive manner. All you had to do was assess the situation, slow down if necessary, and overtake when safe. What is the big deal in that.

Alias G wrote: »
    Possibly because he didn't want motorists to pass him too closely. Unfortunately due to the current design of the road, he doesn't seem to many options other than to share a busy lane with motorised traffic. By taking the lane he forced you to go around him giving plenty of space rather than pass him more closely. It is widely acknowledged as good cycling practice to cycle in such a defensive manner. All you had to do was assess the situation, slow down if necessary, and overtake when safe. What is the big deal in that.

"That idiot needs to see that footage then go and purchase himself some appropriate safety gear if he chooses to cycle on this stretch of road."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

listermint wrote: »
    "That idiot needs to see that footage then go and purchase himself some appropriate safety gear if he chooses to cycle on this stretch of road."

That is a light the cyclist has, not a reflector, and while I think he should have hi-vis just to make sure he's seen the light can be seen well in advance that the camera driver could have moved out a little earlier to avoid him, it's known that not commanding a traffic lane can cause people to squeeze by increasing the chance of getting clipped, I have had this happen to me first hand.

So here's the thing, he probably be more visible, but can be seen early enough in this vid.

He probably could do with being a bit more left of centre, but certainly not in a position to be pinned to the curb.

That road (if as busy as I think), should have an alternative route for bikes, but this is Ireland after all.

The driver deliberately buzzing a person on a bike knowing that should they collide the cyclist will come off worse is every bit of a wanker as the person they are alluding the cyclist is.

I think maybe all car drivers should have to commute daily for one week by bike before getting their license, might give them a better understanding of pulling crap like this. Since I got back road cycling it's opened my eyes to the type of people on the roads who detest cyclists, as if the idiots showing themselves up to other motorists isn't enough in some of these videos.

To end, cyclists don't cover themselves in glory either, but every prick cyclist who thinks the rules of the road don't apply to them are hated by proper cyclists just as much as they are by motorists, it puts the rest of us in danger when the red mist drops.

He has a light not a reflector. The poster even stated in one of his posts that he saw him from well back the road. The poster also admitted that the poor camera lighting makes the footage less clear than it actually was. It may be a busy dual carriage way but the speed limit reduces to 60 on that stretch. No excuses for not overtaking the cyclist safely. My definition of a wanker is someone who thinks their mode of transport gives them the right to run another mode off the road. No excuses for the cyclist not having reflective gear either but that's not a legal requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

cycling through the park the other day. posted in cycling forum but it's appropriate for here I reckon. woman goes straight through and over the roundabout! was icy too I was going slow enough but still went into a skid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Let natural selection do its thing. Cycling a black bike wearing black cloths on a black night on black roads. Humanity will survive without these wanke....guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

gutteruu wrote: »
    Let natural selection do its thing. Cycling a black bike wearing black cloths on a black night on black roads. Humanity will survive without these wanke....guys

With a light and was seen regardless of all the black because of the light..... but don't let that get in the way of your rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

00sully wrote: »
    cycling through the park the other day. posted in cycling forum but it's appropriate for here I reckon. woman goes straight through and over the roundabout! was icy too I was going slow enough but still went into a skid

I think you'll find most of us equal opportunity abusers in relation to poor driving.

Did you forward the footage on to traffic watch/guards, looks like you can see the reg plates.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He has a light not a reflector. The poster even stated in one of his posts that he saw him from well back the road. The poster also admitted that the poor camera lighting makes the footage less clear than it actually was. It may be a busy dual carriage way but the speed limit reduces to 60 on that stretch. No excuses for not overtaking the cyclist safely. My definition of a wanker is someone who thinks their mode of transport gives them the right to run another mode off the road. No excuses for the cyclist not having reflective gear either but that's not a legal requirement.

yeah i agree.

on the footage you can see the cyclist a full 5 seconds before the driver passes him, so in real life he was probable visable earlier than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

this guy just came out onto the N7 inbound.
    after he went straight into my path in lane two he continued on into lane 3 and eventually gave me the finger.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

00sully wrote: »

<Snipped video>

Hate to think how fast you cycle when your NOT going slow enough!

Anyhows, I suspect that the main problem would be the lack of visual acuity given by the sun being low on the horizon
    1222ik2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

rameire wrote: »

after he went straight into my path in lane two he continued on into lane 3 and eventually gave me the figure.

What figure did you get?:p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Anyhows, I suspect that the main problem would be the lack of visual acuity given by the sun being low on the horizon
    1222ik2.jpg

I remember a similar reason being given to a Garda on Thomas St. Lady ran a red and when the Garda pulled her in she said she couldn't make out the lights because of the low sun. To which the Garda correctly, facepalmed, then replied, if you can't see because of the sun, you shouldn't be driving.

His response at the time was quite witty but I can't remember it, pretend what I said was witty with the same general gist and you get the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

I think you'll find most of us equal opportunity abusers in relation to poor driving.

Did you forward the footage on to traffic watch/guards, looks like you can see the reg plates.

you actually can't see the complete registration in the video (you can make most of it out but its blurry). I had the camera setting on 720p @30fps. I have since upped this to 1080p @60fps :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

rameire wrote: »

after he went straight into my path in lane two he continued on into lane 3 and eventually gave me the finger.

Are you aware that that area is currently 60kph?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Hate to think how fast you cycle when your NOT going slow enough!

Have to disagree, I suspect the main problem would be that the car driver was a dopey c#nt who doesn't give a toss about other road users.
    They either didn't look or didn't care.
    The cyclist was well on the roundabout and had to be well within view.
    If the driver couldn't see someone at that distance they should off the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

Are you aware that that area is currently 60kph?

yes

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Have to disagree, I suspect the main problem would be that the car driver was a dopey c#nt who doesn't give a toss about other road users.
    They either didn't look or didn't care.
    The cyclist was well on the roundabout and had to be well within view.
    If the driver couldn't see someone at that distance they should off the road.

Really, do you do much early morning driving into the sun, when it's so low that even the sun visor is too high.
    29x9bpd.jpg

Note the arms of the glasses being below the shadow cast by the sun visor

Note I'm not saying she wasn't to blame but just showing that it is a good idea NOT to assume a driver can see you just because you can see them, especially in morning or evening sun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Really, do you do much early morning driving into the sun, when it's so low that even the sun visor is too high.
    lasses being below the shadow cast by the sun visor

Made no attempt to slow down to check; dopey and wreckless, you'll come upon the likes of this often if you ride a motorcycle, if you're not the size of a car or bigger you don't exist - driver just didn't look.

Note I'm not saying she wasn't to blame but just showing that it is a good idea NOT to assume a driver can see you just because you can see them, especially in morning or evening sun
    A primary rule.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

rizzodun wrote: »
    That is a light the cyclist has, not a reflector, and while I think he should have hi-vis just to make sure he's seen the light can be seen well in advance that the camera driver could have moved out a little earlier to avoid him, it's known that not commanding a traffic lane can cause people to squeeze by increasing the chance of getting clipped, I have had this happen to me first hand.

So here's the thing, he probably be more visible, but can be seen early enough in this vid.

He probably could do with being a bit more left of centre, but certainly not in a position to be pinned to the curb.

That road (if as busy as I think), should have an alternative route for bikes, but this is Ireland after all.

The driver deliberately buzzing a person on a bike knowing that should they collide the cyclist will come off worse is every bit of a wanker as the person they are alluding the cyclist is.

I think maybe all car drivers should have to commute daily for one week by bike before getting their license, might give them a better understanding of pulling crap like this. Since I got back road cycling it's opened my eyes to the type of people on the roads who detest cyclists, as if the idiots showing themselves up to other motorists isn't enough in some of these videos.

To end, cyclists don't cover themselves in glory either, but every prick cyclist who thinks the rules of the road don't apply to them are hated by proper cyclists just as much as they are by motorists, it puts the rest of us in danger when the red mist drops.

This isnt a 'them versus us' arguement which im going to fundamentally assume to you it is.

Let me put this in perspective for you.

I Drive a car,

I Drive a motorbike

I also own and cycle a road bike and also a commuter bike.

Now while it may not seem obvious to you and the barrage of thanks crew under your post I have more road experience than you due to my varying modes of optional transport . (get this i even have a leap card :eek: )

If you think it is okay to cycle down "THE BUSIEST dual carriageway" on this island of ours with a Black Bike with Black Clothes Black Hood and what appears to be no sign of a helmet. With What looks to be a reflector but perhaps may be a single fixed light on the rear in the depths of an Irish Winter well then you also need your head examined.

Stop deflecting this off as a driver 'buzzin' someone. I dont think anyone buzzed anyway. That does not take away from the ultimate stupidity that this 'cyclist' put themselves in. (please again refer to my transport modes above) Any cyclist worth their salt would not put themselves in that position with zero visibility of themselves on the road.

I personally want to make it home every evening. But sure it appears you and your thanks brigade would be rather right than dead. "sure it was the cars fault"

There isnt enough rolls eyes in the world.

Oh i also have a Canoe , take it to the river and cry me one.

• Advertisement

This isnt a 'them versus us' arguement which im going to fundamentally assume to you it is.

Let me put this in perspective for you.

I Drive a car,

I Drive a motorbike

I also own and cycle a road bike and also a commuter bike.

Now while it may not seem obvious to you and the barrage of thanks crew under your post I have more road experience than you due to my varying modes of optional transport . (get this i even have a leap card :eek: )

If you think it is okay to cycle down "THE BUSIEST dual carriageway" on this island of ours with a Black Bike with Black Clothes Black Hood and what appears to be no sign of a helmet. With What looks to be a reflector but perhaps may be a single fixed light on the rear in the depths of an Irish Winter well then you also need your head examined.

Stop deflecting this off as a driver 'buzzin' someone. I dont think anyone buzzed anyway. That does not take away from the ultimate stupidity that this 'cyclist' put themselves in. (please again refer to my transport modes above) Any cyclist worth their salt would not put themselves in that position with zero visibility of themselves on the road.

I personally want to make it home every evening. But sure it appears you and your thanks brigade would be rather right than dead. "sure it was the cars fault"

There isnt enough rolls eyes in the world.

Oh i also have a Canoe , take it to the river and cry me one.

What zero visibility are you on about. The poster has freely admitted that they saw the cyclist from well down the road(due to their light presumably) and that the lighting in the footage isn't an accurate portrayal of actual visibility which was far better at the scene. The speed limit there is 60kph and there are two other lanes for overtaking quite easily.

What zero visibility are you on about. The poster has freely admitted that they saw the cyclist from well down the road(due to their light presumably) and that the lighting in the footage isn't an accurate portrayal of actual visibility which was far better at the scene. The speed limit there is 60kph and there are two other lanes for overtaking quite easily.

This is not a normal road, Anyone cycling on it should make themselves as visible as possible or risk death.

Dont try to sugar coat it. That stretch is extremely dangerous.

But sure no, the lad in the body bag was 'right'

This is not a normal road, Anyone cycling on it should make themselves as visible as possible or risk death.

Dont try to sugar coat it. That stretch is extremely dangerous.

But sure no, the lad in the body bag was 'right'

Of coarse it is a normal road what are you on about. One with a speed limit appropriate to the conditions. I have acknowledged that the cyclists clothing was not optimum but you would need to be blind not to see his light. The reality is that the majority of cycling fatalities are caused by large left turning vehicles where reflective clothing is of no benefit anyway. Not seeing a cyclists rear light in front of you is down to poor driver observation and nothing else.

Of coarse it is a normal road what are you on about. One with a speed limit appropriate to the conditions. I have acknowledged that the cyclists clothing was not optimum but you would need to be blind not to see his light. The reality is that the majority of cycling fatalities are caused by large left turning vehicles where reflective clothing is of no benefit anyway. Not seeing a cyclists rear light in front of you is down to poor driver observation and nothing else.

Super you backed this up with stats.

Congratulations for winning the bodybag because you made the effort on a single rear light.

Beg belief people can be so stupid as to be in the right rather than be seen.

29x9bpd.jpg.

Yes, quite often actually. And thats why I always have a good pair of sunglasses to hand for such occasions and take extra care approaching junctions.

It doesn't excuse bad driving.
    Never trust Anyone on the road,

• Advertisement

Super you backed this up with stats.

Congratulations for winning the bodybag because you made the effort on a single rear light.

Beg belief people can be so stupid as to be in the right rather than be seen.

The majority of cyclist fatalities also happen during daylight (presumably due to volume) .are you actually gonna argue that interactions at junctions ,notably left turning vehicles isn't the single biggest risk to cyclists. What good is reflective clothing when you are on the inside rear and the drivers headlights aren't on you. Why are you conveniently ignoring where I have repeated that the poster saw the cyclist from far enough back the road to observe his actions well in advance of passing. What does that say about the effectiveness of the rear light. And leave the body bag and calling people stupid talk out. Makes you sound smug and condescending. I'm not arguing use of a single light is an ideal. But it constitutes a minimum level of saftey because lights are the primary source if visibility in darkness.

The majority of cyclist fatalities also happen during daylight (presumably due to volume) .are you actually gonna argue that interactions at junctions ,notably left turning vehicles isn't the single biggest risk to cyclists. What good is reflective clothing when you are on the inside rear and the drivers headlights aren't on you. Why are you conveniently ignoring where I have repeated that the poster saw the cyclist from far enough back the road to observe his actions well in advance of passing. What does that say about the effectiveness of the rear light. And leave the body bag and calling people stupid talk out. Makes you sound smug and condescending. I'm not arguing use of a single light is an ideal. But it constitutes a minimum level of saftey because lights are the primary source if visibility in darkness.

I won't engage with anyone who disputes what this cyclist was doing was fool hardy.

If he was my son I'd clip him on the back if the head.

And no it does not constitute a minimal level of safety far from minimal. You should never work in the emergency services if this constitutes as being a minimal level of safety to you.

Again I think you are making this as a them verus us which frankly I laugh at. And yes il be condescending to anybody who promotes this as acceptable road behaviour it's negligence.

here we go again :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Really dont see an argument here. The cyclist could have been wearing a clown suit with clown shoes .

The driver was still 100% at fault.

On a side note. Cyclists who refuse to wear dayglow hi-viz gear are asking for trouble, when they are the most vulnerable.
    Im guessing its more to do with style and pigheadedness rather than common sense .

I cycle to work everyday(then drive for a living) I am lit up like a Christmas tree. Its eye catching.
    Those dossy morning drivers need all the help they can get to see me filtering .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Hmm so we are back to the bitch and moan topic of cyclists... Isn't there a thread for that...

I won't engage with anyone who disputes what this cyclist was doing was fool hardy.

If he was my son I'd clip him on the back if the head.

And no it does not constitute a minimal level of safety far from minimal. You should never work in the emergency services if this constitutes as being a minimal level of safety to you.

Again I think you are making this as a them verus us which frankly I laugh at. And yes il be condescending to anybody who promotes this as acceptable road behaviour it's negligence.

Of course you wont engage with me. To be fair you haven't engaged with or countered a single point I've made. Simply ranted about foolhardiness based soley on your opinion without substantiation. And your us vs them argument was with another poster. Again, I don't consider the cyclists attire ideal and certainly have better kit myself. But the light could be seen well in advance and was adequate for the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

It's the motoring equivalent of the "if you didn't want to be sexually harassed, you shouldn't have dressed like a slut" argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Dopey car driver. Guarantee that cyclist would have been seen if they had actually looked. As apart from quickly looking and seeing no car.

No defending that.

Have my 0803 now for a few days, accidentally left it on in the NCT centre today :pac:

I find it's great for reviewing my own driving as I'm far from the best driver out there.

The cable and stuff they give is great, slotted in under some of the covers in the car, you'd never know it was there. The unit itself sits nicely under my rear view and I can't see it when driving so no temptation to try and drive on an inch and a half screen :D

My only regret is not getting one with rear view as tailgating is one of my pet hates, I might get a dummy and a little sign! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Cyclist has a death wish. Don't think I've ever seen one on that stretch of road even before the flyover.

Surprised they're allowed on there considering its not 100% finished yet. I know they were forbidden during the construction phase.

Sadly, it will some poor motorist who has to live with putting him in a body bag if he keeps at that.

• Advertisement

Right, A Vid for Yis!

How on Earth did the guy approaching the junction where people are breaking the red light not see that. I know thew other party was at fault but mad, mad driving.

And More Lunacy

What a great name for brightly coloured yob-mobiles! Fecking Pokemons! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

29x9bpd.jpg

Note the arms of the glasses being below the shadow cast by the sun visor

So your saying she was completely blinded by the sun!?!
    If that's the case she should have stopped and 'stared' into the oncoming lane/exit.....
    Jaysus I never wear sun-glasses! and I've never been that blinded.....:cool:<<these are the only sun-glasses I wear......

More videos less BS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

what is the point of posting videos we can all find on youtube if we so desire.? Let's have less of that and more original material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

corktina wrote: »
    what is the point of posting videos we can all find on youtube if we so desire.? Let's have less of that and more original material.

Probably because, and it is proven nearly on every page, that whoever posts up their own video gets slated or a show down begins were people look for anything that is wrong in the OPs driving which then causes a shouting match.
    At least in the Russian ones which lets face it are much more exciting don't generally cause any upset within the thread.

corktina wrote: »
    bear1 wrote: »
    Probably because, and it is proven nearly on every page, that whoever posts up their own video gets slated or a show down begins were people look for anything that is wrong in the OPs driving which then causes a shouting match.
    At least in the Russian ones which lets face it are much more exciting don't generally cause any upset within the thread.

TBH I was just trying to get the stupid argument stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

A few bits from today nothing major ...

Clip 1. Car randomly drives into oncoming traffic lane,
    Clip 2. Drag race between a truck and and a car(I stopped accelerating when I got to the 60 kph speed limit),
    Clip 3. Red light runner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement