Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

TBH I was just trying to get the stupid argument stopped.
    I posted a few Ruskies for the same reason as well! ;)

I hope I never have to witness some of the crashes in those videos either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

bear1 wrote: »
    Probably because, and it is proven nearly on every page, that whoever posts up their own video gets slated or a show down begins were people look for anything that is wrong in the OPs driving which then causes a shouting match.
    At least in the Russian ones which lets face it are much more exciting don't generally cause any upset within the thread.

Welllll if people would just post their videos and stop 'alleging' everyone else is at fault, and say stuff like 'jaysus I was lucky today',, instead of 'look what this idiot etc etc etc done on me today'....
    Anyway even if it's just a simple thing like avoiding a bunny wabbit(think that was my last vid)we all appreciate it more than some randomly downloaded 'sick at the sight of' video from youtube. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

dickwod1 wrote: »
    A few bits from today nothing major ...

Clip 1. Car randomly drives into oncoming traffic lane,
    Clip 2. Drag race between a truck and and a car(I stopped accelerating when I got to the 60 kph speed limit),
    Clip 3. Red light runner.

Clip 3 happens so much there, pass there every evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Car drives into yellow box.The box is there to allow buses to make the tight turn.
    Notice the bus driver drives up to the car and puts his hands behind his head to wait for the box to clear.I wish drivers would not drive into yellow boxes when their exit is not clear.Seems to happen all the time now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭ORVEE

huggs2 wrote: »
    Car drives into yellow box.The box is there to allow buses to make the tight turn.
    Notice the bus driver drives up to the car and puts his hands behind his head to wait for the box to clear.I wish drivers would not drive into yellow boxes when their exit is not clear.Seems to happen all the time now. :(

Well done on giving them enough space to reverse if they so wished to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Could that car have reversed any slower :confused: Came very close to hitting the kerb too although at such high speed, the poor driver was trying his/her best to concentrate on all the other aspects of reversing at high speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Fück the bus and car, did mine eyes just witness a cyclist dismount his bike to cross the road and bring it on a path?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

ken wrote: »
    Fück the bus and car, did mine eyes just witness a cyclist dismount his bike to cross the road and bring it on a path?.

I was just about to post about that numpty after watching the video. The cyclist can clearly see the car is reversing back towards them and what do the do - instead of stopping no further forward then the camera car where they can't be hit they decide to go into the space between the 2 cars -- between a moving object that weighs a ton and another stationary object that weighs a ton. If the clutch cable had snapped or the driver of the corolla panicked and hit the accelerator the cyclist would have been crushed between two cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I'd guess the driver is reversing slowly because the sun is in his eyes through his mirrors. Just as well he didn't shoot back as he'd never have seen that cyclist. Well done dash cam driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Any chance that we can avoid a blow by blow, frame by frame, worst case scenario, look at the weather post-mortem on this one? Pretty please

BTW the car was too close to the kerb :pac:

Sorry just couldn't resist!

• Advertisement

Just a quick note. There were 2 ladies in the car but it could just have been 2 guys,does not matter.Sorry you cant see the bus driver put his hands behind his head and leaning back in quiet recognition of the fact he is not going anywhere soon.Thanks guys,i always leave room for drivers who enter yellow boxes when their exit is not clear.Hope we don't get cameras with ANPR like in London or we could have a situation like this one box junction in Fulham London.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2261734/Moneybox-junction-The-West-London-traffic-light-trap-rakes-2-7m-year.html

Incidentally there are times that you are allowed to enter the yellow box even though the exit isn't clear. But yes it's pet hate of mine that people don't know how to use the properly, especially turning right at lights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Just a quick note. There were 2 ladies in the car but it could just have been 2 guys,does not matter.Sorry you cant see the bus driver put his hands behind his head and leaning back in quiet recognition of the fact he is not going anywhere soon.Thanks guys,i always leave room for drivers who enter yellow boxes when their exit is not clear.Hope we don't get cameras with ANPR like in London or we could have a situation like this one box junction in Fulham London.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2261734/Moneybox-junction-The-West-London-traffic-light-trap-rakes-2-7m-year.html

There's very little that annoys me more than traffic lights with idiotic sequences.

Incidentally there are times that you are allowed to enter the yellow box even though the exit isn't clear. But yes it's pet hate of mine that people don't know how to use the properly, especially turning right at lights!
    Like this one recorded 3 min. after the one above.Driver takes off on green for ahead only and does not wait for green filter light.I don't think the red filter light was working but still the driver tries to barge his/her way through the oncoming traffic.

Like this one recorded 3 min. after the one above.Driver takes off on green for ahead only and does not wait for green filter light.I don't think the red filter light was working but still the driver tries to barge his/her way through the oncoming traffic.

Actually and I stand to be corrected other than being a bit discourteous I think that's fine.

(i) Moving off on green - that's fine it's only where there is a filter only that you can't move off.

(ii) Moving into the yellow box, again fine when turning right. Even if the lights go red for you while in the box you still have right of way to turn right as the opposing lights may only proceed on green if the junction is clear.

EDIT: Only thing that could be an issue there is moving from thew major to minor road might preclude one from entering and blocking the yellow box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

ken wrote: »

Yes Yes... and he had no lights and no high vis!!! Lets track him down quickly and smite him to the ground for such rambunctious behaviour :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Nothing wrong with that? The exit was clear. Maybe if they were too far forward they could have interfered with oncoming traffic trying to turn right, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Are you saying that if there was no oncoming traffic at that junction you should wait until the filter came on?

Edit: I can see they were blocking the right hand lane slightly, but other than that?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that? The exit was clear. Maybe if they were too far forward they could have interfered with oncoming traffic trying to turn right, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Are you saying that if there was no oncoming traffic at that junction you should wait until the filter came on?

Edit: I can see they were blocking the right hand lane slightly, but other than that?

Not visible from the video but it forces traffic coming from the opposite site going straight to veer left into the lane of traffic turning left. The junction itself isn't big enough for someone to be crowding the yellow box like that.

And yes, they should wait until the filter comes on if it's a set of lights with an arrow for cars going straight (different from a normal green light)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Caliden wrote: »
    And yes, they should wait until the filter comes on if it's a set of lights with an arrow for cars going straight (different from a normal green light)

Yes but that's not the situation in the video that we're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

the green isn't just for traffic to go straight ahead only though, the car in front was doing nothing wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Not sure what was going on here - maybe someone was using a phone or didn't have seatbelt on......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

BMJD wrote: »
    the green isn't just for traffic to go straight ahead only though, the car in front was doing nothing wrong

Yes, this drives me mad...if there is no red, you don't have to wait for a green filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

A few drivers making their own lanes today, 3 clips.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Not sure what was going on here - maybe someone was using a phone or didn't have seatbelt on......

The music in these vids is great!! :D

Also don't be causing trouble near my gaffe :P

Odd that he seemed to stop him for a second time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The music in these vids is great!! :D

Also don't be causing trouble near my gaffe :P

Odd that he seemed to stop him for a second time.

I thought the Guard was giving him a warning, but then he argued back. After that I think the idea was to get him through the junction and out of the way of the traffic.

All told I think the 'event' lasted about 2 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

...I wish drivers would not drive into yellow boxes when their exit is not clear.Seems to happen all the time now. :(

Well done OP on leaving enough space initially, but between 1:09 and 1:12 are you not doing what you say you don't like others to do?
    Open to correction.

josip wrote: »
    Well done OP on leaving enough space initially, but between 1:09 and 1:12 are you not doing what you say you don't like others to do?
    Open to correction.

Don't get it, OP can see the box will clear, you don't have to wait for it to be clear before proceeding.

We're making great corrections here today. I predict that when I leave the house tomorrow traffic jams will be a thing of the past :pac:

Open to correction.

That's ridiculous, the exit is always clear, it doesn't matter that there's a car in front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Open to correction.

Imagine the madness if everyone did that during rush hour traffic here: http://goo.gl/maps/UpCRQ one car at a time :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

This happens everytime at the first exit off the N3 for Blanchardstown, eejits stopping in the box so 40 foots can't turn. Its bad enough waiting for them lights without having to wait a second or third time.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    This happens everytime at the first exit off the N3 for Blanchardstown, eejits stopping in the box so 40 foots can't turn. Its bad enough waiting for them lights without having to wait a second or third time.

Happens around St. Stephen's green as well with buses turning right after the Shelbourne and some fool goes past the stop line at the traffic lights.

Bus has to just wait until the car realises what's going on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hope we don't get cameras with ANPR like in London or we could have a situation like this one box junction in Fulham London.

I hope we do, have a forward box for right turning vehicles (one that can sit so that either the lights give it time to move as the light goes Red or if it gets stuck that is not in the way of other traffic) and everything else got done. Some drivers have no comprehension that one of the main reasons (probably not but it doesn't help) traffic flow backs up so quickly is just one or two muppets sitting on a yellow box, and there we have it, an extra 30 minutes onto my 20 minute drive.

I am not sure what most drivers in the morning think a yellow box is for but I would like to assure them it is not a caution "be careful, when you get your green light there might be someone parked here".

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

No camera footage with little old pedestrian me.

7.30 am this morning on the South Quays in Cork City centre. A silver Suzuki Celerio, 132 D driving along with no lights on and ran a red light into the bargain. He even slowed for the lights, brakes lights working grand, before driving on through.

article-2261734-16EAEF82000005DC-831_634x622.jpg

Is the law different in the UK or am I losing my mind? I'm having to question myself here, but isn't it ok for the red car turning right to swing into the yellow box, I mean what other purpose would this yellow box: http://goo.gl/maps/mNxqm have other than to allow traffic at the stop line out into a heavy flow of traffic just like is conveniently captured by Google.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cormie wrote: »
    Is the law different in the UK or am I losing my mind? I'm having to question myself here, but isn't it ok for the red car turning right to swing into the yellow box, I mean what other purpose would this yellow box: http://goo.gl/maps/mNxqm have other than to allow traffic at the stop line out into a heavy flow of traffic just like is conveniently captured by Google.

Not crazy: https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/road-junctions-170-to-183

Scroll to 174

I would have presumed the camera is on the straight ahead light and only captures the straight ahead traffic, maybe not, but I suspect that the daily mail drew up that graphic without actually thinking it through, but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The report says that an average of 111 drivers are caught daily not using the yellow box correctly.
    They fail to mention that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of drivers who know how to use the junction correctly on a daily basis and don't get any fines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

in the graphic, blue cars arent allowed stop in the yellow box

red car is allowed stop in the box, but only if it doesnt impede traffic flow (traffic moving in opposite direction to the queue of 4 blue cars)

Im presuming from the graphic, that the last blue car that doesnt make it though the lights and stops in the box, doesnt allow the red car enter the junction without impeding opposite traffic flow, so both are at fault - and both fined (rightly tbh)

bit of a daft graphic, as I'd say its more then one car blocking the yellow box, as the red car should be able to 'trailer swing' behind the blue car, and not impede traffic

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not crazy: https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/road-junctions-170-to-183

Scroll to 174

I would have presumed the camera is on the straight ahead light and only captures the straight ahead traffic, maybe not, but I suspect that the daily mail drew up that graphic without actually thinking it through, but I could be wrong.

#174 is only stating that it's ok for the blue car in the junction to stop there if they were turning right, it doesn't explain the situation of the red car at all, but surely at a busy junction like that the red car would never get an opportunity to turn right if the 4 car length spaces were always occupied from traffic going straight ahead, kind of making the box not serve it's purpose, which would be to allow the red car an opportunity to turn right.

Page #126 of the Irish ROTR doesn't explain it either, but does show another red car (it's always the red cars wanting to join the main flow of traffic I see) stopped in a yellow box who has just come from a side road. The "DON'T" beside it, is for the blue car not to enter, not for the red car not to be there.

Wossack wrote: »
    in the graphic, blue cars arent allowed stop in the yellow box

red car is allowed stop in the box, but only if it doesnt impede traffic flow (traffic moving in opposite direction to the queue of 4 blue cars)

That's how I understood the law to be and it makes the most sense, but yeah, it just looks like all graphics, both on the news website, the gov.uk website and the Irish ROTR website don't explain it very well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Ahem. Not quite a dashcam vid, but is relevant I think..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

That's how I understood the law to be and it makes the most sense, but yeah, it just looks like all graphics, both on the news website, the gov.uk website and the Irish ROTR website don't explain it very well :rolleyes:

geez, that p126 of the ROTR book, with the DONT beside it is very confusing.. I reckon the 'DONT' is about the red car, as its blocking cars coming from the left side of the pic (not pictured :rolleyes:).

If it was a t-junction though, I think that would be ok (?) - but Im doubting myself now hah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I was taught (and actually asked at my test!) that you can only enter a yellow box when you can clear it, or if you are turning right and the only thing stopping you proceeding is on coming traffic.

I think the confusion is because whoever puts down the yellow boxes uses them as described - to allow vehicles out of side roads, which only works if people on the main road follow the rules, and those joining ignore them.

Where there is a junction as per the image which includes pedestrian crossings, and "red" cars ignoring the yellow box rule - there's quite often confusion/ near misses in my experience. Cars are trapped in the junction, often without visibility of the lights, whilst the pedestrians have a green man...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Let me know who you get to wet vac the seat for you tomorrow Cormie :eek:

In the circumstances in the graphic the "right turning car can enter the box" rule doesn't apply. That is for traffic turning right at a crossroads or right turn where they would be able to proceed other than for the cars coming the other way and will be able to proceed once that traffic clears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

what a douche bag , is stevie wonder driving that audi ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Cormie: Are you Polish or Irish :D Did the doosie eejit even apologise?

He put up his hand and stared at me a little until I just said "Go" haha.

Yeah, I was raised on the English language but had a heavy Polish influence to the point it's crept into my reflex expressions :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Yeah, I was raised on the English language but had a heavy Polish influence to the point it's crept into my reflex expressions :pac:

I asked cause there was an Irish accent and then the Polish came out :D
    Still, the Audi was a gob****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Hey Cormie
    What cam have you got.
    Regards

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement