Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

The footage in that video is recorded with a mini 0803.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

cormie wrote: »
    The footage in that video is recorded with a mini 0803.

Your footage seems better than mine. Mind if I ask the settings?

TIA!

i have everything set to the highest in terms of quality (even though techmoan suggests there's no difference between the highest resolution and second highest, other than the space they take) and default when it comes to lighting, contrast etc I think. Mine is by Eprance, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

E-prance here too mine had more settings than Technomoan though including HDR 1080p and 45FPS 1080p. TBH I think I'll just set it to 1080p S.fine - I just notice numberplates are hard to read in motion.

Thanks for letting me know :)

How to merge, Russian style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

A video was suggested after and I'm not sure if its been posted before but its some police chase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

In Belarus I believe that was ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Mc Love wrote: »
    A video was suggested after and I'm not sure if its been posted before but its some police chase

Trucker gone wild.]
    How he didn't jackknife is amazing :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Taylor365 wrote: »
    How he didn't jackknife is amazing :eek:

Not really, jack knifing is normally caused by the unit stopping (or trying to stop) before the trailer, and the trailer pushing the unit around, as he kept the unit moving it pulled the trailer back into line. As long as the unit had enough grip you could do that all day, from what I believe.

See, although, I'd say that tanker is empty.

What do you guys use to edit, I've a couple I want to share. Windows movie maker seems to open the clip then just gives me a blank screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Caught on the way home this evening. Excuse my exclamations for what is a fairly minor bump. It appears to me that the guy behind accelerated and turned to the right at the moment of impact. What do you guys think? Action from 0:17 seconds in.

Tazium wrote: »
    Caught on the way home this evening. Excuse my exclamations for what is a fairly minor bump. It appears to me that the guy behind accelerated and turned to the right at the moment of impact. What do you guys think? Action from 0:17 seconds in.

Report the twat in the Audi for a start, he knew what he was at by the look of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

I'd say the guy behind tried to stop the other guy from changing lanes and it went pear shaped.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Report the twat in the Audi for a start, he knew what he was at by the look of it.

Definately did you see him turn in so he only hit the back? That was someone wanting some work done to the bumper.

• Advertisement

Lets see if this works!

Firstly nothing too bad just gave me an excuse to use my catchphrase and lament the lack of indication. (SOME SWEARS :P)

I was laughing to myself with this one and it took me a sec to realise the van had stopped. I loved the reaction to running the light. Brake hard then cross oneself to thank the baby Jesus! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

What do you guys use to edit, I've a couple I want to share. Windows movie maker seems to open the clip then just gives me a blank screen.

VLC Media player, free to download. Some nice features, you can record just part of your vid and it saves automatically to 'my videos' on your lap-T.

Definately did you see him turn in so he only hit the back? That was someone wanting some work done to the bumper.

What a pain, I've been chatting to the person who was hit. The other car driver needed to call an ambulance for his pregnant wife. I think it's clear where this is going. I've passed the uncompressed footage.

Let's be careful out there.

What a pain, I've been chatting to the person who was hit. The other car driver needed to call an ambulance for his pregnant wife. I think it's clear where this is going. I've passed the uncompressed footage.

Good man! I'm cognisant of Hullabaloo's recent post so I'll not say anymore.

I've been chatting to the person who was hit.

Dash cam saves his ass! Nice one Tamzium!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Crash for cash

I don't understand it though, the Auris was rear-ended by the Audi. How is the Audi driver going to claim from that?
    Some pr1ck though. The Auris should have indicated but you were in the right place at the right time to see that the Audi aimed straight for it and sped up.
    Hope the Guards and insurance company laugh him off the road.

bear1 wrote: »
    I don't understand it though, the Auris was rear-ended by the Audi. How is the Audi driver going to claim from that?
    Some pr1ck though. The Auris should have indicated but you were in the right place at the right time to see that the Audi aimed straight for it and sped up.
    Hope the Guards and insurance company laugh him off the road.

This made me go back and watch iot again and now I think I see what happened.

The Auris indicates and as he stops indicating the Audi speeds up - giving the benefit of the doubt - presumably because he thinks the Auris isn't changing after all.

This made me go back and watch iot again and now I think I see what happened.

The Auris indicates and as he stops indicating the Audi speeds up - giving the benefit of the doubt - presumably because he thinks the Auris isn't changing after all.

That Auris is a Corsa isn't it? Anyway, I've watched and re-watched judging by the timing of impact to brake reaction time, I think the rear driver knew what he was doing and made a poor decision because yours truly caught it all on video. Hopefully he'll be less aggressive in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Does the back driver know you have it on video and what was his reaction to that?

ken wrote: »
    Does the back driver know you have it on video and what was his reaction to that?

Yes, but in his words he didn't need a video to prove what happened :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

That Auris is a Corsa isn't it? Anyway, I've watched and re-watched judging by the timing of impact to brake reaction time, I think the rear driver knew what he was doing and made a poor decision because yours truly caught it all on video. Hopefully he'll be less aggressive in future.

The Audi driver was being a twat.

I had that twice today without getting hit. Both slow traffic situations and driver not keeping up with traffic to my right decides to block progress. Driver accelerates to close gap that was open and then gets upset that a car is in the space. Once at airport and once at red cow exchange.

In the video above the audi driver could easily have avoided that and is looking for a claim.

I wonder if there is more of a back story to this. If maybe there was a confrontation between the two earlier on.
    It reminds me a lot of those Russian videos where we see this sort of thing and although I think his intentions were stupid to say the least I don't think a claim was in the drivers mind considering he hit the Auris.
    Just pure stupidity.

bear1 wrote: »
    I wonder if there is more of a back story to this. If maybe there was a confrontation between the two earlier on.
    It reminds me a lot of those Russian videos where we see this sort of thing and although I think his intentions were stupid to say the least I don't think a claim was in the drivers mind considering he hit the Auris.
    Just pure stupidity.

I didn't see anything else happen before hand. I have footage prior to the clip where I'd been behind the Audi for a while. The other driver turned right coming from the n3 exit just before this junction. As far as I can see it was their first contact. Not a road rage build-up just blind indifference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Chips O'Toole

The Audi is at fault here due to our laws but the other driver is not blameless and is just as much a 'twat'. Since when is putting on an indicator a right of way. I understood you put on your indicator, waited for your way to be clear and then performed the maneuver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Let's hope nobody genuinely needed that ambulance while it was out for this call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

The Audi is at fault here due to our laws but the other driver is not blameless and is just as much a 'twat'. Since when is putting on an indicator a right of way. I understood you put on your indicator, waited for your way to be clear and then performed the maneuver.

Why is that? I would have thought damage to the nearside quarter panel on the other car, and a damaged offside wing on the Audi would prove that that other car made an unsafe lane change.

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Why is that? I would have thought damage to the nearside quarter panel on the other car, and a damaged offside wing on the Audi would prove that that other car made an unsafe lane change.

Or, and this might sound crazy, damage as a result of the Audi driver deliberately hitting the car in front.

Not saying the Auris driver didn't play their part, but if we all went around ramming every gobsh1te who cut us off the countries roads would grind to a halt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Or, and this might sound crazy, damage as a result of the Audi driver deliberately hitting the car in front.

Not saying the Auris driver didn't play their part, but if we all went around ramming every gobsh1te who cut us off the countries roads would grind to a halt.

Agreed, normal drivers avoid accidents. This one looked like it could be avoided, but the audi driver decided not to.

Poor driving - both of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I'm specifically referring to which Irish laws say the Audi is at fault?, you may be of the opinion that the Audi driver "rammed" the other car, but that's just an opinion, you can't claim to know the state of mind of the driver, or what he saw.
    If a car is changing lanes, the onus is on the driver changing lanes to ensure it is safe to do so. Indicating and sticking your nose in doesn't give you any right, I would guess that the Audi driver succeeds in this claim.

Edit: BTW, I agree, I think the audi driver was pissed off at being cut off, and drove into the Auris intentionally. But the evidence is more supportive of the Audi driver from a legal point of view IMO. And I don't have any sympathy for the Auris driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

christy c wrote: »
    I'd say the guy behind tried to stop the other guy from changing lanes and it went pear shaped.

Jaysus, I just looked at that video again, and 100%. The Audi was gonna stop when the other came across, but seemed to get annoyed!? and then basically attacked/rammed the other car :eek:

Wait a minute, I just looked at it again, did the Audi use the hand-brake(hard)just as the other car pulls across?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

Audi driver seemed to stall a bit before accelerating into the other car.

I wonder did he fluff a gearchange, and floor it to prevent stalling ??

Not a real excuse tho'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Virtualdub, for .avi or .mpeg clips. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Somebody getting themselves on the naughty list this morning :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

whizbang wrote: »

Not a real excuse tho'

I don't think so, there's a visible direction change to the right at the time that they sped up.

Delighted that dashcams are becoming sufficiently common that 3rd party evidence is available for incidents such as these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

whizbang wrote: »

Not a real excuse tho'

I don't know what to think.

It's easy to say from the video that the Audi should have seen the other but then I put myself in the driving seat and I think that the Auris could be close enough that the Audi may not have seen the indicators.

The acceleration, I'm not so sure it was a '**** this fella, he's not getting in' but more of a situation where the car bogged down and they were accelerating.

I think it's easy judge when you've a good vantage point of the collision and also remember that in the video the Audi brakes quite hard the moment before impact so that leads me to believe it actually was just an accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Jawgap wrote: »

You can see into the future :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

It would be very interesting to hear the Audi drivers version of events.
    As someone already said, using indicators are not a right to manoeuvre, if the Auris driver was using his mirrors he should have seen the Audi on his left. What was the Auris driver thinking trying to squeeze in between two cars like that anyway.
    Who is to say that just as the Auris turns in that the Audi driver is checking his inside mirror for cyclists or motor bikes coming up on his left.
    IMO Auris driver at fault for causing a collision by changing lanes into the path of the Audi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Wonder did the Audi driver hit brake and accelerator at same time - panic reaction, saw something eerily similar while trying to teach someone to drive.

Edit - maybe not, sure looked like they gunned it.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Jawgap wrote: »

Bus lane? Did the Gardai catch the two cars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

RainyDay wrote: »
    Bus lane? Did the Gardai catch the two cars?

First one was a taxi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

christy c wrote: »
    First one was a taxi

It was a bus lane, but they only pulled one car. There was a taxi, but also a Nordie car who, unfortunately, didn't get pulled.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Audi definitely accelerates and turns right for the impact. Could be a compo attempt, leather jacket wearing.... ;)
    Also should be done for defective lights, left brake light doesn't work :D

Hope that lady is ok.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I was just about to post about that numpty after watching the video. The cyclist can clearly see the car is reversing back towards them and what do the do - instead of stopping no further forward then the camera car where they can't be hit they decide to go into the space between the 2 cars -- between a moving object that weighs a ton and another stationary object that weighs a ton. If the clutch cable had snapped or the driver of the corolla panicked and hit the accelerator the cyclist would have been crushed between two cars.

You could also argue that the car reversing CAUSED the cyclist to have to do what they did because the reversing car hugged the kerb ensuring the cyclist had no chance of getting by and continuing their journey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

yop wrote: »
    Audi definitely accelerates and turns right for the impact. Could be a compo attempt, leather jacket wearing.... ;)
    Also should be done for defective lights, left brake light doesn't work :D

Hope that lady is ok.

That's one for the "Insurance Confidential" hotline. You have the reg number and the video.

Looks to me like he accelerated and turned into the Micra............I'm sure the Garda's would consider that dangerous driving...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement