Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

Gits_bone wrote: »
    He was obviously in the wrong but I found in Dublin City Centre that it's hard to know if you're supposed to go or not.

So I'm going up a one way street, traffic lights ahead and the lights are green. I know from driving this road before there's a seperate green light for going left. So I stop, car starts beeping from behind.

Lights go red. Eventually, the light goes green.

How do I know if I'm allowed to go left as the left arrow isn't lit up, but just the green light to go straight is. (plain green, no arrow).

I'm not sure why they can't have a red arrow for going left as well.

A green light with the separate filter light off means you can proceed as long as the junction is clear - if there's traffic or you're not sure if you can make it on time, stay where you are and ignore inpatient drivers behind you.
    Filter light(arrow) on(green) means oncoming traffic has red lights therefore you're safe to proceed.

The road position of the guy in the video sucked as well, he wasn't waiting in the white box and as a result he had limited visibility and his manouvre took longer to complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

He was obviously in the wrong but I found in Dublin City Centre that it's hard to know if you're supposed to go or not.

So I'm going up a one way street, traffic lights ahead and the lights are green. I know from driving this road before there's a seperate green light for going left. So I stop, car starts beeping from behind.

Lights go red. Eventually, the light goes green.

How do I know if I'm allowed to go left as the left arrow isn't lit up, but just the green light to go straight is. (plain green, no arrow).

I'm not sure why they can't have a red arrow for going left as well.

Plain green light with no arrow means that traffic can proceed in all directions that are permitted, if safe to do so.

What can be confusing is when you have a green light in one traffic light column and a red light in the adjacent column where the red light does not really tell you which direction the red light is for. Usually you can figure it out by the placement of the traffic light column plus other road markings. in recent times, traffic lights of this type have appeared that have a red filter arrow which clears things up a lot. One example of this is when approaching the Baldoyle Road junction on Dublin Road, travelling from the Sutton direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Apologies folks if the question has already been asked/answered,

What type of dash cam's do you have? Where did you get them?

I want a decent quality one, (HD) that also records sound, where will I find one in or around Dublin? and how much will it set me back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

RootX wrote: »

Close call earlier today, your man had the nerve to point at the traffic lights...

You need to report that. There are no L plates but that has to be a learner driver or someone that doesn't know how a green light right turn works. If he's doing that on a regular basis he and/or someone else is going to get hurt; absolute moron.

Well done for managing to stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

highdef wrote: »
    Plain green light with no arrow means that traffic can proceed in all directions that are permitted, if safe to do so.

What can be confusing is when you have a green light in one traffic light column and a red light in the adjacent column where the red light does not really tell you which direction the red light is for. Usually you can figure it out by the placement of the traffic light column plus other road markings. in recent times, traffic lights of this type have appeared that have a red filter arrow which clears things up a lot. One example of this is when approaching the Baldoyle Road junction on Dublin Road, travelling from the Sutton direction.

I thought this was the case, but one time I proceeded to turn left when the main green light was green and I could see the pedestrian crossing was still green on the road I was going to pass through..

I thought this was the case, but one time I proceeded to turn left when the main green light was green and I could see the pedestrian crossing was still green on the road I was going to pass through..

Can you google street view where you're talking about please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DAF XF

Hi lad had cash for crash attempt on m50 . Maybe some one can link video because i can't i too new to boards just google cash for crash m50 and it should come up thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Apologies folks if the question has already been asked/answered,

What type of dash cam's do you have? Where did you get them?

[...]

Take a look here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056815237

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

RootX, what sort of tyres do you have there? Very impressive stopping distance given the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

DAF XF - is this the one your talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

Caliden wrote: »
    RootX, what sort of tyres do you have there? Very impressive stopping distance given the weather.

Michelin PS3 mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DAF XF

the one your talking about?[/QUOTE]

That it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Just following on from Hullabaloo's post that is now a few pages back, video above has all the requirements of a defamation claim. If the person concerned is the sort of person to do the sort of thing alleged, I'd recommend changing the title ASAP. I'm not opening a debate here just mentioning it - there is a thread open in LD if any one wants a discussion.

Just my 2 cents.

Can you google street view where you're talking about please?

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3458669,-6.2762084,3a,75y,86.45h,89.57t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1swQqPf_7iQxsR1KqzQYeYcw!2e0

This is it, hope that URL works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

That junction has straight ahead arrows and left+right turning arrows. The sequence always has straight ahead come on first with no left/right turn to allow the pedestrian crossing.

You broke the red light. From your posts I would be leaning towards you needing additional training on basic rules and observation.

Typical Irish driver, has no idea on the correct rules but is still confident enough to post opinions on others behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

DAF XF - is this the one your talking about?

it gone

Vic_08 wrote: »
    That junction has straight ahead arrows and left+right turning arrows. The sequence always has straight ahead come on first with no left/right turn to allow the pedestrian crossing.

You broke the red light. From your posts I would be leaning towards you needing additional training on basic rules and observation.

Typical Irish driver, has no idea on the correct rules but is still confident enough to post opinions on others behaviour.

I'm pretty sure it has a straight arrow and then just a regular green light once the pedestrian lights go red.

Vic_08 wrote: »

HA. The one going on about observation can't see that I didn't break a red light.

• Advertisement

Caliden wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it has a straight arrow and then just a regular green light once the pedestrian lights go red.

No there's no straight ahead arrow, just a green light. There's a left arrow.

Right I'm afraid I know that junction very, very well so I can tell you that you were in the wrong. That said it's confuses a lot of people.

There is a green light and a straight ahead filter on the left. Traffic can proceed straight when the filter is on but only turn left on the full green. The pedestrian crossing you may have seen on a green man is the one closer to the Four Courts side which is independent of the one linked to the filter.

Someone gets confused at that junction every 3 - 4 light changes so don't beat yourself up about it.

No there's no straight ahead arrow, just a green light. There's a left arrow.

I pass it everyday so I'll check but I'm 99% sure it's a straight ahead arrow, that or its a straight and left arrow and no full green.

I pass it everyday so I'll check but I'm 99% sure it's a straight ahead arrow.

Possibly, I rarely go through there but if you arrive to the lights and the light is green you would assume you can go left. That's why there should be an arrow to the left that goes red.

Possibly, I rarely go through there but if you arrive to the lights and the light is green you would assume you can go left. That's why there should be an arrow to the left that goes red.

Meh, don't really agree with you there tbh but then I see traffic lights confusing people all the time in Dublin. The amount of times people have turned left off Bridgefoot street to stop at the red on Thomas street not realising its the 'second red' for the facing junction.

The important thing is you go round the corner expecting the unexpected. The amount of people that see the green (it's actually a straight arrow but people just see green) and barrell off round the corner into a packed pedestrian crossing there is unreal. I nearly came to fisty cuffs with a guy there once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Green or no light means go. Red means stop. No point stopping turning left if no red light. Bad lighting design and engineering. Theres a few places like this around.

gutteruu wrote: »
    Green or no light means go. Red means stop. No point stopping turning left if no red light. Bad lighting design and engineering. Theres a few places like this around.

Stick to that logic in Dublin and you'll be in court the following day for vehicular manslaughter.

What?

There will always be a full green or a filter telling you which way to go. Please show me any traffic light in Ireland that doesn't conform to that.

What?

There will always be a full green or a filter telling you which way to go. Please show me any traffic light in Ireland that doesn't conform to that.

The one you are talking about. It has a nothing to tell you to stop turning left.

Green means go. Red means stop. No light means go. If your not suppose to turn left there should be a red light. Its bad design thats tolerated.

The one you are talking about. It has a nothing to tell you to stop turning left.

Green means go. Red means stop. No light means go. If your not suppose to turn left there should be a red light. Its bad design thats tolerated.

What are you on about? At least the OP (for this segment) has asked for guidance you just seem dangerous.

A forward arrow means proceed forward only - what is difficult to understand about that? Other than very poor observation being common place.

• Advertisement

What are you on about? At least the OP (for this segment) has asked for guidance you just seem dangerous.

A forward arrow means proceed forward only - what is difficult to understand about that? Other than very poor observation being common place.

Regarding the junction you personally had trouble and incidents at? Red stop, green go. There is no red so why would you stop?

You know theres a pedestrian crossing there as you live there. Your not suppose to have to pre-know a junction to navigate through it. If your not suppose to go left, there should be a seperate red light. As I said. Red = stop. Bad design which is why as you said there are problems there all the time. We know to stop as we know the junction.

Regarding the junction you personally had trouble and incidents at? Red stop, green go. There is no red so why would you stop?

You know theres a pedestrian crossing there as you live there. Your not suppose to have to pre-know a junction to navigate through it. If your not suppose to go left, there should be a seperate red light. As I said. Red = stop. Bad design.

I don't know if you're just having a little giggle or actually think this.

This is not how filters work, most filters don't have banks of side by side lights. You simply follow the direction of the arrow. The people missing that at that junction aren't so thick as to not know how a filter works (well the majority one would hope) they just don't observe it's an arrow.

If you put red lights there and a filter it would confuse the hell out of people and people would only see the red.

Sorry but No light means go is simply bonkers. If there's no light something has gone very wrong and I'd be proceeding with caution. What's more likely is due to inexperience you have just misread the junction.

I don't know if you're just having a little giggle or actually think this.

This is not how filters work, most filters don't have banks of side by side lights. You simply follow the direction of the arrow. The people missing that at that junction aren't so thick as to not know how a filter works (well the majority one would hope) they just don't observe it's an arrow.

If you put red lights there and a filter it would confuse the hell out of people and people would only see the red.

Sorry but No light means go is simply bonkers. If there's no light something has gone very wrong and I'd be proceeding with caution. What's more likely is due to inexperience you have just misread the junction.

It is very bad design though.

At the very minimum it should be a green arrow to the left, not one straight ahead as the majority of cars are going straight anyways.

It is very bad design though.

At the very minimum it should be a green arrow to the left, not one straight ahead as the majority of cars are going straight anyways.

I think the two of you are a double act now :D

How could there be an arrow to the left? The left portion of the junction is the one controlled by a pedestrian crossing. That junction never has a situation that it's safe to turn left but NOT go straight on so you'd never see a left arrow even if it was there.

Honestly I've been walking past that junction for years before I could drive and even I knew that. You two need to have a wee refresher! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Oh blah di, oh blah da life goes on oooaaaa oohhhhhhhhh life goes on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

unfortunately the google streetview has the lights red, so cant see the issue- can someone post the sequence of lights?

Wossack wrote: »
    unfortunately the google streetview has the lights red, so cant see the issue- can someone post the sequence of lights?

Red - > Straight on filter arrow -> Full green (on which you can turn left) - > Amber - > Red.

I think the two of you are a double act now :D

How could there be an arrow to the left? The left portion of the junction is the one controlled by a pedestrian crossing. That junction never has a situation that it's safe to turn left but NOT go straight on so you'd never see a left arrow even if it was there.

Honestly I've been walking past that junction for years before I could drive and even I knew that. You two need to have a wee refresher! :pac:

Imagine for a second, its your first time at the junction. Your a few hundred yards back and all you see are green lights. You proceed and try to turn left but NO!! You were suppose to know there is an invisible green light that hasn't been turned on yet to show you to go left. Your basing your point on the fact YOU know theres a pedestrian crossing there and you know theres a darkened light that hasn't gone green yet. Nobody else does! If you want a car to stop you put a red light there. Been working that way since traffic lights were invented. Red = stop. Do you randomly stop at junctions in case theres a filter light you haven't seen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

Red - > Straight on filter arrow -> Full green (on which you can turn left) - > Amber - > Red.

presume the filter for straight on comes on with the red light still showing?

• Advertisement

Imagine for a second, its your first time at the junction. Your a few hundred yards back and all you see are green lights. You proceed and try to turn left but NO!! You were suppose to know there is an invisible green light that hasn't been turned on yet to show you to go left. Your basing your point on the fact YOU know theres a pedestrian crossing there and you know theres a darkened light that hasn't gone green yet. Nobody else does!

No I'm basing it on the fact that I know a straight green arrow means straight on only. You're basing your rebuttal on poor observation which was my point in the first place.

Wossack wrote: »
    presume the filter for straight on comes on with the red light still showing?

I'd need to check that in all honesty. It still doesn't change the way filters work though. We're just more used to them being for a turn rather than straight on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Carraig Fhearghais

if this is the junction (screengrab from the google streetview), is that not a red light (highlighted) with a straight ahead 'filter' green both lit at the same time? (I would take that as you may go straight, if safe to do so, but not either left or right)
    dublinlights_zps52276212.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Is there any chance a separate thread could be opened that deals with the junction debate?

I'm actually not 100% sure that the left hand lane does that, but I've not paid that much attention in all honesty. I'm tempted to go down and have a look! :pac:
    bear1 wrote: »
    Is there any chance a separate thread could be opened that deals with the junction debate?

Quite right sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

if this is the junction (screengrab from the google streetview), is that not a red light (highlighted) with a straight ahead 'filter' green both lit at the same time? (I would take that as you may go straight, if safe to do so, but not either left or right)
    dublinlights_zps52276212.jpg

Looks clear as day as to how to proceed so. If the light is in this state, then the OP is right to not move when wishing to turn left despite anyone beeping from behind. However it also raises a lack of observation from the OP as he/she stated that there was a standard green light when in fact this is blatantly not the case, unless something has changed of late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I know that junction well, the reason for that configuration is to facilitate the pedestrian crossing on the left and to regulate the traffic crossing the bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

highdef wrote: »
    Looks clear as day as to how to proceed so. If the light is in this state, then the OP is right to not move when wishing to turn left despite anyone beeping from behind. However it also raises a lack of observation from the OP as he/she stated that there was a standard green light when in fact this is blatantly not the case, unless something has changed of late.

pedestrians crossing to the left makes you think they had a green man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

kingtut wrote: »
    The video is titled "attempt";)

Not sure if that's what it was or a dumb driver. Can't see a reason to brake there second time, unless there was something else going on prior to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

kingtut wrote: »

It's not even a crash for cash. The MPV driver was trying to merge onto the motorway and took offense to the truck not letting them on. Obviously pulled in front of them and brake tested them to show their annoyance.

And from the RSA's motorway driving booklet, this driver didn't know:
    Give way to traffic already on the motorway

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement