Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

corktina wrote: »
    pedestrians crossing to the left makes you think they had a green man.
    Plus if you look closely in streetview, you can see that the pedestrian light is amber.
    I think anyone with any sort of road sense should be able to see what the story is in this situation......Green arrow with red light....hmmmm, can I turn??? Have a look at the road you intend to turn into and observe. You will most likely see people crossing the road and chances are you will be able to see any traffic signals for pedestrians in which case, have a look to see what colour they are.

This is all very simple stuff that really should not have to be explained and it does worry me how bad the very basic observational skills are of some drivers out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

RosieJoe wrote: »
    It's not even a crash for cash. The MPV driver was trying to merge onto the motorway and took offense to the truck not letting them on. Obviously pulled in front of them and brake tested them to show their annoyance.

And from the RSA's motorway driving booklet, this driver didn't know:

Now I see it - if it is the same car approaching at the start of the video then he is a moron.

He could easily merge after the truck passed him (don't know if there was anything else directly behind the truck), and the truck did not have to slow down to 40 km/h to accomodate him. Especially that the merging lane was long enough to merge behind the truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

RosieJoe wrote: »

And from the RSA's motorway driving booklet, this driver didn't know:

More importantly, you should match the motorway traffic speed and merge in a suitable gap, not dawdle along in the hope that someone will let you in....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

corktina wrote: »
    More importantly, you should match the motorway traffic speed and merge in a suitable gap, not dawdle along in the hope that someone will let you in....

Agreed, his speed was way too low.

It's that kind of mentality and behaviour that causes traffic on the m50. A part of me wishes the truck couldn't slow fast enough and hit him. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Ye it doesn't look like a crash for cash to me, if it was it was a crap attempt! Breaking was very weird I must admit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

if this is the junction (screengrab from the google streetview), is that not a red light (highlighted) with a straight ahead 'filter' green both lit at the same time? (I would take that as you may go straight, if safe to do so, but not either left or right)
    dublinlights_zps52276212.jpg

EDIT: That's the junction.

But that light is way over to the right. I do be pulled up to go left and buses to the right of me so I can't see.

And it brings me back to my point, the arrow should be pointing left as that's where the least traffic goes...then when all traffic can proceed, have both the left arrow and main green on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

I was thinking it was because the truck driver put on his full beams as they cut in, so they slammed on their brakes to remind them to turn off said full beams , because its the safest and most logical way to inform somebody to turn them off.

coolisin wrote: »
    I was thinking it was because the truck driver put on his full beams as they cut in, so they slammed on their brakes to remind them to turn off said full beams , because its the safest and most logical way to inform somebody to turn them off.

That mpv shouldn't cut in.
    I doubt that driver cared much about the safest and most logical ways of driving tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

wonski wrote: »
    That mpv shouldn't cut in.
    I doubt that driver cared much about the safest and most logical ways of driving tbh.

tongue was firmly in cheek

Is there a way to post the video or you just type in the link from google?

• Advertisement

coolisin wrote: »
    tongue was firmly in cheek

Sorry, after 4 hours driving in heavy traffic today I have no sense of humour at all. Christmas spirit and all that c**p...

kingtut wrote: »
    Is there a way to post the video or you just type in the link from google?

Look at a silver car merging at the start of the video;)

ahhhhh! same car :D right? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Actually thats fairly common. They were merging, expecting to be left out by you and you 'cut them up' in their mind. So they probably just wanted to act the fool and brake test you. Seen it many a time. People cannot and never will be able to merge correctly in this country. Theres just an expectancy to hurtle down the ramp at whatever speed you want and expect everyone on the motorway to just let you out. Madness!

ironclaw wrote: »
    Actually thats fairly common. They were merging, expecting to be left out by you and you 'cut them up' in their mind. So they probably just wanted to act the fool and brake test you. Seen it many a time. People cannot and never will be able to merge correctly in this country. Theres just an expectancy to hurtle down the ramp at whatever speed you want and expect everyone on the motorway to just let you out. Madness!

When I see a car in front of me going down a ramp I slow down to 20, wait for them to dissappear and then floor it.

It is the only way. Many times I was in trouble because of the cars in front were slowing down or not accelerating at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Gits_bone wrote: »
    EDIT: That's the junction.

But that light is way over to the right. I do be pulled up to go left and buses to the right of me so I can't see.

And it brings me back to my point, the arrow should be pointing left as that's where the least traffic goes...then when all traffic can proceed, have both the left arrow and main green on.

Yes, that particular traffic signal is way over to the right however it is not the only one. If you "do be pulled up to go left", then you have a signal there as well....plus another on the right hand side of the road.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3458468,-6.2760462,3a,75y,91.44h,74.12t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sePk3hywEENFC1eNle_gGrQ!2e0

Again, this is a further display of a lack of observation as you now seem to think that when you are in the left turning lane, there is no traffic signal viewable when positioned in the left lane.

As for where you say "the arrow should be pointing left as that's where the least traffic goes", why would you need an (I presume green) arrow? The current setup is just fine.....solid green light means you can proceed in all permitted directions. Green arrow pointing forward with an accompanying red lights obviously mean you may only travel straight ahead.
    And you answered your own question earlier on when you said that the pedestrian lights on the road to the left were green. If they are green, then you should fairly easily figure out that the straight ahead green arrow with accompanying red light means that you can't turn left. It's not rocket science. In fact, it's simple common sense!

It's not a part of the driving test, what did you expect?

It is in the theory tests somewhere but most learners don't care as soon as they pass it i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Morons. I get it all the time also.

When driving a large vehicle it takes a fair bit of effort and fuel to slow and get back up to speed again.
    While a car can get up to 90 kph in no time. Yet when merging they hang off and get pissed off when they cant get out in front of you.

Like the idiot on that film.

highdef wrote: »
    Yes, that particular traffic signal is way over to the right however it is not the only one. If you "do be pulled up to go left", then you have a signal there as well....plus another on the right hand side of the road.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3458468,-6.2760462,3a,75y,91.44h,74.12t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sePk3hywEENFC1eNle_gGrQ!2e0

Again, this is a further display of a lack of observation as you now seem to think that when you are in the left turning lane, there is no traffic signal viewable when positioned in the left lane.

As for where you say "the arrow should be pointing left as that's where the least traffic goes", why would you need an (I presume green) arrow? The current setup is just fine.....solid green light means you can proceed in all permitted directions. Green arrow pointing forward with an accompanying red lights obviously mean you may only travel straight ahead.
    And you answered your own question earlier on when you said that the pedestrian lights on the road to the left were green. If they are green, then you should fairly easily figure out that the straight ahead green arrow with accompanying red light means that you can't turn left. It's not rocket science. In fact, it's simple common sense!

:rolleyes:

An example of lights done right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I kept a bit of distance as I taught he might jam on. It was almost like he wanted someone to hit him :confused:.

th_221214_transit.mp4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Drunk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

bear1 wrote: »
    Drunk?

That's what I was thinking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

:rolleyes:

An example of lights done right.

What's the problem with it? The pedestrian lights are on to the left and right, and straight ahead they are not. Doing it your way they'd need a left arrow, right arrow and straight ahead arrow, but the way it's done only needs one arrow and a solid green for when the pedestrian lights go red. It's pretty simple and if you don't understand it maybe you shouldn't be driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I know that junction well, the reason for that configuration is to facilitate the pedestrian crossing on the left and to regulate the traffic crossing the bridge.

I work across the bridge :pac: I'm there every Friday evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Drunk?

Or breakdown maybe. Looks like they were pulling over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 daf x f

So they probably just wanted to act the fool and brake test you.!

Rubbish it one thing do it to car but to do it on loaded 44 ton artic is a different story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 daf x f

So they probably just wanted to act the fool and brake test you.!

Rubbish it one thing to do it to car but to do it on loaded 44 ton artic is a different story

Strange, someone signs posts one comment (twice) then closes account! :confused:

fullstop wrote: »
    What's the problem with it? The pedestrian lights are on to the left and right, and straight ahead they are not. Doing it your way they'd need a left arrow, right arrow and straight ahead arrow, but the way it's done only needs one arrow and a solid green for when the pedestrian lights go red. It's pretty simple and if you don't understand it maybe you shouldn't be driving.

There's no right turn at that junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Since when?
    If you look at google earth you can see that there is a short right turn only lane from the quay onto the bridge.

• Advertisement

Is there not, no? So what's the right arrow for in the link you posted below :rolleyes:

Anyways, that junction is done poorly, like the man above said every 3 or 4 stops there's people arguing. Proves my point.

There is nothing wrong with the junction, I pass through it regularly, never see a problem other than bad driving.

Strange, someone signs posts one comment (twice) then closes account! :confused:

Is it the Zafira driver I wonder?
    Regardless, his A1 contribution to the thread has been memorable :( RIP OP.... RIP

K.Flyer wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with the junction, I pass through it regularly, never see a problem other than bad driving.

Yeah..you drive through it regularly so you know it like the back of your hand.

Yeah..you drive through it regularly so you know it like the back of your hand.

No, he's able to read the arrows on the road and traffic signals. You've been proven wrong and you keep digging and saying the fact that there's arguing proves that the junction is done badly. Nobody else has a problem with the junction, just you. You're the one arguing. Maybe get someone else to drive you around until you're comfortable reading traffic signals.

fullstop wrote: »
    No, he's able to read the arrows on the road and traffic signals. You've been proven wrong and you keep digging and saying the fact that there's arguing proves that the junction is done badly. Nobody else has a problem with the junction, just you. You're the one arguing. Maybe get someone else to drive you around until you're comfortable reading traffic signals.

As I said, someone earlier who goes through it says every 3 or 4 stops there's people blowing horns and arguing. Proves my point. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Can we stop talking about this fecking junction!

As I said, someone earlier who goes through it says every 3 or 4 stops there's people blowing horns and arguing. Proves my point. :rolleyes:

All it proves is that people cannot read road signs, are impatient and cannot keep junctions clear. Which is what causes arguements and horn blowing.
    And yes I do know the junction very well as I could easily pass through it several times a week, sometimes several times a day. And have done for decades in its various different layouts.
    /discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

'Tis a time of giving so I bring gifts a'plenty :)

At 34 seconds in you see the Mini start to make its turn, despite being completely blind of oncoming traffic (ie: ME) due to the traffic in front of it.

Starts at 18 seconds, Audi driver clearly has to be somewhere important so duly overtakes 2 cars in a village, the latter just before entering a crossroad.

At 26 seconds, an obstacle I'm sure many of my fellow country drivers will recognise, sure what harm can a stray farm animal do to a vehicle anyway?

At 14 seconds watch the car aim down the wrong way of the roundabout, continue on in the presence of oncoming cars alerting them to their folly, driving down the wrong way on a road divided by a kerb, and subsequent mounting of the kerb to get back across, damaging the front right in the process

And finally at 13 seconds watch the damn near invisible black Merc pull onto the roundabout and ignore my flashes and those of many, many other oncoming cars attempting to highlight their lack of lights, extra bonus points at 3:47 as a Post van nearly pulls out on top of it, at 4:40 when the Merc temporarily disguises itself as a wall, 5:38 when it cuts across me into my lane while I'm trying to use it and finally at 5:51 when a car pulls out from a side street becasue they can't see the Merc coming causing it to slam on.

I've deleted the sound as I tend to curse....ALOT :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

Killinator wrote: »
    '

And finally at 13 seconds watch the damn near invisible black Merc pull onto the roundabout and ignore my flashes and those of many, many other oncoming cars attempting to highlight their lack of lights, extra bonus points at 3:47 as a Post van nearly pulls out on top of it, at 4:40 when the Merc temporarily disguises itself as a wall, 5:38 when it cuts across me into my lane while I'm trying to use it and finally at 5:51 when a car pulls out from a side street becasue they can't see the Merc coming causing it to slam on.

what a fcukin idiot,
    should be shot for that.

I cant believe after a minimum of 20 flashes the idiot didnt realise they had no lights on.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Tbh, at the end of the video when the guy stops at the traffic lights I'd have pulled up along side him and told him to turn his fecking lights off.
    I see this a lot here in Warsaw, they have a law that lights must always be on 24 hours a day.
    One day I was coming home and there was this women completely oblivious to the fact she had no lights on and she wasn't driving slowly either.
    Pulled up along side her and gave her a few beeps of the horn, looked at me with what seemed like hatred and mouthed something and continued on.
    There are a few pedestrian crossings on this road so I tried in vain to get her to turn them on before she killed someone.
    Got along side her a few more times but still wouldn't turn them on. Came to a set of lights and I got ready to get out of the car and let her know. What did she do? Gave me the finger and turned off somewhere else.
    Gave up at that point.
    Never a fcuking policeman when you need one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Finally have my dashcam but didn't have it connected lastnight.

Driving back from Waterford on the m9 lastnight and some ****wit was towing a car on the motorway with a bit of rope.

While the front car had hazards the car being towed was totally dark.

Some people have death wishes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

Tbh, at the end of the video when the guy stops at the traffic lights I'd have pulled up along side him and told him to turn his fecking lights off.

Good idea in general but I'd rather err on the side of caution, a few bad folks would drive black Mercs in Limerick and my car is pretty conspicuous should they try to find it or me later on to teach me a lesson.

Not saying this wasn't just some dozy driver, but again, I'd rather not take the chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I'd have pulled up along side him and told him to turn his fecking lights off.

Turn them off???

Jesus. wrote: »
    Turn them off???
    Reverse psychology, or (well deserved) sarcasm! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Jesus. wrote: »
    Turn them off???

tumblr_mskrbrYBk81r33r0fo1_400.gif

:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement