Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭housetypeb

As a recent convert to dash cam (and uploading videos to youtube as well) I can already see the benefits.
    Moron brakes and cuts into my lane at around 1.07 without any indicators as he owns the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Can't get over the quality of that Frank, truly amazing, might upgrade myself at some stage!

Sweet lizard, that looks amazing indeed!

What model is it Frank? I'm too lazy to go through this thread.
    franksm wrote: »
    It's worth it the extra €€

That vid ^ doesn't do the Blackvue justice, the original vid is pin-sharp. I just can get Youtube to upload and display it properly, even with the 1080p settings enable

Can you try Vimeo? They have a much better compression, or you could just host the original video on sendspace.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

That's a Blackvue DR400G
    Amazingly discrete wee device. And uses the same power connector as the Roadhawk it replaced, so was plug & play !
    CyberGhost wrote: »
    Sweet lizard, that looks amazing indeed!

What model is it Frank? I'm too lazy to go through this thread.

Can you try Vimeo? They have a much better compression, or you could just host the original video on sendspace.com

That's a Blackvue DR400G
    Amazingly discrete wee device

I have the same model.
    Because I though the grey color stood out behind the black back of the rear view mirror I put black masking tape over the front of the Blackvue(not the lens,of course)to make it even less noticeable .

That's a Blackvue DR400G
    Amazingly discrete wee device. And uses the same power connector as the Roadhawk it replaced, so was plug & play !

Thanks! Very impressive quality.

Here is another video with a different holder from my other sample video from DailyRoads on SGS3.

Still a bit of shake, but I'll live with that. If it seems it's going too fast, I discovered I had frame rate set to low, after recording the footage earlier (set to HQ now). The quality is set to 720p, as I don't have enough memory to support full 1080p as for longish drives (this was nearing the end of a 40 min drive). I lost some quality when I edited it in Movie Maker.

This time the video starts with the usual shíte from Irish roads, someone who doesn't know how to use a roundabout or indicators...

Here is another video with a different holder from my other sample video from DailyRoads on SGS3.

Still a bit of shake, but I'll live with that. If it seems it's going too fast, I discovered I had frame rate set to low, after recording the footage earlier (set to HQ now). The quality is set to 720p, as I don't have enough memory to support full 1080p as for longish drives (this was nearing the end of a 40 min drive). I lost some quality when I edited it in Movie Maker.

This time the video starts with the usual shíte from Irish roads, someone who doesn't know how to use a roundabout or indicators...

That's a lot of shaking there,

Look at Herbert Richter mounts and holders for some high quality stuff that won't rattle. Made in Germany.

Variety of holders, mounts, cradles that are cross compatible so you can make a combo that best fits your requirements.

http://www.holdersandmounts.co.uk/Herbert-Richter-holders-and-windscreen-mounts/index2.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

As a recent convert to dash cam (and uploading videos to youtube as well) I can already see the benefits.
    Moron brakes and cuts into my lane at around 1.07 without any indicators as he owns the road.

you ran a red light at 2:43:mad:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

you are forgiven my son go in peace :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭deandean

Right I am gonna get a dashcam, I'll do a proper job and wire a permanent supply, etc. I've read this thread, the Blackvue DR380G or DR400G seem to be OK, I like the 'parked' mode too.

Would this be a good choice? Any comments? Thanks.

[edit] Also: I see them on sale on eBay from South Korea for about 130stg whereas they are nearly double that from Blackvue UK. Are the Korean units the real deal or are they a knock-off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Korean units are the real deal. iTronics ITB 100HD is apparantly one of the best available. I have it and decided on it between the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the mother of all dashcam video's. :)

this'll keep you busy for a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

CarCrash2012 is now my favourite youtube channel.

• Advertisement

Opinicus wrote: »
    CarCrash2012 is now my favourite youtube channel.
    it's quite literally like car crash tv! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Tazium

vibe666 wrote: »

So, how do you fit a horse into your saloon car?? See 1:02:26 for details! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Cheers for that not only a great watch but it made me get off my ass and put in my dash cam that i've been meaning to do since i changed cars.

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

i wonder if you could get a black version of that sticky 3M tape stuff holding it to the windscreen to make it a little more low profile?

you'd think they'd have thought of that. :)

i do like that it's not a sucker though, i really don't like them and the latest one i have for my new phone is shyte and falls off every time there's temperature change. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

You can get that 3M in black :)

My suction cup has never caused me problems, at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Just Jack

That has decided me. However I would like to have one for both front and back hardwired. I did see one on another site, where a guy had used the existing reversing camera for the back and fitted the front camera inside the grill. I think it was on a ford but have not been able to find it now.Anyone know someone who might do this for me? supply and fit or fit only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Anyone that fits alarms or ICE could do it. There ought to be plenty of wires in the boot area that the camera could be jacked into, so it's just a matter or running the cables neatly really. And ensure a fuse a fitted into the camera supply :-)

I wouldn't recommend the Roadhawk as a rear camera, it's just the wrong shape - hence me wanting to sell mine and fit something that sits closer to the glass. My Roadhawk gives a lovely view of the rear shelf and a mediocre view of what's outside the car. Works brilliantly on the front windscreen of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

who do you think's to blame for the accident at 1.03.48?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭lau1247

Just finish going through the whole thread, man this took a very long time.. between going back and forth with references and watching the youtube videos :p..

I don't seem to recall anyone mentioning Fine Vu CR300-HD (Maybe I'm just tired).. it looks to be decent in car DVR from review except no GPS which is a let down but video looks just as good as the Blackvue as well as other features..

Anyone have the Fine Vu CR300HD that they can share a story or two about???

Shane732 wrote: »
    Just to let you know that I'm looking to see if there is any interest in a group buy of the Black Vue DR400 over on BMW-driver:

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36888

Personally, I think the prices are very good.

If anyone is interest you might PM here or let me know on BMW driver, unfortunately I'm not allowed start a GB thread here.

Shane, I know it was a while ago since you last post the quoted text, have you much luck with the group buy??

I may be interested especially at those prices you mentioned if this is still on-going..

By the way not sure if you or everyone know, they actually have a second version of the Blackvue DR400GHD..

First gen: http://novus-gps.co.uk/BlackVue_DR400G_HD.php
    Second gen (Sorry it is in Korean): http://www.blackvue.com/contents/sub1.asp?idx=17

I wonder what is the group buy type going to be?? First or second gen?? Second gen I believe solves the heating issue (Below)..

The only concern I would have with Blackvue is that there are reports that the camera have potential to overheat thus causing the camera to 'fog' up from parking out in the sun causing it to fog up as well as running it 24/7 as surveillance (granted they are in Singapore where it is really hot weather unlike Ireland however cars interior can get pretty hot in the summer in Ireland too).. it essentially causes permanent damage to the camera.. I read it from this thread I stumbled across..

At one point the manufacturer advised the distributor to tell the customer to run it at 15 FPS instead of 30 FPS..

Anyone with a Blackvue have such issues with their unit??

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

On another forum I read a lot of overheating issues, the forum was based in Singapore so maybe the weather there made it even worse.

Check out the ITB-100HD from iTronics, it's the one I went for after a good bit of research and chose it over blackvue etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭lau1247

cormie wrote: »
    On another forum I read a lot of overheating issues, the forum was based in Singapore so maybe the weather there made it even worse.

Check out the ITB-100HD from iTronics, it's the one I went for after a good bit of research and chose it over blackvue etc.

yep probably the same one, i mention the link above.. here it is again

Fine Vu seems to work out fine over there..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Here's some from around Limerick I took recently.

It's a cheap nasty ebay job. Think I want to get something a bit better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Jarren wrote: »

Bloody hell that was funny, i burnt my toast after putting it back in for extra browning, !!!!!

Well my Black Vue DR400 G HD is ordered from FarFarAwayland.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Might try squish a dam cash into next months budget!

I really want one, stupid tight arse!

• Advertisement

Going to order 2 of the Smartcams next week from here

One front and back. For ~€150 that's pretty good. I know the pic quality is not as good as the Blackvue et al but it'll do me grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

MarkR wrote: »
    Here's some from around Limerick I took recently.

It's a cheap nasty ebay job. Think I want to get something a bit better.

Its pretty good for a cheap nasty ebay job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

are there any dash-cams that are a little less obvious?

For anyone interested, I'm giving a brand new ITB-100HD camera away. Check www.vantasks.ie/blog for more :)

Just entered there. The vid of the G-Wiz is priceless.

My Blackvue DR400G-HD arrived this morning!

It took a couple of hours to upgrade the firmware and persuade it to talk in English.

Also the manuals were 'as gaeilge' but they can be downloaded in English.

I fitted it and took it for a test drive just now. Video works; miceophone works; GPS works!

I'll fit it properly over the next few days.

Then I guess, drive around and look for trouble :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Took delivery of my iTRONICS ITB-100HD vehicle driving recorder yesterday from South Korea- 7 days after order was placed- not bad!
    Anyway, a BIG thank you to Cormie, as he had already done a lot of the legwork as regards researching the myriad of information on the internet about which dashcam is best!
    I got mine for less than €175 from an operation called apple-ct on ebay.They show up as not delivering to Ireland, but if you email them and give it a day or so, you will be able to execute your purchase.
    Child with a new toy signing off for now!!

Glad you got sorted, apple-ct are a pretty good company to deal with. I had a good few questions for them and they got back to me very quickly on each and the service is top notch.

Good luck with getting it set up, which is easy of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

I was thinking of getting one of these ,but then i thought ill just use my phone ,records in hd 12 mega pixels does the job nicely .so no need to shell out cash for a dash cam .:D

• Advertisement

Thing is, you might grow tired of having to connect your phone, turn the app on, plug it in so it doesn't eat the juice etc every time you hop in the car and the one time you don't bother will probably be the one time something will happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Cameras that clip over the mirror are the best option.

This camera is now down to 135 euro including shipping.
    (Used to be about 200)

ebay link

install-step.gif

The only other HD car mirror camera I can find is this one for about 57 euro, inc shipping.
    I don't think the quality is great though.
    Try reading the number plates.

ebay

The best quality camera for the lowest price is still the one TechMoan reviewed back in April, called the Smartcam.
    It's now called the SmartCam 2 and it's gone up a by 20 euro.
    About 80 inc shipping although there's a "Make Offer" option.
    (It used to be about 60 euro inc shipping)

ebay link

Here's Techmoan's review
    In car review starts about 6.00 and night time about 7.18.
    Make sure to click the 720p option.

Cino one of this forum's members bought the orginal Smartcam

The best quality camera for the lowest price is still the one TechMoan reviewed back in April, called the Smartcam.
    It's now called the SmartCam 2 and it's gone up a by 20 euro.
    About 80 inc shipping although there's a "Make Offer" option.
    (It used to be about 60 euro inc shipping)

I got one of these last week. I'll upload some footage later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sambucus

this is the iphone witness app not as good as a dedicated dashcam and vertically mounted.
    displays gps position, speed and g forces so better than nothing

can any tell me how to bleep out expletives?!

Can you not record horizontal?

need a horizontal iphone mount
    anyone know of a good one? one that doesnt obstruct the camera

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

sambucus wrote: »
    this is the iphone witness app not as good as a dedicated dashcam and vertically mounted.

I didn't hear any indicators clicking when you changed lanes and turned a few times. :pac:

you would if the radio was turned down
    like to think Im a good indicatorer. people not indicating is one of my pet hates esp at roundabouts

sambucus wrote: »
    need a horizontal iphone mount
    anyone know of a good one? one that doesnt obstruct the camera

What one do you have now? Can you not just... turn it?

OSI wrote: »

thanks Osi
    have you used it with the camera? it looks like it would partially obtruct the camera veiw
    would get it straight away if not.
    vertical video is awful I know... sorry guys

Tallon wrote: »
    What one do you have now? Can you not just... turn it?

Just a cheap shyte one cant turn or mount it sideways or the phone will fall out around corners

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement