Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi folks, I'm getting rid of 2 malfunctioning DRS1100 cameras here: https://www.facebook.com/VanTasks/app_436227333083314

I think it's just a firmware issue, I spent about 2 hours trying to fix it but no luck. It may be a simply fix but I had no luck. The units were perfect before I tried update the firmware, which is when something happened and they don't work anymore. Maybe they can be rolled back or something but I wasn't able to do it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

cormie wrote: »
    Hi folks, I'm getting rid of 2 malfunctioning DRS1100 cameras here: https://www.facebook.com/VanTasks/app_436227333083314

I think it's just a firmware issue, I spent about 2 hours trying to fix it but no luck. It may be a simply fix but I had no luck. The units were perfect before I tried update the firmware, which is when something happened and they don't work anymore. Maybe they can be rolled back or something but I wasn't able to do it :(

If you fancy sticking one in the post, ill take it (i love a challenge:) )
    Ill pay for the postage of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

delynet wrote: »
    Excuse the quality, when I chopped this section from the camera recording my video editing software seems to have dropped the quaility. Date also wrong

Does not look like it but I had to jump on the brakes when I realised white van man decided to overtake

Is that not a silver van ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

delynet wrote: »
    Excuse the quality, when I chopped this section from the camera recording my video editing software seems to have dropped the quaility. Date also wrong

Does not look like it but I had to jump on the brakes when I realised white van man decided to overtake

Looked like a silver van, you were going a bit fast yourself and over the line afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Tallon wrote: »
    How to use a Roundabout in Ireland!

Jaysus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

How to use a Roundabout in Ireland!

Excellent driving..

It's gotten to the stage, where I don't even bother beeping at these drivers.

The best one yet was, in a Tesco car park following the one way system. A middle aged women going the wrong way decided to start beeping at me, for following the road markings.

Usually I don't rise to these people and move out of there way, but this time I wouldn't move and let her reverse back out the way she came in.

Cheek of her beeping at me for following the road markings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

msg11 wrote: »
    The best one yet was, in a Tesco car park following the one way system. A middle aged women going the wrong way decided to start beeping at me, for following the road markings.

It's amazing how many people completely ignore markings in a shopping car park. "I mean come on lads, it's not like it's a REAL road anyway like..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

msg11 wrote: »
    Excellent driving..

It's gotten to the stage, where I don't even bother beeping at these drivers.

Usually I don't rise to these people and move out of there way, but this time I wouldn't move and let her reverse back out the way she came in.

Cheek of her beeping at me for following the road markings.
    Happens ever. Single. Fecking. Time I go to Liffey Valley

What's worse, the people who park waiting for a space, blocking the road, and every car in.. Idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

There is some justice out there

Would the sound stopping be to remove a few profanities? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

pred racer wrote: »
    If you fancy sticking one in the post, ill take it (i love a challenge:) )
    Ill pay for the postage of course.

Hey, sorry, Tallon took both today, if he gets fed up trying to fix them, maybe he'll send them to you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

TechMoan has a review of a Front and Rear camera.

About 74 Euro (62 Euro + 12 Euro Shipping. Includes 4GB Card)

eBay Link

Quality: HD 1080 X 720
    Memory Card:Up to 32GB
    File Size:5mins = 150mb
    Rear Camera Wire: 8 metres
    Battery Life: 1.5hrs or 2.5hrs - with LCD screen off.

On road recording starts at 8.18

Here's the size of the camera in the car compared with another camera TechMoan used:

zGbwh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

That looks ver big to have on the windscreen. Almost in the way. I am thinking of getting a dash cam but I wouldn't want one thats either too noticeable or in the way. Quality looks good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Jofspring wrote: »
    That looks ver big to have on the windscreen. Almost in the way.

I am thinking of getting a dash cam but I wouldn't want one thats either too noticeable or in the way.

Quality looks good though.

What you want is a camera that clips onto the mirror.
    About 130 euro inc shipping.

eBay link

WmqRP.gif

TechMoan has a review of a Front and Rear camera.

About 74 Euro (62 Euro + 12 Euro Shipping. Includes 4GB Card)

eBay Link

Quality: HD 1080 X 720
    Memory Card:Up to 32GB
    File Size:5mins = 150mb
    Rear Camera Wire: 8 metres
    Battery Life: 1.5hrs or 2.5hrs - with LCD screen off.

On road recording starts at 8.18

Here's the size of the camera in the car compared with another camera TechMoan used:
    This I might get that, seems like a good camera. Like the idea of the rear view cam too.

Edit: Just noticed it has free P&P to UK, so using ParcelMotel, you can get it for around €65 :D

Edit 2: Just bought it. Came to €77 as I didn't want to go through the hassle of setting up new paypal account to use with ParcelMotel. I'll post some test footage when it arrives. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭sheehan12

i have roadhawk dc-1 i think it very noticeable in car look a bit stupid.i now only used in truck . is there any smaller camara out ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Finally have a dash cam, aound Tal

Finally have a dash cam, aound Tal

Let me know if you need any settings changed etc

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Ah, but that's the UK. If that was in front of our Traffic Corps, they would take no notice, because they're on their way to the deli counter of the local Centra.
    I have yet to see them pull someone over for doing something stupid on the road.
    Now, going a few k's over the speed limit on a perfectly straight, empty and dry motorway in optimal conditions, that is another matter of course...
    In Ireland only speeding is treated as an offence, everything else is "Ah sure, be grand"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Advertisement

Context? Tram line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Context? Tram line?

Yea we were right to build the luas underground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Ah, but that's the UK. If that was in front of our Traffic Corps, they would take no notice, because they're on their way to the deli counter of the local Centra.
    I have yet to see them pull someone over for doing something stupid on the road.
    Now, going a few k's over the speed limit on a perfectly straight, empty and dry motorway in optimal conditions, that is another matter of course...
    In Ireland only speeding is treated as an offence, everything else is "Ah sure, be grand"

On my way home one day there was a gravel truck chugging along as they do, slowly on bad roads. Behind the truck there's a pajero, then a mondeo, then me.

I was only going a few miles down the road so sitting back, not bothered. Through a forest on bends and a continuous white line the paj decides to over take in a cloud of black smoke. I know the road and it wasn't a safe place as traffic coming in the other direction can be fast and you can't see it coming.

Then the mondeo follows, there's me thinking "monkey see, monkey do". Shortly after the truck indicates to pull out into the other lane. I can see the paj pulled in awkwardly, and the modeo behind it.

As the truck get's out of the way I can see what's happened. The mondeo was an unmarked car and the cop is now walking over to the paj where a very red faced driver is winding down the window.

I didn't recognise the guy, but I bet he's local and I'd also bet he was the same as myself, only had a few miles to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Iv seen the Traffic Corps pull a VW Golf that was doing 140kph+ and staying in the outside lane on the M8, He overtook me, 10mins later i saw him pulled to the side of the road by the Traffic corp. 20mins later the fool overtook me again, still speeding and still staying in the overtaking lane. Some fools just dont learn.

Iv also seen a Traffic Corps bike pull over another guy (funnily enough in a VW Golf again) for cutting someone off at a roundabout similar enough to the video posted above.

So they do pull people over for stupid driving.

Are you taking the Micky?

TC over here are pretty good at noticing stuff and doing people for it

I was sitting in traffic in Clonsilla on Friday and a TC car driving past noticed a couple of junkies trying to break a kick off a construction site entrance, he very quickly stopped the car and ran after them... I've seen several other instances too

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

Context? Tram line?

The description says that a truck with oversized cargo broke the overhead cables for the trams. The truck driver was later arrested. The driver broke his arm and ribs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Are you taking the Micky?

TC over here are pretty good at noticing stuff and doing people for it

I was sitting in traffic in Clonsilla on Friday and a TC car driving past noticed a couple of junkies trying to break a kick off a construction site entrance, he very quickly stopped the car and ran after them... I've seen several other instances too

I've seen people take the almighty piss on roundabouts right in front of the TC and not a single fcuk was given.
    I have yet to see TC pull over anyone for anything short of undertaking them on the motorway, pulling in front of them and jamming on the brakes.
    Then you could be pulled over. Maybe.
    To my eyes what they do is stand by the side of the road with a hairdrier or do traffic checks (Tax, insurance, grand!).
    But maybe it's different here in the Clare/Limerick region.

First night using my new cam. Micra with no lights on. Had to take out sound as the lads were taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I have yet to see TC pull over anyone for anything short of undertaking them on the motorway

They've pulled me, as have regular Gardai, deserved both times so no quibbles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

God Father wrote: »
    The description says that a truck with oversized cargo broke the overhead cables for the trams. The truck driver was later arrested. The driver broke his arm and ribs.
    thanks for that, i'm assuming you are (or at least speak) russian?

google translate actually does sort of okay with it too. :)
    Ford Focus became entangled in the dangling wires designed for trolley buses. Pass the wire broke earlier wagon with oversized cargo (building boards). Truck driver arrested. The driver Ford preliminary hearings broken arm and ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

vibe666 wrote: »
    thanks for that, i'm assuming you are (or at least speak) russian?

google translate actually does sort of okay with it too. :)

Ha nope it was my interpretation of your quote that chrome translated for me ;)

Anyone wanna watch me just drive around normally? Lol there's nought doing about Limerick :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Not much happening in Kerry either. Since I installed the camera about 4 months ago, not one decent clip of anyone acting the maggot.

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I installed my cam after two very close calls in three days. That was earlier this summer and nothing has happened since. Long may it last!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I'd love to get a dash cam, any recommendations for which one to get ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

kingtut wrote: »

It'll really depend on what you want it for, do you just want a dashcam or a Blackbox style camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

kingtut wrote: »
    it depends on how much you want to spend i guess.

check out techmoan's reviews for some good tips on what you might want to get and take it from there.

personally i'd say go for a half decent relatively cheap one first to see if you like the idea of it in practice rather than blowing 100 quid odd on a fancy one right off the bat, but that's up to you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Have been pondering getting Dash cam more for video taping idiot drivers than anything else. However, yesterdays near fatal car accident, when a car hit a wall head on just as I was exiting a driveway, got me thinking that a camera would be very useful.
    Two things are going through my mind.

1. A camera facing front is most useful but a side and rear facing lense would be good too. If I had had a side camera I could have recorded the driver skidding about 100 ft, being on phone and much too close to ditch etc.

2. Could an iphone or normal digital camera be somehow mounted on dash and used while driving. It could then be easily removed at journey's end and the savings from not buying a dash cam could be used for buying a good quality iPhone or digital camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Have been pondering getting Dash cam more for video taping idiot drivers than anything else. However, yesterdays near fatal car accident, when a car hit a wall head on just as I was exiting a driveway, got me thinking that a camera would be very useful.
    Two things are going through my mind.

1. A camera facing front is most useful but a side and rear facing lense would be good too. If I had had a side camera I could have recorded the driver skidding about 100 ft, being on phone and much too close to ditch etc.

2. Could an iphone or normal digital camera be somehow mounted on dash and used while driving. It could then be easily removed at journey's end and the savings from not buying a dash cam could be used for buying a good quality iPhone or digital camera.

You can use a phone, but TBH a permanently mounted dedicated camera would be more practical IMHO.

I have used this before but after a while you just won't bother switching it on -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dailyroads.v

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sambucus

You can use a phone, but TBH a permanently mounted dedicated camera would be more practical IMHO.

I have used this before but after a while you just won't bother switching it on -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dailyroads.v

Thats an android app. The one I use is called "witness" for iphone.
    One of Fifth gears top 5 apps for driving!
    works ok now that I have a horizontal mount now saved me from the vertical video sin I commited earlier on in this thread, 12 euro from tesco
    see page 47 on this thread for the demo

• Advertisement

Corolla that pulls out infront of me and an Avensis that pulls straight out across the road and parks in an island for turning right.

Had two good day time videos but I fecking deleted them by accident :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

You seem to hopping the lane quite a bit, from being in the rightmost lane, you hit the roundabout in the leftmost (which is a left turn only) while processing to going straight through the roundabout & cutting into the rightmost lane...

So you must be an Irish driver!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

You seem to hopping the lane quite a bit, from being in the rightmost lane, you hit the roundabout in the leftmost (which is a left turn only) while processing to going straight through the roundabout & cutting into the rightmost lane...

I was just about to say the same ,ya may learn how to use a roundabout LM

As you can see the long bit at the first part there is a bus lane to the left. Coming down to the roundabout I cut through it to save me having to brake and cut tight in around the roundabout (Half one in the morning, no cars around). I had my right indicator on and then flicked it left.

I was just about to say the same ,ya may learn how to use a roundabout LM

I know well how to use that roundabout. You know for a fact coming to that if you stick to the lanes (especially coming from the other side up) if you use it properly people always think you're turning off and pull out in front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I know well how to use that roundabout. You know for a fact coming to that if you stick to the lanes (especially coming from the other side up) if you use it properly people always think you're turning off and pull out in front.
    I always stick to the lanes there and never have an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

To be fair at that hour i wouldn't fault you on the lane hoping, all though pulling into the lane closest to the center of the roundabout might be why the corolla pulled out, but i'm guessing you moved over thinking the corolla wasn't going to stop anyway, what was the avensis driver thinking, stupid move really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

The title of this thread should be changed

The title of this thread should be changed
    To?

Got my camera yesterday. The cables were very long as expected, but easy enough to hide. For the front I just hide the majority of the cable under passenger foot mat. For the rear, I just bundled the unused cable, taped it up, and stuffed it in between rear seats (can't be seen. And just ran the cable under trim.

The software that came on the micro SD wouldn't install in Win7 64bit (but I think these are just drivers for webcam anyway, no no problems). I just used Movie Maker to edit vids below, so might be a bit of loss in quality. I'm happy enough with the quality of the cam for daytime, and nighttime is fine too. Camera comes on as soon as power is given to the cigarette lighter, and it turns off after about 10-15seconds after power it turned off. So far, I'm very happy with it. Only problem so far is the time-stamp, but I was expecting that after the review from Techmoan. Also make a nice little tone when turning on/off so you know its working. Select 720p after hitting the little cog in bottom right of video.

It gone up in price by around €15 since I bought it.
    www.ebay.ie/itm/271021038724

Sample video.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement