Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

The title of this thread should be changed
    Tallon wrote: »
    To?

'Post videos of your driving for criticism here'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

To?
    sentient_6 wrote: »
    'Post videos of your driving for criticism here'.

To be honest, that would make sense to separate this thread into two.

One technical about dashcams, what and where to buy and some sample videos.

And other one with video of instersting road sitations recorded by boardies dashcams, so everyone can comment on a video as well.

At the moment this thread is getting a bit messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I'd say a post about where, how and video footage locked, and linked in the charter so people can direct people to it, then just leave this thread as it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

To?

Sorry I've been away.
    It's not really a "dash cam saves your ass" thread anymore.
    It's gone a bit off topic and more about near misses mixed with criticism of the cam owners driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

What do ye make of this cam http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Windscreen-Dash-Portable-Camera-Cam-Recorder-Car-Vehicle-DVR-Accident-/261092683991?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cca5630d7#ht_2585wt_1163

Also maybe splitting the thread into a Dash cam Advice thread (only allowing review videos) and a Dash cam videos thread might work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Doesn't seem to mention resolution at all which throws up a red flag for me. You'd want something to record in 720p at least, to have any hope of catching a reg passing you anyway. Watch out for ones saying they're 1280x960 as they're just upscaled 640x480.

You'd want 720 or 1080.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Sorry I've been away.
    It's not really a "dash cam saves your ass" thread anymore.
    It's gone a bit off topic and more about near misses mixed with criticism of the cam owners driving.
    I got critisised when I almost got wiped out by a woman driving the wrong way on the M4 near Athlone. I believe same woman killed someone with the same carry on a year or so back. Kinda hard to take criticism due to a car driving the wrong way on the mway at you. Shame I've no dash cam acton of it, best manoever I ever made.

On topic, my cigarette lighter doesn't shut off on key removal, any issues with this? And what's the current "boards approved cam" now?
    :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_PooTPl-6fs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ok,i've had my little dash cam for awhile now so thought i would try uploading a clip. This happened this morning during the school run in Dundalk. The light clearly goes to amber then red but the bus driver sails on through anyway.

any advice re: editing or which programs to use would be great. When i play this in media player it is jerky and slow but media player classic it is perfect. ( I removed the sound as its nsfw )

http://youtu.be/_PooTPl-6fs

soups05 wrote: »

ok,i've had my little dash cam for awhile now so thought i would try uploading a clip. This happened this morning during the school run in Dundalk. The light clearly goes to amber then red but the bus driver sails on through anyway.

any advice re: editing or which programs to use would be great. When i play this in media player it is jerky and slow but media player classic it is perfect. ( I removed the sound as its nsfw )

fyp ;)

What camera is that? Good quality

• Advertisement

Thanks tallon, I really must learn how to do that. as for the cam its the hd version smart cam which techmoan reviewed.back in april.

Thanks tallon, I really must learn how to do that. as for the cam its the hd version smart cam which techmoan reviewed.back in april.
    Everything after the '=' and before the '&' on YouTube is what you pop in the box here on Boards

/I]YOUTUBE]_PooTPl-6fs[/YOUTUBE[I

http://www.youtube.com/embed/_PooTPl-6fs

like that ? I just don't see any plus in my link ???

http://www.youtube.com/embed/_PooTPl-6fs

like that ? I just don't see any plus in my link ???

Nope, re-read my comment...
    Everything after the '=' and before the '&'

If there's no '&' then it's just everything after the '='

From the URL at the top of the YouTube page

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Simply_Jay

MORE RUSSIAN FIGHT VIDEOS! I NEED MORE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

Just a quick question about these dash cams. I'm thinking of getting one, but can I get one that doesn't have to be plugged into the cigarette lighter receptacle? My car doesn't have one (Yes, it's that old!!!). It'd be handy if you could just get one that you could charge by plugging it into a wall socket and then it'd stay going for a few hours, ya know?

• Advertisement

Totofan99 wrote: »
    Just a quick question about these dash cams. I'm thinking of getting one, but can I get one that doesn't have to be plugged into the cigarette lighter receptacle? My car doesn't have one (Yes, it's that old!!!). It'd be handy if you could just get one that you could charge by plugging it into a wall socket and then it'd stay going for a few hours, ya know?
    You would never use it in that case, trust me

I don't even notice it anymore when I get in as its all automatic.

It would be very very easy to wire it to you ignition

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Simply_Jay

yep, or you can just drop a laptop into your trunk with a pinhead-size wireless cam (or even wired if disguised properly) facing anything you'd like it to face and recording for much longer+ performing other actions like you know sound alarm or anything. that is if you don't want to mess with wiring dash cam to ignition

You would never use it in that case, trust me

I don't even notice it anymore when I get in as its all automatic.

It would be very very easy to wire it to you ignition

Fair point. Thanks for the advice!

Simply_Jay wrote: »
    yep, or you can just drop a laptop into your trunk with a pinhead-size wireless cam (or even wired if disguised properly) facing anything you'd like it to face and recording for much longer+ performing other actions like you know sound alarm or anything. that is if you don't want to mess with wiring dash cam to ignition

Good idea!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

yep, or you can just drop a laptop into your trunk

with a pinhead-size wireless cam (or even wired if disguised properly) facing anything you'd like it to face

and recording for much longer+ performing other actions like you know sound alarm or anything.

that is if you don't want to mess with wiring dash cam to ignition

How would power the laptop though?

Battery would only last a certain number of hours and would then have to be recharged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Far more effort than wiring an ignition. Plus you'd be asking for trouble with programs not running when they should, starting / stopping the PC and the constant vibration would eventually ruin the hard drive.

It honestly is not that hard to find a switched ignition source in your fuse box, which is normally handily located for such uses. Any half decent mechanic or DIY enthusiast could do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Here's a bit of a dash-cam video from Russia.

While it's no so much about saving your arse, it's definatly some lucky escape for the truck driver there. Had he had seatbelts on, it might have looked worse for him

Dash-cams give us more interesting footage :)

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

My first post, hope it works.
    Poor driving: tailgating, undertaking, fast-lane hogging, etc. I was leaving the Micra space to pull into the left lane.
    Blackvue DR400G, the time is not correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Thinking a GoPro camera might be good as a dash cam as well as for my kayaking etc.
    Price seems OK compared to dedicated dash cameras.
    What do you think?

http://gopro.com/

Thinking a GoPro camera might be good as a dash cam as well as for my kayaking etc.
    Price seems OK compared to dedicated dash cameras.
    What do you think?

http://gopro.com/

A GoPro is vastly superior than a simple dashcam, but most dashcams can show date, time and speed in the video and have gps build in. The gopro does not.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Good point.
    Might be better than nothing though.

Does anyone know if insurance companies give lower premiums to those with cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You'd be better off getting a good quality dash cam like the iTronics ITB100HD rather than a gopro. A go pro is probably a better camera alright, but an iTronics would be a better blackbox.

Good point.
    Might be better than nothing though.

Does anyone know if insurance companies give lower premiums to those with cameras.

There's another advantage to proper dashcams. They power on and off with the ignition, if your cigarette lighter does it or you wire it into a circuit, that does.

The gopro you'll have to turn on and off everytime yourself. It has a one button function, that'll help it, but with the dash-cam you wire it in and forget about it. Only ever need to touch it, if you need some video from it.

The GoPro is a serious little cam. I have one myself and I love it. But for a dash-cam it's a bit pricey. I have a hd-capable gps dash cam, which cost me less than 180 eur for the use as dash-cam.

The gopro is really something for outdoors video footage and sports footage. For that it's the best you can get though.

As for insurance, you'd have to ask them yourself. It's unlikely.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Tried a HUD app for the phone that works pretty well with the camera...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Tried a HUD app for the phone that works pretty well with the camera...

And then this happened...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPeHFDxKUP4#t=01m48s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭housetypeb

I came across this the other day, Little old lady going serenely the wrong way around the roundabout, not a bother on her.

I seen the same 3 times this week

All old ladies!

They don't drive too fast anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

I am looking to purchase the ITRONICS ITB-100HD however i also need it to record over night when the engine is off. Anyone able to advise me if this is what i need to have constant power http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/ITRONICS-ITB-100HD-UNINTERRUPTED-POWER-CABLE-ITV-80-NEW-BLACK-BOX-NOT-INCLUDED-/110968905341?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d6431e7d#ht_6720wt_922

Would this have any effect on the car battery, it wouldn't drain it over night?

Yes. It will drain your battery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Belfunk wrote: »
    I am looking to purchase the ITRONICS ITB-100HD however i also need it to record over night when the engine is off. Anyone able to advise me if this is what i need to have constant power http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/ITRONICS-ITB-100HD-UNINTERRUPTED-POWER-CABLE-ITV-80-NEW-BLACK-BOX-NOT-INCLUDED-/110968905341?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d6431e7d#ht_6720wt_922

Would this have any effect on the car battery, it wouldn't drain it over night?

The ITB100HD has a parking mode so it records any sensed movement. With a 32gb sd card on the highest quality, you'll only get 8 hours of footage also. I'm not sure if it takes 64gb cards so if you want a solution to continuously record from say, the time you get home 7pm to leaving at 7am, this won't really work, unless you're ok with a lower quality setting and also setting the card to record 100% "normal" movement.

With the camera plugged in overnight, in parking mode, the battery won't be drained unless it's a weak battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Heading home from town yesterday. A Passat pulls into our lane without any indication before making a left turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Heading home from town yesterday. A Passat pulls into our lane without any indication before making a left turn.

that's a terrible stretch of road there

always assholes parked on the road and this type of move goes on a lot.

plus 1 for reacting quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Anyone bought this? http://www.carcameradirect.com/?gs50dashcarcamera-dash%20cam

Looks tidy and good value.

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Small bit of rubbernecking the other night on the N18 at the shannon turn off.

It was 3 am and i may have gotten a bit mad with the editing

BenThere wrote: »
    Anyone bought this? http://www.carcameradirect.com/?gs50dashcarcamera-dash%20cam

Ben

I imagine it's probably very similar to the one I have above:

https://livingsocial.com/products/uk/1828-prestigio-high-definition-dashcam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I imagine it's probably very similar to the one I have above:

https://livingsocial.com/products/uk/1828-prestigio-high-definition-dashcam

Looks very similar all right. How do you find it?

Ben

Looks very similar all right. How do you find it?

Ben

It's not bad actually, the quality is fairly alright and it lasts for about two days on battery. For the money I certainly can't complain. I know there are cameras with substantially better video but they cost a lot more so this is a happy middle ground.

Another driving in Russia videos. Not entirely dash cm footage, but still brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Ben
    i have one and it's alright for the price, but it's not going to win any awards.

it's fussy about what SD cards you use, if it's not a higher priced name brand one it might not work at all, or will only work intermittently and it seems to be fussier with higher capacity cards. anything 2gb or less will work, but with the bigger capacity cards it's a lot more fussy. i got a class10 32gb 7dayshop branded card and it doesn't work at all, despite working perfectly in the half a dozen other devices i've tested. i also can't get it to work at all with any microSD cards with (several tested and working) SD adapters.

i think i have a 16gb fujitsu branded card in it now from powercity and it's working okay with that.

quality is okay, but could be better. file sizes are pretty big too, in hidsight i should have payed extra and gone with something that does h.264 encoding to keep file sizes down.

it also doesn't like it when i start the car up and quite often cuts out. i have a diesel, so i have to wait about 5 seconds before i start the car and although it's set to start recording when the cig lighter gets power and stop when the ignition is off, it sometimes detects the fluctuation in power when i turn the car over as me turning the engine off and shuts itself down.

i also can't get the looping recording function to work properly and i have to keep an eye on it and just format it any time it doesn't automatically start recording, which can be a real PITA as the menu system can be a little awkward to navigate with the unit in place.

it's okay for the money though, although iirc i got mine a bit cheaper off ebay.

• Advertisement

I don't think this driver even saw me until I nearly broadsided her,she was too busy chatting to her friend.
    She had a left turn followed by a right turn into her estate parking area-but drove diagonally across instead to save time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

housetypeb wrote: »
    I don't think this driver even saw me until I nearly broadsided her,she was too busy chatting to her friend.
    She had a left turn followed by a right turn into her estate parking area-but drove diagonally across instead to save time.

To be honest, it looks like she had a right of way here - you should have yield to her.
    (obviously unless there is some extra signage which we can't see on the video)

CiniO wrote: »
    To be honest, it looks like she had a right of way here - you should have yield to her.
    (obviously unless there is some extra signage which we can't see on the video)
    To me it looks like the road the OP was driving was the main road, and the womans road (right turn) was a side road. So OP would have right of way.

housetypeb wrote: »
    You were totally in the wrong!

And so what if she was talking to someone?! At least she had the cop on to notice you weren't stopping anytime soon and she braked!

No, I shouldn't have yielded to her, she made a left turn off of a main road and then should have waited 'til I passed before turning right into her estate.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement