Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

To me it looks like the road the OP was driving was the main road, and the womans road (right turn) was a side road. So OP would have right of way.
    Really?

Are there two different videos? Because what I see is the op coming out of and estate / cul de sac, and the lady entering it from the main road...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Tallon wrote: »
    You were totally in the wrong!

And so what if she was talking to someone?! At least she had the cop on to notice you weren't stopping anytime soon and she braked!

I was the one who had the cop on to brake as I saw she wasn't stopping anytime soon.

housetypeb wrote: »
    No, I shouldn't have yielded to her, she made a left turn off of a main road and then should have waited 'til I passed before turning right into her estate.
    You're joking, right?

'Right' of way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

To me it looks like the road the OP was driving was the main road, and the womans road (right turn) was a side road. So OP would have right of way.
    No, I shouldn't have yielded to her, she made a left turn off of a main road and then should have waited 'til I passed before turning right into her estate.

The place you meet her looks like another junction of 3 roads (one coming from the main road, road leading from her estate, and the road you drove from).

Could you give us a view from google maps?

I was the one who had the cop on to brake as I saw she wasn't stopping anytime soon.
    She clearly was, you can see her brake, and jam on!!!

She probably got startled when she realised there was someone heading at her without yielding

Exactly as opposite. She had to cop on the brake as she saw you weren't stopping anytime soon.

Really?

Are there two different videos? Because what I see is the op coming out of and estate / cul de sac, and the lady entering it from the main road...
    I'm basing it on the fact that the road the women is driving onto (turning into) is looking only wide enough for one car, whereas the OP is driving on a road which is wide enough for two cars. And therefore the two lane road would have right of way in most situations, as I assumed this is the case as I see no signs?

Edit:
    I think we can all agree this is a place where signs should have been erected! After looking again at a higher quality vid, I'm not sure if the road is wide enough for two car. Seems like it is?

I'm basing it on the fact that the road the women is driving onto (turning into) is looking only wide enough for one car, whereas the OP is driving on a road which is wide enough for two cars. And therefore the two lane road would have right of way in most situations, as I assumed this is the case as I see no signs?

Edit:
    I think we can all agree this is a place where signs should have been erected!
    So you think that people have priority depending on the width of the road? Wow

The op Is clearly leaving an estate, the place between the two walls is a junction, at a junction, You yield to traffic coming from the right,..

Edit:
    I think we can all agree this is a place where signs should have been erected!

I think you can't assume that wider road is the main road.
    If there is completely no signage, then it should be considered a junction of roads of equal importance, and therefore vehicles coming from the right side have right of way. (so in OP's case other car was coming from the right side).

So you think that people have priority depending on the width of the road? Wow
    When a two lane road has a one lane side road off it, generally the two lane has priority.
    CiniO wrote: »
    I think you can't assume that wider road is the main road.
    If there is completely no signage, then it should be considered a junction of roads of equal importance, and therefore vehicles coming from the right side have right of way. (so in OP's case other car was coming from the right side).
    I agree.

• Advertisement

When a two lane road has a one lane side road off it, generally the two lane has priority.

I agree.
    Any link to that legislation?

Also, can you show me how it's a two lane road? I don't see any markings

Just because a road is wide enough for two cars, doesn't make it a two lane road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'd like to setup a dash cam myself but would like to record 12 hours of footage at a time, is there many setups under 200euro that would do this.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I'd like to setup a dash cam myself but would like to record 12 hours of footage at a time, is there many setups under 200euro that would do this.

Mine can record longer than that, with the right sized card ;)

The dash cam doesn't matter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

She left the main road though onto a secondary road, and was on it before you were, hence it became the new main road and you seem to have just barged your way onto it from a secondary road.

Any link to that legislation?

Also, can you show me how it's a two lane road? I don't see any markings

Just because a road is wide enough for two cars, doesn't make it a two lane road
    I don't know legislation as I'm not a solicitor or know the contents of all of the RTAs. But if this was a two lane, then I'm sure the rules of give way to oncoming traffic would apply.

Fair point above no markings. As you, and CiniO said, it is wrong of me to assume it a two way road just because of width.

OP should post a link to google map, make it clearer.

It's is an exit/ entrance to a petrol station leading onto a bypass-the main road the woman made a left turn from, I'm already on the exit road where according to you I should now wait for her to to make a right in front of me to get into her estate,instead of her waiting(and perhaps indicating her intentions) until I pass her before making her right turn.

I don't know legislation as I'm not a solicitor or know the contents of all of the RTAs.

FFS! Typical Irish driver.. Haven't a clue what your arguing about, but by god, you'll argue it anyway

Learn the ROTR and then come back and tell me the op was in the right :rolleyes:

It's is an exit/ entrance to a petrol station leading onto a bypass-the main road the woman made a left turn from, I'm already on the exit road where according to you I should now wait for her to to make a right in front of me to get into her estate,instead of her waiting(and perhaps indicating her intentions) until I pass her before making her right turn.
    You were 100% in the wrong!

The exit / entrance DOES NOT lead to a bypass! It leads to a sub road which services the estate and petrol station, she was on this road, and you were totally wrong to not yield to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

The only reason you were "on" the exit road a fraction before she was is because you failed to give right of way to the traffic which actually had the right of way. Your argument seems to be that you should have been magically gifted the right of way just so you wouldn't have to wait for her to make her turn, which she is entitled to do.

• Advertisement

FFS! Typical Irish driver.. Haven't a clue what your arguing about, but by god, you'll argue it anyway

Learn the ROTR and then come back and tell me the op was in the right :rolleyes:
    The ROTR are not legislation. Do you expect every driver to learn every Section of every Road Traffic Act?

I explained why I thought what I thought. And I agreed with you that I may have made a mistake with my assumption.

qz wrote: »
    She left the main road though onto a secondary road, and was on it before you were, hence it became the new main road and you seem to have just barged your way onto it from a secondary road.

I know your verdict is the same as mine but I wouldn't agree with the way you understand it.
    Neither OP nor the other driver were on the "new main road".
    Only reason why the other driver had right of way, is because none of the roads was the main road, and other driver was coming from the right side in relation to OP.

The ROTR are not legislation. Do you expect every driver to learn every Section of every Road Traffic Act?

I explained why I thought what I thought. And I agreed with you that I may have made a mistake with my assumption.
    They should at least know the basic ones, like 'keep left' and 'yield'

Neither of which the op did

They should at least know the basic ones, like 'keep left' and 'yield'

Neither of which the op did
    I agree. I explained what I thought, and agreed it may be wrong. But if it was the conditions of which I thought, then I would be correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It would be interesting to see a google maps image of it before coming to any conclusions of near certainty.

robbie7730 wrote: »

It would be interesting to see a google maps image of it before coming to any conclusions of near certainty.
    It would be brilliant, yeah. Even name the place and I can look myself, but it's fairly clear cut from the video

• Advertisement

It would be brilliant, yeah. Even name the place and I can look myself, but it's fairly clear cut from the video

Well then, your a better boards driver than me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bar32

If you pause the video at 6seconds both cars are on the same stretch of road. It doesn't matter at this stage what way you designate the road-main road, link, bypass etc. The roads do not meet at the one place so it is not a 3 way junction where you would give way to the person on the right. The other car cut the corner and pulled across in front of the OP. The other car is in the wrong for pulling in front of the OP.

bar32 wrote: »
    If you pause the video at 6seconds both cars are on the same stretch of road. It doesn't matter at this stage what way you designate the road-main road, link, bypass etc. The roads do not meet at the one place so it is not a 3 way junction where you would give way to the person on the right. The other car cut the corner and pulled across in front of the OP. The other car is in the wrong for pulling in front of the OP.
    Wow!

Wow!
    Indeed.

qz wrote: »
    The only reason you were "on" the exit road a fraction before she was is because you failed to give right of way to the traffic which actually had the right of way. Your argument seems to be that you should have been magically gifted the right of way just so you wouldn't have to wait for her to make her turn, which she is entitled to do.

No,It's not a roundabout, she made a left turn,then should have waited until I passed before making her right turn.

She failed to give right of way to me

As you say I was "on" the exit road (past the walls in this case) before her,there would have been no problem if she had made a left turn and then indicated right waiting until I passed-but she cut diagonally across from the get go.

• Advertisement

No,It's not a roundabout, she made a left turn,then should have waited until I passed before making her right turn.

She failed to give right of way to me

As you say I was "on" the exit road (past the walls in this case) before her,there would have been no problem if she had made a left turn and then indicated right waiting until I passed-but she cut diagonally across from the get go.

I demand a google map at this stage:D

I'll even settle for a Yahoo map :P

Believe me I'm trying google maps but my browser is causing problems,
    skibbereen, market street, cost cutters petrol station, bypass road at the back.

Finally
    Here we are.

Google maps were crap.

http://binged.it/SdvC25

After seeing this map, I sustain my opinion.
    It's a junction of 3 roads of equal importance, and therefore OP was supposed to give way to other car which was coming from his right side.

CiniO wrote: »
    After seeing this map, I sustain my opinion.
    It's a junction of 3 roads of equal importance, and therefore OP was supposed to give way to other car which was coming from his right side.

Yea it looks that way alright.

I would also tend to agree with Tallon and CiniO now.

I accept I was wrong.

That's it, took you a minute for what I'm trying for the last hour.

That's it, took you a minute for what I'm trying for the last hour.

Google maps has no coverage of the spot where it was, at decent resolution. Was just looking on the bing site when the spot was already linked by LJ91.

I can now conclude that the op was 1000% in the wrong!

Next time, give way and stop thinking you have priority because someone was talking to someone else and also drove too diagonally for your liking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack breen

I want one of these with GPS and a good camera. Are deal extreme any good theh have a rake of them on show.

It looks like a staggered crossroads to me! I'm sticking to my guns and stand by my first decision! I'd draw it for ye if I could but basically think of the letter T, turned upside down, with another junction sticking out to the right...hope that makes sense. As someone said, no signs anywhere. We have debated for over an hour. You just have to make the best decision you can in real-time.

I can now conclude that the op was 1000% in the wrong!

Next time, give way and stop thinking you have priority because someone was talking to someone else and also drove too diagonally for your liking

Yes a good conclusion alright, judging by the strong evidence presented.

It looks like a staggered crossroads to me! I'm sticking to my guns and stand by my first decision! I'd draw it for ye if I could but basically think of the letter T, turned upside down, with another junction sticking out to the right...hope that makes sense. As someone said, no signs anywhere. We have debated for over an hour. You just have to make the best decision you can in real-time.
    If ever in doubt, slow down and anticipate the worst, don't continue on and get annoyed because someone didn't do what you thought they were going to do

Also, op, I'd be interested in hearing the audio, I'd say its entertaining to say the least ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

It's not 3 roads of equal importance, the op came out of a shop car park, he should have yielded to that car and he should also yield to any car coming from the left as well.

If ever in doubt, slow down and anticipate the worst, don't continue on and get annoyed because someone didn't do what you thought they were going to do

Also, op, I'd be interested in hearing the audio, I'd say its entertaining to say the least ;)

Id say most of us have interesting audio outbursts at some time, even when we knew we were in the wrong. But it would be interesting to hear the op audio alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The OP driver crossed two roads / white lines ( maybe imaginary ones )

Totally in the wrong .

There is another dash cam in this thread somewhere which is similar ,- A car is on a roundabout and the dash cam driver just bullies his way in front of a car and thinks he was in the right too .

Cedrus wrote: »
    It's not 3 roads of equal importance, the op came out of a shop car park, he should have yielded to that car and he should also yield to any car coming from the left as well.

So in general bar32 reckons the main road goes to the petrol station, and there is a turn to the side to the estate.
    While Cedrus thinks the main road goes into the estate, and there is a side turn into the gate.

Any reasons for such interpretation, provided there is no indication in form of any road signs or signage, and also all 3 roads seem to be nearly all at 120degrees angle between each other?>

Cedrus wrote: »

But he has exited the car park and is out on the road when the incident occurs.

• Advertisement

The OP driver crossed two roads / white lines ( maybe imaginary ones )

Totally in the wrong .

There is another dash cam in this thread somewhere which is similar ,- A car is on a roundabout and the dash cam driver just bullies his way in front of a car and thinks he was in the right too .

There's no such thing as imaginary white lines.
    They are either there or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement