Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

bar32 wrote: »

But he has exited the car park and is out on the road when the incident occurs.
    No he hasn't, you need some prescription glasses there mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

CiniO wrote: »
    There's no such thing as imaginary white lines.
    They are either there or not.

The white lines are visible in the photo ,but invisible in the dash-cam ..........So are they there or are they not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bar32

So in general bar32 reckons the main road goes to the petrol station, and there is a turn to the side to the estate.
    While Cedrus thinks the main road goes into the estate, and there is a side turn into the gate.

Any reasons for such interpretation, provided there is no indication in form of any road signs or signage, and also all 3 roads seem to be nearly all at 120degrees angle between each other?>

Yes, that's basically it. Comes down to our different interpretations of the roads in front of us as to who is right or wrong. My opinion, and please I know this is very naive/shaky and I'm open to correction, would be that a 3 way junction would most definitely be signposted whereas a 2 way junction wouldn't necessarily be. Think about it, how many 2 road junctions do you pass without signposts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The white lines are visible in the photo ,but invisible in the dash-cam ..........So are they there or are they not ?

Well if they are, then they are not imaginary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I can't see them on the photo.

• Advertisement

Tallon wrote: »
    No he hasn't, you need some prescription glasses there mate!

Definitely has Tallon. Has passed the gate and stops half way in junction. Look at the map. No way his car is still in car park. He is well outside the gate before other car makes its first turn left.

Edited to say maybe not well outside but I'd give the nod to the OP being outside the gate before the other driver completed her maneuver. Doesn't affect my main argument but it does affect yours I suppose.

Definitely has Tallon. Has passed the gate and stops half way in junction. Look at the map. No way his car is still in car park. He is well outside the gate before other car makes its first turn left.

Before the wall, after the wall, its all the same, he is still on the car park exit road.

Yes, that's basically it. Comes down to our different interpretations of the roads in front of us as to who is right or wrong. My opinion, and please I know this is very naive/shaky and I'm open to correction, would be that a 3 way junction would most definitely be signposted whereas a 2 way junction wouldn't necessarily be. Think about it, how many 2 road junctions do you pass without signposts?

As I discovered by driving in Ireland, most junctions are signed from the side road side by installing yield or stop sign and painting appropriate lines.
    Here there is neither of those.

Most 3 way junctions in this country are T junctions, where right of way goes to vehicles going straight ahead.

This seems to be quite unusual road formation (3 way junction which is not T junction) but whatever way you look at it, it exists, and we can see it on the video and picture.
    I admit it's unusual, but those facts make this junction a junction of roads with equal importance, and therefore right of way goes to vehicles coming from the right.

If whoever designed this junction wanted one of the road to be the main road, he would sign it appropriately.

Edited to say maybe not well outside but I'd give the nod to the OP being outside the gate before the other driver completed her maneuver. Doesn't affect my main argument but it does affect yours I suppose.
    Hang on, you said he 'is out on the road' employing the main road, which he IS NOT!
    He is on a side street, the woman has right of way, end of!!!!

As I discovered by driving in Ireland, most junctions are signed from the side road side by installing yield or stop sign and painting appropriate lines.
    Here there is neither of those.

Most 3 way junctions in this country are T junctions, where right of way goes to vehicles going straight ahead.

This seems to be quite unusual road formation (3 way junction which is not T junction) but whatever way you look at it, it exists, and we can see it on the video and picture.
    I admit it's unusual, but those facts make this junction a junction of roads with equal importance, and therefore right of way goes to vehicles coming from the right.

If whoever designed this junction wanted one of the road to be the main road, he would sign it appropriately.

Just to clarify, a T junction is where 2 roads meet. All arguments made against my opinion are based on 3 roads meeting.

• Advertisement

If you all stop and think for a second that the kerb directly in front of the op in the first few seconds is a roundabout, who would have right of way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭housetypeb

I'm past the wall and therefore on the road, a small straight stretch to a T junction with a main road, before the T junction there's a turn on my left into an estate.
    I maintain I had right of way on the road,as i was going straight and the woman had to make a right turn across me.
    Look at the map again.

Hang on, you said he 'is out on the road' employing the main road, which he IS NOT!
    He is on a side street, the woman has right of way, end of!!!!

Hold your horses a second. I'm not implying the "main road". As I said in an earlier post, they are both on the same road at the same time. Doesn't matter what you call the road. Now, because I believe that they are on the same road, the other driver pulled across the OP's side of the road in front of him and so is wrong.

housetypeb wrote: »
    I'm past the wall and therefore on the road, a small straight stretch to a T junction with a main road, before the T junction there's a turn on my left into an estate.
    I maintain I had right of way on the road,as i was going straight and the woman had to make a right turn across me.
    Look at the map again.
    You. We're. Exiting. A. Carpark!!!!!!

You're trying to use the excuse that had you been on the road first, then she would have cut across you, but you weren't! There may be a millisecond where your bumper hits the estate road before her, but she is still coming from the right and had right of way

Look at the map again.

When a car does not physically turn, that does not mean they are not in fact turning onto another road.

If you all stop and think for a second that the kerb directly in front of the op in the first few seconds is a roundabout, who would have right of way?

She would, but it's not a roundabout. she had two turns to do,left off of the main road, them right,against oncoming(me) traffic,

Hold your horses a second. I'm not implying the "main road". As I said in an earlier post, they are both on the same road at the same time. Doesn't matter what you call the road. Now, because I believe that they are on the same road, the other driver pulled across the OP's side of the road in front of him and so is wrong.
    They're not on the same road at the same time, if the were, that doesn't excuse the op from pulling across the path of an oncoming car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

So in general bar32 reckons the main road goes to the petrol station, and there is a turn to the side to the estate.
    While Cedrus thinks the main road goes into the estate, and there is a side turn into the gate.

Any reasons for such interpretation, provided there is no indication in form of any road signs or signage, and also all 3 roads seem to be nearly all at 120degrees angle between each other?>

I know this area very well and know that the two main entrances/exits to the petrol station and Scannells shop are actually on Market street to the east of the building and canopy, that this is a rear gate of relatively recent construction which very few people would use as it basically goes away from the town. The car park is also technically private property while the road is public.
    Also it is clearly shown on the ordinance survey map as a driveway

You're trying to use the excuse that had you been on the road first, then she would have cut across you, but you weren't! There may be a millisecond where your bumper hits the estate road before her, but she is still coming from the right and had right of way

So you now agree the OP was on the road first?

She would, but it's not a roundabout. she had two turns to do,left off of the main road, them right,against oncoming(me) traffic,
    YOU WEREN'T ONCOMING!!

You would have had to cut across her to be on the left side of the road on order for her to cut across you, this didn't happen, you were a nipple out grim the wall, but she is in the correct lane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Having read and watched the video a few times, the Focus was no in the wrong, it had just come off a road of more importance, the main road the OP turned right on to.

I said there may be, and went to explain even if he was, it was irrelevant.... Don't try twist my words chief

She. was .entering. an estate. off. of .a .road.
    It's a two way street and she cut right in front of me.

As pointed out, she was coming off the main road, that you then turned onto, she had right of way, not you. Please burn you license and re-learn how to drive.

I said there may be, and went to explain even if he was, it was irrelevant.... Don't try twist my words chief

I twisted no words.

He could be on the road first be he is still in the wrong, he had to cross her lane to get to his lane / side if the road. She came off the higher importance road, into a housing estate, again a road that would have more importance than the enterance / exit of a petrol station.

She didn't!

You keep saying its a two way street, the estate is! Not the exit you are coming from

Two way street, that you have to cross HER side of the road to get where you wanted to go, YOU ARE WRONG.

I will back this up, my wife got t-boned by a van doing the same as you. His insurance said he was wrong.

Cedrus wrote: »
    I know this area very well and know that the two main entrances/exits to the petrol station and Scannells shop are actually on Market street to the east of the building and canopy, that this is a rear gate of relatively recent construction which very few people would use as it basically goes away from the town. The car park is also technically private property while the road is public.
    Also it is clearly shown on the ordinance survey map as a driveway

Have to now accept I was wrong based on this ordance survey map.
    I see now what Tallon has been saying all along.
    The road after the wall and before the turn into the estate to the left is a driveway, so I should have waited for her to pass before joining the main road..
    There are no stop signs, difference in road surface or road markings after the station wall.
    Me maxima culpa.

There's no need to burn my license, we all live and learn and luckily nobody got hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Came across an impatient fella in a transit earlier:

I don't even....

The road after the wall and before the turn into the estate to the left is a driveway, so I should have waited for her to pass before joining the main road..
    There are no stop signs, difference in road surface or road markings after the station wall.
    Me maxima culpa.

There's no need to burn my license, we all live and learn and luckily nobody got hurt.
    robbie7730 wrote: »
    Before the wall, after the wall, its all the same, he is still on the car park exit road.
    :p

Dead Ed wrote: »

I don't even....

:eek:
    If speeds were a bit higher, this could easily end up in one of those russian crash compilations.

Two way street, that you have to cross HER side of the road to get where you wanted to go, YOU ARE WRONG.

I will back this up, my wife got t-boned by a van doing the same as you. His insurance said he was wrong.

I can see your argument and Tallon's. I agree with yere logic but not yere interpretation. Both the OP and I would view the stretch of tarmac from the gate of the station to the main road that he finally turns right on as a road in itself, with a left turn into an estate before the main road. There is no yield sign to say otherwise from our point of view. Therefore the woman pulled across the OP's lane and was in the wrong. Again I go back to what way you/we interpret the road layout. The stretch of tarmac is fairly straight out towards the main road. I understand that this doesn't automatically imply that you are still on the same road. I hope that we don't drive around with our heads buried in an ordnance survey map. As Tallon said, driving slowly and anticipating the worst is the best bet. I probably would have done the exact same as the OP tbh. Who else would have? Don't bull**** yereselves either.

Edited to say: By interpretation I mean in real-time in the car. Obviously if you interpret the OS map there is only 1 interpretation!! I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

:eek:
    If speeds were a bit higher, this could easily end up in one of those russian crash compilations.
    Hah, that's the first thing I thought about when the swearing subsided!

Me maxima culpa.

You legend, fair play for admitting! Takes a bigger person to do that!

Osi ftw :D

You don't need road markings, the wall signifies its an entrance so whatever road is after that has right of way

• Advertisement

Osi ftw :D

We dont need osi. The car park road is not even marked on bing or google maps in the road format.

Anyway, its clearly a car park entrance/driveway when seen from above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I don't even....

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\clarehall, I see this sort of thing there all the time, and cars speeding out of that mini roundabout after the garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Other driver definitely had right of way if that's the spot!

• Advertisement

Looking at that make's me even more baffled by all the people insisting the OP was right :eek:

There's absolutely no doubt that OP was meant to give way to other car.

What's more interesting though, is what in case the other car was not entering the estate, but coming out of it? OP coming from the same way as on the video.

Who would have right of way then?

I say that in that case it would be OP, as I said before that's a junction of roads of equal importance, so OP would be on the right side and therefore would have right of way.

But surely argument that OP was coming out of gate and therefore joining the road might make some sense as well (however I wouldn't opt for this option).

There's absolutely no doubt that OP was meant to give way to other car.

What's more interesting though, is what in case the other car was not entering the estate, but coming out of it? OP coming from the same way as on the video.

Who would have right of way then?

I say that in that case it would be OP, as I said before that's a junction of roads of equal importance, so OP would be on the right side and therefore would have right of way.

But surely argument that OP was coming out of gate and therefore joining the road might make some sense as well (however I wouldn't opt for this option).
    If she was coming 'out' of the estate, she would still have right of way... The garage is an Entrance / Exit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's not really a 3 way junction, the cois caol road starts as soon as you come off the main road and the entrance is only an entrance/exit and would be akin to someone coming out of their driveway as the driver is going either direction in the middle of the estate.

Anyone have any recommendations for a dash cam that would work with 24V?

Anyone have any recommendations for a dash cam that would work with 24V?

Every single one with this

Every single one with this
    Thanks! Problem is truck doesn't have lighter socket. Do ye reckon that converter could be wired into trucks radio power?

Thanks! Problem is truck doesn't have lighter socket. Do ye reckon that converter could be wired into trucks radio power?

Of course. Just cut the wire between converter and plug and solder it into radio power wires. Also would be wise to put a f.e. 5A fuse in between.

Of course. Just cut the wire between converter and socket and solder it into radio power wires. Also would be wise to put a f.e. 5A fuse in between.
    Thanks, CiniO! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭aman23

Hah, that's the first thing I thought about when the swearing subsided!

you were lucky he didn't have the caravan with him! but well spotted by you, and you were quick to apply the anchors

Have a look at this fool in the Santa Fe towing a trailer! Two lanes entering a roundabout, so he decides to come up between the two lanes, and drive on the white line through the roundabout. Cant really see it in the vid, but they also decided pretty late that they were coming off at the exit.

This is the junction in question:
    http://maps.google.ie/?ll=53.38505,-6.402551&spn=0.003673,0.009645&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.385158,-6.402532&panoid=ZO-2ZxACCbic6PZHGZKgMg&cbp=12,340.48,,0,11.81

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement