Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

When people hog the middle lane this is what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

Cedrus wrote: »
    When people hog the middle lane this is what happens.
    *Just to note: on the first occasion we were originally behind this car and moved out to overtake, but he seemed to have some sort of problem with this so he accelerated. You can't see it, but he was alongside accelerating for the first part of the video - we weren't just sitting in the middle lane the whole time.

AfterDusk wrote: »

Your edit passed my comment in the ether, it was not intended to be personal and as such it stands, a lot of people do hog the middle and outside lanes and people will undertake in these cases.

It might have been better if you had posted the full video that told the full story in your case.

What he did does appear to be lunatic but unless the ?gold volvo? in the outside lane was doing an insane speed you do not appear to be travelling at an appropriate speed for the centre lane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

AfterDusk wrote: »
    Christmas Day driver

*Just to note: on the first occasion we were originally behind this car and moved out to overtake, but he seemed to have some sort of problem with this so he accelerated. You can't see it, but he was alongside accelerating for the first part of the video - we weren't just sitting in the middle lane the whole time.
    Tbh there were plenty of times where you should have returned to the left lane,specifically the point where you pass the black clio (fiesta?)

unless the ?gold volvo? in the outside lane was doing an insane speed you do not appear to be travelling at an appropriate speed for the centre lane.

We were doing 70.

There were not plenty of opportunities to return to the left lane. As I said, you cannot see off camera (directly to our left) where the Avensis was sitting matching our speed when he noticed we were overtaking.

After passing the black Corsa, the driver made a judgement that the car further up the road was too close to warrant moving back into the left lane. In hindsight maybe this was incorrect, however it does not excuse the dangerous driving.

After overtaking the Corsa, the Avensis had plenty of opportunity to use the 3rd lane to overtake us safely if he wanted to. Instead he swept back into the left lane and again sped up to match our speed before the undertaking manoeuvre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

this is why i want to get a camera in the back window as well. :D

as long as the lens is a wide angle one (and the one i was looking at seems to either be 120-140 degrees), there would be very little around you that wouldn't be visible on one camera or the other.

also, the mischeivious part of me wants to see what the expression actually looks like on the face of someone as they rear end my car. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

You were driving in the overtaking lane throughout that clip - the other guy is a dangerous fool though

born2bwild wrote: »
    You were driving in the overtaking lane throughout that clip - the other guy is a dangerous fool though
    he's already said that the other guy (the dangerous fool) accelerated so that he was alongside him for pretty much the whole time preventing them from pulling in, except for the bit after they passed the black corsa, which the driver had judged would have been a pointless exercise to pull in and then have to pull out again to overtake the next car in the inside lane.

to put it into perspective (the sped up portion covers this up a little bit), the time was 13:52:30 when they passed the corsa and 13:52:59 when you can see the avensis coming up the inside on the left, so was only just 30 seconds in total between them passing the black corsa and them getting cut up by the avensis driver and that's not even taking into account the amount of time the avensis would have spent cutting in again behind them and speeding up their inside before you can see him.

also bear in mind that the perspective is going to be skewed by the wide angle lens on the dashcam, making the distances between the cars look further than they actually were.

yes *maybe* they could have pulled in after overtaking the black corsa, but as always in those kinds of situations it's a judgement call and personally i don't think they had any wrongdoing there at all given the circumstances (traffic levels and spacings etc.) and times involved.

the avensis driver is an a**ehole though, he could have easily passed on the outside but chose to act the bollix instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Alternatively, once he saw the Avensis was acting the twat, why not just decelerate a bit and slot in behind him?

Just playing devils advocate, but is it not up to all of us to watch out for our own safety?

If someone is behaving the way the avensis driver did then either floor it and get the hell away from his stupid carry on, or drop back and let him carry on with his twattishness

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Alternatively, once he saw the Avensis was acting the twat, why not just decelerate a bit and slot in behind him?

Just playing devils advocate, but is it not up to all of us to watch out for our own safety?

If someone is behaving the way the avensis driver did then either floor it and get the hell away from his stupid carry on, or drop back and let him carry on with his twattishness

Then the Avensis would slow down and the OP would need to overtake again and the whole situation re-occurs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

antodeco wrote: »
    Then the Avensis would slow down and the OP would need to overtake again and the whole situation re-occurs

How do we know?

And if that's what the avensis is doing then just floor it and get well ahead, then back into the driving lane.

After passing the black car he could have returned to the left and allowed the avensis to overtake if needed.The car in front was way too far off,so it would have been easy to return to the left lane and continue on safely.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    After passing the black car he could have returned to the left and allowed the avensis to overtake if needed.The car in front was way too far off,so it would have been easy to return to the left lane and continue on safely.
    at which point, given the way the avensis was driving, he probably would have made a point of doing exactly the same thing and driving alongside them to box them in on the left hand lane once they got close to the gold vectra(?), just to act the bollix like he has already showed he was determined to do.

lots of things *might* have happened given any number of different scenarios, but we only know what actually did happen in the video so anything else is just random speculation of what might have been. as the old saying goes "if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle". :p

i'm sure we can all just agree that the avensis driver was driving like an agressive prick on christmas day when he should have been chilling out listening to chris rea's "driving home for christmas" and enjoying the day that was in it.

i'm just thankful that he's not someone i know because if he drives like that on christmas day, i have no doubt he'd have been a miserable cnut to be around and would no doubt have spent the day ruining christmas for everyone around him and i don't know about you lot, but i had a great chirstmas. :D

vibe666 wrote: »
    at which point, given the way the avensis was driving, he probably would have made a point of doing exactly the same thing and driving alongside them to box them in on the left hand lane once they got close to the gold vectra(?), just to act the bollix like he has already showed he was determined to do.

lots of things *might* have happened given any number of different scenarios, but we only know what actually did happen in the video so anything else is just random speculation of what might have been. as the old saying goes "if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle". :p
    the avensis was held back by the car already in the left lane,the avensis would have had to come into the middle lane and return to the left lane (which is in fact the proper conduct on motorways).In the time the posters car passed the black car,he should have returned to the left lane and let the avensis overtake him in the middle lane or allowed him back in behind him in the left lane.There is now way the avensis could have been stuck behind the black car,overtaken the car and returned to the left lane in the time it took for the poster to pass the black car.What i am trying to say is,after the poster overtook the black car,there was no need for him to be in the middle lane,and there was no way for the avensis to obstruct him after passing the black car.

as for the avensis blocking them in,what does it take to lose a little speed,and have the avensis pass on.

i think you might need to go back and actually read the posts from the OP explaining exactly what the avensis driver was doing leading up to him cutting them up?

he ended up blocking himself in behind the corsa as he was going out of his way to drive like a cnut, speed matching the OP's car just to be annoying after the OP had already overtaken him and he has nobody to blame for that but himself.

regardless of whatever way the OP handled the situation, i have no doubt that someone who drives like that would have made a point of blocking him in if the OP had pulled in simply because that's the kind of driver he is, as clearly evidenced in the video by his actions.

if he wasn't that kind of driver and he had wanted to drive faster than he already was, he'd have just done what a normal sane human being would have done and just driven faster to begin with, then pulled out into one of the freely available and unobstructed overtaking lanes, overtaken everyone and gone on his merry way with no stress or hassle at all on anyone's part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Sorry Afterdusk but you were in the wrong! Its an overtaking lane! You should have pulled in after you passed the corsa! End of! If you did, nothing would have happened! It was caused by your own doing! And before vibe666 says "what if the avensis then blocks him in"...drive like an idiot because someone might box you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

nacimroc wrote: »
    Sorry Afterdusk but you were in the wrong! Its an overtaking lane! You should have pulled in after you passed the corsa! End of! If you did, nothing would have happened! It was caused by your own doing! And before vibe666 says "what if the avensis then blocks him in"...drive like an idiot because someone might box you in?

Eh? Did you watch the video, and read the comment?

Eh? Did you watch the video, and read the comment?

What do you find confusing? In the only 0:54 seconds of video he posted there was 2 points where he should have moved to the inside lane. When you expect people to cross 6 lanes of traffic to pass you because you can't use lanes...you bring it on yourself.

Avensis driver was obviously a dangerous idiot, but it all would have been avoided had they pulled in.

Would be a lot clearer if we had the 5 mins before and after this I reckon!

What do you find confusing? In the only 0:54 seconds of video he posted there was 2 points where he should have moved to the inside lane. When you expect people to cross 6 lanes of traffic to pass you because you can't use lanes...you bring it on yourself.

Avensis driver was obviously a dangerous idiot, but it all would have been avoided had they pulled in.

Would be a lot clearer if we had the 5 mins before and after this I reckon!

My apologies, I completely missed the black Corsa at 20 seconds in. Yeah, I agree, maybe he should have pulled in after passing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

So you're saying that if someone drives in the middle lane, leaving the right lane totally open and free, you'll undertake them because you think they are wrong and then you'll cut in front of them like a twat... You'll put the lives of everyone around you at risk just because you feel that this person should have moved over. You'll save yourself the 5 or 10 seconds of moving to the 3rd lane by acting a complete and utter d**khead?????

ANYONE who condones the behaviour of the Avensis driver in ANY way needs to take a good look at their own driving because under no circumstances should anyone, be they skilled or not, drive like this. Anything could have happened and several people could have been killed. Men, women and children all put at risk because some vigilante ape thinks he needs to make a point. F**king **sehole!!

EDIT: @nacimroc seemed like you took away the fault of the avensis driver and placed it all on the poster but you did say it was stupid of the avensis driver thankfully. But I don't see how so much blame can lie on the poster? Yes it wasn't the right choice, but you can't blame the poster as much as that...

So you're saying that if someone drives in the middle lane, leaving the right lane totally open and free, you'll undertake them because you think they are wrong and then you'll cut in front of them like a twat... You'll put the lives of everyone around you at risk just because you feel that this person should have moved over. You'll save yourself the 5 or 10 seconds of moving to the 3rd lane by acting a complete and utter d**khead?????

No, you are! Read my post again if its unclear. You expect someone to endanger themselves crossing 6 lanes of motorway because you can't drive properly, then wonder why you made them angry. They are obviously a dangerous idiot as I've said (read again if you need to). All I'm saying is I can understand what made him angry.
    ANYONE who condones the behaviour of the Avensis driver in ANY way needs to take a good look at their own driving because under no circumstances should anyone, be they skilled or not, drive like this. Anything could have happened and several people could have been killed. Men, women and children all put at risk because some vigilante ape thinks he needs to make a point. F**king **sehole!!

I hope your referring to them?

No, you are! Read my post again if its unclear. You expect someone to endanger themselves crossing 6 lanes of motorway because you can't drive properly, then wonder why you made them angry. They are obviously a dangerous idiot as I've said (read again if you need to). All I'm saying is I can understand what made him angry.

I hope your referring to them?

Just fixed my post after seeing your other comment. And it's not really 6 lanes. It's 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 2, 2 to1... it's 2 more changes than usual and FAR less dangerous than what was done. I can understand he would be angry, but can't understand why he made such a risky choice.

I refer to people in general who try and backup the avensis drivers behaviour...

Just fixed my post after seeing your other comment. And it's not really 6 lanes. It's 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 2, 2 to1... it's 2 more changes than usual and FAR less dangerous than what was done. I can understand he would be angry, but can't understand why he made such a risky choice.

I refer to people in general who try and backup the avensis drivers behaviour...

I'm assuming we all know the avensis driver is a prick and it goes without saying. I'm just saying if you poke a dog enough times it will bite! The poster in my opinion antagonised him by incompetent driving. Is that attacking him..sure. But its a valid point!!

I'm assuming we all know the avensis driver is a prick and it goes without saying. I'm just saying if you poke a dog enough times it will bite! The poster in my opinion antagonised him by incompetent driving. Is that attacking him..sure. But its a valid point!!

Yes it's very valid it's just your first phrasing of it gave out a slight hint of defence for the avensis driver and that he was somewhat right in what he did. But yes, the poster was wrong in what they did and it would p*ss me off no end but what the avensis driver did would have a tenfold effect on me. The poster would have maybe gotten a fixed penalty notice at a push (Assuming they pulled back in lane soon enough) but the avensis driver would face a day in court for sure. Especially with the gap he cut through! Shocking stuff but unfortunately it's an everyday occurrence... I'd love if every car had a dash cam. Imagine the years of footage you'd have every month of dangerous driving :eek:

I'm still finding it hard to reconcile the OPs claim to 70 (mph I assume) in the middle lane and their agitation with the black Avensis when the "apparently" rocket launched "gold volvo" caused no concern whatsoever.

• Advertisement

half the drivers on the road in ireland spend their entire driving lives in the middle overtaking lane. on a busy road they are the scourge of every other driver as they leave the perfectly good inside lane empty and cause traffic that should be able to pass them to get backed up on the outside overtaking lane.

BUT on christmas morning on a nearly empty 3 lane motorway someone driving in the middle lane for 30 seconds (and it was only literally only 30 seconds if you check the timing on the video) after overtaking someone when the other carriageways are clear is nothing more than a very VERY mild inconvenience to any sane, rational human being and anyone who thinks it's okay to be tearing up the inside of someone and cutting them up in this situation shouldn't be on the roads themselves.

Wow, I'm sorry I posted the video now with all the agro it's causing.. :eek:

I explained in my two posts above exactly what happened and what you can't see off camera. Also as someone correctly stated earlier the camera has a fisheye lens, so distances are difficult to guage.

I was in the car at the time and I know what happened. Like I said above, maybe in hindsight the driver (I was just the passenger) could have moved back to the left lane after passing the black Corsa, but the distance between that and the other car ahead in the left lane was shorter than it appears in the video. The driver therefore made a decision to stay in the overtaking lane, as he believed that the time taken to catch the car ahead didn't warrant moving back to the left lane - maybe that decision was wrong.

We can all look back in hindsight and say what should(n't) have been done. But please don't make out like the driver is an idiot, or that we caused the situation by staying in the centre lane. I'm sure many of you have made errors of judgement in the past similar to this. Us not moving back into the left lane is no excuse for the Avensis drivers actions. He had ample time and space to use the 3rd lane to overtake, as I said earlier.

unfortunately that's the problem with boards.ie, it's full of 'high horse' armchair critics with 20/20 hindsight and perfect driving records who've never made any mistakes in their lives with nothing better to do than pull apart and criticise every little thing anyone posts on the forums (and it's not just the motoring forum, they're everywhere).

fortunately there are still plenty of users here who realise that we are only human and that everyone makes mistakes and that a little perspective goes a long way. :)

obviously though you'll probably think twice next time before you (figuratively speaking) drop your trousers and bend over on the forums. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

how much for a decent dashcam or is it better to just use an app like car camera dvr?

how much for a decent dashcam or is it better to just use an app like car camera dvr?
    i used to use autoguard blackbox myself (an android app), but i've since come round to the idea that a dedicated dashcam is the way to go. however, just as a test, to see how you like it in practice, by all means download an app for your phone, there are several free ones available.

it's only a little thing to stick your phone into a windscreen mount, plug in your car charger and turn on your dashcam app, but it will get to be tedious eventually and sooner or later you'll either forget to do it once or just not bother at all after a while and sods law says that it'll be the time you really need it when it won't be turned on. :)

you can pick up a simple dashcam for about €15 quid delivered off aliexpress or ebay these days and memory cards to record to are also very cheap, you could be up and running for under €20 with a low budget basic model to start off with and see how you go from there.

if it's something you decide you want to invest some more time and money in, you can upgrade to a 720p or 1080p HD one with built in GPS at a later time and sell on the old one or give it to a friend.

• Advertisement

Fine, make mistakes. But don't post a bloody video showing where you pissed off someone into driving like a dick because you don't understand how to drive!

You sound like you got some anger issues caused maybe by an incident in the past tbh so I won't feed you anymore.
    yeah, i'm pretty sure i'm not the one with rage issues here mate, nice try deleting your other post though.

234139.jpg

deciding to not pull in from the middle lane of a 3 lane motorway on an otherwise almost empty road on christmas day after overtaking one car for a gap of only 30 seconds before the next one where you would need to pull out again is nothing more than a minor oversight and shouldn't qualify as **** driving in anyone's book and if you think it does, maybe YOU should be the one getting off the road. :rolleyes:

EDIT: actually both of them. :D

did you realise you were getting unjustifiably angry over nothing? ;)

Nope. Just decided I wouldn't feed the troll.

oh right, troll yes that'll be it. :rolleyes:

you might want to look up the word troll because i don't think you understand what it actually means.

Let's just end the whole argument and agree that the Avensis driver is a complete tosser and over reacted to the situation hugely and the poster (Technically his mate) may have made an error in staying in the middle lane BUT there was still a 3rd lane there to be used and it doesn't excuse the avensis driver in the slightest.

At the end of the day, the poster won't cause a pile up/ huge collision (The person that goes to overtake them might due to crossing lanes but that would be there fault for not checking mirrors/ blind spots) but the avensis has a very high chance of causing a massive collision due to tailgaiting, undertaking and whatever cutting between cars would be called (I'll just call it dangerous driving).

I do think it is unfair to say the driver in the video was driving sh*te though as we do not really know all the facts as to how long he was truly in the middle lane while the left lane was clear, but IMO he had time to pull left but again I'm only speculating as to what was happening.

Now... anyone else got some vids? :D

sounds good to me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Not an incident, just some sample footage from my newly obtained SmartCam 2 HD.

Quality is excellent during the day, decent at night too.
    Youtube downgrades the quality, but looking at around 700MB avi per 5 minutes of video on the highest setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Hi I have a Nokia Lumia 800 smart phone can this be used as a dash cam and what would be the best holder for the windscreen. And where would I get a holder Thanks.

Hi I have a Nokia Lumia 800 smart phone can this be used as a dash cam and what would be the best holder for the windscreen. And where would I get a holder Thanks.

A little expensive but I'm a big fan of the Tetrax.
    Depends on the shape of your dash etc though.

http://www.tetrax.com/en/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Not an incident

BUT IT'S ONE WAITING TO HAPPEN!!

You are going far too fast, what if a child had ran out in front of you? The music is way too loud, and what is it 1992??? What if a child heard that with their delicate little ears? You obviously have your fog lights on, think of the children's eyes, you're breaking to hard, You're cornering to cornerish, what if a child was cornering? You're tires are obviously bald, what about the kids? You people disgust me. You just made me get a little sick in my mouth.

You should be taken outside and shot.

Twice.

In the context I assume it was intentional, but I still feel obliged

;-)

http://www.totootwo.com/

http://www.youryoure.com/

John_Rambo wrote: »

You are going far too fast, what if a child had ran out in front of you? The music is way too loud, and what is it 1992??? What if a child heard that with their delicate little ears? You obviously have your fog lights on, think of the children's eyes, you're breaking to hard, You're cornering to cornerish, what if a child was cornering? You're tires are obviously bald, what about the kids? You people disgust me. You just made me get a little sick in my mouth.

Twice.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »

Twice.

Somebody has had too much red meat over the holidays. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Somebody has had too much red meat over the holidays. :rolleyes:

I didn't think I'd have to tell people it was a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Jaysus....

alproctor wrote: »
    Jaysus....

WOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I use the holder on the sun visor to hold a pocket DVR. Passenger side like.

squod wrote: »
    I use the holder on the sun visor to hold a pocket DVR. Passenger side like.

What type is that anywhere can get one thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

What type is that anywhere can get one thanks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kodak-PlayFull-1080P-Stabilisation-Built/dp/B004LFKU6E

That yoke was 50 or 60 quid one day in the argos clearance section online. 2hr battery life or longer. Keep an eye out like.

Sun visor is the flappy yoke you use once a year in Ireland to prevent glare from the sun. Think it's the correct name for it?

CiniO wrote: »
    I went for 720p.
    Picture quality is quite good I must say. Great on sunny day, and even during the night where street lighting is present quality is good.
    On dark roads, when you have headlights on, you can see some distance in front of the car on the video, but it's less than you really see while driving.

Here's sample video quality during the sunny day. Switch it to 720p to get full view.
    Not sure if you know this already, but Micksgarage are using your footage, and have put their own watermark on it.

Just hit watch video in the link. I knew I recognised the video from somewhere.

http://www.micksgarage.com/interior-car-accessories/gadgets/?gclid=CLXLoaW8w7QCFUqV4QodQH8ARQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

CiniO wrote: »
    I went for 720p.
    Picture quality is quite good I must say. Great on sunny day, and even during the night where street lighting is present quality is good.
    On dark roads, when you have headlights on, you can see some distance in front of the car on the video, but it's less than you really see while driving.

Here's sample video quality during the sunny day. Switch it to 720p to get full view.

Not sure if you know this already, but Micksgarage are using your footage, and have put their own watermark on it.

Just hit watch video in the link. I knew I recognised the video from somewhere.

http://www.micksgarage.com/interior-car-accessories/gadgets/?gclid=CLXLoaW8w7QCFUqV4QodQH8ARQ
    CiniO; send an invoice to the website for them using your video :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement