Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

http://youtu.be/zKLuyuEijJQ

My first dash cam vid :D Little bit of talgaiting after the 1 minute mark and not very good overtaking tbh but nice drive other that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

My first dash cam vid :D Little bit of talgaiting after the 1 minute mark and not very good overtaking tbh but nice drive other that :)

What's that version of 'Numb' at the start of the clip?

alproctor wrote: »
    What's that version of 'Numb' at the start of the clip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW-50B9ztS0

That's my acoustic covers CD haha pretty much just old songs with random people singing them that I thought were very good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As an FYI, the last bit of http://youtu.be/zKLuyuEijJQ is what goes between the youtube boxes, so you get;

• Advertisement

@syco: Thanks for that! Confused me a bit so I put it down to my computer. Useless builder blames his tools ay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

squod wrote: »

Sun visor is the flappy yoke you use once a year in Ireland to prevent glare from the sun. Think it's the correct name for it?

Yes - I believe that big yellow thing in the sky that we see sometimes is called the sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Not precisely on topic, but this blasted past me on the M6 westbound just before Kinnegad today. Timestamp is 1 hour off, as the camera still is set to summer time.

Looks like the irish Garda have themselves a nice unmarked E61 Touring of some kind. And it was fairly feckin' moving.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

Marlow wrote: »
    Not precisely on topic, but this blasted past me on the M6 westbound just before Kinnegad today. Timestamp is 1 hour off, as the camera still is set to summer time.

Looks like the irish Garda have themselves a nice unmarked E61 Touring of some kind. And it was fairly feckin' Moving

/M

You having separation pangs over your red one? ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm pretty sure you can buy the yoke that makes your lights do that on ebay. it could just be some gobsheen got them fitted because he got fed up of waiting for people lane hogging to pull in. :pac:

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure you can buy the yoke that makes your lights do that on ebay. it could just be some gobsheen got them fitted because he got fed up of waiting for people lane hogging to pull in. :pac:

This is an ERU car and also had blue flashers at the front.

Not to mention, that if you did this to a non Garda car and were caught, you'd be in serious trouble.

Also, if people would keep left, as they're supposed to by law, and didn't have an opinion like yours, then emergency and garda vehicles could get to their destination quite a lot quicker instead of being held back all the time.

One more reason to keep the overtaking lane free, when the driving lane is wide open.

/M

deandean wrote: »
    You having separation pangs over your red one? ;-)

Hehe. I sort of miss it, but then again, I still have the other bimmer. As a daily, even a X5 wouldn't be suitable for what I do.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

This is an ERU car and also had blue flashers at the front.

Not to mention, that if you did this to a non Garda car and were caught, you'd be in serious trouble.

Also, if people would keep left, as they're supposed to by law, and didn't have an opinion like yours, then emergency and garda vehicles could get to their destination quite a lot quicker instead of being held back all the time.

One more reason to keep the overtaking lane free, when the driving lane is wide open.

/M
    i think your sarcasm meter is broken. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Looks like the irish Garda have themselves a nice unmarked E61 Touring of some kind. And it was fairly feckin' moving.

Pretty stupid speed to be doing in a Touareg on what appears to be a fairly damp road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

ironclaw wrote: »
    Pretty stupid speed to be doing in a Touareg on what appears to be a fairly damp road.

BMW E61 Touring.

Where did you see a Tuareg ??

/M

BMW E61 Touring.

Of course it is :o Too many tabs open!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Another review from Techmoan

About 45 euro to Ireland LINK (This is where Techmoan bought his camera.)

Pros:
    A bit more discreet than the other dash cams.
    Not expensive
    Picture quality quite good at 720p, low light and night time.
    No missing frames when clips are joined. (see video from 8mins )

Cons:
    Seems to be designed for left hand drive cars.
    Sound crackles
    1080p modes are recorded at 15fps and 10fps so picture quality not great.
    Quite big, 30cm, so can effect sun visors.

On road review starts at 6 mins.

WmqRP.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Not exactly a close one, but another asshole truck driver on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Had a close one on the M7 tonight where a Daewoo had a blow out and nearly took the car out it was overtaking & also if I had been closer me too.

The car spun at least 2 times hitting the center cable crash barrier and ended up sideways on the overtaking lane which nobody would have seen.

All I could do was pull out and hit the hazard lights and kept flashing brake lights as to warn the many other vehicles coming behind as there were no lights.

I checked to make sure they were ok and waited till they were able to clear the car off to the slightly safer place of the hard shoulder.

Sorry no video as still have to set up my new camera. Just shows you anything can happen at any time.
    All I can say is please make sure whatever car you drive get decent tyres and keep them maintained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

M1 Roundabout Junction 10 this morning. Roundabout Skillz

Dingatron wrote: »
    M1 Roundabout Junction 10 this morning. Roundabout Skillz

What dash cam are you using by the way? Fairly decent low level light on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lome

So im looking to get one of these.can someone please tell me where is the best place to buy one and what should i be looking for in it? Not looking to spend much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

What dash cam are you using by the way? Fairly decent low level light on it.

Hi ironclaw

That's the BlackVue DR380G-HD cam. I think its one of the better ones out there quality wise. I got it on Amazon/Parcel Motel for £150 STG. It's gone up to £160 now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009XT57EI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Lome wrote: »
    Not looking to spend much

Buy cheap, buy twice. Honestly. If you invested €150 in a very good camera it could save you ten times that in an insurance claim. Don't buy the cheap stuff as its just rubbish. The video immediately above that I asked about is one of the best I've seen.

Caught this stupid taxi driver today. I left space becuase I was going to let him go ahead exiting the roundabout first.

Also caught a Polo acting a bit "smart" on the same roundabout.

Was recorded in 720p and had to edit to put the two clips together so thats why is skips half way through.

So much for a "professional" driver, eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Seems to be typical behavior in a roundabout in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

Sad thing is incidents like that dont even register with me anymore. Every day Im queuing up with 90% of other motorists in the left lane entering a small roundabout who are going to go straight/left, 10% go to the right lane, over take all of us (sometimes over take on the roundabout itself) and proceed to go straight. Very dangerous, all for the sake of 5 extra mins.

We really need to re-test people every 10 years at least.

illumin wrote: »
    Sad thing is incidents like that dont even register with me anymore. Every day Im queuing up with 90% of other motorists in the left lane entering a small roundabout who are going to go straight/left, 10% go to the right lane, over take all of us (sometimes over take on the roundabout itself) and proceed to go straight. Very dangerous, all for the sake of 5 extra mins.

I see them do it even when there's only 3 cars on the left. Saves them a maximum of a minute I'd say. A$$holes

Don't think re-testing will actually fix the problem though as they know it's wrong so they wouldn't do it on test day unless they're complete morons... it may take a few of the poorer drivers off the road though, especially if they tested motorway and primary road driving as well. Give heavy marks for people that constantly do 60kmh :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

illumin wrote: »

Re-testing won't help, these people know bloody well what they're doing is wrong, they're just ****.
    Every time I say to myself that I'll just ignore it, that I should be mature about it, but when I see someone beside me in the "turn right" lane, who I know is going to race me across the roundabout I can't help it. Pink mist descends and I go into Mad Max mode, or to be more precise "two go in, one comes out". It is really the only thing where my rational thinking and sanity goes out the window and I go full banzai.
    And the amount of fingers I've been give, fists waved at me, followed with full lights and horn blaring, my picture taken, 1 inch from my bumper, trying to overtake me, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that I have managed to annoy some arsehole wanker to the point of him nearly getting a stroke.
    I know I probably need help, but I cannot stand these ****, it is like a red rag to a bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Can anyone tell me how to convert files recorded by the Roadhawk 1 ?
    i want to convert to avi or mp4 but cannot find any programme (other than a screen capture) that will convert the files, they are recorded in the format
    " .ub1 " which, from what i can gather is roadhawk specific. :(:(
    i want to be able to u/l to youtube as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Try this:

http://www.ubone.co.kr/cs/etc_view.asp?page=1&num=9&keyword=&s_word=

Not sure if works, as have no file to test it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

So much for a "professional" driver, eh?

The only link between taxi drivers and professional driving, is financial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

eh what was wrong with that, you look to be speeding op. he wasnt driving a bike as in you could have slowed a little when you saw him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

joujoujou wrote: »
    Try this:

http://www.ubone.co.kr/cs/etc_view.asp?page=1&num=9&keyword=&s_word=

Not sure if works, as have no file to test it on.

yeah i found that earlier myself via another route but it wouldn't install properly, so just went back via your link and it installed the player, but the codec was missing to save as avi,but it automatically installed it when i tried to save so all is good i can now save as avi, thanks.

Email the company with a link to the youtube video with the location, date and time. F**k the drivers job; if they're not taken off the road, it's only a matter of time before they wipe someone off the road :mad:

the_syco wrote: »
    Email the company with a link to the youtube video with the location, date and time. F**k the drivers job; if they're not taken off the road, it's only a matter of time before they wipe someone off the road :mad:

You think they should be taken off the road based on a single incident?

Bruthal wrote: »
    Breaking a red light at full speed (it was green on yllw.ldbttr side coming up to it, so it's not like it "just turned amber" on the other side, it seems like it was no accident. So yes, I do think they should be taken off the road for such dangerous driving.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Breaking a red light at full speed (it was green on yllw.ldbttr side coming up to it, so it's not like it "just turned amber" on the other side, it seems like it was no accident. So yes, I do think they should be taken off the road for such dangerous driving.

You best get emailing so. By the end of the year, you will have the roads to yourself.

It also looks like the truck could have had a green light, he might have just turned across the video car, from the same road.

If it was me, id have just slowed, none of this long duration beeping.

Breaking a red light deliberately, in a truck, while he clearly saw oncoming traffic and still decided to drive across my lane, so that he could get home 20 seconds earlier?

Yes, I do, **** him.

Irrelevant to this argument but I had my two year old daughter in the car at the time, so he's basically deciding, whether consciously or not, that his arrival home a few seconds earlier is more important than the safety of any other road user.

cats.life wrote: »
    eh what was wrong with that, you look to be speeding op. he wasnt driving a bike as in you could have slowed a little when you saw him.

If this is your analysis of the situation I suggest you have a sit down and good read of the ROTR, as you clearly have no grasp of them.

Breaking a red light deliberately, in a truck, while he clearly saw oncoming traffic and still decided to drive across my lane, so that he could get home 20 seconds earlier?

Yes, I do, **** him.

Irrelevant to this argument but I had my two year old daughter in the car at the time, so he's basically deciding, whether consciously or not, that his arrival home a few seconds earlier is more important than the safety of any other road user.

Well I dont know what junction it is, but is the truck not on the same road coming the opposite way through green lights too, rather than red?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Well I dont know what junction it is, but is the truck not on the same road coming the opposite way through green lights too, rather than red?

Can we get an emergency translator here stat?

taking a guess at what you mean, you're saying the truck has a green light as he's on the same road as the OP, well that still doesn't allow him to cross the Op's lane nearly causing a crash.

Opinicus wrote: »
    Can we get an emergency translator here stat?
    Its an emergency to translate now?
    taking a guess at what you mean, you're saying the truck has a green light as he's on the same road as the OP,
    Emergency over. Any spelling mistakes?
    well that still doesn't allow him to cross the Op's lane nearly causing a crash.
    I never said it did. But their is a fair difference between coming to a green light and taking a turn a bit quick across an oncoming car, and breaking a red light to do the same.

The poster was blasting the horn a full 3 seconds before stopping, so had plenty of time to see what was happening. Again, perhaps your super-stat translator will tell you that that does not mean I am of the view that the truck driving was great.

I posted a streetview link above but I'm not sure how the lights work there.

I posted a streetview link above but I'm not sure how the lights work there.

Me either, was just pointing out that its possible, if not likely, that the truck went through a green light rather than the red claimed by posters, and just mis-judged speed and distance of the cam car. It didnt seem like a huge emergency braking by the car anyway.

Junction does look a bit dodgy if both truck and car had green lights all the same, so maybe the truck did have a red light.

A meal made of it imo anyway. Forget blasting the horn for long durations, and just drive on.

Me either, was just pointing out that its possible, if not likely, that the truck went through a green light rather than the red claimed by posters, and just mis-judged speed and distance of the cam car. It didnt seem like a huge emergency braking by the car anyway.

Junction does look a bit dodgy if both truck and car had green lights all the same, so maybe the truck did have a red light.

I've already said it did have a red light, I know the junction and I drive it everyday.
    Forget blasting the horn for long durations, and just drive on.

I disagree fundamentally here, allowing idiots like this to drive as they please endangering others without so much as a protest or warning (a horn in this case) only leads them to think that what they are doing is acceptable.

A meal made of it imo anyway. Forget blasting the horn for long durations, and just drive on.

Think I agree with your point.

Studied Kenny's link to the street view and by the looks of things they were both on green so the trucker didn't blow a red. If you view it from the truckers side on the street view, a silver nissan primera (I think) is approaching the OP's set of lights. Keep going backwards and you'll see that the truckers sides lights stay green but the silver nissan continues thru his set as well, so unless everyone just ignores red lights in that area, the OP and the trucker both had a green and the trucker just mis-judged OP's speed or expected OP to give him a chance to get across.

At the end of the day, drivers are supposed to expect the unexpected, and if the unexpected happens they are supposed to do their best to react to the situation. I don't see the OP doing their best there tbh and it was a very tame incident and there was a HUGE amount of time to react early so extremely minor IMO.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement