Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That silver Nissan has stopped, just after the Kia goes through, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

That silver Nissan has stopped, just after the Kia goes through, no?

No it continues further but the Kia and the picture move faster than it...

Go a little further and there are pictures from a different day and you can see truckers set are green but there is a stream of traffic coming from OP's direction also...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Well if the poster says he knows the junction well, who are we to argue.

I dont know how many times I had trucks go out in front of me on roundabouts, but I just slow or stop. No big deal, and continue on then. Feck the long duration horn blasts. They achieve nothing. People that regularly do it, will say different.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Watergrasshill,+Ireland&hl=en&ll=52.01051,-8.345618&spn=0.021845,0.045962&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=56.768363,94.130859&oq=watergrasshill&t=h&hnear=Watergrasshill,+County+Cork,+Ireland&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.010002,-8.346207&panoid=QT5RCB8eZ7rsb4xPdu_P5w&cbp=12,35.55,,0,5.88

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Watergrasshill,+Ireland&hl=en&ll=52.01051,-8.345618&spn=0.021845,0.045962&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=56.768363,94.130859&oq=watergrasshill&t=h&hnear=Watergrasshill,+County+Cork,+Ireland&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.010002,-8.346207&panoid=QT5RCB8eZ7rsb4xPdu_P5w&cbp=12,35.55,,0,5.88

I think that shows that the nissan moved through his set of lights after the Kia

^This also shows stream from OP's side coming thru with a jeep at truckers side (Land rover me finks) indicating right while waiting at green light.

EDIT: that didn't work :/ Seems google street view link doesn't change as often as I thought... it can be seen if you go thru truckers side road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

dash cams are funny sometime, they always make it look like you are going faster then you really are, in that video it did seem like the car was not slowing down or stopping, an almost "right of way warrior" attitude, but it was probably just the dash cam making it look that way. I know if a truck was moving fast in front of my car I would stop straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

i have driven that junction a few times as have family in watergrasshill.
    the junction would be near enough a T junction,
    when the road the op comes from is green the lights for the traffic on the right and on the left are red.

when the lights are green for the traffic on the right ( truck side ) and left side.
    the light is then red for the op.

edit, was this junction not questioned a year or two ago due to the same reason.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    i have driven that junction a few times as have family in watergrasshill.
    the junction would be near enough a T junction,
    when the road the op comes from is green the lights for the traffic on the right and on the left are red.

when the lights are green for the traffic on the right ( truck side ) and left side.
    the light is then red for the op.

Bit of dodgy driving by the truck alright so.

just looked at the video again.
    there seem to be new road markings I have never seen before.
    so it could be that they have amended the junction.
    meaning the truck had a green light to go down the road the op came from, but had a turning box to wait in if he wanted to go the way he went.

rameire wrote: »
    just looked at the video again.
    there seem to be new road markings I have never seen before.
    so it could be that they have amended the junction.
    meaning the truck had a green light to go down the road the op came from, but had a turning box to wait in if he wanted to go the way he went.

Actually since street view was made a few year ago it could be the case that they changed the order of the traffic lights in which case the OP was 100% correct in what they did.

@ OP, any chance you'd know if they changed the order of the lights in the past few years? Just out of curiosity... really didn't mean to head into this much detail about the video. Getting more off topic every post :pac:

• Advertisement

its only been done in the last 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

@ OP, any chance you'd know if they changed the order of the lights in the past few years? Just out of curiosity... really didn't mean to head into this much detail about the video. Getting more off topic every post :pac:

That street view pic is 2-3 years old I would estimate.
    That junction has been re painted at least twice, has had a roundabout constructed and since removed, and has had light sequence changes as well as filter arrows put in place and removed again.

As above, I've posted my version of events, noting it not a big deal, but an ignorant and careless asshole truck driver from the start.
    What anyone else chooses to believe is their call.

I'm out.

but an ignorant and careless asshole driver from the start.

Like most drivers sometime or other.

Have had too many close calls over the last month so decided to give my iPhone 5 + witness app a go. I got a pretty simple suction holder that swivels 360 degrees. Fits nicely behind my rear view mirror and is hardly noticeable from the drivers seat.

I will get a picture of it soon. Heres a quick upload of some footage. Ideally i should sort the aspect ratio and quality before uploading to youtube, but straight dump.

Very impressed!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

How accurate is that speedo likely to be if it's been calculated on the GPS, I tend to find a difference of 10km/h between my phone's GPS (Sygic on a Sony Xperia S) and my cars speedo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

GPS is way more accurate than car's speedo.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    How accurate is that speedo likely to be if it's been calculated on the GPS, I tend to find a difference of 10km/h between my phone's GPS (Sygic on a Sony Xperia S) and my cars speedo.

Car speedo`s tend to over read, which is by design.

The gps will be accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

cisk wrote: »
    Have had too many close calls over the last month so decided to give my iPhone 5 + witness app a go. I got a pretty simple suction holder that swivels 360 degrees. Fits nicely behind my rear view mirror and is hardly noticeable from the drivers seat.

I will get a picture of it soon. Heres a quick upload of some footage. Ideally i should sort the aspect ratio and quality before uploading to youtube, but straight dump.

Very impressed!.

Nice, good quality for phone.

I wont argue , just clarify ...... , when you turn right (1:55) , there was a green light, but no arrows, so in my understanding you have to go to middle of crossroads , and turn right, when safe to do, you no need to stay and wait at lights for green right arrow. (Some times I am going mad, when people does that).

the way you were turning (in video), is if there would be green straight arrow lit , and you have to wait for right turn arrow.

I know what you mean, but on that particular road/turn (rock road) it has high amount of traffic heading towards town. You hardly ever get a gap to take the right.

The reason why i am stopped where i am is you can see the squares on the ground where the sensors are. If i move ahead which i have done meany of times the lights will skip the sequence of my arrow and allow traffic from booterstown avenue to go ahead. Leaving me stuck in the middle.

I do keep an eye up the road for gaps, when one comes i go for it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Just ordered one of these:

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/214758499.html
    DOD F500LHD with Full HD 1080P 30FPS

Caught this very bad driving earlier. The lights had changed to green for about 5 seconds, before the Corsa comes from the right and break their red lights.

Luckily, the van and Avensis (?) driver didn't pull out too quickly and avoid what would have been a pretty bad collision. Hard to see in the video, but the Corsa was going quite fast!

Set it to 1080p/720p and put it full screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Caught this very bad driving earlier. The lights had changed to green for about 5 seconds, before the Corsa comes from the right and break their red lights.

Luckily, the van and Avensis (?) driver didn't pull out too quickly and avoid what would have been a pretty bad collision. Hard to see in the video, but the Corsa was going quite fast!

Set it to 1080p/720p and put it full screen.

yea, that crossroad at millenium park is some times pain in @rse. every day driving there number times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Watch the taxi coming from the left going through the roundabout. Doesn't look too bad but I left some rubber back there. :-[

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Dingatron wrote: »
    Watch the taxi coming from the left going through the roundabout. Doesn't look too bad but I left some rubber back there.

It took a while to pick out the taxi.
    In fairness he was probably expecting you to head right since you were in the right hand lane of three, I would have moved over to at least the middle lane and probably the left to turn off the roundabout, he would have had less reason to pull out.

I was coming from Swords so I was in the correct lane for the airport and was cutting left when clear of the old Swords Road junction. I only indicated immediately past the turn and the black van spotted me clearly so I don't see anything wrong in how I proceeded. if I was going right he would still have been right on top of me.

It is interesting on what I'd have thought was clear cut bad driving by the taxi is interpreted so differently.

Cedrus wrote: »
    It took a while to pick out the taxi.
    In fairness he was probably expecting you to head right since you were in the right hand lane of three, I would have moved over to at least the middle lane and probably the left to turn off the roundabout, he would have had less reason to pull out.
    True, but assumption is the mother of all fúck ups. OP had right of way regardless of what the taxi thought. And where OP was coming from, it would seem he was in the correct lane to do what he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

is that the national anthem playing?

is that the national anthem playing?

Yes it was and don't ask me what that was about as it just happened to come on the radio. :D

Yes it was and don't ask me what that was about as it just happened to come on the radio. :D

Did you stand for it?

I stood on the breaks I'll tell ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Did you stand for it?

lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Not sure if you know this already, but Micksgarage are using your footage, and have put their own watermark on it.

Just hit watch video in the link. I knew I recognised the video from somewhere.

http://www.micksgarage.com/interior-car-accessories/gadgets/?gclid=CLXLoaW8w7QCFUqV4QodQH8ARQ

Thx for letting me know.
    No I wasn't aware they used the video. They never asked me.

I'll write a nice email to them.

However I can't find this video linked anywhere now from they website, but it still is on youtube on their profile.

CiniO wrote: »
    Thx for letting me know.
    No I wasn't aware they used the video. They never asked me.

I'll write a nice email to them.

However I can't find this video linked anywhere now from they website, but it still is on youtube on their profile.
    No problem. They stopped using it a couple of weeks ago, and recorded their own footage.

I said it to them on twitter, and they said they got the video from the supplier. They claimed it was footage from the smart cam 2. When I replied saying it was your footage from a smart cam 1, they didn't bother replying.

No problem. They stopped using it a couple of weeks ago, and recorded their own footage.

I said it to them on twitter, and they said they got the video from the supplier. They claimed it was footage from the smart cam 2. When I replied saying it was your footage from a smart cam 1, they didn't bother replying.

Heh thanks.

Only person I gave permission to use my footage was ebay guy from Scotland who I originally got smartcam from (smartcamdirect).

He has this video linked to ebay page selling smartcam2.

Besides - except from very nice landscape, this video is nothing special anyway - just a random recording - I think it wasn't even me driving but my wife ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

Absolutely crazy driving. All over the road, no indicating, no seatbelts and caught clearly on camera... :)

power101 wrote: »
    Absolutely crazy driving. All over the road, no indicating, no seatbelts and caught clearly on camera... :)
    Looks like the M50 on any normal day.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭teR_

Watch the taxi coming from the left going through the roundabout. Doesn't look too bad but I left some rubber back there. :-[

Was thinking about setting up a cam, what one are you using / are they difficult to install?

I've a Blackvue DR380G-HD. They are very straightforward to install, see this link for instructions. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15167 I've it hardwired in so no cables in sight and it starts the minute I open my door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Crash earlier today in Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Was everyone OK? Have you offered the footage to the Gardaí?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Jeez,

Looks like one of those many Russian dash cam crashes.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

How come the audio is out of sync with the video Voodoo? youtubes fault? It's a 5 second delay from the crash happening til you hear the smash.

Jeez,

Looks like one of those many Russian dash cam crashes.:rolleyes:

Heh incredible - those things happen in Ireland as well ;)

In fact if as many people had dashcams in Ireland as in Russia, we would probably have the same amount of Irish crash compilations on youtube as we have from Russia.

CiniO wrote: »
    Heh incredible - those things happen in Ireland as well ;)

In fact if as many people had dashcams in Ireland as in Russia, we would probably have the same amount of Irish crash compilations on youtube as we have from Russia.

No. We wouldn't.

No. We wouldn't.

Why do you think so?

flazio wrote: »
    Was everyone OK? Have you offered the footage to the Gardaí?

Everyone was grand. I work 300 metres away, so drove past them, parked at work and ran back and gave the chap in the civic my card if he needed the footage for anything, he thanked me, sounded Polish/Lithuanian, nice chap.
    guttenberg wrote: »
    How come the audio is out of sync with the video Voodoo? youtubes fault? It's a 5 second delay from the crash happening til you hear the smash.

The roadhawk software did that for some reason, it didn't render properly. Can't be arsed chopping it up and re-uploading again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Russian dashcams again but this is one of the worst (as in I thought the guy was a gonner) I've seen for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

As I' m sure you know voodoo be fiesta was in the wrong - there is a slight blind spot at that junction but the filter light does not come on to turn right for about a minute :eek:

Aye, not sure if she even looked though, think she just followed the council van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement