Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

RustyNut wrote: »
    I did read it. This is your perception, I would guess the other people involved in these near misses you keep finding your self in might take a different view.

I do between 500 and 2000 K's a week and could count on one hand the number of close calls I've had in the last year and not allways the other drivers fault, but I do try to learn something from every incident so I can better avoid that situation again.

Your probably like one of the people lane changing along the quays in Dublin dosen't even know there doing it I slam on avoid a side swipe then beep and the person would go on there way not a notion in the world (btw thats a near miss and I avoided it)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭frfintanstack

dickwod1 wrote: »
    The Fiesta didnt pull out in front of it as it wasn't there at the time it only came after the Fiesta pulled out which would give the Fiesta the right of way - A green light does not mean "GO" it means proceed with caution

So its ok to turn into oncoming traffic as long as you get into their lane before the impact?

So its ok to turn into oncoming traffic as long as you get into their lane before the impact?

Now thats a stupid statement - no response

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Your probably like one of the people lane changing along the quays in Dublin dosen't even know there doing it

And what is it that makes you think this ?

And what is it that makes you think this ?

Perhaps this ...
    I do between 500 and 2000 K's a week and could count on one hand the number of close calls I've had in the last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

When did I say I was qualified to determine blame ?
    Although you say the Fiesta is 100% wrong?

Paradox much?

I uploaded that video and you are 100% wrong about the Civic. Unequivocally wrong.

The limit on that road is 60kph, he was travelling about 50kph from my viewpoint, possibly less judging by the relatively low impact.

As already said, the other cars were setting off from the lights, he would have seen the lights change 10 seconds before and hence didn't need to slow down as much,

Fiestas fault, 110% and then some.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

When did I say I was qualified to determine blame ?
    Although you say the Fiesta is 100% wrong?

Paradox much?

Proof is in the pudding one would seem.
    One view of that video and the claims assessor would apportion blame to the fiesta 100%.

I could hazard a guess that the fiesta owner didn't even contest blame.
    It takes some man to view that video Nd blame the civic driver, ill tell you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Really think your way off dickwod1.

The Fiesta is 100% wrong. Unless they had a green filter light and the civic had a red I can't see how the fiesta can be in the right.

When your changing position on the road e.g. turning, lane changing the car moving/making the positional change should only proceed if its safe to do it, it wasn't safe to do so for the fiesta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

KamiKazi wrote: »
    So, 80 pages on, is there a single post here where a dashcam has actually saved that posters ass?

I think not.

I'm not sure how much use my footage of the Dublin bus hitting the cyclist was but it would certainly help the bus driver I would have thought if charges were brought..

maceocc2 wrote: »
    Unless they had a green filter light and the civic had a red I can't see how the fiesta can be in the right.

When your changing position on the road e.g. turning, lane changing the car moving/making the positional change should only proceed if its safe to do it,

Yes agreed but as I have said before the civic wasn't there when the Fiesta pulled out what was he supposed to do when the Civic came straight at him?
    The limit on that road is 60kph, he was travelling about 50kph from my viewpoint, possibly less judging by the relatively low impact.

And if the civic was doing such a low speed (50 kph/ 30 mph) why did he not stop or even slow down?

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    It takes some man to view that video Nd blame the civic driver, ill tell you that.

Well first off I didn't blame the Civic driver I said I thought (an opinion) he was in the wrong because of his speed and second what does "it takes some man to view that and ..." mean?

Well first off I didn't blame the Civic driver I said I thought (an opinion) he was in the wrong

Well that's fair enough, but without fact of a speeding violation it's not the civics fault end of, its all on the fiesta.

Even if the civic was proven to be speeding the fiesta would still be at partial fault.

Even if the civic was proven to be speeding the fiesta would still be at partial fault.

Sorry thats nonsense if that civic was speeding then it is 100% at fault,
    How are you expected to compensate your timing judgement for speeding drivers when your driving normally?

How are you expected to compensate your timing judgement for speeding drivers when your driving normally?

I can assure you it's not nonsense. Part of driving safe is being aware of what others are doing, the fiesta should be able to determine if it's safe to go or not regardless of speed.

Are you saying that you can't determine when to go if a car is breaking the speed limit? Can you compensate if you see an ambulance or Garda car?

I can assure you it's not nonsense. Part of driving safe is being aware of what others are doing, the fiesta should be able to determine if it's safe to go or not regardless of speed.

Are you saying that you can't determine when to go if a car is breaking the speed limit? Can you compensate if you see an ambulance or Garda car?

If cars come around a corner and are all doing around 60 kph and it take 6 seconds for them to pass and theres a gap for you to cross at a junction and you see another car coming around the same corner and you think youve 6 seconds but the car is doing 120 then you have 3 seconds which is not enough - but in your opinion I'd be a fault then!

An ambulance or garda car with sirens and flashing lights are hardly comparable to speeding drivers ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

If cars come around a corner and are all doing around 60 kph and it take 6 seconds for them to pass and theres a gap for you to cross at a junction and you see another car coming around the same corner and you think youve 6 seconds but the car is doing 120 then you have 3 seconds which is not enough - but in your opinion I'd be a fault then!

An ambulance or garda car with sirens and flashing lights are hardly comparable to speeding drivers ...

When you see that car coming up the corner, you have to judge not only distance, but it's speed as well.

I'm starting to see why you keep getting involved in close calls. Being able to roughly judge relative speed and distance is a basic and essential skill for driving.

I'm starting to see why you keep getting involved in close calls. Being able to roughly judge relative speed and distance is a basic and essential skill for driving.
    Yet again not reading posts properly or remembering previous posts - I dont get involved in close calls I AVOIDED near misses caused by OTHERS

Im getting very bored of this nonsense going over the same stuff in circles - unfollowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

Yet again not reading posts properly or remembering previous posts - I dont get involved in close calls I AVOIDED near misses caused by OTHERS

Im getting very bored of this nonsense going over the same stuff in circles - unfollowed

I think he's gotten that but he's trying to say that if you anticipated others more efficiently then these "near misses" wouldn't be so near.

It also depends on what you call a near miss. For example, a guy swerved into my lane at a roundabout yesterday but I'd anticipated this and I backed off just before he cut across me but I don't count this as a near miss as I didn't really have to take any major evasive action... Later on that day I had a fellow overtake on a bend and I had to slam on so he could just get back into his lane- that is what I count as a near miss for sure!

Ok last post on this thread,
    I think he's gotten that but he's trying to say that if you anticipated others more efficiently then these "near misses" wouldn't be so near.
    If he has got it why would he keep misrepresenting what I said then!

It also depends on what you call a near miss. For example, a guy swerved into my lane at a roundabout yesterday but I'd anticipated this and I backed off just before he cut across me but I don't count this as a near miss as I didn't really have to take any major evasive action... Later on that day I had a fellow overtake on a bend and I had to slam on so he could just get back into his lane- that is what I count as a near miss for sure!
    1. I count anything evasive that I have to do to avoid another car crashing into me due to their carelessness as a near miss - like you I dont count slowing down or braking gently
    2. by your own argument of if you anticipated others more efficiently then these "near misses" wouldn't be so near if you had have anticipated the fellow trying to overtake on the bend more efficiently you wouldn't have had to slam on and had a near miss - silly argument imo

Also you've said you had 2 incidents in one day but RustyNut claims he has had less than 5 in one year!

But again as I have said we are simply going around in circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

I'm beginning to think your user name is very apt for you Dickwod. I was not arguing with you, merely trying to resolve the situation. I didn't say you DON'T anticipate others well, I just said it seemed that's all the other poster was saying.

And my point about "What you define as a near miss" was attempting to clear up the extremely small amount of near misses Rustynut claims. He may class a near miss as something more major than you. Maybe a moment where you shout "HOLY SH!T" as opposed to a moment when you might say "bejaysus that was dodgy".

Also depends on the roads you drive. I encounter about one or two a week as I live on a dangerous road where the boy racers tend to have little cruises around the place in their twin cams. There's been 4 serious crashes in the last couple years on the straight outside my house as people drive too fast and hit a small hump in the road, lose control and end up flipping down the embankment off the road into a field.

The time at which you drive also dictates how many idiots you may meet. 9am, people in a rush for work. 5pm, people in a rush home. 1am to 3am, drunk people.

There's many factors that effect how many "near misses" you have so I find Rustynut's estimate of 5 a year somewhat believable...

I'm beginning to think your user name is very apt for you Dickwod. I was not arguing with you, merely trying to resolve the situation. I didn't say you DON'T anticipate others well, I just said it seemed that's all the other poster was saying.

And my point about "What you define as a near miss" was attempting to clear up the extremely small amount of near misses Rustynut claims. He may class a near miss as something more major than you. Maybe a moment where you shout "HOLY SH!T" as opposed to a moment when you might say "bejaysus that was dodgy".

Also depends on the roads you drive. I encounter about one or two a week as I live on a dangerous road where the boy racers tend to have little cruises around the place in their twin cams. There's been 4 serious crashes in the last couple years on the straight outside my house as people drive too fast and hit a small hump in the road, lose control and end up flipping down the embankment off the road into a field.

The time at which you drive also dictates how many idiots you may meet. 9am, people in a rush for work. 5pm, people in a rush home. 1am to 3am, drunk people.

There's many factors that effect how many "near misses" you have so I find Rustynut's estimate of 5 a year somewhat believable...
    Ah you're probably weaving down the Quays with me :)

The Fiesta didnt pull out in front of it as it wasn't there at the time it only came after the Fiesta pulled out which would give the Fiesta the right of way - A green light does not mean "GO" it means proceed with caution
    I know you said you finished with this thread, but IMO this is not true.

So, if this is correct, once I am turning across a lane I automatically get right of way? If true, that means the rights of way are BS and people can turn when they want, as long as there is enough space to fit their car onto an on coming lane?

If you honestly believe this, and have been driving since 97, I don't know how you haven't caused a collision yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

CiniO wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

So you reckon, that person being at fault at the accident is the person who was driving the fastest?

It's RSA logic, doncherknow!
    In the future, after an accident all car logs will be reviewed and whoever drove the fastest will be automatically at fault.
    Can you imagine just how much simpler this will make things?
    It will be called "Gaybo's Law"
    This is down to the well known and scientifically proven fact that speed and nothing else causes accidents.

It's RSA logic, doncherknow!
    In the future, after an accident all car logs will be reviewed and whoever drove the fastest will be automatically at fault.
    Can you imagine just how much simpler this will make things?
    It will be called "Gaybo's Law"
    This is down to the well known and scientifically proven fact that speed and nothing else causes accidents.

Makes sense.
    But I would add driver age to it as other factor.

F.e. two vehicle collide.

Situation 1
    Vehicle A was doing 50km/h.
    Vehicle B was doing 70km/h.
    Verdict: Driver B fault.

But situation 2.
    Vehicle A doing 50km/h but driven by 18 year old lad.
    Vehicle B doing 70km/h but driven by 50 year old woman.
    Verdict: Driver A fault.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

but in your opinion I'd be a fault then!..

Yes, you'd be at fault and your insurance company will pay out every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

How can the Fiesta not be at fault?

He turned right across oncoming traffic and got hit.

The Civic wasn't even going that fast.

Having said that I would have slowed down a bit had I been in the Civic - ten year old fiesta usually equals clueless geriatric/nervous learner at the wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭rocky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

^Excellent choice of music:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

rocky wrote: »
    did ya stop to see if she needed help.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭rocky

No, there were a few people in the bus station to the right that seemed to know her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

cats.life wrote: »
    did ya stop to see if she needed help.?

It's ok, he saw her getting up in the rear-view mirror...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

MarkR wrote: »
    Parenting at it's best.
    Wow, what a stupid driver and parent! Should have their licence taken off them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

For the child's sake you should report this to the Garda. perhaps a visit by them will give the parent something to consider....

W.

Just off the phone. That was shocking driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Haven't seen that since the '80s. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

Wow, what a stupid driver and parent! Should have their licence taken off them!!
    but they used their indicators:D my kids wont let me move unless we are all belted up. i would have got,n the reg and reported the driver. that sort of mindbending stupidity makes me so sick .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

cats.life wrote: »
    but they used their indicators:D my kids wont let me move unless we are all belted up. i would have got,n the reg and reported the driver. that sort of mindbending stupidity makes me so sick .

I thought it was a puppet or something like them nodding head dogs for a mo.

Is the kid actully up on the parcel shelf or sitting in the boot. Either way pretty damn stupid.

Reg is visable in the video btw.

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »

I thought it was a puppet or something like them nodding head dogs for a mo.

Is the kid actully up on the parcel shelf or sitting in the boot. Either way pretty damn stupid.

Reg is visable in the video btw.

Parcel shelf all right. Reg noted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Pretty shocking alright that.......you didn't come to a complete stop at that Stop sign :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Gosh .. i have no camera in my car ... nearly every time, i am on M50, goin to work, I would have something to post on. Today Toyota jump in third line at the front of merc (taxi) ... i was behind that taxi, nearly caused accident in front of me.

Funny is that , that toyota driver realized, he cut the way of taxi, nearly caused accident, kept squeeze in the line, causing taxi hard brake , to avoid accident. and all in 110 "ish" km/h speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Gosh .. i have no camera in my car ... nearly every time, i am on M50, goin to work, I would have something to post on. Today Toyota jump in third line at the front of merc (taxi) ... i was behind that taxi, nearly caused accident in front of me.

Funny is that , that toyota driver realized, he cut the way of taxi, nearly caused accident, kept squeeze in the line, causing taxi hard brake , to avoid accident. and all in 110 "ish" km/h speeds.

I'm the same, everyday i'm faced with near misses. I might try out the iphone app first if i can find my old sat nav mount then get a decent cam.

Most of my near misses happen when people don't use the lanes on a roundabout and cut you off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Ive just had a shocking experience with a driver getting out of his car and trying to open my own car door..

Video on way

Basically, went into the left lane didn't see him indicate until last minute car pillar was blocking. stopped allowed him out.

He stuck his fingers up at me which u can see then jammed on his brakes and got out of his car then attempted to open my car

Excuse the language and yes I did pull out in front of the mondeo but I wasn't waiting around and u can hear me apologise.

what do use think

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Ive just had a shocking experience with a driver getting out of his car and trying to open my own car door..

Video on way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LRLRz4lRoY&feature=youtu.be

Basically, went into the left lane didn't see him indicate until last minute car pillar was blocking. stopped allowed him out.

He stuck his fingers up at me which u can see then jammed on his brakes and got out of his car then attempted to open my car

Kinda scary, but I'd say it was a close one to have a head on crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Video on way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LRLRz4lRoY&feature=youtu.be

Sorry you had to go through that but what happened afterwards ? Looks like you sped past him and almost caused another crash yourself !! :eek:
    (edit - just saw that you apologised to the guy you pulled out in front of, I had the audio switched off, fair play to you for apologising)

Are you a taxi driver? I see the little cards on the dash ..... (just curious as I am being nosey :P)

Did the driver chase after you ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Video on way

Excuse the language and yes I did pull out in front of the mondeo but I wasn't waiting around and u can hear me apologise.

what do use think

Why were his lights flashing like that? Was it an undercover Garda car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

kingtut wrote: »
    Sorry you had to go through that but what happened afterwards ? Looks like you sped past him and almost caused another crash yourself !! :eek:

Are you a taxi driver? I see the little cards on the dash ..... (just curious as I am being nosey :P)

of course I went past I wasn't waiting around LOL.. Had to chance it or else god knows what. Had a girl passenger in the car

You can hear him trying to open the drivers door in the video

Ye im a taxi driver well spotted

Ciaran, Ive no idea why his lights were like that. I presume it was the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Scary alright, he knew what he was doing too blocking you from passing on his left.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement