Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ironclaw wrote: »
    Can you quote an official source for that rule?
    I already did in my previous post, but if an official response to the previous roundabouts thread from the communications manager at the RSA isn't enough to convince you then I doubt anything anyone can say will be enough for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Syllabus wrote: »
    which one?

Witness for the iPhone is the best I've used. Got myself a Roadrunner HD1 now though so no more melting my phone's battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Woman who hates indicators.

I'd take that, but for God's sake, mirror is not only located in bathroom! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

joujoujou wrote: »
    Woman who hates indicators.

I'd take that, but for God's sake, mirror is not only located in bathroom! :eek:

I've had woman and believe it or not - men do this as well.

dutopia wrote: »
    I've had woman and believe it or not - men do this as well.
    Yep. Was a older man driving in this Civic.

Got this on Sunday morning. If I had being going faster, he more than likely would have hit me. Senseless driving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

We don't have a clue how to use roundabouts in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

never mind about using mirrors, he was all over the shop.
    whats INDICATORS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Just started using the witness iPhone app, will be getting a proper dash cam soon but this will do for the time being.

Two things to note in this video, jeep not using lanes and cutting me off and a porsche speeding up the bus lane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

Had to see the lane markings in the video, but was the Civic not in the correct lane for going straight through the roundabout ? You tried to overtake him ?

Got this on Sunday morning. If I had being going faster, he more than likely would have hit me. Senseless driving!

kyote00 wrote: »
    Had to see the lane markings in the video, but was the Civic not in the correct lane for going straight through the roundabout ? You tried to overtake him ?

I know that roundabout, it has two lanes, the civic should have kept to the left lane but just treated the road as a sing lane, much the same as my video execept i was on the opposite side

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

The civic was in the outside lane and cut across once he was on the roundabout. Civic was in the wrong IMO.

Ok, but then so should the car with the camera have been in the left lane ?
    If Civic had stayed in left lane, what does camera car do, pass him on the roundabout ?
    BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I know that roundabout, it has two lanes, the civic should have kept to the left lane but just treated the road as a sing lane, much the same as my video execept i was on the opposite side

I think the ROTR say you should be in the left lane when going straight thro' a roundabout

Civic definately moves across but looks to me both drivers in the wrong
    The civic was in the outside lane and cut across once he was on the roundabout. Civic was in the wrong IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Along with tailgating, this carry on drives me cracked on the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

He didn't save my ass but I think my cam shared my frustration this morning lol :rolleyes: (A truck had kindly stopped to my right leaving the junction wide open to let traffic clear ... or so he thought!)

http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html
    00833827 wrote: »
    Along with tailgating, this carry on drives me cracked on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I think the ROTR say you should be in the left lane when going straight thro' a roundabout

Civic definitely moves across but looks to me both drivers in the wrong
    You can go straight through a roundabout in both lanes.

Left lane: First exit(or before) and straight through.

Right lane: straight through and third exit(or more).

Quite simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Taylor365 wrote: »
    You can go straight through a roundabout in both lanes.

Left lane: First exit(or before) and straight through.

Right lane: straight through and third exit(or more).

Quite simple.

Don't mean to be pedantic but I'm fairly sure that you're only supposed to take the right lane for straight through if it's marked that way on the roundabout.

I understand what you mean, at this particular roundabout there are 2 exit lanes so in practice you can take either the left or right lane to exit straight through as long as everybody is behaving themselves.

Here's the RSA's view on it:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Way i have always looked at it left lane is for left turn and anything up to and including straight on and right lane is everything else.

Obviously this depends on how many exits

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    Don't mean to be pedantic but I'm fairly sure that you're only supposed to take the right lane for straight through if it's marked that way on the roundabout.

I understand what you mean, at this particular roundabout there are 2 exit lanes so in practice you can take either the left or right lane to exit straight through as long as everybody is behaving themselves.

That's my usual take on things but a lot of roundabouts have lanes on them which eventually filter into one lane, its just that people never seem to pay attention to road markings

You can only use the right lane where .....

- the left-hand lane is only for turning left or is blocked or closed, or
    - when directed by a Garda.

Bazzo wrote: »

You can only use the right lane where .....

- the left-hand lane is only for turning left or is blocked or closed, or
    - when directed by a Garda.
    just to make things a little more complicated, the exception is when there are two marked lanes entering and exiting the roundabout if you are going straight on, unless the markings dictate otherwise (such as at the same roundabout coming the opposite way, which the left hand lane is left turn only).

it's meant to facilitate a heavier flow of traffic on larger, busier roads, but is made more difficult where there is a habit of having a lot of 2 lane roads with one lane as a bus lane ending more or less directly before a roundabout and starting again directly afterwards.

technically, although it's within the RoTR, most (well half, if you're irish:P) people would favour the left hand lane entering a roundabout going straight on, but since you'd have been driving in the right hand lane due to the bus lane on your left, you'd need to move to the left lane when the bus lane ends, then move back to the right hand lane once you've come off the roundabout on the other side before the bus lane starts again, so a lot of people (still acting within the RoTR) would just stay in the right hand lane, exiting the roundabout in the right hand lane at the exit to avoid the 2 lane changes.

either way would be correct,but cutting across into someone elses lane on a roundabout is not correct. :)

No I didn't try to overtake him, I maintained same speed as him. However, since the distance he had to travel was longer than mine, we would have exited around the sametime since he entered roundabout first.

I done nothing wrong. I entered roundanout at a speed which most people would, and exiting accordingly before entering bus lane to drive down Blanchardstown Road south (it's a Mon-Satbus lane).

At the end of the day, if it had of resulted in a collision, the Civic would have been at fault, and possibly even charged with careless driving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭b318isp

tk123 wrote: »
    He didn't save my ass but I think my cam shared my frustration this morning lol :rolleyes: (A truck had kindly stopped to my right leaving the junction wide open to let traffic clear ... or so he thought!)

I don't see a L plate, but this person cannot have a full licence - more like half a dozen lessons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

[hillstart video]

Why are you so far out onto the junction that every car coming from your right has to move right to avoid you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

b318isp wrote: »
    I don't see a L plate, but this person cannot have a full licence - more like half a dozen lessons.

Less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Re the roundabout petty bullsh*t, at the end of the day if the civic kept to the left lane there would be no issue.

[hillstart video]

Why are you so far out onto the junction that every car coming from your right has to move right to avoid you?

Have you watched the video and read his post ?

Sweet jebus, if you did that manoevre on your driving test, you would probably fail. Why ?

- you didnt pay sufficient attention to the Yield sign at the entrance to the roundabout
    - Civic man slowed to a stop at the entrance to the roundabout, you caught up with him - changed lane at the last minute (and you DIDNT get into lane early like the rules suggest)
    and then get your knickers in the twist because he cut you off....

No I didn't try to overtake him, I maintained same speed as him. However, since the distance he had to travel was longer than mine, we would have exited around the sametime since he entered roundabout first.

I done nothing wrong. I entered roundanout at a speed which most people would, and exiting accordingly before entering bus lane to drive down Blanchardstown Road south (it's a Mon-Satbus lane).

At the end of the day, if it had of resulted in a collision, the Civic would have been at fault, and possibly even charged with careless driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Kyote00, Either your trolling or have never driven on Irish roads.

- He never changed lane, the civic did. The road splits into 2 lanes approaching the roundabout and the civic cut across the lanes on the roundabout.
    - His speed decreased naturally approaching the roundabout and seeing no traffic coming from the right, proceeded to enter the roundabout.

/End of roundabout discussion, more crazy dash cam vids please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

[hillstart video]

I'm right on the line actually :) They've pulled out to the right to overtake traffic going around the corner to right of me so they don't have to let me or traffic to my left out. A truck stops miles back and happy days - I swing out expecting the micra to sail thru the wide open junction and nothing.... At one stage she looked like she was going to get out another she seemed to be just sitting there?! I reversed back to get enough room to go around the back of her but worried she'd roll back into me. Everyone blasting her out of it too from all directions.

Is there any point reporting it - the reg is in the vid? Can't understand people driving around like this let alone with kids in the back.

Sweet jebus, if you did that manoevre on your driving test, you would probably fail. Why ?

- you didnt pay sufficient attention to the Yield sign at the entrance to the roundabout
    - Civic man slowed to a stop at the entrance to the roundabout, you caught up with him - changed lane at the last minute (and you DIDNT get into lane early like the rules suggest)
    and then get your knickers in the twist because he cut you off....
    This will be me last post on the issue.

1. I did pay sufficient attention to the yeild sign. A yield sign means yield, not stop. Since there were no cars coming from the right, I did yield, and the slowed down and preceded onto the roundabout.

2. I didn't change lanes, so I don't know what you on about me not getting into lanes!

3. He had to slow to a stop since there was traffic on the roundabout, and if he didn't stop he would have caused a collision.

He was in the wrong, end of! Any Irish driver who has a full license will tell you the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭smilgy

Does anyone else hate it when drivers do this ?

@ 1:00

@ 0:23

Both within about 3 minutes of each other. Just seems really unfair to the drivers that drive according to the rules and road layout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Must fix my camera position but here is an idiot parking on double yellow lines and blocking the lane for turning left! (you can see him and the van at 40 seconds) :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Why didn't you just stay in the right lane and drive around him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭rocky

kingtut wrote: »
    Must fix my camera position but here is an idiot parking on double yellow lines and blocking the lane for turning left! (you can see him and the van at 40 seconds) :mad:

so how long did you wait there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I think this thread should be called dash cam drops you in it..:D

Car squeezes into gap which i left for a safe stopping distance, I've seen a lot worse than this to be honest.
    The car then proceeds to undertake with no indication either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

I know that spot well! What camera have you? Quality is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Car squeezes into gap which i left for a safe stopping distance, I've seen a lot worse than this to be honest.
    The car then proceeds to undertake with no indication either

whats an indicator??????havent seen one:D

• Advertisement

hi5 wrote: »
    Why didn't you just stay in the right lane and drive around him?

because I thought he was only stopping for a second and would get back in and drive off, never thought someone would be stupid enough to park there and walk off. Also, the right hand lane is for going straight on or right only which is why I didn't do that straight away.

rocky wrote: »
    so how long did you wait there?

About 10 / 20 seconds, there was traffic in the lane beside me and then the light went red.
    DannyBuoy wrote: »
    I know that spot well! What camera have you? Quality is great.

It's a blackvue, not sure of the model number but I'll check it for you. Oh and thanks :)

RustyNut wrote: »

Or why irish road users don't seem to give a f*ck :mad:

Or why irish road users don't seem to give a f*ck :mad:

That's because they don't need to.
    When was the last time ya heard of anyone getting done for driving in the wrong lane,using a roundabout arseways, not using indicators etc, etc, etc.
    Appart from someone giving the finger or putting you on face tube ther are no consiquences. Just don't be speeding everything else is acceptable.

there should be a rule that you aren't allowed to criticise anyone's own driving on their dashcam footage unless you've posted up 60 minutes of your own flawless driving on youtube first. :D :P

vibe666 wrote: »
    there should be a rule that you aren't allowed to criticise anyone's own driving on their dashcam footage unless you've posted up 60 minutes of your own flawless driving on youtube first. :D :P

I might put some of my own up then.

I might put some of my own up then.
    60 consecutive minutes in city traffic, taken from a full 32gb SD card by another forum user and chosen at random from the cards contents. :p

Lol I would never post videos in here if I didn't have a thick skin.
    No matter what someone posts there will always be someone going off topic or asking silly questions.

Like my video for example, which showed some idiot parking on a double yellow line and completely blocking a left-hand lane - within a few minutes I had one or two questions asked which completely missed the point of the video. At the end of the day parking in a lane and obstructing traffic is stupid.

If someone has an issue with these comments then my advise is either don't post videos or ignore the silly comments and only respond to the intelligent ones :P

vibe666 wrote: »
    60 consecutive minutes in city traffic, taken from a full 32gb SD card by another forum user and chosen at random from the cards contents. :p

With mine I would do well to find 60 seconds with out finding something that could be done better :o. Id never earn my slagging privilege,but sure its only banter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Lol I would never post videos in here if I didn't have a thick skin.
    No matter what someone posts there will always be someone going off topic or asking silly questions.
    True, you'll always get some "BARRY SCOT HERE" questions, even when I posted here after almost got wiped out by a woman driving in the wrong direction on the M4 I got the inane comments.

What is the latest dashcam, ideally decent night view without LEDS, bang for the buck needed. The blackvue ones seem well regarded - but pricey?

• Advertisement

With mine I would do well to find 60 seconds with out finding something that could be done better :o. Id never earn my slagging privilege,but sure its only banter.
    i think i'd have trouble finding more than 60 seconds without me swearing at one of the other nearby (quite often too nearby!) drivers! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement