Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Clearly those lines mean nothing to this truck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

One from yesterday. Almost a daily occurence now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

gutteruu wrote: »

To be fair to the van driver, they are well over half way onto the junction when the Focus arrives. If the Focus had some courtesy it would have slowed a shade (Probably even no need to brake) and the van would have cleared the junction. What goes around, comes around. Happens to all of us when you underestimate the speed (or intentions) of an oncoming car when you cross a junction, bearing in the mind the truck would have obscured his vision of the Focus.

Granted however the van is still wrong to have pulled out in an unsure manner.

Did you watch the same video ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

One from Russia.

76855.gif

Anyone recommend a half decent dashcam which won't cost the earth.Enniscorthy is a goldmine for footage of bad driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

zerks wrote: »

Enniscorthy is a goldmine for footage of bad driving.

Jesus those two bridges used piss me off no end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

At 00:03, the van was stopped, saw the truck going left, and went forward. I know the junction, and it's a bad one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

On the M1 today at the roadworks... bit of a dangerous undertake just before the lanes merge. The speed limit here is supposed to be 60kph as well! What if I sped up as he was passing? He would have crashed through the cones.

He then drives really close to the car on front and changes to the fast lane without speeding up. Silly driving IMO.

Just noticed time and date settings are off, must fix them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭johnnydeep

I see lots of videos of fairly standard driving. makes me think that its a certain type of driver who feels the need to fit a dashcam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

johnnydeep wrote: »
    I see lots of videos of fairly standard driving. makes me think that its a certain type of driver who feels the need to fit a dashcam

Just because its "fairly standard" driving does not mean its correct. There are a lot of bad driving practices on our roads and maybe highlighting them will have a positive effect. A lot of people install dash cams for their own protection too in case of accidents involving the large amount of twits on the road.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

One who wants that extra bit of security against the wall of lying opportunistic bastards? :confused: or do you care to elaborate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

h3000 wrote: »
    Just because its "fairly standard" driving does not mean its correct. There are a lot of bad driving practices on our roads and maybe highlighting them will have a positive effect. A lot of people install dash cams for their own protection too in case of accidents involving the large amount of twits on the road.

Exactly what you said. Yeah it's not exactly a Russian style level of silliness but it shows that if circumstances were a little different it could have caused a bad accident. Why would the driver risk the manoeuvre in my video?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

dutopia wrote: »
    Exactly what you said. Yeah it's not exactly a Russian style level of silliness but it shows that if circumstances were a little different it could have caused a bad accident. Why would the driver risk the manoeuvre in my video?
    Its just plain stupid, to get 1 car space ahead on a motorway.
    I see it everyday and I'm strongly thinking of getting a dash cam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

If I had a dash cam here in Spain, I would have some interesting vids to upload.

Did you know that the rules here are that you take the outside land on a roundabout, no matter which exit you intend to take. this causes some funny stuff! Imagine an artic taking the outside lane all the way round a two lane roundabout, fed by 3 lanes. :D

I was driving along happily the other day only to see a blur that resembled a Bentley Continental back bumper as it flashed past my nose... from lane 3 to the off ramp I was passing.:eek:

The Irish are fantastic drivers compared to some of the stuff that goes on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tyre girl

Can you buy 1 here

I do 50k miles per year and have had enough of idiots trying to kill me on the road which is why I bought one (mine was only 20 quid to be fair). If you think the videos look normal, your need more lessons!

I do 50k miles per year and have had enough of idiots trying to kill me on the road which is why I bought one (mine was only 20 quid to be fair). If you think the videos look normal, your need more lessons!

so they have life saving abilities, now that is amazing. or when you are killed we will be able to view your shockproof dashcam to see what part you played in the caaident

what I see in this video is some knob in a fiesta after nearly coming to a stop behind a lorry, when their view clears a transit that has already start to cross the road. for some unknown reason the knob in the fiesta instead of carefully moving on at a nice gentle pace that would not involve any braking, decides to floor it then stand on the brakes to make some dramatic gesture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

what I see in this video is some knob in a fiesta after nearly coming to a stop behind a lorry, when their view clears a transit that has already start to cross the road. for some unknown reason the knob in the fiesta instead of carefully moving on at a nice gentle pace that would not involve any braking, decides to floor it then stand on the brakes to make some dramatic gesture

Looks to me like a clear case of the driver in the van not looking to his right,probably waving to the car on his left...

you think I need more lessons in what my liecense is full and I don't intend to become a pilot any time soon. I would safely bet I have done more driving than you and have seen some **** driving, especially by people who are convinced they are right

• Advertisement

Kev. wrote: »
    Looks to me like a clear case of the driver in the van not looking to his right,probably waving to the car on his left...

I would say the van driver saw a legitimate chance to pull out and took it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Jesus those two bridges used piss me off no end.

The 'new bridge' is still as bad as ever,it's where we get the "D Reg phenomenon".The yield sign becomes invisible to anybody in a D reg car and they drive straight through into 2 lanes of traffic,cue many near misses and bad language.
    The bridge is due to be removed with a new one going in downstream.
    The top of Weafer St. is another dash cam prime location as people forget that traffic going up it has right of way and drive straight through the junction.

I would say the van driver saw a legitimate chance to pull out and took it

FFS! Van could clearly see fiesta before it came around corner. No excuse. Van waved to apologise as he even knew himself. He didn't move until 0:07. Fiesta did absolutely nothing wrong. Not a thing. Stuck in a traffic jam and moved on at a normal speed. If you think the fiesta did wrong by going to close to the traffic in front in a traffic jam you are trolling. Traffic jams are bumper to bumper. Always.

Its amazing how many people on here jump to the defence of the idiot in videos. Every time anyone posts a clip people nitpick every part to excuse the person in the wrong as everyone said in the last page.

FFS! Van could clearly see fiesta before it came around corner. No excuse. Van waved to apologise as he even knew himself. He didn't move until 0:07. Fiesta did absolutely nothing wrong. Not a thing. Stuck in a traffic jam and moved on at a normal speed. If you think the fiesta did wrong by going to close to the traffic in front in a traffic jam you are trolling. Traffic jams are bumper to bumper. Always.

Its amazing how many people on here jump to the defence of the idiot in videos. Every time anyone posts a clip people nitpick every part to excuse the person in the wrong as everyone said in the last page.
    the fiesta driver has no idea about safe driving I se these knobs every day. never want to give an inch he would have saved petrol and got to where he wanted to go quicker by driving with a bit of cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

In fairness many of the videos posted here are lacking in context or start after the poster has seen something happening but doesn't relay this when posting, it helps when the posters provide locations, speed limits or other restrictions.
    Sometimes of course, the poster IS wrong, ****e drivers can buy dashcams too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

RE: the Van and Fiesta.

The Van could see the Fiesta coming yet continued to roll quite slowly into the junction and into it's path. The hard rule is that if you are going to cause someone else to brake then you don't infringe on their right of way. Of course most people will ease off the gas if they see someone pulling out, they are under no obligation to do so, it's just courtesy and defensive driving. In this case however the car had to come to a complete stop.

The argument that the fiesta should have given way simply because the van had already begun its maneuver doesn't hold up. You should only feel the need to give up your right of way to another vehicle if you can reasonably assess that the driver moving into your path has no chance of seeing you. For example a truck reversing out of an alley, or a car reversing out from behind a van in a car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 patrician

kingtut wrote: »
    Must fix my camera position but here is an idiot parking on double yellow lines and blocking the lane for turning left! (you can see him and the van at 40 seconds) :mad:

That is really bad roadcraft. Obvious lack of experience.

patrician wrote: »
    That is really bad roadcraft. Obvious lack of experience.
    while you could quite clearly see what was happening you chose to sit behind him clearly giving the people behind you no chance of progressing. he was a tool but he wasn't the only one

while you could quite clearly see what was happening you chose to sit behind him clearly giving the people behind you no chance of progressing. he was a tool but he wasn't the only one

But I had to concoct an 'incident' to justify having my dashcam. Ok, I could see what he was up to and I could've made my turn from the lane I was in, but then I'd have nothing exciting to report after being out cruising and listening to my tunes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It would seem that patrician's only purpose is to up johnnydeep's ego with many many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

There was traffic in the right hand lane, then the light turned red. Your response reminds me of many typical drivers whereby if they think they have been wronged then they can do whatever they want in order to try and rectify the situation as in their eyes it's not really their fault.

Are johnnydeep and patrician part of some anti-dashcam brigade that have just formed to prevent this terrible evil from overtaking our fair nation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Opinicus wrote: »
    There was traffic in the right hand lane, then the light turned red. Your response reminds me of many typical drivers whereby if they think they have been wronged then they can do whatever they want in order to try and rectify the situation as in their eyes it's not really their fault.

Agreed.
    Must admit I'd love to see their driving skills if they defend a driver who blocks a left-hand turn and don't see any issue with making an illegal left-hand turn in a lane that is only for going straight on or right :D

In fact the other day I was at a set of traffic lights (in the right lane), left lane is for left only, right lane for straight on only. Lights go green, taxi driver goes from left lane into mine and almost hits me, had to slam on, unfortunately I had forgotten to put the micro-sd card back into my dashcam so no recording of it. I'm guessing that patrician and johnnydeep consider the taxi driver to be in the right in that situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

This is what I caught a week or two ago:

Driving on the wrong side of the road, breaking a red light and taking an illegal turn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

And the nice orderly queue of cyclists in the cycle lane overtaken by one in a hurry turning left across them.

Must admit I'd love to see their driving skills if they defend a driver who blocks a left-hand turn and don't see any issue with making an illegal left-hand turn in a lane that is only for going straight on or right :D

I promise you, the gaping chasm that exists between my skill level and your own will only widen as you age and (hopefully) improve.

Your video makes you look a proper numpty. One day, when you have some driving experience, you may look back at it and be rightfully embarrassed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Your video post makes you look a proper numpty. One day, when you have some driving Boards posting experience, you may look back at it and be rightfully embarrassed.

There you go, ive fixed your post as the wording can be used for or against you on here. No need for a Thank You card at this present moment in time.

I promise you, the gaping chasm that exists between my skill level and your own will only widen as you age and (hopefully) improve.

Your video makes you look a proper numpty. One day, when you have some driving experience, you may look back at it and be rightfully embarrassed.

You wanted me to make an ILLEGAL left hand turn !!!! You are clearly the one lacking in experience !
    I do not claim to be a perfect driver however I know the rules of the road and parking on a double yellow line (and turning left when it is forebidden) are NOT part of the ROTR.

My driving does not make me look like a numpty, it shows what to do in that situation. I was not blocking traffic (the parked van was) and I could not move into the other lane as the light was red and full of cars.

I really hope I never encounter you on the road with your obvious lack of knowledge for the rules of the road.

ando wrote: »
    This is what I caught a week or two ago:

Driving on the wrong side of the road, breaking a red light and taking an illegal turn...

Probably patrician driving, so in that case an excellent example of skilful driving :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭rocky

Let's move on to the next clip, shall we? :D

Check out this micra and my super human skillz :pac: - wasn't expecting him to brake at the green light.

PS. I don't think I've beeped at him - what you hear is on the radio... and has an echo... I think :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Its the Magic Roundabout! If you sat there and videoed that roundabout all day you would see at least a hundred red light breakers from the Dunnes side going to the Galway Shopping centre, surprised there is not more accidents at it, sheer luck really.
    rocky wrote: »

Check out this micra and my super human skillz :pac: - wasn't expecting him to break at the green light.

PS. I don't think I've beeped at him - what you hear is on the radio... and has an echo... I think :)

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

Its the Magic Roundabout! If you sat there and videoed that roundabout all day you would see at least a hundred red light breakers from the Dunnes side going to the Galway Shopping centre, surprised there is not more accidents at it, sheer luck really.
    hah thats on a good day , saw worse one day when a gob ****e stoped at middle of roundbout cos he saw red lite for other lane of traffic..beep beep beep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

Another idiot I came across:

I can see 2 idiots in that clip :)

:eek::eek::eek:

Such erratic and crazy driving! I'm surprised they even bothered with the indicators though :confused:

"I'm indicating so driving like a maniac is ok" :rolleyes:

Nice catch ando !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I can see 2 idiots in that clip :)

Or 3 even ?! ;)

Ken

your driving in the overtaking lane despite not overtaking anything and seem to be struggling to stay in that lane had a few bevvies maybe. at least your headlights appear to be working.

You wanted me to make an ILLEGAL left hand turn !!!! You are clearly the one lacking in experience !
    I do not claim to be a perfect driver however I know the rules of the road and parking on a double yellow line (and turning left when it is forebidden) are NOT part of the ROTR.

My driving does not make me look like a numpty, it shows what to do in that situation. I was not blocking traffic (the parked van was) and I could not move into the other lane as the light was red and full of cars.

I really hope I never encounter you on the road with your obvious lack of knowledge for the rules of the road.

what illegal left turn or you talking about

Check out this micra and my super human skillz :pac: - wasn't expecting him to brake at the green light.

if this is a clip of you driving well I would hate to see one of your bad driving. did you just enter a roundabout and nearly hit a car that was already on it

No, that was me at my worst :p. He was brake testing me / attempting an insurance scam... Understandable, as the lack of ///M badges made him unaware of my superior MSport suspension and handling :D

No, that was me at my worst :p. He was brake testing me / attempting an insurance scam... Understandable, as the lack of ///M badges made him unaware of my superior MSport suspension and handling :D

not a hedgehog so

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement