Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

sumo12 wrote: »
    I'm sorry to jump in right at the end and I apologise if this has already been covered in the previous 103 pages that I haven't read...

Having nearly got wiped at Merrion gates yesterday evening by a prat coming through a red light when I had a right turn green filter light I've decided to buy a dash cam. The quality of your videos on this link is good - what cams are you guys using? Pros / Cons? Where to buy?

Thanks!
    SUMO

We have a thread for dashcam recommendations etc. here;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056815237

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Tallon wrote: »
    Pull out and let them merge!
    No, they are merging from his rear, at greater speed, therefore his pulling out to the sacred overtaking lane will result in his being undertaken, also holding up the faster traffic e.g focus already in fast lane.
    Now if they had been merging ahead, if necessary he could have moved over.

It is up to those merging to accelarate hard to merging speed, and if they need help THEN motorists should help them.
    This crack of labouring out onto a motorway at 5th with engine at 1500 rpm is another of my pet hates. But if they are merging at my front, sure I will move out for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭sumo12

We have a thread for dashcam recommendations etc. here;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056815237

Oops thank you.. :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

sumo12 wrote: »
    Yep, an iphone 4..

Same as myself, The witness app works fine and its only €0.89. Quality is good but obviously some of the proper cameras will be much better. Would do the job untill you get one though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

A funny thing happened on the way to work this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Páid wrote: »
    A funny thing happened on the way to work this morning.

TBH I can't really see that funny thing.

It might look unusual for people from Ireland to hit a bear, but it would probably look equally unusual for people from the Continent if I put up a video of hitting sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭DIESEL TOM

what funny about knocking down a bear :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I LOLD hahahahahahaha
    Me too and TBH the bear should have used the green cross code :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I didn't find it funny, just extraordinary and glad to see the bear walk away appearing unharmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Saw a driver ahead of me merging onto the m50 at 30 kph.
    At the junction of the n4 to M50 southbound.
    I know the engineering of that slip-road does not give you enough time to reach the posted 100kph from the posted 30 kph but doing 30 kph on the inside lane of the m50 is suicide.

I had to slow down and let a decent gap open up before merging at a considerably faster speed than 30 kph.

I also had to get out into the middle lane fairly sharpish as the driver of the car ahead was still doing 30 kph!!!

The driver of that car should have been on the inside merging lane, designed for trucks and slow accelerating vehicles and not on the outside merging lane which is too short for heavies and slow vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

CiniO wrote: »
    TBH I can't really see that funny thing.
    DIESEL TOM wrote: »
    what funny about knocking down a bear :confused:
    gurramok wrote: »
    I didn't find it funny, just extraordinary and glad to see the bear walk away appearing unharmed.
    Funny - as in peculiar, odd, curious or unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

doolox wrote: »
    The driver of that car should have been on the inside merging lane, designed for trucks and slow accelerating vehicles and not on the outside merging lane which is too short for heavies and slow vehicles.

What makes you think it's only for trucks and slow vehicles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Similar to that happened to me below today. The silver Audi came down the same slip road and passed us all just as I was about to pull into overtaking lane (He was in my blindspot and I very nearly pulled out on front of him). All caused by another old asshole driving "safe"

Sorry about camera position, but had to record sunshine in case we never see it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

gutteruu wrote: »

This happens way too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭rocky

Similar to that happened to me below today. The silver Audi came down the same slip road and passed us all just as I was about to pull into overtaking lane (He was in my blindspot and I very nearly pulled out on front of him). All caused by another old asshole driving "safe"

Sorry about camera position, but had to record sunshine in case we never see it again.

Kaiser in his fancy Audi, tsk tsk :D

HurtLocker wrote: »
    This happens way too often.

I guess this is what happens when you make a pensioner who never took a driving test the chairman of the Road Safety Authority!!!:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

I guess this is what happens when you make a pensioner who never took a driving test the chairman of the Road Safety Authority!!!:mad::mad:

Speaking of pensioners. I saw one today cut someone off on a roundabout. Break on the roundabout.Wait 20 seconds and drive off. Of course after bring a roundabout to a standstill. Was in a prime position. Wish I'd a dashcam.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭rameire

just wondering if the time stamp on this video is correct,
    so it was 3.30 pm

scrap that, its not the same car, was just wondering if it was the same car as the one in the crash near athy

goo.gl/aS05T

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

At the junction of the n4 to M50 southbound.
    I know the engineering of that slip-road does not give you enough time to reach the posted 100kph from the posted 30 kph but doing 30 kph on the inside lane of the m50 is suicide.

I had to slow down and let a decent gap open up before merging at a considerably faster speed than 30 kph.

I also had to get out into the middle lane fairly sharpish as the driver of the car ahead was still doing 30 kph!!!

Seriously, only one thing for that.
    Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    One can only hope they sh*t their pants and decide to take the bus in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

More excellent roundabout usage:rolleyes:

N17 overtaking lane hogger... in a Yaris.

rocky wrote: »
    N17 overtaking lane hogger... in a Yaris.

Lane hogger - possibly yes.

But what I can see much worse is a tailgater.

I can't get why some people think that if someone else is braking the rules of the road (lane hogging) it makes them justified to tailgate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Lane hogger - possibly yes.

But what I can see much worse is a tailgater.

I can't understand why some people think that if someone else is braking the rules of the road (lane hogging) it makes them justified to tailgate.
    I'd agree to a certain extent, but what was he supposed to do? what are any of us supposed to do when someone is hogging the outside lane?

overtaking on the inside is illegal, flashing them is illegal, tailgating is illegal.

maybe we should just pull over to the side of the road and write a strongly worded letter to our local TD?

I'm surprised I didn't pass on the left - give me a medal already!

He wasn't phased by my flashes, continued to overtake the other car at +1km/h

vibe666 wrote: »
    I'd agree to a certain extent, but what was he supposed to do? what are any of us supposed to do when someone is hogging the outside lane?

overtaking on the inside is illegal, flashing them is illegal, tailgating is illegal.

maybe we should just pull over to the side of the road and write a strongly worded letter to our local TD?

Why do you think flashing is illegal?

In such cases I always flash, but there's no point in tailgating. It's dangerous and might get you in big trouble if person in front decides to brake test you. Completely no point in doing so.
    Just stay away - keep distance and keep flashing.

In such cases I always flash, but there's no point in tailgating. It's dangerous and might get you in big trouble if person in front decides to brake test you. Completely no point in doing so.

If it wasn't for tailgating and beeping, I would be unemployed. Flashing works about 50% of the time I find. The rest of the time beeping and tailgating them works great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If it wasn't for tailgating and beeping, I would be unemployed. Flashing works about 50% of the time I find. The rest of the time beeping and tailgating them works great.

Theres no excuse to tailgate. Its the equivalent of standing behind someone in a queue breathing down their neck. Its beyond arrogant. I doubt anyone on this forum has to be somewhere so quickly that the minute it takes to give someone a chance to pull over / complete a manoeuvre will cost them.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Theres no excuse to tailgate. Its the equivalent of standing behind someone in a queue breathing down their neck. Its beyond arrogant. I doubt anyone on this forum has to be somewhere so quickly that the minute it takes to give someone a chance to pull over / complete a manoeuvre will cost them.

We can all lie, but most people tailgate. If you don't believe me, look at the M50, M7, M4 at any time. Its part and parcel of driving in Ireland.

Someone blocking overtaking lane doing 80kph instead of 120kph adds 4 hours onto my day! Thats 20 hours a week spent waiting on idiots. 6.5 months of the year stuck behind them. Say what you want about respecting idiots, but if someone blocked them getting into their house for 4 hours everyday, what would happen. Tailgating is a very gentle form of tough love!

• Advertisement

We can all lie, but most people tailgate. If you don't believe me, look at the M50, M7, M4 at any time. Its part and parcel of driving in Ireland.

Someone blocking overtaking lane doing 80kph instead of 120kph adds 4 hours onto my day! Thats 20 hours a week spent waiting on idiots. 6.5 months of the year stuck behind them. Say what you want about respecting idiots, but if someone blocked them getting into their house for 4 hours everyday, what would happen. Tailgating is a very gentle form of tough love!

Well. So you say that if people weren't blocking overtaking lane, you would save 4 hours a day?????????????? And that's assuming you normally do 80km/h at all times because people are blocking, but because of your gentle form of touch of love which is tailgating, you can keep going 120km/h at all times, and therefore save 4 hours a day.

That must be the most ridiculous statement in regards tailgating I've ever heard.

4 Hours? Care to add some math to that statement?

The distance from the start of the M11 to Dublin Airport is about 46km. Do that at solid 120km/h and you'll cover the distance in about 22mins. At 100km/h, it will take you 28 mins. And at 80km/h it will take you 35 mins. So the difference is 13 mins provided you get a straight shot run.

The longest motorway run I'm aware of is from Dublin to Cork (266km, (80km/h = 3hrs 20mins, or 120km/h = 2 hrs 14 mins)), so unless your doing that route multiple times per day, I can't see you wasting 4 hours of your daily commute to slow drivers. And in all that, your assuming your stuck at 80km/h for the entire journey. Which you won't be. You'll be stuck for at most 5 mins.

What your mistaking is the few seconds of anger versus an actual realisation of how long it takes you to get places and the associated time / speed calculation. Intelligent driving and lane choice is a far great time saver than speed and aggression on Irish roads.

That must be the most ridiculous statement in regards tailgating I've ever heard.

Its fairly simple.
    8 hours at 120 kph = 960km
    8 hours at 80 kph = 640km.

So when I should be home, in reality I still have 320km to go. I'm assuming motorway driving but it was an example to show you the effect and that its not lollipops and rainbows for people stuck behind a$sholes!

I live in the midlands. Next week, I have to work in Lisburn and wexford. Thats 2 seperate days, constant motorway at what should be a constant 120kph.
    ironclaw wrote: »
    4 Hours? Care to add some math to that statement?

Intelligent driving and lane choice is a far great time saver than speed and aggression on Irish roads.

Lane choice for time saving? Your saying undertake? Thats a lot more dangerous in my opinion.

Its fairly simple.
    8 hours at 120 kph = 960km
    8 hours at 80 kph = 640km.

So when I should be home, in reality I still have 320km to go. I'm assuming motorway driving but it was an example to show you the effect and that its not lollipops and rainbows for people stuck behind a$sholes!

But your example assumes, that you normall travel at 120 at all times, which is impossible except from few odd times at the night. And it's not because of people blocking the overtaking lane, but from congestions in general.

Also you are assuming that you are being blocked by ones doing 80km/h through all your journey, and you wouldn't go faster even for a second if you didn't tailgate. Then somehow magically tailgating removes all those problem, and you can go 120km/h. This is completely ridiculous statement, which has nothing to do with reality.

If during those 960km a day you do, there will be one or two occasions when by tailgaiting you will force someone to move left, that will be better than expected. You might save on it few minutes maximum, and you are causing danger.
    Most lane blockers seem to react to flashing lights. And if they don't - they also probably won't react to tailgating.

Sorry man, but stating that you need tailgate to save 4 hours a day, is completely ridiculous, and I don't believe you believe in it yourself.

I live in Ballinasloe. Next week, I have to work in Lisburn and wexford. Thats 2 seperate days, constant motorway at what should be a constant 120kph.
    AFAIK From Ballinasloe to Lisburn is not even near 960km. Also Wexford is not that far.

Your missing the point. I'll stop using numbers as they are confusing you. Someone blocking a lane holds me up. Simple. If I did as you said and sat back, I would get home a lot later everyday than I usually do. Therefore I choose to ignore their feelings and make them move by tailgating after I try the holding back and flashing for a while. Flashing works about 50% of the time in my opinion and usually just makes them slam on the brakes as they freak out.

I didn't hear your criticism of the as$holes blocking the lanes yet ????

Your missing the point. I'll stop using numbers as they are confusing you. Someone blocking a lane holds me up. Simple. If I did as you said and sat back, I would get home a lot later everyday than I usually do. Therefore I choose to ignore their feelings and make them move by tailgating after I try the holding back and flashing for a while. Flashing works about 50% of the time in my opinion and usually just makes them slam on the brakes as they freak out.

I didn't hear your criticism of the as$holes blocking the lanes yet ????

Because they don't need criticism. They just can't drive. Very little we can do about them.
    But tailgating is the worst idea.

Because they don't need criticism......Very little we can do about them.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Because they don't need criticism. They just can't drive. Very little we can do about them.

Wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

You have a point. Most often these people are such clueless drivers that giving out about them will have no effect. They'll still be ignorant drivers tomorrow and the day after....

Tailgating is also pig ignorant driving too. Both annoy me as much as the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Because they don't need criticism.

I don't agree with this, but

Very little we can do about them.

This is the truth.

A lane hogger is an irritation, a talegater is dangerous.

Lane choice for time saving? Your saying undertake? Thats a lot more dangerous in my opinion.

Not at all. Procedural, structured driving.

The statement that you get held up by people lane blocking is laughable because you actually have no concept of time. General congestion, traffic and even a light change will add more time to your journey than someone blocking you at 80km/h. Because when you hit traffic or have to stop at lights, you fall well below 50km/h and at lights you actually have to stop. Thats adding far more time and cutting far more off your forward speed than someone doing 80km/h in the outer lane for perhaps 10 mins.

If we take say a 10 minute window, if you had to fall from 120km/h to 80km/h for 5 minutes of that 10 minutes, you'll have travelled about 16km. (As opposed to the 20km you would have travelled had you been able to maintain 120km/h for 10 mins)

Contrast that to being on a congested road doing say 60km/h for 10 mins, and you'll have travelled 10km.

What I'm trying to say, being stuck behind someone on a motorway at 80km/h for 10 minutes, is actually negligible in the overall timings. Your talking seconds out of your day. Not hours. Being stuck at 80km/h the whole way to Cork from Dublin will add one hour to your day.

Its a terrible driver mentality that speed means you'll get somewhere faster. Not always the case when you start to factor traffic and the overall length of your journey. Ireland doesn't have roads long enough to make the justification your making. Were we having this conversation on a pan-European basis or on American highways I'd agree with you.

Just calm down behind the wheel and if your managing to save 4 hours per working day, sell the idea because I'm sure every courier company in the world would want to hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

6.5 months of the year stuck behind them

smiley-face-_scared.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

BX 19 wrote: »
    You have a point. Most often these people are such clueless drivers that giving out about them will have no effect. They'll still be ignorant drivers tomorrow and the day after....

Tailgating is also pig ignorant driving too. Both annoy me as much as the other.

Nothing can be done? The traffic corp could pull these road hogs, give them fair warning, log them in the system. Each time they are caught the penalties increase: fine, court appearance and stiffer fine, 6, 12, 24 month ban plus large fines, 5, 10 year bans, permanent ban and car confiscated and sold or crushed. Each ban over 12 months gets you knocked back to a provisional licence and mandatory lessons. Failure to pay fines or driving while banned: community service maintaining the verges of back roads. Then deal with the few remaining tailgaters who are taking the p1ss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Owenw wrote: »
    Nothing can be done? The traffic corp could pull these road hogs, give them fair warning, log them in the system. Each time they are caught the penalties increase: fine, court appearance and stiffer fine, 6, 12, 24 month ban plus large fines, 5, 10 year bans, permanent ban and car confiscated and sold or crushed. Each ban over 12 months gets you knocked back to a provisional licence and mandatory lessons. Failure to pay fines or driving while banned: community service maintaining the verges of back roads. Then deal with the few remaining tailgaters who are taking the p1ss

Realistically that's not going to happen anytime soon with the current shortage of Garda resources.

BX 19 wrote: »
    Realistically that's not going to happen anytime soon with the current shortage of Garda resources.

Realistically that won't happen because of the Irish mindset. As long as your not speeding you can do what you like. Most people on here are arguing for and trying to justify the reasoning behind people refusing to move and blocking lanes. Thats why nothing will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'd heard it on the radio, but wasn't really paying attention and it looks like it was directly in relation to warning incoming drivers of a speed trap ahead, so I'll be continuing to flash the fcuk it of them in future. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

vibe666 wrote: »
    I'd heard it on the radio, but wasn't really paying attention and it looks like it was directly in relation to warning incoming drivers of a speed trap ahead, so I'll be continuing to flash the fcuk it of them in future. :D

I remember my driving instructor told me about 2 years ago that flashing someone was to be used or informing another of your presence and that's why you shouldn't flash someone to let them through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

But your example assumes, that you normall travel at 120 at all times, which is impossible except from few odd times at the night. And it's not because of people blocking the overtaking lane, but from congestions in general.

I travelled to Athlone and back last friday daytime with cruise control set at 120kmh the whole way. (bar a couple of flooring it which "didnt" happen :P). Leaving dublin at about 2:00

That was M50-m4-m6, Only didnt do 120 on the intersection between the M50 and the M4 as it was bendy, and on the N4 where the limit is 80.

It is totally possible to travel at 120 on the motorway for the entire 200+kilometers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Two red light breakers from the other day within minutes of each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Watching the first video i thought you were referring to the silver astra, and was thinking it was a yellow light let him off with it and and WOW, that was very late :eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement