Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Dashcam (or CCTV) saves Dublin Bus drivers ass (vs dodgy cyclist);

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

He should be charged for any damage he did to the car.
    or impersonating a zebra! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

RainyDay wrote: »
    Dashcam (or CCTV) saves Dublin Bus drivers ass (vs dodgy cyclist);

From Garda Press Office:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

josip wrote: »

seen that yesterday, i wonder what sparked the hole thing off.
    what caused the bikers to surround the RR on the main road before he ploughed over them?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

kceire wrote: »
    seen that yesterday, i wonder what sparked the hole thing off.
    what caused the bikers to surround the RR on the main road before he ploughed over them?

There is a good bit on the YouTube thread on this. But I did find another site last night, and while the guy had pulled down all the other videos he filmed relating to this event, someone had copied them and reposted. And the whole gig was just arrogant mob mentality. Blocking roads, riding on pavements, cruising through lights regardless, cutting up and weaving around traffic, several bits of mobbing drivers who didn't yield quickly enough. The start of the RR incident wasn't there, so maybe the RR did something to them, but you'd certainly get the feeling from the other vids that it wasn't taking much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

On one of the American forums I frequent, the over-riding message is that if this had happened in another state with less strict gun control (i.e. Texas) the outcome for the SUV driver could have been very different and would have evened up the odds quite a bit.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    the outcome for the SUV driver could have been very different and would have evened up the odds quite a bit.

The odds between 2 tonne RR vs bike, or odds between guy and family vs mob of bikers (genuine question, different sites have different perspectives)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

On one of the American forums I frequent, the over-riding message is that if this had happened in another state with less strict gun control (i.e. Texas) the outcome for the SUV driver could have been very different and would have evened up the odds quite a bit.

That forum sounds dumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Not a dash cam, but Jesus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Not a dash cam, but Jesus!

Wow. That is close. Natural selection at its best lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

in a state where there was less gun control, the RR driver may have pulled out a gun and shot a few bikers, but the result would have been 300 well armed bikers pulling out guns and filling the RR full of bullets, undoubtedly killing everyone inside, including a small child and most likely innocent bystanders as well who would also (having been well armed themselves, if it had been Texas) have joined in shooting at bikers, etc. etc.

but yes, that would have been a much more 'even' outcome so that's fine. :rolleyes:

I can't see how that logic could be considered evened up

bear1 wrote: »
    I can't see how that logic could be considered evened up
    that's the worrying thing. a significant portion of gun toting american's would have considered it their duty to shoot their way out of the situation to protect their rights and their family.

all that would have happened is a lot of people would have been dead.

as it is, one man is badly beaten and another is most likely going to spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair, i think that's plenty bad enough. who knows how bad it could have gotten with a large number of well armed angry bikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Its these tiny trivial things that drive me nuts. She is in the wrong, but beeps and flashes like mad at me.

What she see's
    coj5.jpg

What she does

vibe666 wrote: »
    that's the worrying thing. a significant portion of gun toting american's would have considered it their duty to shoot their way out of the situation to protect their rights and their family.

all that would have happened is a lot of people would have been dead.

as it is, one man is badly beaten and another is most likely going to spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair, i think that's plenty bad enough. who knows how bad it could have gotten with a large number of well armed angry bikers.

Spot on

gutteruu wrote: »
    Its these tiny trivial things that drive me nuts. She is in the wrong, but beeps and flashes like mad at me.

What she see's
    coj5.jpg

What she does

Yeaaaaaa my town :D the Mondeo was a right mong, she would have been at fault there

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cluelez

CiniO wrote: »
    I'm sure we all agree that having a dashcam in a car is handy, but that looks like a bit of overkill.

that's to watch for cyclists in the blind spot (it's written in the description)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Some of these clips appear on bear1's video above, but there's enough unseen ones to make it worthy of posting, not to mention the arsehole at 3.38

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

in a state where there was less gun control, the RR driver may have pulled out a gun and shot a few bikers, but the result would have been 300 well armed bikers pulling out guns and filling the RR full of bullets, undoubtedly killing everyone inside, including a small child and most likely innocent bystanders as well who would also (having been well armed themselves, if it had been Texas) have joined in shooting at bikers, etc. etc.

but yes, that would have been a much more 'even' outcome so that's fine. :rolleyes:

The point is that we don't hear about mass shootouts in Texas on a daily basis, the theory being that people dont start shooting for precisely that reason

gutteruu wrote: »

What she see's
    coj5.jpg

What she does

She?
    If you're a guy, you're automatically in the wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

I was not impressed with this twat after he beckoned me to overtake.

He certainly should not have been beckoning me to overtake when he could not see if it was clear to overtake. And it would be my fault if i overtook him thinking it was clear.

I am glad I was driving and not someone like my sister on a learner permit and less experienced who might have summed up the situation differently.

The Range Rover driver in fairness visibly braked hard and slowed down but my car is not fast enough to have overtaken and cleared the horse had I gone for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

God Father wrote: »

I was not impressed with this twat after he beckoned me to overtake.

He certainly should not have been beckoning me to overtake when he could not see if it was clear to overtake. And it would be my fault if i overtook him thinking it was clear.

I am glad I was driving and not someone like my sister on a learner permit and less experienced who might have summed up the situation differently.

The Range Rover driver in fairness visibly braked hard and slowed down but my car is not fast enough to have overtaken and cleared the horse had I gone for it.

That's the reason why no one should trust other drivers in such cases.
    Generally if someone flashes me or gives hand signal to go, I assume he is letting me go (so he won't cross my way), but I still watch for anything other that might appear.

Situation like yours happens to me quite often, on twisty road I usually drive with plenty of tourists in rental cars during the summer.
    I drive much faster than them, so people often stop to let me go. Unfortunately some of them stop right before blind bends and wave me to go, and then they get annoyed I don't.

It reminds me of a video here in this thread some time ago, where van got stuck under the bridge, and guy from a van went off and showed a car behind to overtake, without checking if there was anything oncoming. And there actually was.

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

It reminds me of a video here in this thread some time ago, where van got stuck under the bridge, and guy from a van went off and showed a car behind to overtake, without checking if there was anything oncoming. And there actually was.

Not again.
    HomerFacePalm.jpg

From looking at those Russian videos I can start to see that Irish driving is nowhere near as bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjiS9bMJ99k&list=PL16F4u4iew30bZ6N3rKIy8GuWKZNveSNk

There are many crashes here which just leave you gobsmacked

or like that guy out in the country that went tearing round a blind bend too fast to stop and (by his own admission) would have hit a car parked at the side of the road if there hadn't been enough room for him to swerve into the oncoming lane. :eek:

tumblr_l8k40dWG6U1qbhtrto1_500.gif

:D

or like that guy out in the country that went tearing round a blind bend too fast to stop and (by his own admission) would have hit a car parked at the side of the road if there hadn't been enough room for him to swerve into the oncoming lane. :eek:

:D

Yeap, I recall seeing that video. Somehow though it disappeared from here. :D

But what does it have to do with God Father's video of someone showing to overtake which we were talking about?

it's a good example of why people shouldn't be on the wrong side of the road on a blind bend. ;)

And......... we're off!

• Advertisement

There should probably be an automatic rule set up for this thread (and the YouTube one), if 10 successive posts go by with no videos, then those posts should be hived off into a thread marked "Argument No. XXX", because that's what they'll be.

And I'm as guilty as anyone...

Wexfordian wrote: »
    There should probably be an automatic rule set up for this thread (and the YouTube one), if 10 successive posts go by with no videos, then those posts should be hived off into a thread marked "Argument No. XXX", because that's what they'll be.

And I'm as guilty as anyone...

I suppose with Youtube thread this should be the rule - as it's more like to watch something interesting.
    But dashcams videos very often start big discussions, so that's why we got this thread initially so we could discuss here, instead of having 15 separate threads every day on 15 different videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭Philush

nice cornering here, if your idle listen to end of vid, radio man makes nice comment.

and this one, just last night, stalled out of t junction, poor lights on car, lotta fast traffic on that road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Guy in the first vid just came off the dual carriageway to head into blarney but didn't slow down half enough though the bends there are very tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

Philush wrote: »
    and this one, just last night, stalled out of t junction, poor lights on car, lotta fast traffic on that road
    Well done, you anticipated a hazard ahead and slowed down adequately.
    Best thing not to do there is put on the full headlights and add to an already dangerous situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cluelez

does anyone know where is the post showing kind of road rage between African SUV driver and another driver which had two cameras (front and back installed)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

cluelez wrote: »
    does anyone know where is the post showing kind of road rage between African SUV driver and another driver which had two cameras (front and back installed)?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86136785&postcount=2260

More Russian shenanigans, 3 videos...

4.45 shows how dangerous a blowout on a truck can be...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Hit and Run

4ws8OuJ.gif

• Advertisement

From the UK, one lucky guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

rizzodun wrote: »
    From the UK, one lucky guy.

Holy brown pants batman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Bloody hellfire that big transit just gets batted aside. Slow reactions from the driver, bad show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Van driver handled that really well. Didn't over compensate. Seems as if he knew it was coming though.

He's very lucky he wasn't pulling a full load behind him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

From watching the video the guy videoing was also not reading ahead and the van you can see swerving ahead of the truck that hit the trailer, but was lucky to move across that is one dangerous stretch with no hard shoulder.

Any motorway or dual carriageway should have to have a shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Back home one morning last week, bright morning sunlight blinded me badly. Luckily slowed down immediately.

And actually I saw even less than you can see on that video.

00:19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

If this thread has taught me one thing it's to NEVER drive in Russia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

joujoujou wrote: »
    Back home one morning last week, bright morning sunlight blinded me badly. Luckily slowed down immediately.

And actually I saw even less than you can see on that video.

00:19

Sunglasses is a must sometimes. Not sure if it would help in that case...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

wonski wrote: »
    Sunglasses is a must sometimes.
    I had them on. :)
    wonski wrote: »
    Not sure if it would help in that case...
    No difference at all. :(

If sunglasses, then polarised, anything else is nowhere near as good.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement