Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Definite brown trouser moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Fair play to him/her for not panicking (or at least not in any way I could see).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Non eventful video :pac: - don't seem to encounter much these days.

As long as it's only footballs they're throwing, it seems not too bad. It's when they drop manhole covers off motorway bridges, that you're're in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

As long as it's only footballs they're throwing, it seems not too bad. It's when they drop manhole covers off motorway bridges, that you're're in trouble.

True enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Although I don't really fancy having a football hit off the wind-shield at 70 mph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Football might be more than enough to injure or kill someone.
    Less than a year ago, close to my home place in Poland three young lads invented a game where they were throwing pieces of ice (it was February) from to bridge above the motorway on vehicles.
    One of those pieces hit the windscreen of an artic truck, got in, hit the driver, who eventually lost control, crashed and died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

It's not what the football itself does that matters, it's the influence of the sudden flying object on the driver that may cause a tragedy. I saw this sh!te happening twice on the ring road in Clonmel during the summer. First time the ball hit the middle of the trailer and the driver swerved a bit but no major drama, second time the ball hit right at the front of the trailer and the truck driver swerved square into the oncoming lane. God was watching, because how there wasn't a pile up was a miracle to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

CiniO wrote: »
    Football might be more than enough to injure or kill someone.
    Less than a year ago, close to my home place in Poland three young lads invented a game where they were throwing pieces of ice (it was February) from to bridge above the motorway on vehicles.
    One of those pieces hit the windscreen of an artic truck, got in, hit the driver, who eventually lost control, crashed and died.

In the above scenario - judging by the video dr.fuzzenstein commented on - even a brick wouldn't do such damage.
    Throwing things of a bridge is mental, and we all know this. The guy on the video just bounced the ball of the trailer. Non comparable in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

rizzodun wrote: »
    Anyone who encountered the high winds today might find this relevant.

Unfortunately I don't have a video, but a few years back I was heading northbound on the M8, and was overtaking two of those lorries crossing the Blackwater. As I was mid way past the two, both of them got caught by a gust of wind, both were alongside me on what appeared to me to be two wheels. I had nowhere to go so just dropped gear and put the boot down while screaming "**** **** **** **** ****". I suspect the lorry drivers were saying something similar. Fair play to them, once I was out of the way they got themselves settled. The three of us pulled in at the next "rest" spot and said "woah" a lot. I no longer overtake anything on that bridge, regardless of the weather.

wonski wrote: »
    In the above scenario - judging by the video dr.fuzzenstein commented on - even a brick wouldn't do such damage.
    Throwing things of a bridge is mental, and we all know this. The guy on the video just bounced the ball of the trailer. Non comparable in my view.

That. +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Anyone have a camera in the rear window aswell? The thought occurred to me it could be useful even if the least it does get noticed by tailgaters who back off as a result :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Aestivalis

Hi.
    I was thinking about getting a dashcam for my car.
    What would be the cheapest one people would recommend? Just note, my car isnt worth a lot of money but I think it would be a good investment in general.

I presume you can swap them out. i.e when you get a new car you can just unmount it and put it in the newer one?
    Where about do you guys buy them from?
    How are they connected/powered from the car?

I looked through a few pages in this thread but didnt see much recommendations, and I cant be bothered reading 50+ pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Caliden wrote: »
    I doubt they 'forgot' they were exiting, more than likely they wanted to skip all the slower moving traffic and cut in at the last moment.

Also, putting their indicator on AS they were changing lane is a pointless exercise, they may as well have not bothered at all.

That's more than likely it. Does my head in. Same kind of arseholes who think they're above queueing at the N7 junction in the morning and just drive to the top of the queue and stick on the indicator.

• Advertisement

Smartcam 2 HD looks alright, but its a bit expensive at €99. Not sure if I'd get anything that good for cheaper though.
    Not really interested in buying anything from the US. Too many experiences with slow shipping and being hit with big customs charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭skibum

"Car garage didnt know i had dashcam ;D"

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6ae_1386514953

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Aestivalis wrote: »
    Hi.
    I was thinking about getting a dashcam for my car.
    What would be the cheapest one people would recommend? Just note, my car isnt worth a lot of money but I think it would be a good investment in general.

I presume you can swap them out. i.e when you get a new car you can just unmount it and put it in the newer one?
    Where about do you guys buy them from?
    How are they connected/powered from the car?

I looked through a few pages in this thread but didnt see much recommendations, and I cant be bothered reading 50+ pages.

I just recently got a dash cam from Micksgarage and find it spot on. I ordered it online on a Sunday night and it arrived on Wednesday, down to Kerry! It's a HD Smartcam and came with a 16gb memory card and was on special for €89, normally €99.

It just plugs into the cigarette lighter and can be used in any car or on it's own, via its' internal rechargeable battery. I drive tour coaches during the summer and this was another reason for getting one!

The instruction manual is a bit suspect as it is in badly translated Chinese, but still, it is very easy to get the hang of nonetheless. Maybe a Christmas present?

FWIW, no affiliation to the above, just a satisfied customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

skibum wrote: »
    "Car garage didnt know i had dashcam ;D"

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6ae_1386514953

Those v6's really sound sweet :pac:

sogood wrote: »
    I just recently got a dash cam from Micksgarage and find it spot on. I ordered it online on a Sunday night and it arrived on Wednesday, down to Kerry! It's a HD Smartcam and came with a 16gb memory card and was on special for €89, normally €99.

It just plugs into the cigarette lighter and can be used in any car or on it's own, via its' internal rechargeable battery. I drive tour coaches during the summer and this was another reason for getting one!

The instruction manual is a bit suspect as it is in badly translated Chinese, but still, it is very easy to get the hang of nonetheless. Maybe a Christmas present?

FWIW, no affiliation to the above, just a satisfied customer.

Yeah, I think I'm going to get that one tbh.
    Theres a few things I'm curious about though.

Is it awkward to wire up? as in, can you wire it around the edge of the windscreen and down the dash so its not just a big ugly wire hanging?

Secondly, if something happens what do you press to save the footage to prevent it overwriting itself 15 minutes later?

Is it just 15 minute loops you can have?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think I'm going to get that one tbh.
    Theres a few things I'm curious about though.

Is it awkward to wire up? as in, can you wire it around the edge of the windscreen and down the dash so its not just a big ugly wire hanging?

Secondly, if something happens what do you press to save the footage to prevent it overwriting itself 15 minutes later?

Is it just 15 minute loops you can have?

No actual wiring, just plug it into the lighter socket. It has a very long lead, so it should be easy to route it as you described. You can set it to record in 2, 5 or 10 minute segments or on a continuous loop of several hours, depending on the size of the memory card. When the card fills up, it will overwrite the oldest segment first and so on. You can save it to PC if needed.

No actual wiring, just plug it into the lighter socket. It has a very long lead, so it should be easy to route it as you described. You can set it to record in 2, 5 or 10 minute segments or on a continuous loop of several hours, depending on the size of the memory card. When the card fills up, it will overwrite the oldest segment first and so on. You can save it to PC if needed.

Great thanks for the info.

Just bought it, I'll post a review up after I test it out a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Junction exit earlier today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Dingatron wrote: »
    Junction exit earlier today.

Rabble rabble rabble, somehow its all your fault.

Just gettin it out of the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I'm after buying a Smartcam 2 from micksgarage.....bet nothing is whatsoever is going to happen to me for ages now! :pac:

Order my smartcam 2 from Micksgarage monday night. Got it this morning!
    Good postage time.

Its a bit confusing at first to set up but I got the hang of it after fiddling around with it a bit.
    The picture quality seems pretty good, and you can select what resolution you want to record in. i.e 720p, or 1080p at 1440x resolution or 1080p at 1920x resolution or lower.

I literally only tested it for 10 minutes this evening, but the biggest con I've noticed so far is that on unlit backroads the picture isnt the best even if you have full headlights on.
    But on every other roads its fine.

I'll post more comments if I find anything else with it. I just need to actually tidy up the wire so its hanging straight down across my radio. Not sure what I'll use to stick it around the edge of the windscreen. Any ideas?

Order my smartcam 2 from Micksgarage monday night. Got it this morning!
    Good postage time.

Its a bit confusing at first to set up but I got the hang of it after fiddling around with it a bit.
    The picture quality seems pretty good, and you can select what resolution you want to record in. i.e 720p, or 1080p at 1440x resolution or 1080p at 1920x resolution or lower.

I literally only tested it for 10 minutes this evening, but the biggest con I've noticed so far is that on unlit backroads the picture isnt the best even if you have full headlights on.
    But on every other roads its fine.

I'll post more comments if I find anything else with it. I just need to actually tidy up the wire so its hanging straight down across my radio. Not sure what I'll use to stick it around the edge of the windscreen. Any ideas?

There is the option to use the built in LED for night driving, but they tend to reflect off the windscreen. For better (daytime) clarity, make sure you remove the little plastic protective film from the lens.

Regarding the cable, would it be possible to tuck it behind the windscreen upright pillar? My car has a removable cover on the pillar and that's the way I intend to go.

Little tip; You can switch the sound on and off without going into the menu etc. Just hold the power on/off switch for a second or two and you can toggle sound on and off. Just press the switch once to power on and off. Of course, if you're connected up via the power cable it will switch on and off automatically with the ignition. All in all it's a handy piece of kit for the money. Don't forget to try the HDMI cable to play back your videos on the TV. It's like taking the drive all over again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Turns out it didnt take long at all, apologies for the language, iv turned the sound recording off since!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Some feckin gob****e altogether. Never a cop around either when this things happen

ken wrote: »
    Keep getting an error message for this sentient.

It worked fine for me. And yes, hat guy was paying more attention to the other traffic than to the lights. Maybe he's Russian, and was feeling homesick?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

It worked fine for me. And yes, hat guy was paying more attention to the other traffic than to the lights. Maybe he's Russian, and was feeling homesick?
    I've deleted my post. It's working fine now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Turns out it didnt take long at all, apologies for the language, iv turned the sound recording off since!

Ahh the language is what makes that video.

I wonder did anyone have a dashcam in Wisconsin? Fifty cars in a pile up in the snow, with very poor visibility. Idiots flying along, and rear ending those more careful drivers who stopped in time, only to get shunted into the mayhem! Crazy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

flazio wrote: »
    Possibly one of the earliest Dash Cams ever, from 107 years ago in San Francisco.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/05/watch-what-might-be-the-worlds-oldest-dashcam-footage-from-1926/#continued
    Link to a 1926 one, CRAZZZZY Emergency Services driving :)

Great thanks for the info.

Just bought it, I'll post a review up after I test it out a bit.

Further to the Dashcam 2, a criticism I would have, would be with the instruction manual. The writing is pretty tiny and the language is a sort of Chinglish! So, after fiddling about and discovering some things, I thought I might possibly save any owners the trouble of doing likewise.

One concern seems to be the ability to save clips and this seems to be possible by putting a "lock" on the relevant clip and so protect it. Otherwise you have to wait for the opportunity to download the clip, if you have sufficient time and memory card!

So, what I found is;

Switch on the unit and press "Mode" twice. (First press gives you the snapshot option)
    You will then have the various clips displayed in thumbnails. You may see a small "Key" symbol on some of the clips. This means that they are locked or protected.

Use the arrow keys to select the clip you want to save.

Press "OK" on selected clip and this is then displayed full screen.

Press "Menu" and this opens the option to "Delete" "Protect" or "Slide Show"

Use arrow keys to select "Protect"

Press "OK" and select "Lock Current"

Press "OK" and the job is done. Using this route gives you the option to lock/unlock selected clip or all clips etc.

I haven't put this fully through is' paces, but find that if a clip is "Locked" it can't be deleted until it is unlocked, so it makes sense to assume that it cant be overwritten either?

Worth a test run.

Spook_ie wrote: »

"Crazy" doesn't even begin to describe it!! It looks like a promotional video for the Red Square School of Driving. Is this how Russians learned to drive?

Thanks for sharing!

Further to the Dashcam 2, a criticism I would have, would be with the instruction manual. The writing is pretty tiny and the language is a sort of Chinglish! So, after fiddling about and discovering some things, I thought I might possibly save any owners the trouble of doing likewise.

One concern seems to be the ability to save clips and this seems to be possible by putting a "lock" on the relevant clip and so protect it. Otherwise you have to wait for the opportunity to download the clip, if you have sufficient time and memory card!

So, what I found is;

Switch on the unit and press "Mode" twice. (First press gives you the snapshot option)
    You will then have the various clips displayed in thumbnails. You may see a small "Key" symbol on some of the clips. This means that they are locked or protected.

Use the arrow keys to select the clip you want to save.

Press "OK" on selected clip and this is then displayed full screen.

Press "Menu" and this opens the option to "Delete" "Protect" or "Slide Show"

Use arrow keys to select "Protect"

Press "OK" and select "Lock Current"

Press "OK" and the job is done. Using this route gives you the option to lock/unlock selected clip or all clips etc.

I haven't put this fully through is' paces, but find that if a clip is "Locked" it can't be deleted until it is unlocked, so it makes sense to assume that it cant be overwritten either?

Worth a test run.

I found the manual easy enough to understand, although I only read the time and date settings instructions.

Not sure what you means by saving data? I have to set to 10 minute loops. This just records 10 minute files over and over again, adding them to the memory card. When the card is full, it automatically rewrites over the oldest file.

I just plug it into my pc to get the footage. No hassle really.

I found the manual easy enough to understand, although I only read the time and date settings instructions.

Not sure what you means by saving data? I have to set to 10 minute loops. This just records 10 minute files over and over again, adding them to the memory card. When the card is full, it automatically rewrites over the oldest file.

I just plug it into my pc to get the footage. No hassle really.

I mention it based on having read a post querying the possibility of saving an individual clip. Say for example you are heading off on a trip and you encounter something that you have recorded and want to save. You aren't going to be home / near a PC within the allotted recording time, say 2 hours and so, your 10 minute clip will be recorded over. The alternative is to stop recording at that point and so, defeat the whole point of having a camera fitted. Solution is to protect/lock that particular clip and then carry on regardless.

May be of use to know this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

People, the dash can discussion thread is over --> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81902582

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

lway wrote: »
    People, the dash can discussion thread is over --> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81902582

:rolleyes:

Apologies if I've posted the wrong thread in the wrong place. It was more of a follow up to a previous post than anything else. Oops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

More winter madness

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

dash cams, also good for recording stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Inside/outside view of crash

She's phenomenally calm about it. The look on her face is one of mild exasperation rather than "arrrgh"!

Thoie wrote: »
    She's phenomenally calm about it. The look on her face is one of mild exasperation rather than "arrrgh"!

More like "not again!" :P
    Looks like she hit the grass and overcompensated. After that physics becomes the driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Looks to me like she didn't compensate, never mind over compensate... very mild attempt at oposite lock, but then just went 'feck this, I'm done anyway... '

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Tabnabs wrote: »
    dash cams, also good for recording stupidity.

Hope the driver of the white car was OK, split second later that could have flattened the roof.

Agree, must have been watching a different video or maybe drunk...
    Maybe hit grass, froze in fear and didn't react till car was right way up again, or possibly hopped up on goofballs.:cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement