Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Was just glad to see that some one pi pi pi picked him up. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

First clip there!

Also 5:40, 8:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

The sound was messed up on this so I deleted the sound but you get the drift of the anger of the parent. The kid was genuinely frightened and I wholly support the parent 100%.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

^^^
    Awaits angry response from cyclists, entitled to cycle where we want, cycle paths are crap, car drivers break red lights, that's why we can do what we want, bikes never hurt anybody, quoting reams of statistics how dangerous cars are and so on for the next 10 pages.
    Anything not to take responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

^^^
    Awaits angry response from cyclists, entitled to cycle where we want, cycle paths are crap, car drivers break red lights, that's why we can do what we want, bikes never hurt anybody, quoting reams of statistics how dangerous cars are and so on for the next 10 pages.
    Anything not to take responsibility.

I'm a cyclist. He shouldn't be on the footpath....

That big brush of your looks heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

donvito99 wrote: »

First clip there!

Also 5:40, 8:00.

That first part of the video of the Americans or Canadian, if you don't know how to turn on your headlights then I suggest you stop ****ing driving!!

I'm a cyclist. He shouldn't be on the footpath....

That big brush of your looks heavy.

The cork ssr thread has shown that cyclists will defend anything another cyclist does. Like saying that cycling in lane 2 of a very busy 3 carriageway is a good idea.
    It makes me question humanity in general and that common sense is very scarce right now.
    Personally I blame X Factor for turning us all into idiots. ;-)

The cork ssr thread has shown that cyclists will defend anything another cyclist does. Like saying that cycling in lane 2 of a very busy 3 carriageway is a good idea.
    It makes me question humanity in general and that common sense is very scarce right now.

Just because something is a bad idea doesn't make it illegal :) (fwiw I agree that some roads are clearly unsuitable for bikes whether it's legal to be on it or not)

EDIT: But this thread isn't the place to discuss it. I want more crazy Russian dashcams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

rizzodun wrote: »
    More winter madness

That was a hilarious compilation. Those russians must be permanently hammered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

bear1 wrote: »
    That first part of the video of the Americans or Canadian, if you don't know how to turn on your headlights then I suggest you stop ****ing driving!!

Apart from that, she was driving way too fast for the road conditions.
    Watch how quick the broken white line is passing before she hits the back of the truck.
    Watching most if these vids shows a common denominator cropping up Excessive Speed for road conditions and Impatience causes accidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

F**k this little bollox flashing me anyway:

The junction he came F**KINg FLYING through is a yield and ignorant stupidity on his part with the village lined with cars on both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

X Factor is pathetic but Boards.ie forums will never be representative of the balance across its various subject areas so again, away with your brush!

Could hardly cycle if I wanted to btw, too many pies while hangin around the health and fitness forum. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

^^^

Still waiting? I'm a cyclist and motorist, cyclist was wrong, parent wright to be annoyed. (I can see where you're coming from, but when it comes to something like that, it's hard to defend!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Just because something is a bad idea doesn't make it illegal :) (fwiw I agree that some roads are clearly unsuitable for bikes whether it's legal to be on it or not)

EDIT: But this thread isn't the place to discuss it. I want more crazy Russian dashcams.

Ask and you shall receive..

The speed they travel at on icy/snowy roads makes my brain cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Ask and you shall receive..

The last clip is hilarious

Am I right in thinking that when you start to lose control over the snow, the best thing to do is floor it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Am I right in thinking that when you start to lose control over the snow, the best thing to do is floor it?
    I'd say focus more on steering than anything else. Hitting the break or flooring it wont do much in a spin.

Always thought the premise was to floor it if you start fishtailing..
    Not disagreeing with you btw Taylor :) just wanted to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Marklark

Is this the same dash cam that Mick's Garage are selling does anybody know? good bargain if so...

http://www.grabonestore.ie/car-dvr

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭dantastic

Depress the clutch, steer and aim for something cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

dantastic wrote: »
    Depress the clutch, steer and aim for something cheap.

And just before impact take your hands off the wheel

.... blindfold yourself and light a cigarette

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

.... blindfold yourself and light a cigarette

might be easier to light the cigarette first then blindfold yourself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Just keep the wheels pointed at what you want to hit.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    might be easier to light the cigarette first then blindfold yourself...

I enjoy a challenge
    Just keep the wheels pointed at what you want to hit.

Enda Kenny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Watching those Russian snow dashcams We NEED snow here to get some crazy Irish ones

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Watching those Russian snow dashcams We NEED snow here to get some crazy Irish ones

We don't need snow, just a touch of ice, the majority of people in Ireland think that if they have four wheel drive they're unstoppable on any slippery surface.

We don't need snow, just a touch of ice, the majority of people in Ireland think that if they have four wheel drive they're unstoppable on any slippery surface.

No, that's a tiny minority.
    The vast majority of people slow down to 25 km/h as soon as they hear a snowflake has been sighted with a 100 mile radius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Four wheel drive and M+S tyres help but you're not unstoppable. Standard jeep isn't much better than a car in icy conditions but far better in the snow.

• Advertisement

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Four wheel drive and M+S tyres help but you're not unstoppable. Standard jeep isn't much better than a car in icy conditions but far better in the snow.

Oh I know, now can we tell everyone else that? :pac:

More here, the crash at 1.42 seems to be caught from the other car at 5.54

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Happy Christmas all. Here's a guy on a bike getting into the festive spirit. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

He pulled in quickly maybe got a fright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

I'd say so. Doesn't quite come across, but the other car really had to stick it to the road and locked up its' front wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

How far is the Audi braking for!
    That could've being a bad slap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭lau1247

The vast majority of people slow down to 25 km/h as soon as they hear a snowflake has been sighted with a 100 mile radius.

They must have learnt from the way the russians drive from all of these videos :P:pac:

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No, that's a tiny minority.
    Try driving when it rains, apparently we have never seen rain in Ireland and that is why cars on the M50 take a flying V approach accross the three lanes causing tailbacks before the ground is technically damp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Yes yes yes (see below, your point is proven)
    Mycroft H wrote: »

NO NO NO!!! :mad:

Stop perpetuating this rubbish!

It doesn't matter if you have 4wd, you are NO better off on ice than a (front wheel) 2wd! ice is ice is ice!! It makes literally no difference how many wheels you can send power to in icy conditions. you are not above the laws of physics! You are JUST as likely to get caught out by an icy patch on the road no matter whether you're 2wd or 4wd.

The difference comes in the mechanics of how that 2wd or 4wd system will react and if I were to choose between a 4wd and a front wheel drive... give me the front wheel drive any day! At least you have a chance in catching the rear end if it goes! Additionally, 4wd vehicals (mostly jeeps) tend to be heavier than 2wd vehicals, meaning they have much more momentum at any given speed; introduce ice into the equation and you're going to have a much harder time keeping a jeep under control in a bend. Also remember that braking force is relatively equal regardless of your drive configuration, therefore a 2wd car will generally stop better than a 4wd car on ice (given the momentum difference)

Sorry for the rant but I really want to get this idea out of peoples heads that 4wd makes you better off in icy conditions. it doesn't. it actually makes you worse off!

Snow is a totally different animal, and yes 4wd wins that game hands down. but ice is

PS, @ Mycroft : sorry if that's what you meant in your post saying that you're not much better off, I just wanted to clarify that you are no better off, at all - and that if you're driving a jeep you have to be even more careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

CramCycle wrote: »
    Try driving when it rains, apparently we have never seen rain in Ireland and that is why cars on the M50 take a flying V approach accross the three lanes causing tailbacks before the ground is technically damp.
    Well the weekend just gone i nearly took off with the howling wind (and rain) going across the m50. Don't know if it was the bonnet scoop that gave me extra hassle but had to slow to a creep while others were bombing it down the overtaking lane.

People aren't as cautious as they're made out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

coolisin wrote: »
    How far is the Audi braking for!
    That could've being a bad slap.

Yeah, WTF was that all about. Does that driver even have a licence?

It doesn't matter if you have 4wd, you are NO better off on ice than a (front wheel) 2wd! ice is ice is ice!! It makes literally no difference how many wheels you can send power to in icy conditions. you are not above the laws of physics! You are JUST as likely to get caught out by an icy patch on the road no matter whether you're 2wd or 4wd.

The difference comes in the mechanics of how that 2wd or 4wd system will react and if I were to choose between a 4wd and a front wheel drive... give me the front wheel drive any day! At least you have a chance in catching the rear end if it goes! Additionally, 4wd vehicals (mostly jeeps) tend to be heavier than 2wd vehicals, meaning they have much more momentum at any given speed; introduce ice into the equation and you're going to have a much harder time keeping a jeep under control in a bend. Also remember that braking force is relatively equal regardless of your drive configuration, therefore a 2wd car will generally stop better than a 4wd car on ice (given the momentum difference)

Sorry for the rant but I really want to get this idea out of peoples heads that 4wd makes you better off in icy conditions. it doesn't. it actually makes you worse off!

Snow is a totally different animal, and yes 4wd wins that game hands down. but ice is

PS, @ Mycroft : sorry if that's what you meant in your post saying that you're not much better off, I just wanted to clarify that you are no better off, at all - and that if you're driving a jeep you have to be even more careful.

Gimme 4WD and FWD over RWD any day.
    And without the right tires none are worth a sh*te.

Gimme 4WD and FWD over RWD any day.
    And without the right tires none are worth a sh*te.

ah yeah, sure that's why I specified front wheel 2wd. rwd is rubbish on ice and snow. No hope in a rwd.

I was on an outdoor go-kart track with a few experienced rally drivers 2 years ago during some really icy winter weather and a hail shower. Not one of us (out of 16 drivers) made it around the first corner without spinning.

We even went out in 4 heats of 4 so the latter groups even knew what to expect in said corner.
    Rear wheel drive + slick tires + Icy rubber coated track = hilariously disasterous. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I'd say focus more on steering than anything else. Hitting the break or flooring it wont do much in a spin.
    heh heh all obviously wrong.

^This man has done it very well ;-)

Had my own experience this morning.
    Drove at quite slow speeds into a snow-covered corner, turned the wheel and ploughed straight on.
    In them olden days I would have stepped on the clutch (because even engine braking in snow can cause your wheels to slip and you to lose control) and stayed as far away from the brake as possible, but in this case I relied on the ABS, stepped on the brake, yanked the wheel and prayed.
    Just before I hit the verge, the wheels gripped and the car made the turn, phew!
    Brown trouser moment.
    Flooring it would have resulted in twisted metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

Sorry, but you're wrong.

4wd makes a huge difference on icy roads, however you still have to be very careful and it can give you a huge false sense of security.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Indeed - all cars are capable of driving in snow and ice if driven correctly, however Ireland does not have driver training for these conditions the way they do in Scandinavian countries.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

stoneill wrote: »
    Indeed - all cars are capable of driving in snow and ice if driven correctly, however Ireland does not have driver training for these conditions the way they do in Scandinavian countries.[/QUOTE

........... or Russia.

Joking aside, driving on ice depends on the temperature of the ice. If it is below -7 deg c, then it is not that difficult to get a grip. However, between 0 and -7, the ice melts under the weight of the vehicle giving a wet surface under the tyres giving a nice slippery surface on which grip is between nothing and very little. If you are on that type of ice, then brakes are not your friend, as praying is probably more useful. Steer gently, and slow down, but not less than 5 mph or you cannot steer. On ice, think you have no brakes and little steering.

scotchy wrote: »
    Sorry, but you're wrong.

4wd makes a huge difference on icy roads, however you still have to be very careful and it can give you a huge false sense of security.

No idea why you apologised, and I don't want to start a heated debate on it; but i'm not wrong. I just want 4x4 drivers to get it in their heads that when it comes to ice, you are not better off and hence should not be driving faster than other people on the road with the "i'm in a 4wd, i'll be fine" mentality.

I'll begin by backing up my argument with the following:
    My dad was a logistics officer and advanced driving instructor for the Belgian army based in Germany; I live beside mount leinster, we get copious amounts of snow and ice every winter, we've gone through plenty of jeeps, front wheel drive cars, and high powered rear wheel drive cars during my driving life and i've learnt to drive in adverse weather conditions from him. A good few of my mates are also rally drivers who share the same sentiments as I do regarding driving in icy conditions. I'm also a mechanical engineer so I take alot of interest in understanding the dynamics and mechanics of systems like this simply because I find them interesting. Additionally, if you search online for arguments concerning 2wd vs 4wd on ice, you'll see the evidence yourself from other sources.

Ice on a road lowers your coefficient of static and dynamic friction to essentially zero, this means you lose the traction your wheel has on the ground. Now that you've lost the traction to the ground, it doesn't matter whether or not you can send power to that wheel, the wheel will simply spin.

The only, and I really mean the ONLY benefit 4wd or awd provides is where you need to set off from a stand still BUT;
    • Once moving, the physics for all vehicles are equal. 1WD, 2WD, 4WD, 6WD etc.
    • All motor vehicles need traction for safe steering - 4WD/AWD does not provide extra traction for steering.
    • All cars need traction for safe braking - 4WD/AWD does not provide extra traction for braking.

The major drawback of 4wd (jeeps) which I will highlight once again is momentum. Momentum is an absolute killer on icy roads, It massively affects your cornering capability, lateral control, and braking distance.

Another drawback of 4wd systems is how their differentials work and how power is allocated to the front wheels. You get a condition called 'binding' when you turn the steering wheel of a 4wd; the inside wheel and the outside wheel want to turn at the same RPM, but obviously the outside wheel is covering more distance than the inside - you can really feel this resistance in the steering wheel when trying to drive, it's horrible and that's why it's recommended you only drive in 4wd mode at low speeds. On dry tarmac this 'binding' effect can cause damage to your drive system, on ice it can cause you to lose grip in a bend.

My final point about jeeps in icy conditions (which I will reiterate for emphasis) is human mentality; arrogance; ignorance; the 4wd god complex ... call it what you will. When i'm at home during the winter, I see lots of vehicles which have careened off the road which have been left abandoned to be rescued - most of them, jeeps.

Look, i'm not the foremost expert on driving on icy roads, I have a hell of alot to learn still. What I can say though is that i've driven in heavy ice and snow with lots of different vehicles, I've been in cars on ice and snow with pro rally drivers, and i've gotten pretty good instruction from my dad. The internet is also my friend to research these things.

So rather than just saying "nahhh, i'm right, you're wrong" i've spent a couple of minutes trying to explain myself coherently in order to try get it in everyones heads that 4WD is not going to save your ass when you hit ice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement