Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Barrel wrote: »
    I thought your driving was worse tbh,
    You could tell he was lost and trying to read the road signs in the dark and rain and when he figures out hes in the wrong lane and needs to move to the left lane you steer your car into the right lane to try to make it as awkward as possible for the other driver to get into the correct lane
    deandean wrote:
    I could see that coming.
    You had plenty of space to move left a bit, instead you kept right.
    A good driver has give as well as take

Watch the video again. I had no space to move to the left for a full car(tiny hard shoulder), there was no lane there at the time the other driver wanted to move over. The extra lane you're speaking of appears after the incident.(my lane splits into 2 then)

I was in the main and only lane(before it splits into 2) all along. The other driver tried to change lane dangerously at the last minute from a lane heading to Malahide to the lane heading for the M50(I was on this) without looking in the mirrors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

moxin wrote: »
    Watch the video again. I had no space to move to the left for a full car(tiny hard shoulder), there was no lane there at the time the other driver wanted to move over. The extra lane you're speaking of appears after the incident.(my lane splits into 2 then)

I was in the main and only lane(before it splits into 2) all along. The other driver tried to change lane dangerously at the last minute from a lane heading to Malahide to the lane heading for the M50(I was on this) without looking in the mirrors.

He tried to get in just before the M50 lane split into two. Out of interest, why did you pick the right of these two lanes? Nothing to do with him trying to get in?

fullstop wrote: »
    He tried to get in just before the M50 lane split into two. Out of interest, why did you pick the right of these two lanes? Nothing to do with him trying to get in?

I was not in the right lane at the time of the incident, there was only 1 lane heading for the M50!! Both of us were in this lane before the other driver decided to join the Malahide lane, both M50 and Malahide lanes were side by side at that point. Then at the last second the other driver wanted to move left to the M50 lane where I was, I had nowhere to move to the left give way. This all happens before the M50 lane splits into 2.

Can you not see that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Is there not a separate discussion thread for this stuff? More videos of amusing car incidents please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I was not in the right lane at the time of the incident, there was only 1 lane heading for the M50!! Both of us were in this lane before the other driver decided to join the Malahide lane, both M50 and Malahide lanes were side by side at that point. Then at the last second the other driver wanted to move left to the M50 lane where I was, I had nowhere to move to the left give way. This all happens before the M50 lane splits into 2.

Can you not see that?

I think what fullstop is asking is why after the incident, when the lane split in two, did you take the right, I'm not saying that this is the reason but it looks to me like by staying right you were making sure he couldn't get back across to take the same exit, forcing him to continue on, of course, we can't say for sure, he may have had to brake and try to squeeze in behind you for all we know...

rizzodun wrote: »
    I think what fullstop is asking is why after the incident, when the lane split in two, did you take the right, I'm not saying that this is the reason but it looks to me like by staying right you were making sure he couldn't get back across to take the same exit, forcing him to continue on, of course, we can't say for sure, he may have had to brake and try to squeeze in behind you for all we know...

After the split I headed for the right lane as it joins the M50 quicker, the left lane goes on for quite a bit before it joins the M50(halfway to the Ballymun exit). It has no relevance to the situation as I had no room to give way at the time of incident. The only way the other driver could change lanes after the incident is for me to accelerate very hard(thus breaking speed limit) and the other driver breaking to a near standstill as they were running out of room to move over, both dangerous moves.

Its quite ironic that some posters here(not yourself) are advocating drivers changing lanes at junctions on the motorway at the last second, always thought that was bad driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Barrel

Can you not see that?

When you finished beeping at the car the car was still along side you - He was still indicating and trying to change lanes and knowing this you still drove into the right lane obviously to try to block the driver from getting into the correct lane and force him to go where he didnt want to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Its quite ironic that some posters here(not yourself) are advocating drivers changing lanes at junctions on the motorway at the last second, always thought that was bad driving.

I don't see anyone advocating it, but it's pretty easy to see the difference between someone who aggressively accelerates up the outside lane and then cuts in because they think they own the road and someone who is obviously very unsure of where they are going, as in your video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Moxin clearly waited for him to screw up and did his best to drive him into the wrong exit. He clearly went into right lane for spite.

No point trying to get him to admit it.

• Advertisement

Barrel wrote: »
    When you finished beeping at the car the car was still along side you - He was still indicating and trying to change lanes and knowing this you still drove into the right lane obviously to try to block the driver from getting into the correct lane and force him to go where he didnt want to go

Nice jumping to conclusions. I kept continuing in the lane to join the M50. Remember I had to jam on the breaks to avoid a collision and then continue on my way, I had no intention at blocking as the right lane is the quickest to join the M50. The other driver made a mistake by missing the exit, should have continued on the Malahide road and then did the turnaround further on to avoid the dangerous situation.
    fullstop wrote: »
    I don't see anyone advocating it, but it's pretty easy to see the difference between someone who aggressively accelerates up the outside lane and then cuts in because they think they own the road and someone who is obviously very unsure of where they are going, as in your video.

Who was the aggressive driver? I was joining the M50 at freeflow where you are not expected to slow down or stop on the slip road(no hazards ahead), the other driver was in the Malahide lane heading to a traffic light stop where you are expected to slow down and stop. Do you even know the junction??

Well, one poster posted a post with a few thanks saying my driving was worse. There was no criticism of the reckless driving from the other driver changing lanes on a motorway junction at the last second like that. I'd love to know where that magical space at the left of me to give way at the point of the incident is, it must be invisible!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭grainnewhale

Nice jumping to conclusions. I kept continuing in the lane to join the M50. Remember I had to jam on the breaks to avoid a collision and then continue on my way, I had no intention at blocking as the right lane is the quickest to join the M50. The other driver made a mistake by missing the exit, should have continued on the Malahide road and then did the turnaround further on to avoid the dangerous situation.

Who was the aggressive driver? I was joining the M50 at freeflow where you are not expected to slow down or stop on the slip road(no hazards ahead), the other driver was in the Malahide lane heading to a traffic light stop where you are expected to slow down and stop. Do you even know the junction??

Well, one poster posted a post with a few thanks saying my driving was worse. There was no criticism of the reckless driving from the other driver changing lanes on a motorway junction at the last second like that. I'd love to know where that magical space at the left of me to give way at the point of the incident is, it must be invisible!!

see it is this aggression you need to avoid. whether driving or just on forums, its just yourself that you are bothering. try driving more courteously it makes life less stressfull.

see it is this aggression you need to avoid. whether driving or just on forums, its just yourself that you are bothering. try driving more courteously it makes life less stressfull.

What would you have done in my position in the situation?

Its obvious I could not give way to the left at the point of the incident(no space) but some posters think I deliberately blocked the other driver after when the road splits in two, that was not my intention. I'm not a mind-reader as to what the other driver was going to do after I headed on my way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I think if you had merged onto the M50, using the left(longer merge lane) people would probably be a lot less critical of your driving.
    It would have made the situation safer for the corolla driver.

The corolla driver was driving dangerously through his/her lack of awareness and should have continued up to the roundabout and turned left.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Barrel

I'm not a mind-reader as to what the other driver was going to do after I headed on my way :)

Well the fact that he slowed down to read the road signs twice and then indicated to move into the left lane, I dont think you have to be a mind reader to figure out what his intention would be after you blocked him passed him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

moxin, I think you now see why the content of this thread consists more and more of Russian dash cams. Most people who post anything personal that may be of interest end up having their driving criticised by the moral traffic police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

What would you have done in my position in the situation?

Its obvious I could not give way to the left at the point of the incident(no space) but some posters think I deliberately blocked the other driver after when the road splits in two, that was not my intention. I'm not a mind-reader as to what the other driver was going to do after I headed on my way :)
    Dash cams are there to help identify and protect the public from ppl like you. You don't have to be a mind reader,you just need to be a bit more considerate and not be an ah sole.
    The other driver was not aggressive and was clearly unsure what lane he should be in.
    Well done to you,you passed the kind and courteous test......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Warning given. This discussion ends here please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Was flicking through footage of when my car was in at a garage for a repair yesterday, the driver nearly knocked a cyclist down in the middle of Dublin! Goes to show the things that happen when your car isn't in your possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Was flicking through footage of when my car was in at a garage for a repair yesterday, the driver nearly knocked a cyclist down in the middle of Dublin! Goes to show the things that happen when your car isn't in your possession.

Please post and definately contact the offending garage.

Was a simple mistake, he stopped at the last moment, not worth mentioning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Was a simple mistake, he stopped at the last moment, not worth mentioning.

Simple mistakes can have as horrific consequences as complicated ones, post the video, let the huddled masses decide :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Just in case you didn't see the thread in After Hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Road around Kildare yesterday where treacherous with black ice all day. Caught this unlucky punter out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

There's something I don't like about those new soft-landrovers and the people who chose to drive them. Something pernicious maybe. That driver of 131-TN-377 says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

deandean wrote: »
    There's something I don't like about those new soft-landrovers and the people who chose to drive them. Something pernicious maybe. That driver of 131-TN-377 says it all.

Where's the audio !!??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

One assumes that Mr. 131-TN-377 was leaping from his vehicle to issue a heartfelt admission of wrongdoing and guilt.

"So sorry, old bean, I mistook this clearly marked roundabout for a t-junction, and momentarily thought that my right turn took precedence. No idea what was going through my mind, what a silly lapse on my part. I do hope I haven't overly inconvenienced you, old chap, and I shall return to my vehicle forthwith. Tally ho!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Ah lads, leave Mr Land Rover alone.
    He obviously spent a lot of money on that car so he can do what the hell he likes. ;-o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I got to say I wouldn't care who he is, unless he's on duty I'll go down to the station and then show the ignorant p*ick up for what he was using the dashcam,

I wouldn't have left him off like that

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

From liveleak:
    Nenagh, Co Tipperary - 15-June-2013 17:37pm
    Guy speeds up and cuts me off on the roundabout going the wrong way. Get's out and threatens to take me to the Garda station and that I don't know how to drive.

The Driver of the jeep is a reserve Garda based out of Nenagh, Co Tipperary. Today 09-01-2014 I have been informed that no charges will be brought against him and he will only receive a caution. The DPP advised that it would be too costly to proceed further

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=75c_1389363569

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

anyone surprised? .... if the shoe was on the other foot you can be damn sure the DPP would haul your ass over the coals for almost killing a garda!!!

Also, garda in a RR?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

BigEejit wrote: »
    anyone surprised? .... if the shoe was on the other foot you can be damn sure the DPP would haul your ass over the coals for almost killing a garda!!!

Also, garda in a RR?

ah don't big him up,
    he's a reserve. He's not a proper Garda

He was power tripping,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Literally the exact same thing happened to me recently. And there's no arguing with them. All I got repeated at me was that it was a roundabout and that I should 'yield to the right'. Of course if they were actually coming from the right rather than mounting the roundabout and then driving on the wrong side of the road, it would help. There'll be accidents arising from this kind of thing as the people like white jeep man who do this genuinely seem to think it's okay and they're in the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

brokenarms wrote: »
    Road around Kildare yesterday where treacherous with black ice all day. Caught this unlucky punter out.

Where abouts in Kildare is that brokenarms?. It looks so familiar and its driving me crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Tabnabs wrote: »

I wonder why there's no audio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

When I saw that idiot in RR, this came straight to my head. Probably both had the same instructor :D

Some more for interested, unfortunate no subs... Moar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Cabaal wrote: »
    ah don't big him up,
    he's a reserve. He's not a proper Garda

He was power tripping,

I'm hoping the 'caution' is 2 points for careless driving and a fine, otherwise it's a pointless exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is it normal practice at that roundabout to ignore it?
    The red fiesta that turns right beforehand also goes around the wrong way.

Not condoning the right-turners behaviour but...

Does anyone else find the title a bit dramatic?
    "Nearly caused me to crash" would imply emergency braking or similar to me.

And is it significant to readers that the right turner is driving a Range Rover instead of a Ford Focus or a commercial van for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Caliden wrote: »
    I'm hoping the 'caution' is 2 points for careless driving and a fine, otherwise it's a pointless exercise.

You are 100% right, but I think we all know that's not gona happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

yoshiktk wrote: »
    When I saw that idiot in RR, this came straight to my head. Probably both had the same instructor :D

Remember Maureen from Driving School? She failed her test something like 47 times.
    Here is her single. Don't think it was in the charts :pac:

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Is it normal practice at that roundabout to ignore it?
    The red fiesta that turns right beforehand also goes around the wrong way.
    It is Ireland so would not surprise me at all.
    Does anyone else find the title a bit dramatic?
    "Nearly caused me to crash" would imply emergency braking or similar to me.
    Slightly inaccurate in that it would appear like the RR nearly hit the car with the camera, thereby not causing it to crash but crashing into it but that is semantics.
    And is it significant to readers that the right turner is driving a Range Rover instead of a Ford Focus or a commercial van for example?
    Other than its not a nice car IMO then no, would love to hear the conversation if available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

CramCycle wrote: »
    It is Ireland so would not surprise me at all.

Its not just an Irish thing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭roadster5

Could you send it to Gay Byrnes crowd, The Garda Traffic Corps or the Garda Ombudsman maybe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

roadster5 wrote: »
    Could you send it to Gay Byrnes crowd, The Garda Traffic Corps or the Garda Ombudsman maybe ?

He wasn't speeding or drunk so everything else is fine! Has anyone ever heard of someone being done for any other driving offence ?

gutteruu wrote: »
    He wasn't speeding or drunk so everything else is fine! Has anyone ever heard of someone being done for any other driving offence ?
    My brother was done for his head light being blown, he had passed the NCT the day before so it just happened but he is the only person I have ever heard of getting done for this, despite the numbers of people driving without light, with only one light or with just parking lights on in the middle of the night in Dublin.

He deserved it though :pac:

Hell of a smash up today in Dundalk over 100 metres, they even managed to take a lamp post down. :eek: Multiple vehicles involved, looks like a possible Garda chase scenario.

• Advertisement

Fixed. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

One from today, hate this type of maneuver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You see this type of driving quite a lot around Europe, fair annoying alright but I don't let it bother me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

07 CE driver in the Toyota should really get glasses . Tallaght outside Shamrock Rovers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

Nothing major just a slight over compensation by the bus. I know they have to allow for the swing but it's a bit much I thought...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement