Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Passat TDI

Oh, mine? BMW I6 petrol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

rocky wrote: »

You aimed for that driver! Then you then nailed the throttle..

You could have killed someone! YOU should not be on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

f606ad58-47f5-4488-8254-722341a4b726

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

brokenarms wrote: »

7596d1384417812-making-probe-help-triple-facepalm.jpg

Hows your highhorse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Some gobshíte plays Chicken with a lorry on a Dutch Motorway:

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/6580943/65a3367a/totale_lul_daagt_nl_vrachtwagen_uit.html

• Advertisement

I actually didn't see him until he turned right. Was accelerating to catch the green light. If you saw him in the distance at your first viewing, fair play to you.

If I killed someone it wouldn't have been my fault ;)

Some gobshíte plays Chicken with a lorry on a Dutch Motorway:

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/6580943/65a3367a/totale_lul_daagt_nl_vrachtwagen_uit.html

Got what they deserved for putting the lorry drivers life in constant danger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

Days 298 wrote: »
    Got what they deserved for putting the lorry drivers life in constant danger.

One of my mottos... don't fcuk with a truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Lorry driver was no saint either. When he saw that the car driver was being an ass he should have hung back a bit then gone for the overtake instead of driving onto his bumper. Then he attempts to undertake the car!!.
    There was a pair of them in it if you ask me.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Lorry driver was no saint either. When he saw that the car driver was being an ass he should have hung back a bit then gone for the overtake instead of driving onto his bumper. Then he attempts to undertake the car!!.

I think the truck driver did try to overtake, several times, but the muppet in the car chose each of those occasions to accelerate. You might have thought that the truck was undertaking, but they were driving on the opposite side of the road, so the lane layout would surely be opposite to ours?

He did eventually attempt to undertake, no doubt borne out of sheer frustration. That was a mistake.

I had a similar situation last year, driving a coach on the N7. Inside lane and I catch up to a Transit van driving below the permitted speed limit. I was driving from Dublin to Cork and on a long straight road, the loss of those few extra mph's can add to your travelling time.

Anyway, he refused to speed up, or move over to allow me to pass, yet every time I tried to overtake him, he accelerated. I had to move back in to the inside lane again, whereupon, he slowed down again.

He repeated this about 4 times and I only got ahead of him after passing through the toll. I had a tag so I got through quicker than he did.

Fortunately I didn't see him again. And before the high horse brigade start quoting "Rules of the Road"/ "Use of the hard shoulder" "Coaches using the outside lane" etc. etc. I still think a little bit of courtesy, and common sense goes a long way.

Someone once said that the difference between intelligence and stupidity, is that there is a limit to a persons intelligence.

Rant over...................etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Barrel

I actually didn't see him until he turned right. Was accelerating to catch the green light. If you saw him in the distance at your first viewing, fair play to you.

Maybe if you used your window wipers when you have rain all over your windscreen at night you might have be able to see the traffic turning at the junction

They are expensive!

...and they were in auto mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Barrel wrote: »
    Maybe if you used your window wipers when you have rain all over your windscreen at night you might have be able to see the traffic turning at the junction

For feck sake, his window is hardly bloody covered in rain now is it?!
    We don't know his speed coming up to the light so even if we hear him floor it we still don't know his speed.
    I for the life of me can't see the Passat until at the 0.05s mark and even though I would have gotten ready to brake, the person in the passat is a mong for not waiting.
    People complain when no one posts a video and then when they do, some pick it apart over and over again until the cycle starts to repeat itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Barrel

bear1 wrote: »
    For feck sake, his window is hardly bloody covered in rain now is it?!

I for the life of me can't see the Passat until at the 0.05s mark

Yep its a complete paradox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

sogood wrote: »
    ... You might have thought that the truck was undertaking, but they were driving on the opposite side of the road, so the lane layout would surely be opposite to ours?

He did eventually attempt to undertake, no doubt borne out of sheer frustration. That was a mistake.

I was aware that they were driving on the opposite to us, his attempt to undertake was when he went to the right of the car.
    It would be interesting to hear the case in the courtroom though, although the outcome is clear, maybe something happened between them earlier thats not on the video.
    EDIT: Looking at it again and watching the broken white line as the truck moves out, the lines do not appear to pass much quicker and I would think that the truck was pulling up alongside to intimidate rather than to overtake. Call it perception, but I would think there is a bit more to it than bad car driving that started it, albeit he did come of worse in the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Someone ordered some hay for some high horses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Someone ordered some hay for some high horses?

Is the hay tall enough to reach?
    These posts will be cleaned up anyway soon I'd imagine so hopefully more videos for us who want to just watch.

bear1 wrote: »
    Is the hay tall enough to reach?
    These posts will be cleaned up anyway soon I'd imagine so hopefully more videos for us who want to just watch.

Might get a cam soon enough, but thankfully my own commute is very boring.
    Boring is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

How did he "aim" for that driver? I see no significant change of direction at all there. OP looks to be driving along with green light and right of way and someone cuts across him. OP did well to brake and avoid IMO.
    This forum sometimes!!!!

Barrel wrote: »

New low. Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Red light? who cares
    Maybe if you had a teletransportation device, this whole incident could have been avoid! :mad:

For shame op, for shame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

I was aware that they were driving on the opposite to us, his attempt to undertake was when he went to the right of the car.
    It would be interesting to hear the case in the courtroom though, although the outcome is clear, maybe something happened between them earlier thats not on the video.
    EDIT: Looking at it again and watching the broken white line as the truck moves out, the lines do not appear to pass much quicker and I would think that the truck was pulling up alongside to intimidate rather than to overtake. Call it perception, but I would think there is a bit more to it than bad car driving that started it, albeit he did come of worse in the end.

I take your point, but my post was based upon what I saw in the video. I didn't theorise on what may or may not have happened beforehand. That could have led me on a flight of fantasy, with any number of possible scenarios, with a multitude of posts, each promoting their own theory.

This is "Dash cam saves your ass", not "What happened next/beforehand/who upset who, etc. etc."

Whatever the reasoning behind it, the car driver was a total muppet. And telling his visitors in the hospital what actually happened might come as a consolation of sorts. I actually feel better letting idiots get on with it. Stay out of their way and let the law of averages take its' course. It's just unfortunate that usually some innocent road user falls victim to their stupid, selfish, ignorant, self centred, ego driven behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

tin79 wrote: »
    New low. Seriously?

Bottom of the barrel you might say.

RustyNut wrote: »
    Bottom of the barrel you might say.

Newer low :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

It's a truck, it can't stop on a penny like most cars. I've seen trucks in Ireland having to undertake / rapidly change lane because someone changed into their lane too soon and braking was not an option.

As for the truck drivers speed, they're not exactly the quickest vehicle to accelerate and are often speed limited.

I'd love to know who the insurance companies sided with in the case of the truck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Had a near miss with a jogger this evening, goes to show bright coloured clothing isn't worth crap at night time.
    Look at all the other joggers in the area with reflective clothing, six alone in this short clip, so much more visible.
    Spotted this fella at the last moment running over a blind hill.

I run this same stretch a few times a week and always use the footpath to the right like a normal person.

deadly, especialy with cars coming the oposite way.

Seeing as it was a Netherlands site I guess the truck was European and speed limited to 100km/h. The car driver was a level above a simple ass. He was gambling with lives. Hopefully the insurance and police sided with the truck driver. I'd be terrified driving a huge machine with a large stopping distance like that and being break checked and bullied for shts and giggles.

• Advertisement

Voodoo melon, looks like have the same cam, eprance mini 0801?

Yup, that's the one. As you prob know, quality is better during the day and with street lighting, not great with no ambient light at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Had a near miss with a jogger this evening, goes to show bright coloured clothing isn't worth crap at night time.
    Look at all the other joggers in the area with reflective clothing, six alone in this short clip, so much more visible.

I run this same stretch a few times a week and always use the footpath to the right like a normal person.

That scared the ****e out of me.

Still good enough to show someone with a death wish, that was a sxary moment, great reactions btw

First thought was theres a car coming, looks like i'm gonna hit this instead. Fair play to them too, probably followed him up the hill, anticipated it and slowed down.

Rather you then me Voodomelon. Great reaction. Not much more you could have done when someone acts suicidal.

• Advertisement

Looking at the timestamp, you literally had a second by the time you see him to react or hit him.

Btw re quality the YouTube conversion reduces the quality also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

It might have been. You are advised to slow when approaching lights lest they change, not accelerate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

tin79 wrote: »
    Newer low :)

slammed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

That voice sounds like something out of a horror movie :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I think you deliberately put the boot down just so you could blast your horn at him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

You didn't stop at the stop sign :eek:

*Phones the guards*

:pac:

stoneill wrote: »
    I think you deliberately put the boot down just so you could blast your horn at him.

No harm to wake him up, maybe he will pay more attention to the lights in future.
    I think it was appropriate horn usage, I think the other guy was sufficiently alerted, but a lot of them are so thick they would barely realise they where in a crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Terrifying. You're just lucky that the car coming the opposite direction was back a bit otherwise something was getting hit.

stoneill wrote: »

The "boot" was "put down" at least 1 second before you hear the engine and box kick down, it's not a DSG box after all.

Opposite normal traffic going through the green light should go straight ahead, so it wasn't unusual to see a car there, before him turning right.

You may be right, even if I saw him earlier (which I didn't), I probably would have still accelerated (maybe not as hard) to give him a blast of the horn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If you see the guy in the orange top give him a slap,he deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

zerks wrote: »

Absolute clown - could have been a life changing moment for both parties there - had a similar scenario with a cyclist recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Absolute clown - could have been a life changing moment for both parties there - had a similar scenario with a cyclist recently
    hi has anyone a link or could reccommend a dash cam they have used, theres so many on ebay , not sure which to chose thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

avfc1874 wrote: »
    hi has anyone a link or could reccommend a dash cam they have used, theres so many on ebay , not sure which to chose thanks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056815237

Try looking through this thread

That voice sounds like something out of a horror movie :D

Thought the same, was about to clear my throat, was all croaky!
    zerks wrote: »

He slowed down and looked back at me in disgust. He'll probably do it again too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement