Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is Irelands best TV station?

• 20-01-2012 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

I've asked a few people this and the answer was unanimous, they all said TG4. I then asked them, seeing as it was considered the best do they watch it much, they all responded no. In fact despete considering it the best they almost never watched it.

What do you think is Irelands best TV station, and do you watch it?

What is the best Irish TV station? 88 votes

RTE 1
    0% 0 votes
    RTE 2
    31% 28 votes
    TV 3
    31% 28 votes
    TG 4
    36% 32 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

BBC Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If TG4 had the rugby with English commentary I would have picked it but alas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

The Special Olympics Channel which never showed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Guill

Wow, I can't bring myself to vote for any of them!

Rte1 tries to be BBC1
    Rte2 tries to be BBC2
    Tv3 TRIES TO BE Itv
    TG4 tries to be cool.

And seriously, why does TG4 need the 4?? Is it the fourt TG? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Where is the "N/A" option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

where is the Nil option?

I seriously wonder why the heck are we paying TV license for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

RTE radio is good particularly Late Date and the Cork fellow my parents met once. Can't remember his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

1:o
    2:o
    3:o
    4:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Where is the 3E option? Or the City Channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

If TG4 had the rugby with English commentary I would have picked it but alas...

Even worse the only pundit that they seem to have found that speaks Irish to any decent level was Bertie Aherne press secretary. Nice retirement job to go with his public servant pension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I love that station with all the static its riveting stuff, some times its all like BBSSHHHHHH eesHHHHHHHH SEHHHH UHHSSHHH :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I then asked them, seeing as it was considered the best do they watch it much, they all responded no. In fact despete considering it the best they almost never watched it.

I think TG4 is the best Irish TV channel and I dont even speak Irish (or watch rugby)

Id close down RTE1 and 2 and give all the license money to TG4 on condition that they start a second channel for English speakers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Babestation ch. 906 by a country mile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Owl Tickler

I've asked a few people this and the answer was unanimous, they all said TG4.

That's because it's cool to say TG4. I bet they all watch RTE or TV3 more.

That's because it's cool to say TG4. I bet they all watch RTE or TV3 more.

TG4 > RTE > TV3

BBC 3/4 > "Yesterday" (Freeview) > all of the above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Guill wrote: »

Rte1 tries to be BBC1
    Rte2 tries to be BBC2
    Tv3 TRIES TO BE Itv
    TG4 tries to be cool.

Always thought it was a bit cheeky of TV3 to name themselves as the third Irish station as TG4 (as Tnag) came before them by a couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

That UPC help channel with that bald dude, the one that tells me how to use the sh*t remote that directs me to aforementioned channel every time the effin remote fecks up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

TG4 has far better programming on a budget far far smaller than RTE and I do actually watch it occasionally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Myself and the wife rarely tune into any one them. Some never.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Always thought it was a bit cheeky of TV3 to name themselves as the third Irish station as TG4 (as Tnag) came before them by a couple of years.

TV3 originally planned to be on air in late 1989

Almost a decade of faffing about (some on TV3's part some on the regulators) meant it didnt come on air until after TnaG/TG4

Meanwhile RTE were until recently considering launching an RTE3 channel on Saorview but economic considerations have lead to that proposal being put on ice for the foreseeable future (perhaps permanently)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

3e in my opinion. It does exactly what it says. No stupid and overpaid presenters just good comedy all day long. Malcolm in the Middle, Family Guy, American Dad etc. 3e for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Put down TV3 for 3e (as they own 3e by it's not listed) - has most relevant programs for me, but there's usually no reception so can't watch anything; if I can, it's not for long.
    RTE2 would be closest, but I rarely watch that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

TG4 brought us CU Burn, the best Irish comedy series ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

i only ever tune in to rte for news headlines ..after that back to sat for me,cant rate any of the irish channels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Its impossible to say really, Tv3 tries. I get up for work at seven RTE have the shopping channel and at least TV3 make an attempt to have some light hearter banter. You have to wait till 4pm before RTE 1 have a production of their own not including a repeat of Fair City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Another thread turns to bashing Irish TV production. How original.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I get the TG4-being-popular thing, but ITV Ireland TV3 ahead of RTÉ 1 and 2? Really???

I actually prefer Channel 6/3e over TV3... I know that sounds strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They're all shite, but still better than if we had an hour's slot on Sky News once a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

AH answer: Transvestite sex tv

Real: BBC NI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

I'm not into rugby, but I never thought it was necessary to be able to understand the commentary to enjoy watching it...

TG4 has some good shows, I really liked Ó Tholg Go Tolg it was such a good travel show, it's actually coming back in a few months. And Ros Na Rún actually has some fairly good story lines!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Wheres the option for the City channel, i have never watched but that gets my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

+1 for the city channel
    The Dublin dining guide the accents are freaking hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Predalien wrote: »
    That UPC help channel with that bald dude, the one that tells me how to use the sh*t remote that directs me to aforementioned channel every time the effin remote fecks up.

:eek: So it does happen to other people!? I fucking hate when that happens. Try to turn the telly up and Boom! that baldy bastard. Try to + up a couple of stations and Bang! baldy fucker. Least now I know it's not just me. I feel your pain brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

Yeah I'd have to agree with the people who voted BBC2 Northern Ireland. Good channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭EASYNEWS

Until recently I could only get a very bad reception on analogue Irish channels so I mainly watched the free to air BBC, ITV etc. I now have all the digital Irish channels and watch & enjoy them much more the the British ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Underdraft wrote: »
    Yeah I'd have to agree with the people who voted BBC2 Northern Ireland. Good channel.

remember the good old days watching Red Dwarf first time round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Best Films TG4

wish they would stop all the irish language stuff though. I just flick to satellite.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    wish they would stop all the irish language stuff .

In fairness some of it is pretty good when one gets used to watching with the subtitles on and the sound turned down :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

TG4 is excellent IMO. RTE1 has some decent stuff, don't really watch anything on RTE2.

TV3 = chav TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Is maith liom TG4!

It does good music documentaries, interesting documentaries in general and I like me some Ros Na Rún from time to time (subtitles are handy!).
    It also has some weird but very interesting French and German films.

TV3 is pathetic though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Guill wrote: »

Rte1 tries to be BBC1
    Rte2 tries to be BBC2
    Tv3 TRIES TO BE Itv
    TG4 tries to be cool.

Is TV3 a third TV ? No

TG4 is the best by a mile, showing interesting films, a couple of decent homegrown shows and of course rugby matches that the others don't have rights to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I rarely watch any of the Irish TV channels, but whenever I have stumbled across something interesting it's usually on TG4.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Is TV3 a third TV ? No

Turd TV perhaps ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Best films-TG4
    Best Documentaries- TG4
    Best News and Current Affairs Show- Tonight With Vincent Browne, TV3
    Best Television Shows-RTE, cause they have a massive budget and just buy the latest American ones
    Best home produced shows-TG4, would have said RTE about 10 years ago, they've been awful since
    Best value for money-TG4
    Worst value for money- RTE
    Best Overall- TG4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

EASYNEWS wrote: »
    Until recently I could only get a very bad reception on analogue Irish channels so I mainly watched the free to air BBC, ITV etc. I now have all the digital Irish channels and watch & enjoy them much more the the British ones.

Same here, all joking aside for a country this small all the main tv channels are of a high standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

So the consensus is that TG4 is the best irish channel by a country mile, yet has an audience share of 2.2% and falling. I'm finding it hard to square that circle.

How many people here who have said it is the best actually watch it on a regular basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Generally watch the documentaries they show from time to time. The rest of it not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Predalien wrote: »

I f***ing HATE that remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I think that with a bigger budget, TV3 could be great. I enjoy a few of their programmes but the production always feels cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I'd say it rte2, there some decent shows on it but the can be on very late. of the irish channels i probably watch it most

mobs mheiriica & shows like that, there's one being shown now about women in the ira are good enough on tg4. thats the only time i'd ever watch it though

imo channel 4's the best terrestrial tv channel i get

• Advertisement
Advertisement