Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is Irelands best TV station?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

TG4 started out as a pirate station!

"A group of Irish speakers spent time imprisoned in Mountjoy Prison in the eighties when they refused to pay for a television license during a campaign to have more Irish on TV. As part of this campaign a pirate television station was set up in the Connemara Gaeltacht, which laid the foundation for TnaG/TG4."

"In 1980, a new group called Coiste ar son Teilifis Gaeltachta (The Committee for Irish-Language Television) was set up and in 1987 after years of delays, including the sudden death of their technician who was to build the transmitter, they set up the pirate television station Telefís na Gaeltachta. Eighteen hours of live and pre-recorded programming was broadcast between 2 and 5 November 1987."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

TG4 started out as a pirate station!

Sort of

As did RnaG (Saor Radio Connemra)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Sindri wrote: »
    RTE radio is good particularly Late Date and the Cork fellow my parents met once. Can't remember his name.

TV!!! Station not radio TV!!!

Tv3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Where is the 'none of them' option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

this poll is flawed

irish tv stations are as follows

RTE 1
    RTE +1 (When it is actually on 1900 - 0100)
    RTE 2 HD
    TV 3
    3e
    TG4
    RTE NEWS
    RTE JNR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'd say 3e for the selection of shows it had, lots of comedy stuff and some good dramas too.

RTE 1 & 2 and TG4 are ok channels, not great but not bad, either. I'd probably watch RTE 2 the most of those but just because it happened to have more stuff on that I liked.

I only ever watch TV3 for football or sometimes they have a good film on.

When I last lived in Ireland, I had Sky so it was all irrelevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Guill wrote: »
    Wow, I can't bring myself to vote for any of them!

Rte1 tries to be BBC1
    Rte2 tries to be BBC2
    Tv3 TRIES TO BE Itv
    TG4 tries to be cool.

And seriously, why does TG4 need the 4?? Is it the fourt TG? No.

Sad state of affairs isnt it, we gain of Independence from them now we copy them. Pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

The off button!

this poll is flawed

irish tv stations are as follows

RTE 1
    RTE +1 (When it is actually on 1900 - 0100)
    RTE 2 HD
    TV 3
    3e
    TG4
    RTE NEWS
    RTE JNR

City Channel ?

There are/were other cable/local/satellite/pirate channels too but not sure which (if any) are still around

RTE JR and +1 are effectively the same channel (timeshare) besides +1 channels are a rather pointless waste of space for people who cant figure out how to record stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

NinjaK wrote: »
    Sad state of affairs isnt it, we gain of Independence from them now we copy them. Pathetic

Sad indeed. A few years back the good people of Donegal saw fit to elect a TD who vowed to ensure that they could continue to receive BBC and ITV illegally.
    Now they have their British TV legally they elect Sinn Fein.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Gildea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    City Channel ?

There are/were other cable/local/satellite/pirate channels too but not sure which (if any) are still around

RTE JR and +1 are effectively the same channel (timeshare) besides +1 channels are a rather pointless waste of space for people who cant figure out how to record stuff.

city channel is only regional.... not everyone can view that channel in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

So the consensus is that TG4 is the best irish channel by a country mile, yet has an audience share of 2.2% and falling. I'm finding it hard to square that circle.

How many people here who have said it is the best actually watch it on a regular basis?

TG4 is well and away the best, and I watch it every day;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    City Channel ?

city channel is only regional.... not everyone can view that channel in ireland

Not everyone can receive 3e either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I voted TV3.

I don't ever watch it. I just prefer it to the others because it doesn't cost me money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭justme7136

Is that all we have :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Sleepy wrote: »
    I voted TV3.

I don't ever watch it. I just prefer it to the others because it doesn't cost me money.

Free stuff and ****e are usually one and the same alright.

Take out ITV's "reality" :rolleyes: rubbish and TV3 would have nothing. Well, bar Vinnie Browne, maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭justme7136

Everyone so excited about tv3 last night, tallaght fornia like come on did anyone like that crap

Sad indeed. A few years back the good people of Donegal saw fit to elect a TD who vowed to ensure that they could continue to receive BBC and ITV illegally.
    Now they have their British TV legally they elect Sinn Fein.

To be fair the constituency in question (Donegal SW) is a three seater and its entirely possible that the folks who voted for Gildea were not necessairly the same folks who voted for Doherty ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It depends what you're looking for.

Irish news / current affairs : RTE 1 / RTE online.
    Documentary / international news : BBC 2.
    General Entertainment : Channel 4.

BBC can be embarrassingly bad too : The One Show ?! Cash in the Attic ... (shudder).
    BBC Radio 4 ... (tries hard to keep eyes open while listening)

RTE 2 can also sometimes give E4 a run for its money in terms of US imports.

I don't think BBC NI really can compete with RTE in terms of local output. Any BBC NI output tends to be not great, the BBC UK-wide output is usually excellent though.

As for TV3 ... Vincent Brown can sometimes turn out to be quite interesting, but it reminds me of badly produced US PBS local news.

TV3 : PLEASE learn how to do lighting!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

That's because it's cool to say TG4. I bet they all watch RTE or TV3 more.
    Oh yes. The 'its cool to be' line
    Normally found in the same area as
    Its cool to be gay
    Its cool to be an atheist
    Its cool to attack the poor catholic church
    Its cool to (insert anything to have an opinion on but which you cannot artriculate a defense of)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I have hundreds of channels, it takes me ages to find out there is nothing on.

I suppose SKY+ is my TV channel.

Its cool to attack the poor catholic church

Given that they are one of (if not THE) the biggest landowners in the world you could have come up with more appropriate adjectives to prefix the organisation in question.
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Not everyone can receive 3e either.

Or RTE1 or 2 or TG4 or (especially) TV3.....lucky sods :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Free stuff and ****e are usually one and the same alright.

Take out ITV's "reality" :rolleyes: rubbish and TV3 would have nothing. Well, bar Vinnie Browne, maybe.
    My point was I don't ever watch those channels*. I resent having to pay a TV license/broadcasting charge to fund three out of the four of them.

Most of my television viewing is of satellite channels: History, Biography, National Geo, Discovery etc. Quite fond of Channel 4 too.

*the one exception tends to be the Late Late Toy Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Seanie06

Tg4 gan dabt!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

TV3 value for money wise certainly.

Advertisement