Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celbridge - Kid's Activities

Options
  • 20-01-2012 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I'm new to posting on Boards so apologies if this has been covered but some quick searches aren't showing up anything.

My family (husband & 2 kids; DS 4yrs & DD 6 months) are moving to Celbridge next month and am researching what is available locally for us to get involved in and meet people in the area.

Does the GAA have sessions for young kids - my son is 4? Would I have to go further afield for swimming lessons for him?

I would love to get involved in Mother/Baby groups while on Maternity Leave for another few months - Gymboree & playzone seem best bet, any experiences? I really don't know anyone in area so would love to meet up with other Moms.

Any other general advice for a Celbridge Newbie? :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

There's a mother/toddler group in the Mill, check link below.
    After that I can't help much in that area but it's a start.

http://www.celbridgemillcommunitycentre.ie/page20.aspx

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am in Maynooth with a 3 year old and a 1 year old.
    There is a fantastic play ground here suitable for kids of all ages.
    There is the library too and my kids are huge fans of Playzone in Celbridge too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

OP , Welcome to Celbridge. we have a 5.5 YO and a 6 MO.

As Moonbeam has indicated there is a playground ( although I would hesitate calling it fantastic ), there is however a truly fantastic playground in Maynooth. Saying that we use the playground in Celbridge a lot ( it's next to our daughters school ) , but find that after 4pm in the summer it's basically a ' no go ' area with little ones because the older kids take it over. It does suffer from quite a lot of vandalism and I have had cause to ' have words' with some of the older kids when I have been there on occasion.

We find the natural playground at Castletown House is a real bonus, great area for walks/bike rides exploring woods etc.

Playzone is pretty good , my eldest ( 6 in Feb ) loves it , although I think this may change in a year :)

The mother/toddler group in the Mill stopped for a while , but I have heard it's re-started again. My wife found this fantastic and made many friends through there. The Mill it'self is a great resource for the local community with many groups and clubs making their home there.

For swimming lessons , St Raphael's did have lessons but had a long waiting list , we used NUI Maynooth , very reasonably priced. The Glenroyal in Maynooth I believe also does them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Loads of places for swimming lessons and no where to go swimming.

I meant the play ground in Maynooth:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Loads of places for swimming lessons and no where to go swimming.

I meant the play ground in Maynooth:)

Moonbeam , my apologies , re-reading your post I can see that now .

At least we agree , the playground in Maynooth is fantastic and a great asset to the community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Hi

The GAA club definitely does kids teams, not sure what age they start though, give them a call.

There is lots of activities for kids in the Mill too, kickboxing, soccer, karate and there is a gymnastics for kids class – Excel, think they are up near Tesco.

The nearest swimming pools would be Clondalkin (cheap but seems to be very busy at weekends), Glenroyal Maynooth (Lovely but expensive), Palmerstown (Used to go all the time, started to look run down a few years ago, couldn’t tell you what it’s like now) and Naas, which I use these days and find really good, clean and reasonably priced.

I brought my daughter to Gymboree in Celbridge over the xmas for a birthday party, seemed to be well equipped for toddlers and the staff were nice/enthusiastic with the kids, not sure what the mother/toddler groups would be like though. Playzone is good.

There is a nice little playground in the Leixlip amenities centre, opposite Intel, it’s usually pretty quiet.

In Celbridge, you really can’t beat a walk/bike ride up to Castletown house or feeding the ducks at the footbridge, free and great fun for the kids.

It’s a real shame they closed the Celbridge Abbey to the general public, used to love the walks in there, and they had a nice playground too

Advertisement