Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agents - x@¿? mad.

Options
  • 20-01-2012 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭

I was interested in this property
    http://www.daft.ie/1338390
    I emailed the EA 23 Nov 2011 and waited.
    I emailed the EA again on 11 Dec 2011 requesting a reply to mmy orininal email (with copy of original) and I waited.
    I emailed the EA again today. Got a reply today as well - fantastic - but what did the EA say?
    The property has been let on a short term lease so won’t be able to take any photographs for now.
    We received a bid of €88,000 which the vendor declined.

Now, I ask, why is the EA advertising the property for 75k when the vendor/owner won't accept less than 88k.

It gets right up my nose - Sorry Mr. EA, but I won't be dealing with you again, there are plenty more properties out there that interest me.

Mr seller, get your act together, either put the property up for sale at a price, but don't go messing people about.

Rant over!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 88k could be explained by the fact that the property went on the market at 215k. The 88k could have been rejected prior to the 165k->75k cut in asking:

http://collapso.dyndns.org/JavaHost/servlet/MySQLsalehistory?id=338390

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

The ad has €75k in the headline but says "Offers in excess of €95,000.00" further down.

BTW, the ad was updated morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm thinking so that the EA can tell the seller that there has been lots of interest, but they've been all lower than what the seller wants...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Does the EA think the property is in Scotland?? With that offers in excess malarkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm thinking so that the EA can tell the seller that there has been lots of interest, but they've been all lower than what the seller wants...

I was thinking around the 75k mark might be alright - without seeing the property and would be worth a viewing.
    At 88k + I am not even interested in viewing. There are plenty more properties out there which are better value.

EAs don't want time wasters - I don't want time wasting EAs and sellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There's a DNG for sale sign on the lawn... I wonder how old that picture is?

http://g.co/maps/wm868 Copyright 2009 Google? :pac:

the_syco wrote: »
    There's a DNG for sale sign on the lawn... I wonder how old that picture is?

http://g.co/maps/wm868 Copyright 2009 Google? :pac:

House has been on the market since January 2008!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It's actually a DNG 'To Let' sign in the window and on the lawn, not a for sale sign.

Unless we actually become an EA, I'm afraid we will never, ever understand what goes on in their little heads!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

convert wrote: »
    Unless we actually become an EA, I'm afraid we will never, ever understand what goes on in their little heads!

Strictly speaking, EAs take instructions from their clients (although part of their role is to advise their clients). You can't always blame the EA, because sometimes it is the client who has strange ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Strictly speaking, EAs take instructions from their clients (although part of their role is to advise their clients). You can't always blame the EA, because sometimes it is the client who has strange ideas.

You sound like you're an EA!!

Just to clarify, my comments were directed towards the absolute inability of most EAs to reply to emails or phone calls. And when they do reply to emails they just include what information they want and completely ignore any other questions that a prospective buyer/tenant may have.

Example: I was looking for places to rent, emailed the EA and heard nothing back for about a week. Then I get a random email, entitled 'viewing today at 5pm' and so few details in the body of the text that I actually had to go and chek my sent mail box to figure out to which property to email was referring. Then I emailed asking what time the viewing would finish. Heard nothing. Phoned the EA. No reply. Tried again. Same thing, so left a voicemail. Surprise, surprise, no returned call. Never heard from them again.

Then you have the EAs who don't listen to a word you say: went to view an apartment and had to put up with the EA ranting about tenants and how she had to view the places she rents every few months because tenants are awful. And she'd know if somebody was sleeping full time in the guest room, etc., etc., etc. She then complained because I wanted to check the shower, or look at some of the rooms/storage again. And when leaving she asked would I phone her in the morning and let her know my decision. I said I couldn't because I was bringing an elderly family member to a hospital visit. 11am the following morning I get a snotty voicemail asking why I hadn't phoned her. Rang her back after lunch, told her why, to which she said 'oh, right... so, what about the apartment?' :rolleyes:

Then you have the EAs who don't turn up, and don't even have the courtesty to call to cancel or apologise for missing the appointment...

The EAs who are impossible to contact because they don't reply to emails or return calls...

The EAs who tell their clients they'll do X, Y and Z and don't bother to do any of them.

The EAs who don't inform their clients of bids on the house because they're 'too low'...

The EAs who send out information about the wrong house - don't get me started on that one. This happened to me on two occasions (the same EA), and then 2 months later I get a phone call to ask if they could help me find a house. Eh, not bloodly likely when you can't get basic info right and don't even bother putting a covering note or even a compliments slip in the envelope with the details of the house.

If most companies did that they'd be out of business very quickly - I don't understand how EAs get away with it and still have a business!

• Advertisement

convert wrote: »
    You sound like you're an EA!!
    Just to be clear: I'm not, nor do I move in the same circles as them.
    <snipped for brevity>...
    If most companies did that they'd be out of business very quickly - I don't understand how EAs get away with it and still have a business!
    Until the runaway train reached the end of the track, life was far too easy for EAs: purchasers were chasing them, and selling involved no effort. Now that the situation is different, life is tougher for EAs (not that I mind: swings and roundabouts). I share your surprise that certain EAs survive in business.

I simply wanted to point out that not all the problems emanate from EAs. Some things, like bizarre pricing, can be the responsibility of their clients.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by convert viewpost.gif

Then the EA should reflect that in their adverts.

Advertising a price of 77,000, knowing that it will be refused is surely deception - but then, Eas are good at that, especially as many have a disclaimer in place that nothing they say about a property should be taken as gospel. So, I waste my time and money chasing a property which ultimately, once seen, I will not buy because the EA inflated the quality of the property or did nit mention that it needed work.
    Hence, I now will never consider a property that has no or only one picture - it generally turns out that the interior needs a lot of work.

I fully agree with convert's post #11

odds_on wrote: »
    Then the EA should reflect that in their adverts.

Advertising a price of 77,000, knowing that it will be refused is surely deception - but then, Eas are good at that, especially as many have a disclaimer in place that nothing they say about a property should be taken as gospel. So, I waste my time and money chasing a property which ultimately, once seen, I will not buy because the EA inflated the quality of the property or did nit mention that it needed work.
    Hence, I now will never consider a property that has no or only one picture - it generally turns out that the interior needs a lot of work.

I fully agree with convert's post #11

Be careful with your attributions: it's my words that you are disagreeing with.

Remember that the EA is the servant of the seller and should comply with all lawful directions given by the client. Can you really imagine an EA including in an advertisement a warning such as "My client has instructed me to consider offers over €X, but I think he is wrong"?

Be careful with your attributions: it's my words that you are disagreeing with.

Remember that the EA is the servant of the seller and should comply with all lawful directions given by the client. Can you really imagine an EA including in an advertisement a warning such as "My client has instructed me to consider offers over €X, but I think he is wrong"?

Disclaimer from one Estate Agent:
    Disclaimer:- These particulars are given on the strict understanding that they will not form part of any contract. Whilst every care has been taken in preparing these particulars no responsibility is taken for any inaccuracies or errors.

And another:
    Disclaimer:
    The particulars herein are confidential and are given on the understanding that they will not be construed as part of a contract, conveyance or lease. While every care has been taken in compiling the information we can give no guarantee as to the accuracy thereof. All reasonable offers will be submitted to the Vendors for consideration.

A bit of a cop out, really. They seem to take no responsibility for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭asomeday

Totally agree that EAs are all over the shop-you would think they'd be dying to get the business! I live in the area of that property & I've dealt with one particular EA who is pushing prices up and pushing myself and other half to make offers on properties telling us there's another buyer closing the sale next week & it's all total bull!

Advertisement