Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airport Extreme

• 20-01-2012 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I have a wireless network setup at home using UPC 20MB.
    Its mainly ok, but I find that sometimes when using my iPAD upstairs the signal is only ok. Also my ATV2 sometimes nees to buffer a little bit.

I was just wondering if putting in an airport extreme would boost my signal. Has anybody done this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭AlanD

obriea3 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I have a wireless network setup at home using UPC 20MB.
    Its mainly ok, but I find that sometimes when using my iPAD upstairs the signal is only ok. Also my ATV2 sometimes nees to buffer a little bit.

I was just wondering if putting in an airport extreme would boost my signal. Has anybody done this?

Thanks

You could get an Airport Express and use it as a wifi extender. I have an extreme upstairs and an express downstairs. Definitely helps the quality of the signal.

If buying an extreme, wait though. Apple expected to implement new 802.11ac standard this year which is super fast gigabit wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i have an old airport extreme base station lying unused in a box in the attic - is there any use i could put it to?

it's this one :

airport-base-station.gif

I have ethernet ports in the rooms, and use an ASUS router for wireless connection.

could the airport be used as an extender and would it play nice with a pc setup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

AlanD wrote: »
    You could get an Airport Express and use it as a wifi extender. I have an extreme upstairs and an express downstairs. Definitely helps the quality of the signal.

If buying an extreme, wait though. Apple expected to implement new 802.11ac standard this year which is super fast gigabit wifi.

Thanks for the info.
    I'll probable wait and see if they implement the new standard.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

ablelocks wrote: »
    i have an old airport extreme base station lying unused in a box in the attic - is there any use i could put it to?

could the airport be used as an extender and would it play nice with a pc setup?

If you can connect it to the ASUS via Ethernet, then you would have a pretty strong connection and should work very well so long as you configure it to extend the network and not create new network

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

I wouldn't wait for the new 802.11ac extreme to be honest. Not unless your planning on buying a new laptop when it's available on board.

• Advertisement
Advertisement