Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

primary school in dublin 8

• 20-01-2012 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi.

Do you have any opinions about primary schools in the Dublin 8 area?
    Kilmainham/Heuston South Quarters/Inchicore etc.
    Where do you, or your friend or family, send the kids to?
    Which one could you recommend?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭QM79

My daughter currently attends Inchicore National School (The Model) on Sarsfield Road. It is a DEIS school so up until now the school has had great extras (support teachers, free lunches, cheap book rental scheme and no voluntary contributions). The class sizes are small which I think is great. For the most part the teachers are excellent with great ideas and teach very well. The building is lovely but very old and not always the best and some prefabs are used, but to my surprise they actually seem quite comfy. I think all classrooms have interactive white boards. However there is currently no hall for PE and the students use the Oblates nearby or Liffey Gaels. But the school is in the middle of having a new building built and eventually the old building will be refurbished (which I think will be gorgeous as it really is a lovely building). However the new building project is currently stalled as there were problems with the previous contractor (very frustrating) but hopefully it will re start soon. When the new building and the refurb are complete the school will really be an even better asset to the Inchicore area.

Communication between school and parents has also improved in the last couple of years (used to be poor, only finding out about days off the day before) but the school now texts a lot of parents various points of information. This could be done further in advance but it's better than nothing. Initially my daughter did find some of the children in her class difficult to deal with (we moved here from the UK when she was 7) as they seemed a little insular and sometimes would give her a hard time about her accent, the lunches she brought to school (veg, fruit) and various other things. The teachers were very good and made sure things did not escalate but things like this probably happen in most schools. My daughter did learn to stand up for herself and ignore those children who were rude and now has some lovely friends.

It does not have a proper afterschool or breakfast club and I would love to see something like this developed once the new buildings are in place. It would be a massive asset for working parents. The school is Catholic but children can sit out of religion classes. And I know there were at least 2 in my daughters class who do not do religion. It doesn't seem to be a problem. Overall its a good school which can only improve.

Other schools in the area are the Gael Scoil in the War Memorial Gardens, the Oblates on Tyrconnell Road (quite a big primary school) and Griffith Barracks Educate Together on the South Circular Road. This was my first choice of school but was way oversubscribed when I enquired. Hope this helps.

Advertisement