Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ramos v Rigondeaux Fri 20/1

• 20-01-2012 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

http://www.worldboxingnews.net/2011/07/new-champ-ramos-faces-tough-first.html

Ramos in tough first defence vs Rigondeaux tonight
    Ramos v Rigondeaux is live on ShoSports from 11pm ET/PT and 4am on Premier Sports (Sky channel 433) in the UK

No sooner had new World Boxing Association super-bantamweight champion Rico “Suavecito” Ramos had his arm raised victoriously after his seventh-round knockout of defending champion Akishumni Shimoda last July in Atlantic City, WBA Interim titlist Guillermo “The Jackal” Rigondeaux issued an instant challenge to the 24-year-old Ramos for a supreme 122-pound showdown.

The Shimoda-Ramos fight was on the verge of being called off when Rigondeaux’ Irish manager, Gary Hyde, through renown boxing lawyer Patrick English, lodged an objection to the WBA. The action resulted in the promoters for both Shimoda and Ramos being instructed to make a deal with Team Rigondeaux or their fight wouldn’t be sanctioned.

As WBA world Interim champion, Rigo should have been the next challenger for Shimoda's title, but the Japanese champion by-passed Rigondeaux in favor of an easier title defense against Ramos.

Top Rank-promoted Rigo will now fight Ramos (20-0, 7 KOs) and the Cuban sensation has vowed to take the title belt from Ramos. “I stepped aside and let the fight go ahead,” Rigondeaux explained, “even though they ignored the fact that I was next in line. Ramos will soon regret that he won the title when we get it on.

“Ramos is a tough, aggressive fighter but those types of fighters suit me. I promise he will not have enough time to enjoy this victory because I will be taking that belt from him when we meet in the ring. My goal is to be the undisputed 122-pound world champion and I want to achieve this goal by 2013.”

Rigondeaux, arguably the greatest amateur boxer of all-time, defected from Cuba and made his pro debut May 22, 2009, won the NABA super bantamweight title in his third action as a pro and last November in only his seventh fight, he won a 12-round decision against Ricardo Cordoba (37-2-2) to become the WBA Interim 122-pound divisional champion. His last fight was an opening-round destruction of former European champion Willie Casey (11-1) last March in Dublin.

A crafty southpaw and deadly body puncher, Rigondeaux (8-0, 6 KOs) now fights out of Miami, and trains in Houston with Ronnie Shields. Rigo is a 2-time Olympic Gold Medalist, as well as a 7-time national champion who captured a pair of World Championship titles during his amazing 243-4 amateur career.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Looking forward to this. Rigondeaux on points I reckon. Ramos has good power but it's hard to imagine him landing much tonight. Will be interesting to see if Rigondeaux provides a bit more action than he did against Cordoba. His willingness to exchange is one of the question marks that hangs over him at pro level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Thought it was a bad clash of styles but Rigondeaux showed serious killer instinct again....class. Reckon he'd do a job on Donaire but can't see Arum taking that kind of risk with Donaire

Easy for Rigondeaux. Ramos, despite being the belt holder, was simply not in his class. His activity level is still going to be an issue in terms of promoting him, but it was another display of his technical excellence. Called out Donaire after the fight.

Henno30 wrote: »
    Easy for Rigondeaux. Ramos, despite being the belt holder, was simply not in his class. His activity level is still going to be an issue in terms of promoting him, but it was another display of his technical excellence. Called out Donaire after the fight.

Agreed...needs to be far more active. Great he called out Donaire...setanta cut the show before interview. Is Gary Hyde still involved with him? Didnt hear him mentioned or see him tonight?

rebelomar wrote: »
    Agreed...needs to be far more active. Great he called out Donaire...setanta cut the show before interview. Is Gary Hyde still involved with him? Didnt hear him mentioned or see him tonight?

Yeah, he's still his manager. Part of the problem is that he's not a big enough name yet to get away with low action fights. If you watch a lot of FMJr's early fights you hear the crowd react in pretty much the same way. Whether or not he'll need to entertain a bit more before Arum will make a match with Donaire remains to be seen. Not as if Donaire doesn't have plenty of options.

Link to the fight here for those who missed it - http://www.allthebestfights.com/ramos-vs-rigondeaux-full-fight-video-pelea-2012/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

a class apart alright, round 1 round 6 were great; i'd have no problem seeing casey in there v ramos, ramos looks too nervous, but rightly so on that fight, rigondeaux could easily have done what he did in round 6 in round 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

A tame affair for most rds. Stil not sold on Rigo. Want to see him in a fight against a real good fighter. Ramos for a world champion looked nothing special. 9 fights in, Rigo, make your mark. Rigo looks to be a heavy body hitter.

Ramos after the first shot to the body pretended that he was hurt from an "illegal" head shot. He clearly was hurt from the body shot and wanted a breather.

walshb wrote: »
    A tame affair for most rds. Stil not sold on Rigo. Want to see him in a fight against a real good fighter. Ramos for a world champion looked nothing special. 9 fights in, Rigo, make your mark. Rigo lloks to be a heavy body hitter.

Ramos after the first shot to the body pretended that he was hurt from an "illegal" head shot. He clearly was hurt from the body shot and wanted a breather.

I think the ring have it right when they describe guys like Ramos as title holders rather than world champions.

Rigondeaux can only make his mark when the best guys agree to fight him, and to be fair he's wasted no time in calling them out. He wanted bigger fights last year but his management wouldn't give them to him. It wasn't his fault that Ramos refused to exchange the other night, when he gets into the ring with guys who have the confidence to do so he could look incredible.

I think the ring have it right when they describe guys like Ramos as title holders rather than world champions.

Rigondeaux can only make his mark when the best guys agree to fight him, and to be fair he's wasted no time in calling them out. He wanted bigger fights last year but his management wouldn't give them to him. It wasn't his fault that Ramos refused to exchange the other night, when he gets into the ring with guys who have the confidence to do so he could look incredible.

I hope so, but even against Cordoba, who was never anything special, Rigo didn't look great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

i rate rigo...nice power, speed, technique and is vicous

i think he'll do well, hopefully he gets the fights...he might have to change promoters to do well IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭duagre

Rigondeaux has a style and skill set which few will be able to deal with.
    No doubt he will be tough to beat. That is without question. Unfortunately, it's also hugely boring to watch the majority of the time.

duagre wrote: »
    No doubt he will be tough to beat. That is without question. Unfortunately, it's also hugely boring to watch the majority of the time.

Agree fully. I just can't warm to him. Don't expect Nigel Benn action, but juts want a little more anytime I do see him. Almost fall asleep at times watching him.

walshb wrote: »
    duagre wrote: »

Agree fully. I just can't warm to him. Don't expect Nigel Benn action, but juts want a little more anytime I do see him. Almost fall asleep at times watching him.

did u not even like him in round 1 and 6?

makl wrote: »
    did u not even like him in round 1 and 6?

Yes, when he bothers and commits he can be good to watch. I just find him a little too tentative and relaxed. He was like this in the ams too. Hell of a talent, and slick and neat, but gimme some more bloody action.

I think he could have had ramos out of there in round 2 and I can't understand why he didn't. Hopefully we'll see him v Donaire soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Contrary to most people here I love watching him. Yes, he is tentative and relaxed, but I believe he never commits until he sees the perfect chance, that's why we gets so many beautiful shots in.

Sweet boxer, reminds me of a cat with a mouse. Hope he fights Donaire.

Ever see the clip of Katie Taylor sparring with Rigondeaux?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Ever see the clip of Katie Taylor sparring with Rigondeaux?

Very good of Rigo to give Katie a round or two,I doubt if there is anyone about to beat either of them at the present time

D'ont thin Rigo is gonna get a shot at Donaire anytime soon. Whou would ye like to see him fight in the meantime?

Advertisement