Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*****Boil water notice in effect*****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

I've heard that the council switched back on the supply from Bleach Lough for those in the Kildimo/Pallaskenry catchment area. If this is still suitable for use why cant they back-pump it to their plant in Askeaton for the rest of their cunsumers.

The oil is heavy grade, if the stream/river backs-up during tides will the council ever be able to get rid of the oil left on the river/stream banks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

phog wrote: »
    I've heard that the council switched back on the supply from Bleach Lough for those in the Kildimo/Pallaskenry catchment area. If this is still suitable for use why cant they back-pump it to their plant in Askeaton for the rest of their cunsumers.

The oil is heavy grade, if the stream/river backs-up during tides will the council ever be able to get rid of the oil left on the river/stream banks?

i dont think bleach lough would handle that and also seeing as we are feeding off it and on boil notice then id imagine it hasnt been kept to standard either

i dont think bleach lough would handle that and also seeing as we are feeding off it and on boil notice then id imagine it hasnt been kept to standard either

It would surely keep going for a couple of days/week and the treatment plant would hardly cost a fortune to put back into production.

How much will it cost to have trucks bringing water to the towns & villages.

phog wrote: »
    It would surely keep going for a couple of days/week and the treatment plant would hardly cost a fortune to put back into production.

How much will it cost to have trucks bringing water to the towns & villages.

lol..trucks bring water to towns and villages...the IMF will never allow that!

i dont think it would last a couple of days even...its not that big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

off topic, but any idea where it originated?
    how long will it take to dilute/eradicate.?
    can we take it there will be large amounts of fish killed.?

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    off topic, but any idea where it originated?
    how long will it take to dilute/eradicate.?
    can we take it there will be large amounts of fish killed.?

I think RTE reported it was back near NCW

I think if the oil seeps through to tidal waters (even the back up of fresh water) the problem could take a long time time to clean up as you'll need a tide of similar height or higher to flush the banks.

Almost certainly they'll be a fish kill, the quantity will depend on how quickly the council can trap the flow of oil and going by RTE I think the underestimated the quantity of oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

First off as I live in Kildimo/Pallaskenry - Thanks to the Drifter for bringing this to my attention and keeping myself and my family, including an infant safe.

- Why in the fcuk do I have to hear about this accidentally on Boards?

Limerick County Councils recommends you boil your water for ten mins as it has 9 gallons of oil in it that might kill your kids but they are playing it cool and haven't told anyone yet?????????????? (??????????)

Fcuking ****......... I bet some prick on €120k a year opted to downgrade the news in case the incident reflected badly on his career to date, playing 36 holes of golf a day.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It was one of the main stories on the 21:00 news as well, Mango Joe. No need for the abusive language.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Mango Joe wrote: »
    First off as I live in Kildimo/Pallaskenry - Thanks to the Drifter for bringing this to my attention and keeping myself and my family, including an infant safe.

Limerick County Councils recommends you boil your water for ten mins as it has 9 gallons of oil in it that might kill your kids but they are playing it cool and haven't told anyone yet?????????????? (??????????)

Fcuking ****......... I bet some prick on €120k a year opted to downgrade the news in case the incident reflected badly on his career to date, playing 36 holes of golf a day.

It was all over the news, you must have been asleep or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

lol..trucks bring water to towns and villages...the IMF will never allow that!

i dont think it would last a couple of days even...its not that big.

Two water trucks in Foynes, two in Askeaton, and one in Shanagolden. Looks like it is going to last a lot longer than a few days, and given the type of oil involved and the amount of it, it is looking like a major problem.

Looks like there will be a major wildlife kill in the Deel, and the Shannon Estuary will be hit as well. Small tidal rivers that connect to the Shannon estuary like the White river will be at risk also.

• Advertisement

It's been on RTE and 95FM news yesterday and I think it was on RTE homepage yesterday too.

How would you suggest they contact you?

More trucks have been added.

The source of the oil is from a business in Castlemahon. Just heard it mentioned on the radio.

Means that the River Arra is at risk also.:( If it started in Castlemahon in the Deel then it has gone through Rathkeale and the whole way along that route to where the Deel joins the Shannon.

Kess73 wrote: »
    More trucks have been added.

The source of the oil is from a business in Castlemahon. Just heard it mentioned on the radio.

Means that the River Arra is at risk also.:( If it started in Castlemahon in the Deel then it has gone through Rathkeale and the whole way along that route to where the Deel joins the Shannon.

fairly certain the Arra will not be affected, its on the "safe side" side of the spillage, if you get my drift. spillage was on the Rathkeale side of NCW so any streams/rivers west of it should be ok.(but i'm no expert)
    was'nt diesel as first thought,more like crude oil,therefore even more difficult to eradicate.

news first broke on Thursday evening. was on every hourly News on 95fm after that. was prominent in the 8am news on RTE radio1, Newstalk,TodayFM, on the 1 o'clock news on RTE1,also Six1 news and at 9pm.
    unless the council call round to every house individually cant think what else they could do.
    Maybe they could air it an ad-break during the Simpsons..;)

ok look lads...lay off the man all right. I dont listen to any of the news programs. I gave up listening to them about a year ago when I seemed to be getting taxed more every time i listened to them. If i want to find out something about Limerick it comes from this forum not live95fm or some other radio or news station. I found out about the water issues from a bmw owners forum!!!

If everyone knew about this well before those of us who didnt hear it on the news why wasn't it posted until I posted it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

This is very disappointing. I used to fish the Deel when visiting relatives out near Rathkeale, I believe salmon had been returning in greater numbers in the past few years. They would just be after spawning this year, so this isn't good at all.

ok look lads...lay off the man all right. I dont listen to any of the news programs. I gave up listening to them about a year ago when I seemed to be getting taxed more every time i listened to them. If i want to find out something about Limerick it comes from this forum not live95fm or some other radio or news station. I found out about the water issues from a bmw owners forum!!!

If everyone knew about this well before those of us who didnt hear it on the news why wasn't it posted until I posted it?

No problem with not listening to the news but it's a bit crappy to come on here and be name calling about the council officials. I notice you didnt come on with that attitude even though you found out by accident as well.

How else were they to get awareness out there if they didnt get it covered in the news (National and Local).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hi - Just wanted to admit I was out of order with my comments earlier in the thread - apologies.

- I was just home from a crap week in UK with work and had drank about 3 pints of lake water before reading of boil notice so was a bit irritated.

Lol at the Simpsons comment! In future it looks like I'll have to tune into live 95 fm with their news bulletins about the cops in Limerick etc.

Reminds me of last winter when when had no electricity unexpectedly and it turned out it was a planned outage by the ESB who had announced it in....... Mass!!! 18th century stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Is wyeths in Askeaton closed as a result?

• Advertisement

Who's responsible?.

Benny Cake wrote: »

I would imagine they have their own water supply, or at least a back up water supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Benny Cake wrote: »

Yes, production is stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Yes, production is stopped.

That's serious. Could have implications for the workforce if they don't get up and running soon. Wyeths wont take any chances as they cant risk contaminating their product.,

Who's responsible?.

The IMF.........:):)

The IMF.........:):)

128883321459949058.jpg

Who's responsible?.

A company in Castlemahon.

fairly certain the Arra will not be affected, its on the "safe side" side of the spillage, if you get my drift. spillage was on the Rathkeale side of NCW so any streams/rivers west of it should be ok.(but i'm no expert)
    was'nt diesel as first thought,more like crude oil,therefore even more difficult to eradicate.

The Arra runs into an affected part of the Deel so there is a risk to any fish that try to reach the Arra as they have to use the Deel to do so. There is also the risk that poisoned fish/birds/mammals may enter the Arra and when they die get eaten by other animals and cause death by secondary posioning. :(

Fingers crossed it stays clean.

Ya, reported to be a transport company in Castlemahon.
    C.C. stress that it was an accidental discharge and not malicious in any way.
    not much consolation i know.!!

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    The Arra runs into an affected part of the Deel so there is a risk to any fish that try to reach the Arra as they have to use the Deel to do so. There is also the risk that poisoned fish/birds/mammals may enter the Arra and when they die get eaten by other animals and cause death by secondary posioning. :(

Fingers crossed it stays clean.

fingers crossed indeed. have any dead fish/wildlife been reported so far?

Advertisement