Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tuna in dog food

• 20-01-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭

been mixing one tin of aldi tuna through dogs main dog food a day,what are peoples opinions on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

sounds a bit fishy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I wouldnt be adding everyday, maybe once or twice a week is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

sounds good,plenty of omega 3 but maybe only twice a week or he may get the skuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Mine get it every day. They love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Make sure it's not in brine. Way to salty for the mutts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

No harm at all but some people feel that the risk of mercury contamination makes it dangerous , my view is that if safe for humans it should be safe for dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

sounds good,plenty of omega 3 but maybe only twice a week or he may get the skuts!
    the skuts? but its full of protein.

I give my dog large tins of pink salmon a few times a week 1.59 a can from tesco...... no skuts,never,just a shiny healthy coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭boodee

Delancey wrote: »
    No harm at all but some people feel that the risk of mercury contamination makes it dangerous , my view is that if safe for humans it should be safe for dogs.

Humans are not supposed to eat tuna more than once or twice a week.

I was told the tuna in oil is great for their joints.

It's a good idea for the rottie, she'll love it.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

Make sure it's not in brine. Way to salty for the mutts.

Interestingly brine is 1% salt, dry food starts at 1% salt!!! Nearly as salty as salted peanuts. Now and again its fine but not every day. Imagine dry fed dogs are eating salty peanuts for every single meal......

Tuna isn't a pellagic fish so it's not really oily, damn all omega 3. Aim instead for oily fish like mackerel / sardines / herring. Fresh and whole is best oil and protein (need to be frozen for 3 days to kill all known fish parasites). Buy in bulk from fish factories. Heads best nutrition!! And free. Wolves gorging on dying salmon only eat the heads!! Hardcore.

If going tinned route brine is better than veg oil (veg oil is high in omega 6 which is actually proflammatory to omega 3's antiinflammatory!! - do quick google search on this to have it explained). Also dry fed dogs that are low in vit E do not need the extra veg oil stress. If looking for omega 3 effect need oily fish stored in brine (bit salty) or better yet fresh water, or the real thing. Lovely.

Advertisement