Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA in Waterford??? anybody hear this?

Options
  • 20-01-2012 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Ive heard something about IKEA coming to Waterford to open their second store? ive googled it and there is something on it but the link wont open! has anybody else heard about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Yea I heard it before it was on some website but the information on the website was totally rediculous, nothing stable to it. I really doubt its true! As much as id love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

No! Haven't heard this, but would like it to happen. Would be a boost for Waterford if it were true. Lot of people from Kilkenny, Wexford, Carlow and probably Cork would rather come to IKEA here than trip to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I can't see it. Surely somewhere like Mahon in Cork would be a much better spot for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

It's coming alright. But we have to assemble it ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭EASYNEWS

In these economic times I don't think this will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Waterford is an unemployment blackspot so why set up here doesn't make sense. They need mass through-put to survive. Cork at best sadly.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds quite mad, Cork, Limerick and Galway are headed of us in every queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Waterford is an unemployment blackspot so why set up here doesn't make sense. They need mass through-put to survive. Cork at best sadly.:(

Well the only thing with IKEA is that peope will travel to shop there. I've gone to IKEA in Dublin 3 times and I know loads of others who have too, so if it did open here it would be handier for people living in the surrounding counties. Not to mention the amount of people it would hire.... We can only dream :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

From what I remember of this story, it originated during the General Election campaign from Joe Conway, an Independent candidate from Tramore. He didn't base it on any contact with IKEA, or any other large-scale retailers and instead referred to changes in legislation that would allow retailers like IKEA set-up in Waterford, alluding to him trying to attract IKEA to the area should he be elected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

It's going to open on the Outer Ring Road, just before the 100km/h zone by Marks & Spencer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Thats great for Waterford if IKEA come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

EASYNEWS wrote: »
    In these economic times I don't think this will happen.

That has nothing to do with it, IKEA DUBLIN makes 2 EURO MILLION per day!

There is an IKEA in Belfast and ive heard that IKEA know that alot of people are travelling up the north and by passing Dublin to get there!

So another shop futher down south is thought to outway a price difference and the cost of Petrol/Diesel!

It would be a huge boost to Waterford and the government have said that Waterford is a priority for jobs investment, who knows maybe theyve tried to persuade them to move here who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

There is an IKEA in Belfast and ive heard that IKEA know that alot of people are travelling up the north and by passing Dublin to get there!

So another shop futher down south is thought to outway a price difference and the cost of Petrol/Diesel!

It would be a huge boost to Waterford and the government have said that Waterford is a priority for jobs investment, who knows maybe theyve tried to persuade them to move here who knows!

You're right, economics has nothing to do with whether a decision will be taken to open a shop. Consumers having less money to spend doesn't make a difference to whether or not a shop will make money! ;)

2 million euro a day? now that's something for which I'd like to see a source.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shalashaska

It would be great for employment if IKEA came to town, not to mention the construction jobs it would bring (IKEA stores are absolutely humongous). However, time will tell ...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 realworld82

my word, making 2 million a day, so they have a daily turnover of about 20 million per day or yearly turnover of just over 700 million. i thought this site had moderators to stop this kind of nonsense.
    anyway more chance of IKEA moving to the Saltee Islands than Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

IKEA's policy is to open one store, there has to be at least a population of 3 million customers in an area or country , considering we have 2 on this island they wont be opening another one anywhere for a long time.

Still though, can't beat a good rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

2 million profit a day is pie in the sky alright, More like 2million turnover in a week. Still makes it one of Ikeas most Sucessful stores though.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/0608/1224298575500.html

As for one in Waterford, Wouldn't it be great. It'll arrive just before the olympics i imagine. or possibly a ESA launch center.

There just isnt the population here. And the links to further counties still only brings it to 500k. If Ikea were to be strategic, Limerick would probably be the best spot. Handy to get to From Cork, Galway and the midlands. Cork would be the obvious site though.

Sure we have Ez living now who needs the Swedes :D

Can't help but visualise the Olympics opening ceremony in the RSC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Can't help but visualise the Olympics opening ceremony in the RSC.

and some kind of music festival with international acts...

Don't be silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Even €14m a week turnover seems very ambitious. what the hell would the average spend be like?

Imagine the amount of shops that would close down if Ikea opened here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I heard that if they were to open a new store it'd be around mallow or thurles as they'd capture the limerick, cork and Kerry market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

yea the differenece is that everyone can get to dublin in about2 hours on the motorway at this stage.

if they where to open another store itwould be in county cork. somewhere accessible from the motorway to take in the rest of the country. it woul make no sense to open a store in the countries 5th biggest city. you may say that it would take in wexford and kilkenny but cork would take in kerry and waterford. limerick would take in clare galway (all the wester railway corridor) tipp and kerry. it make more sense to be over by limerick/cork than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

€2 million a week sounds too low for me, a very large supermarket would do €750,000 per week and how many of htem are they in the country. I'd say I'll be well past Ikea when they open another store in Ireland, not a hope. But they could really develop a successful online shopping business.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭stephen1968

gscully wrote: »
    It's going to open on the Outer Ring Road, just before the 100km/h zone by Marks & Spencer.

so that will be close to all the dog sh*t on the outer ring road......:D

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    €2 million a week sounds too low for me, a very large supermarket would do €750,000 per week and how many of htem are they in the country. I'd say I'll be well past Ikea when they open another store in Ireland, not a hope. But they could really develop a successful online shopping business.

I read somewhere when it opened first it was taking in €450,000 a day !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Is this a true story or bull??

Advertisement