Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA in Waterford??? anybody hear this?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

is their self assembly packs really that good, I mean can you assemble a wardrobe and leave it free standing without having to nail it to the wall to stop it falling over.

Or is it just the quality of veneer/finish that makes them soo good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Oh wow that would be some boost to Waterford. I am in love with Ikea but its not worth making the journey to Dublin just to go there, their website really don't do it justice!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

I highly doubt that Waterford would get an IKEA given that the one in Dublin isn't all that inaccessible to anyone in the southeast. It is definitely worth the trek! It's only roughly under 2 hours and you can spend the whole day there in a very family friendly atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Was never in an IKEA til I came to Perth, they are some size of a store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I love it there and the meatballs in the restaurant are delicious!

• Advertisement

michellie wrote: »
    I love it there and the meatballs in the restaurant are delicious!

.... and soooooo cheap! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

probably should lock this. it aint coming and this is just teasing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Everybody saying that we don't have the population for an ikea, have any of ye ever been to the canaries? Most of the islands have an ikea and none of them are bigger than a standard tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

my word, making 2 million a day, so they have a daily turnover of about 20 million per day or yearly turnover of just over 700 million. i thought this site had moderators to stop this kind of nonsense.
    anyway more chance of IKEA moving to the Saltee Islands than Waterford

Sorry i did mean to say 2 million per week of course if your annoyed so much by posts on here you know where to go dont you?

Heres the link
    http://www.thepurplepatch.ie/blog/2011/06/08/ikea%E2%80%99s-dublin-store-is-the-most-profitable-in-europe/

The positioning of IKEA in Waterford would be for its location between Cork and Dublin i'd imagine, Im sure they would be paid to move to Waterford, where as Cork would cost consideribly higher in land costs, Im sure it would be much cheaper for them, and they would be expecting their customers to travel there from surrounding counties the likes of which see IKEA Dublin as just too far to drive to.

Its amazing how open to positive thinking some people really are, no wonder everybody is going round so glum with all these positive people!

I know it probably is a long shot but all i aksed was did anybody else here of it! no need to have a Connery!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Would we (not Waterford, but Ireland in general) not be better off buying furniture manufactured here, rather than sending millions of our money out of the economy?

It's also funny that despite the property bubble bursting and no new houses being built that there is still such a large market of people purchasing furniture. I thought we were all cut to the bone financially, yet we are spending millions on new furniture we (in most cases I'd say) don't even need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd say that's wrong, the "true Celtic Tiger" then credit boom era lasted up until 2007 so 4/5 years later plenty of furniture and fittings probably need replacement, people in work who are now not trading up cars or houses or going on 2/3 weekend breaks plus a summer holiday every year might well be spending money on home and garden. Lets face it many know they are probably not going to be able to move for years!

I have to agree with spankmemunkey what is with the negativity?
    If it was to happen (and its not completely off the wall) it would mean amazing things for Waterford and the whole region. With the motorway it is very easily accessible!

In regards to not having money for furntiure etc ... the reason I ever buy anything in Ikea is because it is way cheaper than any other furniture shop and their stuff is cool and different! It is modern and not cheap looking!!! Your euro goes ten times further!!!
    Whereas in argos or the likes you pay for what you get. Their stuff is cheap looking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I'm sorry...but this is like Kensutz coming on this board and proclaiming that the Olympics are coming to Waterford in 2028...and then everyone telling him he's talking nonsense...and then accusing those people of being too negative!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 realworld82

talk of ikea coming to waterford reminds me of bertie saying outside the dail last year it was a shame we didnt build the stadium he wanted out by the M50 because we would have an equal chance to hold the world cup like Qatar

She Devil wrote: »
    I have to agree with spankmemunkey what is with the negativity?
    If it was to happen (and its not completely off the wall) it would mean amazing things for Waterford and the whole region. With the motorway it is very easily accessible!

In regards to not having money for furntiure etc ... the reason I ever buy anything in Ikea is because it is way cheaper than any other furniture shop and their stuff is cool and different! It is modern and not cheap looking!!! Your euro goes ten times further!!!
    Whereas in argos or the likes you pay for what you get. Their stuff is cheap looking!

Agree totally!

I dont think IKEA Dublin set up shop just for Dubliners, they knew from previous experience that they would have a catchment of many other surrounding counties!

Waterford needs investment and is ripe for the picking for a large multinational to come in and call the shots, in a recession they would be like hero's coming into a place like this and im sure all local politicians and county council would do their best get them here! that said they didnt exactly roll out the red carpet for Marks and Spencers who didnt want to take their crap,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

It would be a great thing to come to Waterford. I'd be able to start up a flat pack building job haha loves making up all that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 realworld82

Agree totally!

I dont think IKEA Dublin set up shop just for Dubliners, they knew from previous experience that they would have a catchment of many other surrounding counties!

Waterford needs investment and is ripe for the picking for a large multinational to come in and call the shots, in a recession they would be like hero's coming into a place like this and im sure all local politicians and county council would do their best get them here! that said they didnt exactly roll out the red carpet for Marks and Spencers who didnt want to take their crap,

i think the opposite, the current state of waterfords retail offering is due to the exact policy of surrounding the city with multinational retail outlets which all operate on a low cost model and provide very few jobs in comparison to locally owned and operated stores.
    while they do serve a purposed and benefit if positioned correctly, business models which are based on vacuuming up all available retail spend in very few outlets is hugely damaging to local economies, a fact that is proven by walking the streets of our city where you will find it difficult to purchase some very basic household items or fresh foods and instead be forced to travel to the ring road or out of town store.
    I would not be against IKEA in waterford but i would rather support a locally owned store as much as i can and then if needed make a once of trip to IKEA when needed

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

i think the opposite, the current state of waterfords retail offering is due to the exact policy of surrounding the city with multinational retail outlets which all operate on a low cost model and provide very few jobs in comparison to locally owned and operated stores.
    while they do serve a purposed and benefit if positioned correctly, business models which are based on vacuuming up all available retail spend in very few outlets is hugely damaging to local economies, a fact that is proven by walking the streets of our city where you will find it difficult to purchase some very basic household items or fresh foods and instead be forced to travel to the ring road or out of town store.
    I would not be against IKEA in waterford but i would rather support a locally owned store as much as i can and then if needed make a once of trip to IKEA when needed

I disagree, it's the greedy landlord with upwards only rent, if a shop can't turn a profit due to high rent then they cannot compete with the multinational retail units - is it not better to get something rather than nothing for rent?

I agree with both of the last posts as strange as that may sound, could it be that whilst visiting IKEA in Waterford visitors may be attracted to other parts of this county and lets be honest IKEA isnt exactly Tesco or Harvey Norman is it? I think its much much larger than all of these stores!

For example Butlerstown retail park there where Hardly Normal is and Halfords B an Q That would be the Size althogether of IKEA if you compare it to IKEA Dulblin

The entire car park would probably be the same size as their parking space!

Its a huge thing altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Ireland needs export industries, let them be Irish or Foreign, these are the only ones which creates wealth and jobs.
    IKEA is an import business, bringing in foreign goods and exporting profits. Taking account of the net movement of money (after rates, wages, energy costs etc) out of the country as well as the damage to irish owned businesses, IKEA actually costs jobs.
    I was a member of the Convenience Stores & Newsagents Association for a few years and studied retailing in many european countries.
    Most other european countries work hard to maintain as much native retailers as possible, IKEA's Sweeden is a prime example. Non Sweedish stores, apart from the few big name fashion stores, are almost non existant and would not be supported by most shoppers.
    I am not against foreign stores locating in Ireland, we sell produce to other countries and we are part of a global trading system. People are entitled to freedom of choice.
    However the sheer scale of foreign stores in our country is staggering, costing us dearly. The total spend in retail outlets is falling year on year proving that no extra money is being circulated or jobs created.
    I am no longer in retail but still know what it is like to try and run a business in Ireland, especially when up against the might of the multinationals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement