Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tower. IT'S GOT A CINEMA IN IT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

• 20-01-2012 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

OFFICIAL MEMBERS OF 'THE TOWER' CLUB:

Andrew76
    o1s1n
    safetyboy
    SteveSI
    Enternow
    Adultappleflavouredbeveragemale
    Jack Burton
    Pyongyang

Copies available to buy on the cheap?: SOLD OUT! (AGAIN!) CLICK!

I know, I know, I posted about this in the 'i got some stuff today' thread, but I couldn't resist starting a thread in case it passes people by and they miss some banter on a truly MEGA game.

It's basically a Saturn port of the PC game Sim Tower (or a variant of). Seriously, check out the video below that's the opening for the Saturn version. How good does it look?

I LOVE the cute touches, like the cinema and the actors talking. The phones ringing. The cool music. Everything.

It's just bloody fantastic and I hope it inspires some of you lot to check it out. It's import friendly as it's mostly icon driven so you've no excuse!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've never heard of this one, looks really interesting though.

Is it pricey?

/Runs off to ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

o1s1n wrote: »
    Is it pricey?

Super cheap and import friendly (language barrier issues). I'm trying to whip up a frenzy for it on Twitter right now. I've just convinced one guy to go and buy it, which he's promptly done after watching the video. :D

However, I've watched the video about 80,000 times now on loop and I can't stop saying out loud "I love you" like the guy on the movie screen in the cinema!

What an awesome game! I have the guide/art book coming to me soon from .jp too. Lots of nice pictures of cool towers in it to drool and be nerdy about. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

You know what else had a cinema?

DUKE ****ING NUKEM 3D BITCH! ;)

Never even knew Sim Tower existed.

Absolutely love the pixelated style of the Tower.

How the does game work?

Do you decide wether to have offices or canteens, or is it more involved?

Master of the Universe

You weren't lying about the price, I just bought a copy for $3.85 :D

Going to be one of those cases where the postage is more than the game.

You basically build your tower from scratch. It's not OTT like some of the later 'sim' games. No laying of water pipes, electricity grids and other boring, time-consuming bunk.

Just build as high as you can, build shops and stuff and attract loads of people to your tower. It's mostly icon driven so it's gaijin friendly for the most part. I don't think there;s much fiscal stuff to do. Most of it would be self explanatory or guessable anyway.

The opening video won me over though, for less than a fiver you can bag a minty copy (mine is brand new and factory sealed). You'd be mad to pass it up if you have a Saturn. I believe there is a GBA version too that came later. Not sure if it was localized though.

I'm hoping o1s1n has returned from eBay having purchased a copy. That will make two copies bought tonight (three if you include mine). :D

• Advertisement

I rest my case. He was buying as I was typing. :pac:

I'll play it properly over the weekend. Can't wait to start building cinemas and little underground carparks and seedy cabaret bars! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Going to be one of those cases where the postage is more than the game.

Yet still under a tenner. Bargain. ;)

waveform wrote: »
    Do you decide wether to have offices or canteens, or is it more involved?

According to one piece I read, you can build a tower full of shoe shops if you want! :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Yet still under a tenner. Bargain. ;)

Hmm, o1s1n and someone on Twitter bought copies tonight, will Greek Mother be joining 'The Tower' club? :D

Photo-10-SmokingRoom-500.jpg

Master of the Universe

Did you buy yours from Hit-Japan? Seems they have multiple copies sold.

Oh and they have a sale on too at the moment. Some nice bargains over there!

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Hit-Japan-Video-Games-and-Anime

Very tempted by Elevator Action Returns, Burning Rangers, Guardian Heroes..and there are some nicely priced Saturn Shmups too.

And that's only the feckin Saturn games. They've millions of other ones.

• Advertisement

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Hmm, o1s1n and someone on Twitter bought copies tonight, will Greek Mother be joining 'The Tower' club? :D

Photo-10-SmokingRoom-500.jpg

I have. :D

Lol I bet some ebay sellers are curious as to the rush of buyers! Probably thinking wtf is this valuable all of a sudden. :pac:

Master of the Universe

Hahaha. I see it's now up to 7 sold on Hit Japan.

Only three left!

I have. :D

HAHA! Hilarious! So that's three copies purchased in the space of an hour or so. Four in total. Any more folks joining The Tower club? :)

Have a look at the guide book that's available. I bought that elsewhere (probably available on eBay though). It's like a mini art book. Very cool, lots of nice 'towers' to look at, if that floats your boat. Well, it does mine anyway!

In retrospect, maybe it is a good idea to get in now? This mini rush of buyers may spark a super price jump come the morning?! :p

Hahaha. I see it's now up to 7 sold on Hit Japan.

Only three left!

Seriously? How many was it at before yourself and Mr. 76 bought copies? Very funny, but at the same time, very cool. I hope lots of folks pick it up, play it for a bit, then get infuriated when we suddenly find out there's a miniscule part of the game that is text heavy! :D

Should be grand though, if you can play an early 'Sim' game, you can play The Tower. I'm sure there are translated guides online somewhere. Plus I've my incomprehensible guide book coming soon to help... :p

Did you buy yours from Hit-Japan? Seems they have multiple copies sold.

Oh and they have a sale on too at the moment. Some nice bargains over there!

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Hit-Japan-Video-Games-and-Anime

Very tempted by Elevator Action Returns, Burning Rangers, Guardian Heroes..and there are some nicely priced Saturn Shmups too.

And that's only the feckin Saturn games. They've millions of other ones.

Yer a fecker for posting that link!! I was happy to ignore the "See other items" link... Could have sworn there would be a Raiden Hu-card there but no such luck. :( Image fight is tasty though.

Master of the Universe

€7.82 in total posted from Japan. Cheapest long distance auction ever for me I think!
    Seriously? How many was it at before yourself and Mr. 76 bought copies? Very funny, but at the same time, very cool. I hope lots of folks pick it up, play it for a bit, then get infuriated when we suddenly find out there's a miniscule part of the game that is text heavy! :D

Should be grand though, if you can play an early 'Sim' game, you can play The Tower. I'm sure there are translated guides online somewhere. Plus I've my incomprehensible guide book coming soon to help... :p

There were 5 sold. So we brought it up to 7. Would be hilarious if we managed to get people to pick up the other 3. Purely so the guys shipping them out end up utterly confused as to why this game is so popular in Ireland all of a sudden :D

Image fight is tasty though.

I have Image Fight for the PC Engine. A fine game it is too sir. :)

I've updated the first post and will update it should more folks join 'The Tower' club!

I wonder if you can create saves or screenshots of the towers we'll build? Would be cool to show them off I think.

Master of the Universe

Yer a fecker for posting that link!! I was happy to ignore the "See other items" link... Could have sworn there would be a Raiden Hu-card there but no such luck. :( Image fight is tasty though.

When I saw they had a sale on I couldn't resist :(

Browsed a lot of stuff but closed it all down and just paid for The Tower. I'd have ended up broke for next month if I looked over that anymore, there was some amazing stuff.

Almost bought this. Purely as it's again, just so damn cheap -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHRONO-TRIGGER-Super-Famicom-Nintendo-SFC-SNES-Square-Japan-ccc-sf-/300628140168?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fed56088

Hit Japan is a very dangerous eBay store. I have to limit my browsing time there else I end up going nuts. I'd buy about 90 mahjong games and that super rare copy of The Tower Vol. II guide that's £51 (I haven't looked honest!) right now if so. :p

Is this the one you lads bought?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Saturn-TOWER-Import-JAPAN-/360209698798

It's now sold 8 copies. Last one sold 4 minutes ago! Only two copies left everyone! Get in quick as the price might go up if they cop on they sold that stack of copies in the space of an hour and the last ones until today sold in October 2011!

• Advertisement

Yep that's the one I got. Worked out at €7.82 all in. :)

Master of the Universe

Hah! That's it alright, this is turning out to be pretty hilarious.

I may buy the remaining copies for the smell of investment :D

Master of the Universe

private listing -- buyers' identities protected US $3.85 1 20-Jan-12 23:44:10 GMT --
    private listing -- buyers' identities protected US $3.85 1 20-Jan-12 23:12:48 GMT --
    Member Id: astro_oisin ( 469Feedback score is 100 to 499) US $3.85 1 20-Jan-12 23:10:02 GMT

So the other one is Andrew76...who's our mystery buyer? Show yourself!!!

Hmm, I wonder who this mystery buyer is. I don't think it's the person on Twitter who bought that one as it's after the time you lads bought yours. Could possibly be another Twitter user? Or Sera? She has a Saturn no?

Unmask yourself silent rogue and let us all bask in your glory! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I picked up one, damn you guys!!

safetyboy wrote: »

:pac: Good man!

We can all blame Pyong if it doesn't make us rich.

Looks like your getting chucked on the list then. :D

2 copies to go!

We can all blame Pyong if it doesn't make us rich.

...and if you end up hating the game. :D

Only 1 copy left from that seller. :D

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Hah! Brilliant! This can be like one of those dodgy pyramid schemes. Get people in early while the going is good!
    ...and if you end up hating the game. :D

Wait a minute, we're all buying a game called 'The Tower' on world fetish day on recommendation of the serial sniffer?

Is this the new Cho Aniki? :pac:

I don't believe what I'm seeing! Who's browsing this forum right now?

If both copies sell at near enough the same time, it can only be SteveSI surely? :D

SHOW YOURSELF SILENT KNAVE!

Master of the Universe

Currently Active Users
    27 (13 members & 14 guests)

o1s1n*, Kinski, johnny_ultimate, Steve SI, Jack burton, Pyongyang, keithgeo, deconduo, Yreval, safetyboy

There really isn't enough copies of this game to go around it would seem.

Maybe we should do this once a month, find the cheapest game possible being sold in multiple quantities and see how quickly we can sell it out :pac:

It can't be SteveSI, there's only one copy left. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Nope, not me this time lads :)

I'm restricting my retro purchases for a week or so while I buy some non retro hardware.

Hmm, someone bought them then as they've all sold out now! :D

Did anyone here buy the last two copies?

• Advertisement

Hmm, someone bought them then as they've all sold out now! :D

Did anyone here buy the last two copies?

I got the last one. Said feck it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm sorry, what the frak happened last night?
    Did someone take leave of there senses and go mental buying games from Japan again?
    Honestly, with such vulnerable people here you'd imagine some kind soul would have reported it and we could have saved a few....

At least it wasn't something really damaging, like Cho Aniki!

Steve SI wrote: »
    I got the last one. Said feck it :)

Excellent! though we now need to find you a second, sealed copy to go with it. :)

Also need to find another batch of discounted copies to 'flash mob' purchase. You missed out Adultappleflavouredbeveragemale!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

Is there a terrorist attack mode like the disaster icons you could use in Sim City 2000? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bowser stomping out of the gloom to give your tower a new open air pavilion!

I gotta play me some SimCity on the Snes, it's all kinds of awesome, I have SimCity 2000 but it's just not as much fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Bowser stomping out of the gloom to give your tower a new open air pavilion!

I gotta play me some SimCity on the Snes, it's all kinds of awesome, I have SimCity 2000 but it's just not as much fun.

I never could get a Megalopolis on the Snes. A Metropolis of about 300k I think is the best I got, some 200k shy of a Megalopolis :( Epicly good game though

Two more copies became available for a good price (these are sealed):

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Sega-Saturn-TOWER-Mint-Import-JAPAN-sega-ss-/360257622424

Any takers to join the club? :D

Two more copies became available for a good price (these are sealed):

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Sega-Saturn-TOWER-Mint-Import-JAPAN-sega-ss-/360257622424

Any takers to join the club? :D

I caved :o

Master of the Universe

I think we've found boards.ie's new Vectrex. At least time it won't cost people a fortune :pac:

I think we've found boards.ie's new Vectrex. At least time it won't cost people a fortune :pac:

I'm a total sucker for gaming bandwagons :D

EnterNow wrote: »
    I caved :o

You were weak, like me ;)

Steve SI wrote: »
    You were weak, like me ;)

I havn't bought anything gaming related in months, so feck it, what the hell...it may as well be a sealed Jap copy of a game I know nothing about. I actually think I'll leave it sealed & instead crack open a cd-r. I have a thing about opening sealed games that have made it this long without being opened :o

HAH! That's 6 copies purchased in Ireland in the space of 24hrs. 1 left, should be on commision!

HAH! That's 6 copies purchased in Ireland in the space of 24hrs. 1 left, should be on commision!

We all know o1s1n is on comission from the big guns on ebay for this kind of thing, so it could happen. Maybe whack off an email & ask them?

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    We all know o1s1n is on comission from the big guns on ebay for this kind of thing, so it could happen. Maybe whack off an email & ask them?

Lies! Baseless lies!

People in work keep saying I must be on comission from Netflix with the amount I've been metioning it.

I'm in the wrong career :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement